As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] Thread's dead, baby; thread's dead.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Terra

BSB: 5 x 2.88 Non-elemental Magic attacks + Burst Mode

ATTACK ⇒ 4 x 2.62 Fire + Non-elemental magic attacks to one target.
    DEFEND ⇒ 4 x 2.62 Water + Non-elemental magic attacks to one target.

That's what KBP has on their site.

And what are her burst mode buffs? The standard Haste, or does she get anything extra, like Pecil does?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I don't think she gets an Aura.

But.

The same banner with Terra's BSB also has Balthier's Aldebaran, which has Fire-break. It's the perfect combo!

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Terra's BSB is pretty nice I think, it makes it easier to run Terra as a Summoner since you just need enough hones to get the Burst activated, and then you can use the commands from there. Those commands also hit pretty hard, like harder than -ja spells, and can't be outright resisted.

Golbez drops MBO by the way. Just like Kefka, which is a little silly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Geez.

I have 72 mythril right now. I have a bunch of story realms to run through, and maybe I can scrape together a total of 100 before the breakout ends.

Which gives me 2 banners to pull on. And now I don't know which ones to do it on.

Banner 3 has 2 potential sources of Magic Blink. One for Selphie, who I've already leveled up near to max, and one on Tyro, which gives him a ridiculously good Burst Mode on top of giving everyone Magic Blink, Shellga, and Protectga (one of the moves is break Attack and Magic, the other is break Defense and Resistance). It's also got Shadow Fang and Hymn of the Fayth (Major Regen, on top of Medica, is never a bad idea)

Banner 4 has goddamn Shout, Inaugural Parade (so, two hastegas with offense boosts), Faithful Companion (another Major Regen option), and also Apocalypse Shield and Faris's Kindred Spirit (dual defense break)

And finally, banner 5 has Blood of Espers, Strahl Strafe, Sentinel Grimoire, Tailwind, and Cleansing Strike

I legit have no idea what to pull on at this point. Choosing any one of them means not choosing all the amazing stuff on the other banners.

I suppose if I had to choose 2, I'd go for Banners 4 and 5. Tyro's BSSB is legit amazing, but it's still on Tyro, and I find myself questioning what I'd do with the Burst Mode after applying both breaks. Hm... Then again, the ability to immediately set up almost all the mitigation a party needs at the start of a battle is tempting. So maybe 3 and 5? Since Terra is already my favorite mage, and I just got a Hastega, on a Support? Then again, Shout is the best Hastega in the game, probably. Argh.

Enlong on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Got Vega 42s (Sazh's gun) on my 100-gem

A Hastega+Shellga ain't bad.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    Got Vega 42s (Sazh's gun) on my 100-gem

A Hastega+Shellga ain't bad.

A kindred spirit!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I have 100 mythril, no mouth, and must scream... And figure out what the hell to pull on

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    For posterity:

Banner 2 100 gem = garbage

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    did a 15 pull, got 2 drills for Edgar, now I have a 7* Drill, damned good for synergy that's for sure.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    @Enlong banner 4 has Faris' Sea Lord's Broadside, which is the AoE dual offense break, not Kindred Spirit. Definitely the better of the two, and it's a funnier animation to boot.

• Options
    For people trying to figure out which banner to pull on, we had a discussion of this a few days back. Most people suggested using a point system, with 1 point for every item you really want, and 0.5 points for ones you wouldn't hate to have, and then see which banner has the highest total. I personally suggest using the drop percentages, which are 1% for BSB and SSB items and 1.5% for regular SB items, but I can see using 1 point per item because you would naturally value B/SSBs more even if they are less common. You could even give a bonus point or half point for an item that would be game changing for you if you want, like Sentinel's Grimoire for example.

For a relatively new account, I think banners 4 and 5 are the best options.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Ah, thanks. I saw a bow, and made assumptions.

That does sound a bit tempting, as having an AOE damaging offense breaker would allow me to retire Mog and swap Selphie back in.

How does Faris fare when using Thief's Revenge? Can she max out the hits?

edit:

Ah, seeing as she has no MCII, probably not great. She'd probably get more mileage out of using Support and acting as a Breakdowner. Combining her and Sazh together would allow for... but I'm getting ahead of myself. Theorycrafting teams before I've pulled on anything.

I guess I'll definitely pull on 4, if nothing else. It's got a bunch of stuff I'd love to have. Inaugural Parade would be wonderful for mage fights.

Enlong on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    It's worth noting that Faris will get her MC2 in about a month, should you happen to pull her relic, but can't quite justify her placement on the team. One month isn't very long in the grand scheme, and I've been running 2 level 65 characters on my A-team because they're that good when paired up with the right SBs and such.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Is anyone else finding the game connects really slow this afternoon?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Faris should already have gotten her MC2, but we skipped that event because DeNa. She'll get her MC2 in the next FFV event instead, which is just over a month away.

4-hit Thief's Raid is still a 2.8/4 ability with a 30% drain, so not at all useless. But yeah, she has Support 5 group stats.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yeah banner 4 is legit great for most everybody. I have somehow been fortunate enough that I won't be pulling on it, because I have three of the items (including 2 of the SSBs), a better version of Lenna's in Chocobo Brush and an equivalent mage hastega/faithga in Kefka's Cloak. I would like to have three of the items on the banner, but with so many duplicates or inferior choices I just am not going to draw. So onwards to banner 5 for me, as while I have Thyrus, getting SG would enable a much wider variety of team compositions. Plus both BSBs are good items (relatively generic BSBs, but still very good), and everything except Leon's armor would be fine, even a second Aldebaran wouldn't be the worst result. The real prizes for me would be SG and Kaiser Shield, the BSBs would be great to have, and I wouldn't mind having Ramza's Grand Armor to complete the set of Ramza relics. I really don't expect to get lucky on banner 5 like I did on banner 1, that was utterly ridiculous getting 7 banner relics in 23 (2x11 + 100 gem) draws.

-edit- Also Faris is actually really good. She has great skill access and can use swords. If you have her Yoichi Bow definitely find a place for her in your team if at all possible.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    If I didn't have a bunch of the stuff on it, I'd go with banner 4. It's over-stacked with FFV and FFT characters/relics, but those are pretty much all universally powerful characters and all solid relics, even if only a couple are major game changers. Of the others, Basch's shield gives the great "I don't have RS but I can fake it with this" SB, gives that delicious +Holy, and is actually useful for RS more than than once a year unlike Leon's, so it's fantastic too. Edea's crown has limited use, especially if you're starting out since a major mage party takes a lot to get up and running, but it is a source of haste and a good Res stick in a realm that's full of nasty magic. Vaan's katana is the only weak thing, but he's a really good unit on his own with both a wide range of usable skills and a wide range of equippable weapons. Because Thief's Raid using a battleaxe totally makes sense.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    For Banner 2, I did a 5 Mythril/ 1 Item pull. Got nothing. Working as expected.

Battle Reports (maybe on time to help somebody this week)

The Victim:
    Screenshot_2016-06-27-22-04-31.png

More details
    My setup:
    Screenshot_2016-06-27-22-06-06.png
    Looking at this now, I see that I accidentally never changed Yuna's RM from the + fight. Woops. Probably would have given her... Mako Might or Battleforged. That would have had her two (lol) weak tier Medicas ready to fire off more often.

The results:
    Screenshot_2016-06-27-22-04-49.png

The pre-battle portion this time was honing Silence Shell up to R3. Many brave GPO's and GIO's gave their lives to bring us this victory. I was a bit worried about the difficulty this time, but this was a one try clear. Tyro ate it because I experimentally tried removing Sap with Renewing Cure. Yunalesca's response two moves later? DEATH. Then she tried it again right afterwards to show she wasn't screwing around. Good thing I checked, Tyro's job was already done for the fight, so it was fine. The end of this fight was just stupid. I had Cloud charging a Blade Beam and Rikku charging a Grenade. Yunalesca probably hit me 4-5 times before they went off. Rikku was stealth MvP for the fight. Whether it was nailing Silence Shell first try, keeping her own health up with Thief's Revenge, or doing a surprising amount of damage with a Default SB when Osmose had stolen all my mojo in third Phase, she was just a helper all around. I like the idea of Rikku killing an incredibly powerful hell monster by throwing a standard frag grenade at its forehead.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    Wait, dang, the Kaiser Shield has +holy?

Well, that tears it. I will be pulling on banner 4, if nothing else. Always the chance of a no-star pull, but almost every item on that banner would be useful to me, if I pull anything at all. The only thing on that that I'd possibly struggle to use is Bartz's BSSB.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Well, that tears it. I will be pulling on banner 4, if nothing else. Always the chance of a no-star pull, but almost every item on that banner would be useful to me, if I pull anything at all. The only thing on that that I'd possibly struggle to use is Bartz's BSSB.

You sure? I just equipped my Kaiser Shield on Lightning because the item said it was +lightning

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Agrias's Kaiser Shield is +Lightning and on Banner 5.

Basch's Platinum Shield is +Holy and on Banner 4.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Decided against my better judgement to whale once on the Razzmatazz banner. Got Squall's Twin Blade. Hurray!

My FFVIII synergy is finally starting to come together. Now I just need a couple good support and healing items for that realm. Man, I sure would love Dreamstage and Mighty Guard.

• Options
    Ok, so I've been missing out the last few days so I spent most of today catching up on the events.

Knocked out Yunalesca Ultimate, Jecht Ultimate+, and all three of the current Rift bosses.

I felt pretty bad for Golbez because I was able to use my recently obtained Crushing Blow on Lightning. Went into that fight with Sephiroth (Fire), Lightning (Lightning), Agrias (Ice/holy), Ramza (Shout), and Lenna (Regen). The whole fight was basically me just spamming life siphon, Full charge (R1 on Seph), Saint's Cross, or whatever element needed to be hit on his barrier. When the moment came up for Lightning, it was 5 hits at 9999. I can see why people were loving that SSB against lightning weak enemies, it hits like a damned truck.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Ah whoops. Misremembered the shield names.

Upshot is that banner 4 is still the place to go if you scored Pecil's Ragnarok and want to get more bang for your buck.

• Options

Upshot is that banner 4 is still the place to go if you scored Pecil's Ragnarok and want to get more bang for your buck.

Bartz's BSSB is Ragnarok.

Cecil's BSSB is Excalibur.

:rotate:

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

You'll find any excuse to use it when you see the animation. Plus hey, his commands cover four elements, and split their damage among four hits, so it's really good when you need elemental damage vOv.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    100 gem.

a 5*!

its a generic sword with not even a shared SB.

• Options

Bartz's BSSB is Ragnarok.

Cecil's BSSB is Excalibur.

:rotate:

*THUD*

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I can attest that Pecil with Excalibur and Platinum Shield is a heck of a lot of fun. I would feel bad for Golbez, except he didn't drop a major orb for me so screw him. It feels weird to say this, but I really don't have room for complaint in terms of the RNG of the gacha system since the Tactics banner. I've done 13 50 mythril pulls, and 23 100 gem pulls for a total of 166 draws, and I have gotten 22 5* relics out of it. That is very nearly exactly the expected 13% draw rate. Not only that, of those 22 5* relics, I have used every single one in a challenging fight at some point, even the Genji Helm and Turk's Suit. It finally feels like the game doesn't hate me, which is super weird.

Unfortunately my buddy that talked me into coming back has had some pretty bad luck since my return, except for the Tactics banner where he got Platinum Sword and Defender. His best relic from a draw since then is probably Fran's Full Breakdown bow, which is tricky to use because Fran has terrible weapon access. And actually, now that I think about it, he did his Tactics draws before I returned, so really my return was when his luck went to crap. Hopefully he can snag something fun off either banner 5 or Rydia 1, or he might end up just playing his Japanese account as his main.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Banner 2 100 gem: offbanner 5* Flame Shield VI. Lame stats, no soul break, minor resist fire. Meh.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Banner 2 100 gem: Second Drill. It's a pretty solid weapon for Basch in FF6 dungeons, now.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I was able to master the difficulty 90 X mission, but I think that might have only been because of the fire weakness on the Cactuar. I took Squall as a RW and the flame burst command was doing like 12,000 per use. Poor Lightning could only muster 10,000 with her whole SSB. So I doubt I could put out the 170,000 damage necessary for Neo Bahamut. Although maybe it's worth trying just to see how close I can get, for future reference.

You should definitely give Bahamut at try with a Tauntaliate strategy. He only has two attacks, a single target phys attack which can be taunted, and megaflare counted down to every 6 turns, so you know exactly when it's coming and can defend it. You'll want to use Shout or Advance and focus all attacks through your retaliator though. It counters literally everything (but can't counter counters), and every fifth counter is an AoE attack.

Retaliate strategies are good for anything with nasty counter attacks in general.
    I took him down...barely. Missed the mastery bonus, but I think if I brought Basch instead of Cloud (for Draw Fire) and Vivi instead of Fran (ditching Magic Breakdown for Ruinga, for the trash, which I lost medals on) I might have gotten it, maybe. I didn't realize Advance would be so dramatic (it increased my damage from 1,200 to 6,000).

Bahamut can TOTALLY counter your counters, by the way. Which was the reason it was as hard as it was. Pretty sure countering both hits of Dual Slash increases Bahamut's counter counter by two, too. It was a mess. Megaflare was borderline irrelevant compared to all that; I think he only got to use it once.

Really? My bad. NORMAL things can't counter counters. That Bahamut was countering even SBs, so I knew it had special counter properties, but I guess it's not technically a counter attack, but rather some kind of weird scripted reaction-thing like the no-physicals allowed FFV boss.
    I had one more Advance in the chamber, so I went for the + mission on a whim, not really expecting much. I somehow mastered that one too. I had to savescum Nidhogg a bunch of times until it stopped spamming the breath attack (no way to get Divine Guardian up in the first round), and it was probably stupidly lucky that the second boss never once used either of his AoE attacks, but hey, free Alexander! And some MC2s I'll never be able to use!

You might as well try the ++ then. It's also primary single target physical things. Not entirely though, and that Delta Attack every 5ish turns can hurt. You can turn it off by Sleep/Confusing the one you're not focusing on though. Preferably the black magic one.
    For 20 stamina I suppose I might as well. 210,000 total health plus healing, though? With haste down most of the fight? Seems dubious, even if the incoming damage turns out to not be that bad. Party would probably be...

Basch, 47, 212 ATK, R2 Draw Fire/R4 Retaliate
    Lightning 40, 217 ATK, R4 Tempo Flurry, R2 Poison Buster, Crushing Blow
    Cecil 47, 183 ATK, R3 Double Cut, R2 Shellga
    Vivi 47, 206 MAG, R3 Ruinga, R? Sleep, Mass Mending
    Garnet 48, 196 MND, R3 Curaga, R2 Shellga, Divine Guardian

Has to wait until RWs recharge tomorrow, at any rate.

EDIT: I guess if Ruinga is only gonna hit for like 2000 or less (which seems likely) I should probably give Vivi Poison and Lightning Armor Break instead.
    The Magus Sisters in the ++ use kind of a lot of counterable attacks, so your offense will go farther than you might think if you're running Draw Fire + Retaliate. Sandy is 100% stuff you can counter, Cindy is 50% counterable and 50% heals (and should be getting killed first), Mindy is 15% stuff that gets negated by Draw Fire + Retaliate, 85% black magic...unless you confuse her, in which case she's 100% counterable. If you don't have the orbs for 4* Confuse Shell (probably not a good investment for you right now, but 60% success rate on the status), you can use 2* Cry (support, 30% success rate) or 1* Confuse (black magic, 30% success rate).

An alternative to confuse would be to have Cecil take Lure Magic + Reflect, so you're sending all of Mindy's black magic back at them.

Fry on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    God Edge's ability set is so bad. I think I blocked out just how bad it was.

Oh well, I'll teach it to him just to do it, never use him again, and have 2 nice FF4 weapons now.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

Oh well, I'll teach it to him just to do it, never use him again, and have 2 nice FF4 weapons now.

He can totally do the Powerchain -> Doppelblade combo all the kids have been raving about!

...yeah, I got nothin'.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Fry wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

He can totally do the Powerchain -> Doppelblade combo all the kids have been raving about!

...yeah, I got nothin'.

Can he use Dismissal? Thief's Revenge + Dismissal is my goto on Yuffie, so if you can replace Thief's edge with something on him and give him dismissal it would be solid. Can he Life Siphon?

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    If he had combat 4 or 5 he'd have a good skillset :(

Hot Combat 2 Thief 4 Celerity 5 Ninja 5.

RIP

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Edge is Combat 2, Celerity 5, Ninja 5 and Thief 4. I'm going to have to go with Dismissal and, uh, Tempo Flurry? His magic is not fantastic, so I wouldn't use the ninja magic on him, but maybe Flurry of Petals or Shadowsteel would work. Or you could use Shadowbind for the damage and just accept that everything important is immune to stop.

But yeah, Edge is pretty lackluster, like most ninjas that are not also full thieves. It's really tricky to make ninjas consistently work well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PowerChain+Dismissal? Dunno I got nothin.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    When SLG first came out, people were using Advance to have Tyro do a great amount of damage with Flurry of Petals. Should be even easier with Edge and Shout hitting softcap almost all the time.

Run Steal Armor in the second slot, Heroic Stance or Hardened Assassin for RM.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I was able to master the difficulty 90 X mission, but I think that might have only been because of the fire weakness on the Cactuar. I took Squall as a RW and the flame burst command was doing like 12,000 per use. Poor Lightning could only muster 10,000 with her whole SSB. So I doubt I could put out the 170,000 damage necessary for Neo Bahamut. Although maybe it's worth trying just to see how close I can get, for future reference.

You should definitely give Bahamut at try with a Tauntaliate strategy. He only has two attacks, a single target phys attack which can be taunted, and megaflare counted down to every 6 turns, so you know exactly when it's coming and can defend it. You'll want to use Shout or Advance and focus all attacks through your retaliator though. It counters literally everything (but can't counter counters), and every fifth counter is an AoE attack.

Retaliate strategies are good for anything with nasty counter attacks in general.
    I took him down...barely. Missed the mastery bonus, but I think if I brought Basch instead of Cloud (for Draw Fire) and Vivi instead of Fran (ditching Magic Breakdown for Ruinga, for the trash, which I lost medals on) I might have gotten it, maybe. I didn't realize Advance would be so dramatic (it increased my damage from 1,200 to 6,000).

Bahamut can TOTALLY counter your counters, by the way. Which was the reason it was as hard as it was. Pretty sure countering both hits of Dual Slash increases Bahamut's counter counter by two, too. It was a mess. Megaflare was borderline irrelevant compared to all that; I think he only got to use it once.

Really? My bad. NORMAL things can't counter counters. That Bahamut was countering even SBs, so I knew it had special counter properties, but I guess it's not technically a counter attack, but rather some kind of weird scripted reaction-thing like the no-physicals allowed FFV boss.
    I had one more Advance in the chamber, so I went for the + mission on a whim, not really expecting much. I somehow mastered that one too. I had to savescum Nidhogg a bunch of times until it stopped spamming the breath attack (no way to get Divine Guardian up in the first round), and it was probably stupidly lucky that the second boss never once used either of his AoE attacks, but hey, free Alexander! And some MC2s I'll never be able to use!

You might as well try the ++ then. It's also primary single target physical things. Not entirely though, and that Delta Attack every 5ish turns can hurt. You can turn it off by Sleep/Confusing the one you're not focusing on though. Preferably the black magic one.
    For 20 stamina I suppose I might as well. 210,000 total health plus healing, though? With haste down most of the fight? Seems dubious, even if the incoming damage turns out to not be that bad. Party would probably be...

Basch, 47, 212 ATK, R2 Draw Fire/R4 Retaliate
    Lightning 40, 217 ATK, R4 Tempo Flurry, R2 Poison Buster, Crushing Blow
    Cecil 47, 183 ATK, R3 Double Cut, R2 Shellga
    Vivi 47, 206 MAG, R3 Ruinga, R? Sleep, Mass Mending
    Garnet 48, 196 MND, R3 Curaga, R2 Shellga, Divine Guardian

Has to wait until RWs recharge tomorrow, at any rate.

EDIT: I guess if Ruinga is only gonna hit for like 2000 or less (which seems likely) I should probably give Vivi Poison and Lightning Armor Break instead.
    The Magus Sisters in the ++ use kind of a lot of counterable attacks, so your offense will go farther than you might think if you're running Draw Fire + Retaliate. Sandy is 100% stuff you can counter, Cindy is 50% counterable and 50% heals (and should be getting killed first), Mindy is 15% stuff that gets negated by Draw Fire + Retaliate, 85% black magic...unless you confuse her, in which case she's 100% counterable. If you don't have the orbs for 4* Confuse Shell (probably not a good investment for you right now, but 60% success rate on the status), you can use 2* Cry (support, 30% success rate) or 1* Confuse (black magic, 30% success rate).

An alternative to confuse would be to have Cecil take Lure Magic + Reflect, so you're sending all of Mindy's black magic back at them.
    I was planning on trying to use Sleep, but I guess Confuse is better if the duration and success rate is the same.

I considered Lure Magic + Reflect, but I don't have either yet, it takes up more skill slots on more important characters, and if the reflect targeting is random it seems like it could screw up my kill order pretty easily (since Retaliate hits lowest% HP).

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
This discussion has been closed.