As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The American Presidency and Those Who Seek It

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Trump band bootstraps are better, because they're covered in gold colored glitter.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Saw Fox News screaming about a "new" "Benghazi committee" "report" today. If that's the worst they've got on Hillary then hail to the fucking chief.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2016
    Saw Fox News screaming about a "new" "Benghazi committee" "report" today. If that's the worst they've got on Hillary then hail to the fucking chief.

The actual report came out and they clearly said there is no new evidence linking secstate to any kind of wrongdoing.

A second, completely unofficial report came out from two republicans on the committee basically yelling about how everyone failed including hillary and obama who covered up their failings for political reasons and let true americans die so he could become 2nd term president or something.

It was fucking awful.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

So same old stuff that the evidence does not actually back.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Reince has to be in kitchen-sink mode right?

There's no way they're keeping him around for another turn.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

So same old stuff that the evidence does not actually back.

They're just looking to unskew the facts!

The facts presented have a democratic bias, you see, so they are going to alter them until they have a more neutral lean, and are thus fair.

• Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    whats the difference between the existing income based repayment plan and the one clinton wants

Mostly streamlining and making it universal for anyone who wants to opt in
    To simplify income-based repayment for all current borrowers, Clinton's plan will:
    • Consolidate the four income-based repayment programs into a single program with the same rules for everyone: Every student borrower will know they can enroll in a program where they never have to pay more than 10 percent of income, with college debt forgiven after 20 years so that those who consistently make payments can move on in their lives.
    • Make enrollment a snap by simplifying the arcane loan consolidation process, ensuring borrowers have access to counseling, and requiring servicers to tell them their options.
    • Use technology to streamline the enrollment process for borrowers, drawing on existing government data. Many borrowers will opt to have their student loan payments deducted from their paycheck, which facilitates repayment and improves government efficiency.
      [*}Help borrowers who are delinquent or in default. Delinquent borrowers will receive additional help to enroll in income-based repayment to protect their credit, and borrowers in default will be given new rehabilitation and repayment options to help them get back on their feet.
    That sounds amazing.

I literally have different income based repayment plans for different loans.
    I have the IBR for half of my loans and the Pay as you go for the other half of my loans, based on when I got my student loans, and the loan company wouldn't just shift the loans I had to have one month of in between for some reason.

On the flip side I just checked my student loans and this is the bottom line issue I'm having.

As of today, you've paid on your loans $10,637.26
    Total Interest Satisfied $9,184.32
    Total Principal Satisfied $1,452.94
    Total Fees Paid $0.00

Provide grants to states that commit to ensuring that no student should borrow for tuition and improved affordability for other costs at 4-year public colleges and universities
    https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/factsheets/2015/08/10/college-compact-costs/

I guess this means Texas is out.

• Options

Trump's lawyer is accusing Hillary Clinton of murder. Nothing new there either!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Clinton is proposing annulled student debt for entrepreneurs.

That... Sounds like helping those who need it less.

Most businesses fail but yeah, not sure why a successful entrepreneur would need that.

I guess I could see linking it to hiring additional employees maybe.

Even unsuccessful entrepreneurs are usually better-off. That's why they can take that risk.

I dunno. I am not American, so I don't know how things work in your country, but around here small enterprises are life and blood for millions of workers, and generally seem to create more stable employment than courting big companies does. Reducing the risk of the "going down in flames while still carrying ridiculous amounts of debt" phenomenon for people who want to start up a business (which generally will create job posts) instead of just working for a salary seems like a generally good idea to me.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    https://tw itter.com/MichaelCohen212/status/747747571045642240

holy christ

that watermark is, like, the quintessence of neo-fascism

I'm really starting to wonder how far off the rails this campaign can go

is this like a really bad Amtrak derailment? The Hindenburg? Fukushima?

On a scale from Burning Trash Barge to Bikini Atoll, where are we right now?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Holy shit what Atomika said about that watermark

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

holy christ

Trump Tower.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Somewhere in the "forest fire near a napalm factory" area.

When Trump loses it during the debate and starts ranting about Clinton failing to please Bill enough with her crooked mouth, then it'll go the full Tsar Bomba.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    holy christ

Burning Trash Barge. Bikini Atoll was run by competent people. It's ridiculous that the campaign can't even scrub the neonazi-esque logos off the stuff they got off Google Images. Half "we don't know how to do this" half "we can't be bothered", I guess.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

holy christ

What, you've never heard of uncle Sam's misguided children before? They have a Facebook page and everything. I see posts from them all the time, because I have the shitiest echo chamber of all time. I don't suggest checking out the Facebook page unless you want to get real angry

Sleep on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Red Black and White.

Masked Skull.

Weapons.

Gothic Font.

.... yup, somewhere, two people are sitting in a break room for the Trump Campaign, look at this tweet and ask themselves if they are the baddies.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    holy christ

Burning Trash Barge. Bikini Atoll was run by competent people. It's ridiculous that the campaign can't even scrub the neonazi-esque logos off the stuff they got off Google Images. Half "we don't know how to do this" half "we can't be bothered", I guess.

Why would they scrub off the water mark? That's some of their prime demographic and followers.

Sleep on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Seriously though, wishing for Obama as a SCOTUS judge is the equivalent of wishing Biden would run for president. It sounds vastly cooler than reality and the results would be more disappointing than a less flashy choice.

Biden for SCOTUS, Obama for President again.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Red Black and White.

Masked Skull.

Weapons.

Gothic Font.

.... yup, somewhere, two people are sitting in a break room for the Trump Campaign, look at this tweet and ask themselves if they are the baddies.

Again, no, they are just recognizing an icon from a website and organization they have likely been reading for years.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    whats the difference between the existing income based repayment plan and the one clinton wants

Mostly streamlining and making it universal for anyone who wants to opt in
    To simplify income-based repayment for all current borrowers, Clinton's plan will:
    • Consolidate the four income-based repayment programs into a single program with the same rules for everyone: Every student borrower will know they can enroll in a program where they never have to pay more than 10 percent of income, with college debt forgiven after 20 years so that those who consistently make payments can move on in their lives.
    • Make enrollment a snap by simplifying the arcane loan consolidation process, ensuring borrowers have access to counseling, and requiring servicers to tell them their options.
    • Use technology to streamline the enrollment process for borrowers, drawing on existing government data. Many borrowers will opt to have their student loan payments deducted from their paycheck, which facilitates repayment and improves government efficiency.
      [*}Help borrowers who are delinquent or in default. Delinquent borrowers will receive additional help to enroll in income-based repayment to protect their credit, and borrowers in default will be given new rehabilitation and repayment options to help them get back on their feet.
    That sounds amazing.

I literally have different income based repayment plans for different loans.
    I have the IBR for half of my loans and the Pay as you go for the other half of my loans, based on when I got my student loans, and the loan company wouldn't just shift the loans I had to have one month of in between for some reason.

On the flip side I just checked my student loans and this is the bottom line issue I'm having.

As of today, you've paid on your loans $10,637.26
    Total Interest Satisfied $9,184.32
    Total Principal Satisfied $1,452.94
    Total Fees Paid $0.00

Provide grants to states that commit to ensuring that no student should borrow for tuition and improved affordability for other costs at 4-year public colleges and universities
    https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/factsheets/2015/08/10/college-compact-costs/

I guess this means Texas is out.
    That sounds amazing, a bit late for old timers like me.

Where's my handout Hillary.

...I hope trump doesn't steal that one.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Why would they scrub off the water mark? That's some of their prime demographic and followers.
    Because in a competently-run campaign the people in charge would realize that this crap alienates people who aren't bikers or skinheads, and that there are more normal people than there are bikers. The Trump campaign has steadfastly refused to face this fact and happily retweets white supremacists, whether out of ignorance of their identity, active maliciousness, or laziness. Either way it's not well-run at all.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    that watermark is for a rightwing facebook group called 'Uncle Sam's Misguided Children', who align themselves with violent anti-government folk

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    You would think the Marines would have something to say about that.

• Options
    Because in a competently-run campaign the people in charge would realize that this crap alienates people who aren't bikers or skinheads, and that there are more normal people than there are bikers. The Trump campaign has steadfastly refused to face this fact and happily retweets white supremacists, whether out of ignorance of their identity, active maliciousness, or laziness. Either way it's not well-run at all.

Uncle Sam's misguided children is a Marine Veterans group.

You can find any number of similar veterans groups out there on the net, with similar iconography, and they are quite friendly with the patriot movement as well. I know plenty of folks, in my liberal stronghold of a state, that like these guys and folks like them.

I mean their fucking dumb as hell, and fairly racist, with a nice soupçon of violent rhetoric as well, but they're not an unknown or fringe group. Like I said. That watermark appeals to the exact types of folks Trump has been courting the whole time.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    You would think the Marines would have something to say about that.

Yeah, you'd think that

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

holy christ

What, you've never heard of uncle Sam's misguided children before? They have a Facebook page and everything. I see posts from them all the time, because I have the shitiest echo chamber of all time. I don't suggest checking out the Facebook page unless you want to get real angry

Wish I had read this before investigating the symbol.

Excuse me while I brain bleach away comments on an article about a neo-nazi rally getting violently counter protested wherin the author espouses the notion that the nazis should have been carrying.

• Options
    Always smart to tell people your views are "misguided" right up front

it's downright polite

• Options
    Always smart to tell people your views are "misguided" right up front

it's downright polite

The name is one Marines apparently take pride in. It got thrown at them in the Vietnam era and they just kinda rolled with it apparently (this being the claim of the Facebook page itself so who the fuck knows of any of that is true)

• Options

holy christ

Wish I had read this before investigating the symbol.

Excuse me while I brain bleach away comments on an article about a neo-nazi rally getting violently counter protested wherin the author espouses the notion that the nazis should have been carrying.

Like I said don't read the page unless you want to get real angry. Especially don't read the comments.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Wait, so the partisan report basically claims that the President and SecState should be held responsible for Benghazi because it happened on their watch?

You geniuses want to apply that logic to, say, 9/11?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Entire GOPe to no-show in Cleveland?

200418487-001-man-standing-at-lectern-in-empty-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=2VdIYOaF6PpQHYPtyzYSU3zwp98YoR%2FJVzMv7n9WNNrTUJsacgMBmXZJnv68%2BaGT

(artist conceptual rendering of GOP convention)

Atomika on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Wait, so the partisan report basically claims that the President and SecState should be held responsible for Benghazi because it happened on their watch?

Shhhh don't give them ideas. Next it'll be a report on how 9/11 was all Obama and Hillary's fault.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Last I heard Trump was pissing and moaning that they wanted to invite Cruz and Kasich as speakers

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Last I heard Trump was pissing and moaning that they wanted to invite Cruz and Kasich as speakers

It's his party and he'll cry if he wants to.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

200418487-001-man-standing-at-lectern-in-empty-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=2VdIYOaF6PpQHYPtyzYSU3zwp98YoR%2FJVzMv7n9WNNrTUJsacgMBmXZJnv68%2BaGT

I've heard about the delegate lawsuit, and this part from that article made me laugh so hard:
    On Friday, Beau Correll, a delegate from Virginia, filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of the state’s 49 Republican and 110 Democratic delegates, challenging a law that mandates, “Delegates and alternates shall be bound to vote on the first ballot at the national convention for the candidate receiving the most votes in the primary unless that candidate releases those delegates and alternates from such vote.” Correll’s complaint alleges that the First Amendment protects delegates “right to vote their conscience, free from government compulsion, when participating in the selection of their party’s presidential nominee.”

Ha ha ha ha ha. There is no government compulsion going on here you goofnozzle.

Edit: That's what I get for not reading the actual complaint, see below.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I've heard about the delegate lawsuit, and this part from that article made me laugh so hard:
    On Friday, Beau Correll, a delegate from Virginia, filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of the state’s 49 Republican and 110 Democratic delegates, challenging a law that mandates, “Delegates and alternates shall be bound to vote on the first ballot at the national convention for the candidate receiving the most votes in the primary unless that candidate releases those delegates and alternates from such vote.” Correll’s complaint alleges that the First Amendment protects delegates “right to vote their conscience, free from government compulsion, when participating in the selection of their party’s presidential nominee.”

Ha ha ha ha ha. There is no government compulsion going on here you goofnozzle.

Actually, I may be wrong. Apparently its codified in Virginia law that delegates must vote for the winner of the primary. There may be a case here unless there is some clear legal distinction.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »

Shhhh don't give them ideas. Next it'll be a report on how 9/11 was all Obama and Hillary's fault.

They've been blaming Bill for 9/11 for 15 years.

• Options
    A candidate's lawyer tweeting accusations that the opposing candidate of murdering an ambassador and selling uranium to Russia would be a bigger deal in most elections, I feel. In this election, it is more of a "yeah, I guess that would come from the Trump camp" thing.

Politico has Trump's prepared speech on his job plan: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/full-transcript-trump-job-plan-speech-224891

I wish America would have less of an outsized concern with manufacturing as part of the economy that ends up ignoring vastly larger parts of the economy for most workers or at least stop ascribing all the decline due to other countries and not vastly improved efficiency.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Reince has to be in kitchen-sink mode right?

There's no way they're keeping him around for another turn.

Given that the RNC has completely lost control of the base (and a chunk of the party to boot) they've basically become a vestigal institution akin to the british monarchy.

So whether he keeps his job or not is kind of a moot point.

Gaddez on
  • Options

Reagan and the Beriut barracks bombing is my go-to analogy.

This discussion has been closed.