As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] StepN2theGAME

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I have a Vive and have no clue what Bigscreen even is.

There's some really tenuous stats happening in here.

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/representative-sample.html

Yeah, I'm not convinced you know how stats work. Or if you do you're stretching the definition of a representative sample so dramatically so as to make your findings dubious.

I'm actually still completely baffled as to why you think this single app is a good point of articulation between the two platforms.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Yeah, well, Rift and Vive both suck. PSVR forever (because it's what I own)!

Alternatively lets not get too hung up on what's selling better and all be content we can play Werewolves Within together regardless of headset.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Try mounting the PS Camera high if you can, I can get close to 360 tracking on a tripod pointing down. Usually I have the camera in front of the TV but for some games I've got a tripod hiding behind the back of the TV that I can pull out quickly and have the camera mounted on in about 20 seconds. Works much better.

What tripod do you use? I could go dig out an old photography tripod but I'm not certain how I would attach the PS camera to it.

Missed this. I use a standard tripod and a spare phone tripod Mount like this:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Mobile-Cell-Phone-Clip-Bracket-Holder-Mount-For-Tripod-Monopod-Stand-/271954713454?nav=SEARCH

The camera is too small to be gripped by it so I chopped the bottom of a tube of jelly beans off and duct taped it on to the phone mount to reduce top/bottom distance! Works well. I'm sure there's a better way but it's all stuff I had in the house already. Really really helps with tracking.

• Options
    Agreed.

Question for Vive people. Do any of you have multiple rooms setup for the Vive with their own lighthouses? I hate lugging my PC around the house so I'm giving some serious thought to just buying two more lighthouses and setting them up in my regular space for when it's just me and I don't need much in the way of roomscale.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Agreed.

Question for Vive people. Do any of you have multiple rooms setup for the Vive with their own lighthouses? I hate lugging my PC around the house so I'm giving some serious thought to just buying two more lighthouses and setting them up in my regular space for when it's just me and I don't need much in the way of roomscale.

I just have my main room in my basement that is setup for Vive all the time (had to do some serious furniture moving and reorging to get that ready) I havent taken my setup to anyone elses house but I dont think it would be that difficult. I will likely invest in some sort of tripods or tension pole to make moving and setting up lighthouses much easier. Once I get a TPcast I doubt I will be moving my setup around much.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Any chance best buy et al sell sensors? I guess I could just order my third...

I set up my existing sensors with tripod mounts but haven't been able to test it yet. I just went with medium height, medium width. With a long enough cable I could get a pretty kickass position for the third sensor

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    bitflipper wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »
    Well, the Vive tracker wirelessly reports it's position back to the PC using the same system of onboard IR sensors that the vive controllers do, plus it has a micro-usb port so you can plug in a custom controller and report button presses. An Oculus Rift version of that puck would just be covered in IR dots, and the Rift cameras would have to track it along with the headset and Touch controllers. And you'd think the theoretical Rift puck could also have a usb port.

But I don't think it's in Oculus' business plan to make something so... open? For better or worse, they're going for a much more controlled user experience, with less customization and third party interface stuff.

Wellp, fuck Oculus then. Selling it and buying a Vive first chance I get.

Welcome, brother. I'll get you a uniform

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
      Any chance we could stop with the console war stuff?

• Options
      OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
      Tube wrote: »
      Any chance best buy et al sell sensors? I guess I could just order my third...

I'm pretty sure it's only direct from Oculus for now. The one I ordered on 12/7 got delayed from its original 12/20 shipping date to 12/30 due to unexpected demand, so they probably don't have much extra available yet.

The sensor has the standard 2.5m cable plus it comes with a 5m extension cable, so that's how much length you have to work with.

• Options
      PrAyTeLLaPrAyTeLLa Registered User regular
      edited January 2017
      Dhalphir wrote: »
      BigScreen has over 100,000 owners on Steam, and the same amount on Home. That's a lot of picked cherries.

If you're suggesting 200,000 can't be a representative sample for under a million...?

Bit late to the party, but as a Rift owner I can own both, as a Vive owner I can only own Steams version. It came out on steam first, and is free. Wouldnt a lot of Rifters owners, but more for seated players, have gotten bigscreen on steam early on? I installed bigscreen but I've never actually used it. I don't do any desktop stuff in the Vive, I have roomscale.

Never heard of gravlab, but as per the devs comment they had advantage of being a launch game with touch in a small market on Home.

Here's a survey of sketchfab users. Never heard of sketchfab either, but hey its a survey on the topic.

https://sketchfab.com/trends?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2017-02-vr-trends&utm_campaign=newsletter

PrAyTeLLa on
    • Options
      wonderpug wrote: »
      Any chance we could stop with the console war stuff?

If that was at me, I did not intend for it to be a divisive comment, only to welcome to ranks of Vive! Apologies!

• Options
        EliminationElimination Registered User regular
        edited January 2017
        I can't wait for these to be affordable in Canada.

Currently a Vive is $1,150 plus tax, which makes it $1286 after tax.

I could literally purchase a decent used car for that much. It is massively out of most peoples price range over here in the North. Competition can't come soon enough.

I got to try a Vive out in a mall demo and it was fantastic, I had a blast. But the price is insane.

Elimination on
        PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
      • Options

I could literally purchase a decent used car for that much. It is massively out of most peoples price range over here in the North. Competition can't come soon enough.

I got to try a Vive out in a mall demo and it was fantastic, I had a blast. But the price is insane.

That's definitely true. If I hadn't just broken up with my fiancée, I would not have bought one. I was more like "I deserve this huge dent to my disposable income"

• Options
          DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

There is plenty of competition.

DVD players were expensive in their first year on the market too. This is no different.

• Options
          Is Arizona Sunshine 4 player?

• Options
            DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
            TimFiji wrote: »
            Is Arizona Sunshine 4 player?

Two only.

• Options
            DracilDracil Registered User regular
            edited January 2017
            Horde mode is 4 isn't it?

But reading the steam discussions seems like there are still a lot of issues with multiplayer.

Dracil on
            3DS: 2105-8644-6304
            Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
            MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
          • Options
            Dracil wrote: »
            Horde mode is 4 isn't it?

But reading the steam discussions seems like there are still a lot of issues with multiplayer.

I'm 99% sure Horde mode is not 4. I think you select 1 or 2 player from the menu right at the start.

• Options
            edited January 2017
            I could've sworn I was in a horde multiplayer lobby with 2 other people while one of the guys was trying to invite a friend before disconnecting.

Edit: "Join forces in co-op multiplayer. Combine forces with a friend in co-op campaign mode or multiplayer Horde mode for up to four players. But beware, more warm brains mean more, hungry undead."

Dracil on
          • Options
            Thanks for the extra info.

MP in Arizona Sunshine is actually really scary, playing against zombies means you associate human-shaped objects with danger, and you're as likely to waste ammo shooting an ally as you are at a zombie.

• Options
            Dracil wrote: »
            I could've sworn I was in a horde multiplayer lobby with 2 other people while one of the guys was trying to invite a friend before disconnecting.

Edit: "Join forces in co-op multiplayer. Combine forces with a friend in co-op campaign mode or multiplayer Horde mode for up to four players. But beware, more warm brains mean more, hungry undead."

That's awesome. I have the game, but I only ever played the campaign!

• Options
              It has crossplay too, although Vive & Rift need to join via IP rather than being able to directly invite friends by name.

• Options
              TubeTube Registered User admin
              Wait

Arizona Sunshine is MP? Is the SP worth it alone?

• Options
              SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
              Wait

It's only 3-4 hours, but I'd still say it's worth it. It's one of the most polished VR experiences I've played.

5gsowHm.png
            • Options
              Wait

Yes. A million times yes. My GOTY for 2016 easily, even amongst non-VR games. The shooting mechanics are realistic enough to be satisfying when you get better at aiming, but easy enough that you don't feel like you're firing wildly. The teleporting is not as bad as everyone says, and the devs have confirmed they're working on artificial locomotion. I prefer the teleporting anyway.

The protagonist is well written and well voiced. The pacing of the game is on point, with just enough story, exploration, and exposition in one chunk that you're ready for a nice combat scene when it happens, and the combat is intense enough that you're glad of a break for some peaceful exploration when it's time for that.

The enemies are nicely varied, with some of the zombies being fast and dangerous, some being more in between, and others being slow and shambling and mostly harmless. Ammo is plentiful enough that you're not feeling rationed, but scarce enough that you do feel rewarded for "one shot, one kill" with headshots.

And because of the really fun shooting mechanics, the MP Horde mode as well as the co-op are more than worth playing in their own right.

• Options
              I made a post on the Oculus sub today which I think you guys might like to read about.

tl;dr - Oculus has added a VR experience to their store made by G2A, a known shady gray market steam key reseller. While the software actually seems pretty good, it's more or less an advertisement for G2A that costs $10, and Oculus should not be supporting this company.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5nhaws/oculus_is_perhaps_unknowingly_supporting_g2a_a/

• Options
              I found Arizona Sunshine to be only mildly fun, though my expectations were a bit high. I haven't finished it yet but so far it just feels like a rather slow paced shooting gallery with a walking mechanic tacked on. It literally did nothing for me in terms of character or story. There's not a chance I'd call it GOTY material, not even close to the top 20 but *shrug* different strokes.

Felt a bit like a PS2 game to me.

• Options
              ThirithThirith Registered User regular
              Has anyone here played Obduction in VR? If so, how does it hold up? I'm definitely curious, but I'm not great at those kinds of puzzles, and I'm hoping they'll eventually support Touch controllers.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
              "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
            • Options
              edited January 2017
              I found Arizona Sunshine to be only mildly fun, though my expectations were a bit high. I haven't finished it yet but so far it just feels like a rather slow paced shooting gallery with a walking mechanic tacked on. It literally did nothing for me in terms of character or story. There's not a chance I'd call it GOTY material, not even close to the top 20 but *shrug* different strokes.

Felt a bit like a PS2 game to me.

How far through have you got? I felt the same the first hour, but the remaining 2-3 hours were great.
              Thirith wrote: »
              Has anyone here played Obduction in VR? If so, how does it hold up? I'm definitely curious, but I'm not great at those kinds of puzzles, and I'm hoping they'll eventually support Touch controllers.

It's really good, very immersive, graphics are gorgeous. However ASW did kick in a lot, even with a 980Ti, so those with a Vive might want to turn the settings down a touch to ensure they stay at native 90fps.

However, I feel the same as you - I only played for about an hour then wished they'd have Touch support. I'll probably go back to the game to finish it either when they add Touch support, or if they confirm they never will add it.

Dhalphir on
            • Options
              Grr, curse region differences, I'm really wanting to buy "I Expect You To Die" but it's not out on the UK PSN. I could buy some vouchers for the USA store but I already have credit sitting here.

Has anyone played it on PC? Any good? I love escape the room style things.

• Options
              crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
              Does Obduction work on Vive natively?
              I'll have to give that a shot.

• Options
              ThirithThirith Registered User regular
              Grr, curse region differences, I'm really wanting to buy "I Expect You To Die" but it's not out on the UK PSN. I could buy some vouchers for the USA store but I already have credit sitting here.

I've not played it very far (just tutorial and first mission), but I definitely like it. It's good for short sessions, it's got a nice sense of humour, and it makes good use of seated VR playing with Touch controllers, which works well for my setup.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
              "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
            • Options
              GSMGSM Registered User regular
              I believe Obduction is Oculus-only right now, but it will probably get Vive support when they do their update for tracked controllers.

We'll get back there someday.
            • Options
              UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
              edited January 2017
              Has anybody here tried streaming their VR play? I think I've mostly pieced together everything I need/want from internet articles, but I thought I'd see if anybody has some advice, especially if you know of a good way to read Twitch Chat while in VR (for games that don't have that functionality natively).

Way late ( @visiblehowl ping just in case) but I do this with my Vive! This is the tool I use for seeing chat:
              https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVRTwitchChat/

It's super customizable, and after some minor tweaking and trial and error, I managed to do a few good streams using it. Works really well! I set mine up so chat is located on the bottom side of my right controller. I just flip it over to read it. Plus it uses the Steam overlay, so it doesn't show up at all in your stream.

If you have any other questions feel free to hit me up. I haven't done it a ton, but I've played around with it enough to learn some tricks.

UEAKCrash on
            • Options
              Dirt Rally getting the VR treatment on PS4, but with a £10 upgrade fee. Given it's discounted at the moment I'm tempted to pick it up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-12-dirt-rally-is-getting-a-playstation-vr-mode-but-itll-cost-you-a-tenner

More than happy to pay the £10 extra really, especially given there's (admittedly limited) 2 player functionality whereby the second person can use the social screen as co-driver to give instructions.

• Options
              CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
              I've been playing subnautica only on my Vive.

It's still in early access and very much not optimized so here are some tips:

You need asynchronous reprojection turned on and interleaved turned off. Subnautica is non roomscale either way so it doesn't really matter but this generally takes the game from unplayable to smooth for most machines. I usually also put steam on "always on" as well.

Secondly after playing for a couple of hours and saving frequently the cache builds up and the game does not deal with this well. If you wipe the saved cache your good for another 10 hours or so.
              Unfortunately this resets all resources so it's a bit like cheating. I just blew every single accumulated thing I had on a mega swag base beforehand (because it doesn't affect gameplay).
              Everything you have made/unlocked/built/positioned is still in place however and the reset also fixes some other weird stuff that can start happening.

It's probably the best early access game I have ever played and it feels like they are in the process of finishing it up right now. They have added a storyline which actually works for a sandbox game (gently prodding you in different directions, progression locked by not having crafted the specific tools needed to finish the job yet).

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
            • Options
              kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
              Thirith wrote: »

I've not played it very far (just tutorial and first mission), but I definitely like it. It's good for short sessions, it's got a nice sense of humour, and it makes good use of seated VR playing with Touch controllers, which works well for my setup.

I played through the whole thing on my Rift.

I liked it a lot. Nice puzzles that aren't frustrating, good humor, little hidden things for fun, etc. My only real complaint is it feels a little short, but I'm probably just used to longer games

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
              3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
              Steam profile
            • Options
              PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
              So here's what's going on with the Gear VR gamespace the last 365 and change:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqb2tg4eWAc

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
            • Options
              edited January 2017
              Man, I haven't touched my GearVR for like half a year now. And the best thing I miss about it is the fact that it was the only VR device that I didn't need glasses for thanks to that focal wheel.

Dracil on
            • Options
              Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
              Okay, my Touch controllers finally arrived, so I'll probably get to try them out tonight.

Arizona Sunshine sounds like it's primo touch content? I haven't been paying attention for a while because I was so frustrated with the delay to my shipment that I just blanked on VR for the last few weeks.