Options

[Virtual Reality] StepN2theGAME

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    UploadVR did a hands on with TPcast

http://uploadvr.com/tpcast-wireless-vive-kit-works/

they got a dude from Cirque Du Soleil doing flips with no loss of tracking. (they put another strap on the headset to go around his chin so the headset wouldnt fly off though :D)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Wireless VR would be incredible. That and the space requirement are the only problem I have with the technology. If they just solved it then I will be a happy man.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Wires don't bother me a ton. It comes up every now and then but if I had the choice between that and visual fidelity or comfort I'd choose one of the latter.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Fobwashed from the Giant Bomb extended family gave it a go and said it's about 2ms latency which would be indistinguishable. Personally, the wires on these things drive me nuts so I'm looking forward to this.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Vive wireless thing? I hear it adds a tiny bit of latency and wonder if it's very noticeable for people who have been using theirs for a while.

Still waiting until I can afford the thing. Probably for next revision or two.

Should be out Q2 in North America, Norm from Tested had a really interesting video from his time with it at CES.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Z-CWz8nAFgs

Bottom line is: Latency might be there, but it's VERY minimal, occlusion is very difficult to achieve with a properly mounted transmitter (high mounted), battery life is pretty damn good at apparently 2 hrs basic, and up to 5 hours with their XL battery (needs to be independently tested, should start seeing some Chinese units shipped Q1).

It looks awesome, but I can't justify the costs this year. Hoping it will be integrated in future VIVE headsets. I MIGHT be able to justify the upgraded strap/audio solution though!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBU0OktGeiM

Edit: Looks like a cross between the PSVR and Oculus implementation, which seems to be the best of both worlds (Vive's strap is passable, but I REALLY hate adjusting it for other people when I'm demo'ing the unit).

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried the Vive wireless thing? I hear it adds a tiny bit of latency and wonder if it's very noticeable for people who have been using theirs for a while.

I haven't personally, but Tested got the chance to try it out at CES and seemed really impressed, saying the experience seemed indistinguishable from tethered. He's a member of a weekly podcast that covers VR so I trust him to really know what he's talking about.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Any of you folks with PSVR as well as a Rift or Vive, how have you been finding yourself splitting your time between the two?

• Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    I tried asking this question a Swedish forum but it didn't work (because of two tiny non overlapping userbase issues) so I will try here instead!

Can anyone who has a Vive/Rift with touch and who has experience in shooting guns weigh in on how "real" they feel the experience is. Obviously the experience feels a lot more realistic than normal computer games but it's something I've been thinking about and it's hard to compare seeing as I can't shoot stuff.
    From my limited Onward + army experience it feels fairly correct with assault rifles except for the obvious handling problems of having two controls that are separate entities, the lack of recoil (just a minor thing since our service rifle doesn't have much recoil) and the crap resolution making shooting at range almost impossible.

However shooting zombies in Arizona sunshine is pretty damn hard which feels realistic too me since I probably suck at it.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Don't have much experience with guns but the general things I've heard is Arizona Sunshine's aiming is off, most games tend to have the hand angle wrong, and you should play H3VR for the best gun sim experience.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The grip angle seems a bit off to me in the VR games I've tried, but since real life pistols come with different angles it may just be thing with my own personal preference.

Other than that, aiming pistols in VR feels very similar to aiming pistols in real life. I think the low resolution is the main problem. I'd love for games like Arizona Sunshine to have an option for oversized sights so that you could do more precise long distance aiming despite the low resolution. SuperHot aiming feels a bit more natural than Arizona Sunshine, I'd say.

Aside from those things and the lack of recoil you mentioned, you also don't have depth of field as a factor. Everything is in focus, rather than you having to choose whether you want your front sight or your target to be in focus.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    I tried asking this question a Swedish forum but it didn't work (because of two tiny non overlapping userbase issues) so I will try here instead!

Can anyone who has a Vive/Rift with touch and who has experience in shooting guns weigh in on how "real" they feel the experience is. Obviously the experience feels a lot more realistic than normal computer games but it's something I've been thinking about and it's hard to compare seeing as I can't shoot stuff.
    From my limited Onward + army experience it feels fairly correct with assault rifles except for the obvious handling problems of having two controls that are separate entities, the lack of recoil (just a minor thing since our service rifle doesn't have much recoil) and the crap resolution making shooting at range almost impossible.

However shooting zombies in Arizona sunshine is pretty damn hard which feels realistic too me since I probably suck at it.

I own and have fired lots of rifles, shotguns, and hand guns. I find that two handed weapons feel... Funny. The lack of somewhere rigid to put your forward hand leads to a disconnect for me, and I feel VERY aware that I have two separate controllers in my hands, not whatever weapon I'm supposed to be holding.

Single handed weapons (provided the developer has the grip angle properly done) feel VERY good, and natural. Due to the lightness of the controller and the lack of kick when firing, the audio has to do the heavy lifting to provide the sensation of wielding a big gun (something like a large revolver) though. SPT does a very good job of making you feel like a bad ass with those pistols though!

Again, it's nothing like shooting the real thing, but the ergonomics (to me) feel weird on two handed weapons, but feel largely correct on pistols and other single handed weapons.

My 0.02.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    You mean as compared to the real thing? If so, I'd still say it's pretty dissimilar. Most of the "real" feeling simply comes from immersion, not from the hardware.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Haven't people made mounts out of pvc to put the Vive controllers to make it feel like a rifle? I'm pretty sure I saw a guy playing Doom like that in a video.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    Haven't people made mounts out of pvc to put the Vive controllers to make it feel like a rifle? I'm pretty sure I saw a guy playing Doom like that in a video.

Definitely a possibility, but I haven't tried it. I can't speak to it's efficacy.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Any of you folks with PSVR as well as a Rift or Vive, how have you been finding yourself splitting your time between the two?
    I own a PSVR and have access to a Vive. "Have access to" means that it is usually in my house 2 days a week. (Having said that, it hasn't been here at all since early December.)

The Vive got here first, but outside of the first weekend it was almost never used. (Which is one of the reasons why it hasn't been here in a while.) We use the VR headset in our main TV room and not a dedicated VR space, so the PC needs to be connected to the media center receiver (via HDMI), the lighthouses need to be set-up, and the play space "drawn" and configured. Even with all of the drivers and software setup ready-to-go, getting the Vive 'out of the box' and up and running is 15 to 20 minutes per session. That's not counting the {How To...} talk explaining how to tighten/loosen that various straps and what the visor should feel like. Invariably, at some point over the weekend one or both of the lighthouses would get jostled or moved (for example, when it was time to put VR away and just watch TV, or when someone trips over a cord and knocks one of the lighthouse stands over) and we would need to recalibrate the entire thing.

Meanwhile, the PSVR is left "plugged in" full time, sitting on top of the TV entertainment center, next to the PS4. Assuming a new user that needs {The VR Talk}, it is ready to go in less than five minutes, including calibration and alignment time, and getting the Dualshock4 and Move controllers connected and set-up. If it's someone who has already played with VR, they can be up and running in 15 to 30 seconds. It's literally "pick it up and put it on" simple, even for a non-dedicated space.

On top of that, since the Vive isn't technically mine, I don't buy software for it. Meanwhile, on the PSVR side, I own 25+ different games and experiences. That puts even more emphasis on playing with the PSVR over the Vive.

Having said that, the PSVR controllers are "twitchy" (at best) and that can sometimes detract from the experience. The only game I've personally played on both systems is Job Simulator and I gotta say, the Vive experience was MUCH more compelling. The game was still fun on the PSVR, but you had to continually be cognizant of the limitations of the tracking area and accuracy. Several times the game wanted me to pick up or manipulate something that was outside of the tracked area, forcing me to come up with a workaround, or frustratingly retry several times to make the tracking work. There are at least two games that I found all but unplayable on the PSVR due to tracking errors (HoloBall and Fruit Ninja).

If you have a space that is dedicated to VR where you can permanently attach and secure the lighthouses, most of the Vive's setup woes go away. The Vive is simply a better system: it's more flexible and better for more immersive (i.e. roomscale) experiences. But overall, I'd say that the PSVR is FAR superior for "casual" use in a non-dedicated space. And since that's where we use ours, it is the headset that gets 95% of the use.

26904.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Try mounting the PS Camera high if you can, I can get close to 360 tracking on a tripod pointing down. Usually I have the camera in front of the TV but for some games I've got a tripod hiding behind the back of the TV that I can pull out quickly and have the camera mounted on in about 20 seconds. Works much better.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Try mounting the PS Camera high if you can, I can get close to 360 tracking on a tripod pointing down. Usually I have the camera in front of the TV but for some games I've got a tripod hiding behind the back of the TV that I can pull out quickly and have the camera mounted on in about 20 seconds. Works much better.

What tripod do you use? I could go dig out an old photography tripod but I'm not certain how I would attach the PS camera to it.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I have a Vive and have no clue what Bigscreen even is.

There's some really tenuous stats happening in here.

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/representative-sample.html

• Options
    edited January 2017
    One man's Representative Sample is another's Cherry Picking

Which is really the crux of the matter for the past couple pages.

Dracil on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    BigScreen has over 100,000 owners on Steam, and the same amount on Home. That's a lot of picked cherries.

If you're suggesting 200,000 can't be a representative sample for under a million...?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Yes, because that's not how representative samples work. No more than using the millions of Californian voters are representative of United States voters or that US voters are necessarily representative of the United States population. You're cherry picking a specific app or two that supports your claims and tossing aside data and claims from others that don't support your view, even when one of your very own sources explicitly warns you about trying to draw conclusions from their stats.

But since we're at it, my personal favorite metric generally has actually been to look at the number of oculus/vive subreddit users and growth.

Dracil on
  • Options
    it's an app with a generic purpose and a wide appeal, with zero barrier to entry.

as evidenced by the fact that it has 200,000 owners.

the Reddit numbers only give you the numbers amongst Reddit's demographic. I don't think there's any dispute that the Vive is substantially more popular amongst PC gamers.

• Options
    again, to reiterate, since it seems to be lost here

I'm _not_ saying the Vive hasn't sold more than the Rift. I'm saying that it is near as makes no difference to 50:50. If those 420k to 350k numbers are accurate, that's near as makes no difference 50/50.

The BigScreen and Gravlab stuff doesn't provide firm evidence for being exactly 50:50, but it DOES rule out being 2:1.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    it's an app with a generic purpose and a wide appeal, with zero barrier to entry.

as evidenced by the fact that it has 200,000 owners.

the Reddit numbers only give you the numbers amongst Reddit's demographic. I don't think there's any dispute that the Vive is substantially more popular amongst PC gamers.

Well guess what kind of people have the kind of systems that can power Rifts and Vives?

I would disagree with barriers to entry. The timing of an app's release has major effects on its appeal and barriers. I've long stopped grabbing every single free app on Steam, which *was* something I did way back when I first got the Vive. "Free" apps still have a tangible cost to the users, and I don't need random apps I'm not going to keep installed cluttering up my library. Multiplayer games in VR also generally have a larger barrier of entry nowadays than when it first released as people got burnt by dead multiplayer communities.

Even wide appeal is something that's subjective and changes. When you're the only game (semi-pun intended) in town, everyone will flock to you. When there are a bunch of other competitors and the town has now become a city, you suddenly become way less appealing, but hey, maybe if you move over to the next town over you'll be quite as popular there too.

Edit: If we're splitting hairs on specific numbers. Personally I think it's more of a 3:2 ratio, based on general subreddit active user distributions, which I also feel is actually a bit biased towards oculus from the simple fact that there is no vivensfw and oculusnsfw doesn't even link to the vive subreddit, plus oculus also gets spillover from gearvr users. And 3:2 just so happens to be right in between 1:1 and 2:1

Dracil on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    @Kashaar you might find this interesting as someone who does VR programming. Kickstarter (not linked here) for a new Vive strap that lets you flip the headset out of the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kiWN-mHZsM

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

I'm _not_ saying the Vive hasn't sold more than the Rift. I'm saying that it is near as makes no difference to 50:50. If those 420k to 350k numbers are accurate, that's near as makes no difference 50/50.

The BigScreen and Gravlab stuff doesn't provide firm evidence for being exactly 50:50, but it DOES rule out being 2:1.

I mean, 70k people is a lot of people, especially when we're still less than 500k for each number. It's what, like a 15-20% increase? I am bad at maths. That's not "So near as to 50:50 as to make no difference" in the slightest.

And all of these things are suppositions. There's no reason to expect that all the people on either platform downloaded this program. I don't have VR but have been following pretty closely and have no idea what either of those things are and wouldn't be downloading them right off the bat if I got a Vive right now.

App downloads are sort of a shitty metric to determine device adoption, especially when there are alternatives to the function of the app.

SniperGuy on
  • Options

I mean, 70k people is a lot of people, especially when we're still less than 500k for each number. It's what, like a 15-20% increase? I am bad at maths. That's not "So near as to 50:50 as to make no difference" in the slightest.

And all of these things are suppositions. There's no reason to expect that all the people on either platform downloaded this program. I don't have VR but have been following pretty closely and have no idea what either of those things are and wouldn't be downloading them right off the bat if I got a Vive right now.

App downloads are sort of a shitty metric to determine device adoption, especially when there are alternatives to the function of the app.

It's close enough that it's not going to affect dev choice about whether to develop for one platform or both. Which is the only actual real effect sales numbers have. If it was 2:1, devs might start choosing differently.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    That tested video on the TPCast is super promising. They don't have the sensor mounted in the middle of their play space -- it looks like unless your space is pretty huge you're going to be able to get away with mounting it on one side of the room. My playspace with the ceiling fan is 3M x 2M, aaand I think I can pull it off. He's intentionally blocking the sensor with his hands and not losing video, that is pretty boss.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm not sure how the financial aspect of devs works usually, but I'd definitely concentrate my development on the base with 70k more people, regardless of percentages.

Plus Oculus had that whole Palmer Luckey fiasco and their weird attempts to lock down exclusives and disallow Vive stuff. All that and the facebook association doesn't really help, but those are tangential to install base. I'm guessing most people with VR at this point do pay a little closer attention than your average console owner though, given the investment required.

edit: And obviously doing it for both would be better when possible.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

No it doesn't.

Maybe 95% of Oculus owners have used BigScreen, and 40% of Vive owners have. There is zero way of knowing based on people who grabbed a free app on two different ecosystems, especially when one ecosystem already includes some of the functionality of that app and the other contains none.

You might say seeing such a disparity would seem illogical, but logic alone cannot rule out something within the realm of possibility, no matter how unlikely.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    bitflipperbitflipper Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

Should be out Q2 in North America, Norm from Tested had a really interesting video from his time with it at CES.

Bottom line is: Latency might be there, but it's VERY minimal, occlusion is very difficult to achieve with a properly mounted transmitter (high mounted), battery life is pretty damn good at apparently 2 hrs basic, and up to 5 hours with their XL battery (needs to be independently tested, should start seeing some Chinese units shipped Q1).

It looks awesome, but I can't justify the costs this year. Hoping it will be integrated in future VIVE headsets. I MIGHT be able to justify the upgraded strap/audio solution though!

Edit: Looks like a cross between the PSVR and Oculus implementation, which seems to be the best of both worlds (Vive's strap is passable, but I REALLY hate adjusting it for other people when I'm demo'ing the unit).

Any chance Oculus could have those kind of stick on trackers like the Vive or is it completely impossible given their tech.

• Options
    Snap decision everyone. I'm buying a game tonight. What do I buy? Arizona Sunshine, or Raw Data?

• Options
    bitflipper wrote: »

Any chance Oculus could have those kind of stick on trackers like the Vive or is it completely impossible given their tech.

Sorry man, NO idea.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Well, the Vive tracker wirelessly reports it's position back to the PC using the same system of onboard IR sensors that the vive controllers do, plus it has a micro-usb port so you can plug in a custom controller and report button presses. An Oculus Rift version of that puck would just be covered in IR dots, and the Rift cameras would have to track it along with the headset and Touch controllers. And you'd think the theoretical Rift puck could also have a usb port.

But I don't think it's in Oculus' business plan to make something so... open? For better or worse, they're going for a much more controlled user experience, with less customization and third party interface stuff.

• Options
    Snap decision everyone. I'm buying a game tonight. What do I buy? Arizona Sunshine, or Raw Data?

Arizona.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Do you want regular zombies or robot zombies?

Linear dungeon crawl or wave shooter evolved?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Do you want regular zombies or robot zombies?

Linear dungeon crawl or wave shooter evolved?

DON'T OVERTHINK IT.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

I like Raw Data a lot! If you've got a super fancy PC it will look really pretty too -- I've not tried Arizona Sunshine as zombies aren't really my thing.

If you have the room for it, the katana class is really fun too.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I like Raw Data more personally, though I haven't tried Arizona Sunshine again since the updates.

Dracil on
  • Options
    bitflipperbitflipper Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Well, the Vive tracker wirelessly reports it's position back to the PC using the same system of onboard IR sensors that the vive controllers do, plus it has a micro-usb port so you can plug in a custom controller and report button presses. An Oculus Rift version of that puck would just be covered in IR dots, and the Rift cameras would have to track it along with the headset and Touch controllers. And you'd think the theoretical Rift puck could also have a usb port.

But I don't think it's in Oculus' business plan to make something so... open? For better or worse, they're going for a much more controlled user experience, with less customization and third party interface stuff.

Wellp, fuck Oculus then. Selling it and buying a Vive first chance I get.