As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] Da Total WAAAAGH! Thread, Da Knights of Bretonnia are here! Sequel announced!

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Wait

New starting position? The only other vamp place on the map at the moment is the place in Chivalry Land isn't it?

Could he templehof I guess but yeah

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Wait

New starting position? The only other vamp place on the map at the moment is the place in Chivalry Land isn't it?

Could he templehof I guess but yeah

Looks like its Schwartzhafen. Not an earth shattering change, but having to take major settlements early is interesting

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Her start position is Schwartzhafen, the minor faction in western sylvania. So it's not really much of a difference except that you only have a minor settlement, you'll have to take Drakenhof or Templehof pretty quickly.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Damn. I was hoping for Mousseillion (or however its spelled).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Damn. I was hoping for Mousseillion (or however its spelled).

There's still a chance they'll promote the red duke to a proper legendary lord

A Mousseillion start would be absolutely fab

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Her start position is Schwartzhafen, the minor faction in western sylvania. So it's not really much of a difference except that you only have a minor settlement, you'll have to take Drakenhof or Templehof pretty quickly.

The payoff seems to be early access to Vampire heroes, with Isabella starting with 2 (one of each lore) and Vlad & Isabella getting a unique T1 building to recruit Vampires at Drakenhof.

Considering Vampires are not only your Death and Shadow spellcasters, but also deploy for +growth to get you to your income buildings faster, that's a pretty huge deal.

Also the video mentioned that Vlad will become recruitable Turn 1, so no need to raze Altdorf to enjoy his awesomeness.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever justified the Witch Hunter's J'accuse ability? How does he make orcs, vampires, human worshippers of other religions, dorfs, dragon ogres, etc. feel so bad about heresy it ruins their health temporarily?

He's not a living saint nor a wizard so that doesn't give him power.

I think that means he has the DnD bard ability where insulting people does damage.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    Ivar wrote: »
    canuckont wrote: »
    Well, that's my first try in the wood elf mini-campaign down the drain. Any tips?

Don't upgrade the tree past level 2 (I think) until your ready to deal with a bunch of beast man hordes. Confederate with the elves around you

I upgraded to level 2, and a lot of beastmen showed up. I hadn't had the opportunity to confederate with anyone.
    It seems every elf faction goes to war with each other, and then two turns later they all make peace.
    I colonized a few ruins, and got trade/NAP/DA/MA with a few neighbours, but no opportunities for confederation.
    Also, I guess I shouldn't stretch my lands too far, I could only afford one army.

What's easiest in this scenario? Friendly confederation or hostile confederation?

I found the pacts to work well then confederate with the ones that will. Once the tree hits an upgrade point it was pretty easy to get most of the remaining factions of elves to join. I think I invaded one or two elf factions.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I'm glad Vlad and Isabela are splitting off from Mannfred. Was weird having Mann be the main lord with Vlad under him. Also their flag/colors are great. Good stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mousillon ended up being released at some point. Even without it, there's a faction unlocker that lets you play as them with proper quests, The Red Duke, artifacts, etc, and also a retexture that reskins most humanoid VC units in Bretonnian style, which is great.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Any books or even websites out there to get a feel for the world of Warhammer? I know only the little i've gleaned from the game so far. Would be nice to get background on the factions and their motivations

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Any books or even websites out there to get a feel for the world of Warhammer? I know only the little i've gleaned from the game so far. Would be nice to get background on the factions and their motivations

If you want to learn about stuff for the game, the best way is probably to just use a wiki and look up a central lore character. From there you can click around and see what's going on where, what each faction is doing, legendary people, etc. Karl Franz is a good jumping off point, and then you should probably read about Archaon as well.

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Karl_Franz

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Has anyone ever justified the Witch Hunter's J'accuse ability? How does he make orcs, vampires, human worshippers of other religions, dorfs, dragon ogres, etc. feel so bad about heresy it ruins their health temporarily?

He's not a living saint nor a wizard so that doesn't give him power.

I think that means he has the DnD bard ability where insulting people does damage.

You know how people try to hate you to death?

Theirs works

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Damn, they're releasing FreeLC lords faster than I can play through their campaigns. I'll allow it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Chaos invasion has started in earnest in my dwarf campaign. Not too worried form the north but three chaos armies spawned in my south. I had one army in the area who is now kind of skirmishing and clearing them slowly. I have a second army coming down to help them. The chaos armies just attacked me thinking that they can beat me. Its an even fight even with their two armies because they are walking into an insane quallerer army and the armies have no armor.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I almost regret pushing a VC campaign starting with Vlad now that we're getting DLC for them. I also found it weird that Mannfred becomes the leader if you recruit him after starting with Vlad. Ah well. I've conquered pretty much all of the empire and sub-factions now, just fending off Chaos while contemplating wiping out the elves before I go for the dwarves. The orcs did not do so well this go-around so I'm thinking Dwarves will take a while.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Isabella looks very cool. I assumed we'd seen the last of the Free LC

According to that flc chart they have on their website there's still one more flc after Isabella. The image says "an old friend" so who knows what that means. I wonder if it'll be something that links to the next game?

• Options
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    I almost regret pushing a VC campaign starting with Vlad now that we're getting DLC for them. I also found it weird that Mannfred becomes the leader if you recruit him after starting with Vlad. Ah well. I've conquered pretty much all of the empire and sub-factions now, just fending off Chaos while contemplating wiping out the elves before I go for the dwarves. The orcs did not do so well this go-around so I'm thinking Dwarves will take a while.

Unless it's a general thing it could be a pretty cool reference (or good/bad bug) to Mannfreds lore. His background in universe is pretty much "You know dudes. I've been wandering around the world looking for an answer. I found crazy deathmagic and now I'm back to become the leader of all vampires. Does anyone want to challenge my crazy deathmagic?". They do, they die, mannfred becomes the baws.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Isabella looks very cool. I assumed we'd seen the last of the Free LC

According to that flc chart they have on their website there's still one more flc after Isabella. The image says "an old friend" so who knows what that means. I wonder if it'll be something that links to the next game?

Maybe a new FLC Chaos lord champion that lets you play as the shapechanging wizard dude, and is tied into a reworking of the Chaos campaign.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    The community event has started. They're doing it differently this year, I guess each day will have a thingy and today's just seems to be to share the status of the game to your Twitter or FB. I have a throwaway twitter for this stuff so that works. Total War won today because some guy won while representing it in Sonic Racing.

If you want Isabella for free, check and see if you don't mind helping out every day. It's never anything big really, just an excuse for sales and giving away DLC. Total War seems to be the only game that gets DLC specifically made for this event every year, though.

https://makewarnotlove.com/

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    The community event has started. They're doing it differently this year, I guess each day will have a thingy and today's just seems to be to share the status of the game to your Twitter or FB. I have a throwaway twitter for this stuff so that works. Total War won today because some guy won while representing it in Sonic Racing.

If you want Isabella for free, check and see if you don't mind helping out every day. It's never anything big really, just an excuse for sales and giving away DLC. Total War seems to be the only game that gets DLC specifically made for this event every year, though.

I just looked at this now and it said today's challenge is finished and Total Warhammer won.
    What was the challenge? I assumed I would get an email about it when I registered on the site, but I haven't heard anything from them.

• Options

I just looked at this now and it said today's challenge is finished and Total Warhammer won.
    What was the challenge? I assumed I would get an email about it when I registered on the site, but I haven't heard anything from them.

Check your spam folder and double check you signed up to be on the Total War team. Today's challenge was a race between different members on each game's staff in... Sonic Racing, I think? Creative Assembly guy won and got the points for that. You also get points by doing the community stuff, like sharing to twitter or whatever. So it isn't just one thing, everything adds up.

The reward today is Warhammer gets a discount (which seems moot because it is in the humble bundle currently) but they also give you Company of Heroes 2 DLC and also uh, Shining Force I think? So free stuff.

I play Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, and Total War, so I guess I can't lose either way but makes more sense to support TW.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options

Check your spam folder and double check you signed up to be on the Total War team. Today's challenge was a race between different members on each game's staff in... Sonic Racing, I think? Creative Assembly guy won and got the points for that. You also get points by doing the community stuff, like sharing to twitter or whatever. So it isn't just one thing, everything adds up.

The reward today is Warhammer gets a discount (which seems moot because it is in the humble bundle currently) but they also give you Company of Heroes 2 DLC and also uh, Shining Force I think? So free stuff.

I play Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, and Total War, so I guess I can't lose either way but makes more sense to support TW.

I got an email shortly after my previous post. I got Steam codes for CoH2 DLC and Shining Force.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Anyone ever wonder why the eight pointed star of Chaos looks like a black metal'd Bhuddist symbol?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Ok so I redeemed the code for Shining Force and now I guess I have a game that consists of looking around a room and figuring out how you play games on your mega drive. And also there's an old RPG of some sort. Nope

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    god damn i really want to pick up all the dlc for this. i played a lot when the game came out and was only really ever super successful with the Empire, because Sigmar's guns are strong and will fuck you up.

But I love Beastmen and Wood Elves....

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    I'm around turn 40 in my empire game. Figure it's time to upgrade my main army.

Something like 5 shield spears, 4 greatswords, 4 crossbowmam, 2 cav, lord and wizard.

I didn't build towards arty yet, and reading that it's a big part of empire strength, but I figure that could fill the last 3 spots when the buildings are done.

That sound viable? Should I use Halbierders instead of the shield spears?

And my setup is pretty standard. Shields at the front. Bows next line. Swords spread behind spears to attack where needed. Cav on the wings to stop enemy cav or swing around to route archers and charge the back of engaged enemy infantry.

• Options
    No. Don't use halbardiers unless the enemy has a ton of armored cavalry. Even then you're better off making your own anti-armor cav (because yours is the best).

Almost always better to only use a minimal amount of crossbowmen and then either gorge on artillery (with a minimal amount of cavalry for hunting enemy cavalry) or 2x rocket batteries and then go crazy of cavalry.

• Options
    Ok. Cool.

Gotta stop trying to play them like the Dwarves

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Not that anyone in-thread should need it, but:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly
    $12 on the monthly is giving Total War Warhammer immediately
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I'm around turn 40 in my empire game. Figure it's time to upgrade my main army.

Something like 5 shield spears, 4 greatswords, 4 crossbowmam, 2 cav, lord and wizard.

I didn't build towards arty yet, and reading that it's a big part of empire strength, but I figure that could fill the last 3 spots when the buildings are done.

That sound viable? Should I use Halbierders instead of the shield spears?

And my setup is pretty standard. Shields at the front. Bows next line. Swords spread behind spears to attack where needed. Cav on the wings to stop enemy cav or swing around to route archers and charge the back of engaged enemy infantry.
    No. Don't use halbardiers unless the enemy has a ton of armored cavalry. Even then you're better off making your own anti-armor cav (because yours is the best).

Almost always better to only use a minimal amount of crossbowmen and then either gorge on artillery (with a minimal amount of cavalry for hunting enemy cavalry) or 2x rocket batteries and then go crazy of cavalry.

I will actually counterpoint that you can use them like dwarves fine, but shield spears are garbage and greatswords are really there as damage dealers and not particularly good ones. Crossbowmen are actually fine.

Your artillery isn't actually good enough to go too heavy on it against anything resembling force parity because your front line will get run over basically instantly before you can even start using danger close shots to bail them out.

I would probably run 6 Halberds (don't discount their anti-large, trolls will give you fits as well), fuck the greatswords and use a couple free company militia instead, then crossbows, outriders, pistoleers, 2-3 cavalry du jour, and a few artillery pieces.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Shield spears on the front with halberds on the flanks to protect from flanking cavalry or to collapse in and charge forces engaged with the spears in the rear.

You should be taking the lords army skill to give swords, spears and halberds +12 attack/defence (which actually gives halberds better skills than greatswords).

With the lord/captain skill to give all nearby troops defence against charges (all) shielded spearmen are pretty good front line troops.

Crossbows are strong ranged units they just aren't as hardy as quarrellers if they come under attack.

The rocket barrage artillery is solid, don't be put off by the 'low accuracy' modifier they will shred large infantry blobs at a huge range.

Once you get them throw in a couple of steam tanks to either be a fist that slams through the middle of enemy lines or an unbreakable shield on your flanks to prevent your line being surrounded.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Aren't Pistoleers the worst unit ever?

• Options
    They're fast and are an endless annoyance to armies that can't catch them but yeah they aren't great. But then you unlock outriders and their armour piercing damage and replace them all.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Waffen wrote: »
    Aren't Pistoleers the worst unit ever?

They are incapable of killing pretty much any other unit on their own (except, ironically, AI controlled/skirmish mode Outriders) but getting shot from the flank is still a noticable leadership hit, even with their pea shooters. Plus they are fast enough to chase down pretty much anything that is routing to continue inflicting casualties and keep them routed.

...and during early game empire, when your only cav unit is the one your LL started with, you need something to distract and harass enemy missile, especially vs. dwarfs and wood elves, and they're the first thing to show up that can... kinda... sorta... do it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    They're also acceptable at slinking around to the back and dealing with enemy artillery if you found yourself in a situation where you needed your melee cavalry for doing something else (like running over the enemy archers, which pistoleers and outriders lose hard to).

I personally don't really believe in taking Army skills (unless you're gobbos) because someone needs to go fight Archaon and other enemy LLs. Mind, Empire probably can kinda get away with not doing it between having the Luminark + a bright Wizard but still, having your Lord be the most beatstick they can be usually pays dividends.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    So they unveiled some of the Brettonian units in a stream today. I don't know much about their lore except its based in "traditional" medieval style and Arthurian myth. Some of what we've seen before, but they said everything already existing has been reworked and more units than what they showed were there. Favorite unit was a support unit that was a dead Grail Knight (literally his skeleton) dressed in armor, riding atop a dead horse, being carried by a few peasants.

Other than that, they showed their Greatsword equivalent units which looked quite cool, as well as Battle Pilgrims and also a mounted greatsword unit. Also, they implemented wedge formation for their shock cavalry so, yay, formation! Also they made mention that they don't just have one type of trebuchet which confused me but also excited me.

3 starting lords in different locations, a chivalry system based on events and how you deal with war and etc. The Green Knight is a hero that shows up in a manner that wasn't explained, but he's apparently a badass in-game. Royal Hippogryph flying units which are supposed to be able to go toe to toe with just about anything that flies. Seems cool.

They also showed off Vlad's faction and a quest battle with Isabela. Their whole thing looks interesting.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So won my first campaign as the dwarves. I will say it was anti-climatic. I was so powerful at the end there wasn't much to stand up to me. So I give it a B-. Had one good fight verse the Lord of Changes army. I saw it had 4 hellcannons and it was my army that had no good ways to deal with them. I mean dwarves don't have a great way of dealing with them anyway. But the map was my friend. Started me with a big mountain to pull my army behind which I did since Chaos attacked me and would of won in a more open field. My other problem was the giants. This was an army with no cannons and no slayers because I had it mostly wandering. Luckily it was also the army with Grombrindal.

Once chaos pulled into me well ahead of their scary arty they walked basically into a mouth of quarrler and they went down hard. Gombrindal is amazing any way and could solo armies. Still one of the cooler battles. The other was two chaos hordes fighting one of my southern clean up armies. I had them break upon my warriors and long beards as my crossbows and thunderers ripped up their sides.

I guess to cleanse I went the exact opposite with VCs. I am not expanding nearly as fast as I did with the dwarves because of the corruption mechanic. But also my neighbors feel stronger. But I have 3 provinces and the unholy sword on Manfred. Working towards a the 4th province and probably finishing up the border princes. Chaos will be coming soonish?

I do feel like I am doing fine but man my losses. Mostly zombies and skeletons who are totally expendable but after playing the dwarves it is nuts. One fight verse the beastmen who had 5 minotaurs I lost twice as many units as I killed but I still won. Mostly due to cycling my Vargheist into the rare line over and over. They had like 130 kills.

I love the monstrous creatures. I think I might get Beastmen because they are chaos and monstrous creature based as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

Or unless you're fighting Chaos. They have a buttload of "large" units and Halberds will rip right through them.

• Options
    Well, Total War has dominated the Make War Not Love contest, so it looks like Isabella is coming sooner rather than later.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So won my first campaign as the dwarves. I will say it was anti-climatic. I was so powerful at the end there wasn't much to stand up to me. So I give it a B-. Had one good fight verse the Lord of Changes army. I saw it had 4 hellcannons and it was my army that had no good ways to deal with them. I mean dwarves don't have a great way of dealing with them anyway. But the map was my friend. Started me with a big mountain to pull my army behind which I did since Chaos attacked me and would of won in a more open field. My other problem was the giants. This was an army with no cannons and no slayers because I had it mostly wandering. Luckily it was also the army with Grombrindal.

Once chaos pulled into me well ahead of their scary arty they walked basically into a mouth of quarrler and they went down hard. Gombrindal is amazing any way and could solo armies. Still one of the cooler battles. The other was two chaos hordes fighting one of my southern clean up armies. I had them break upon my warriors and long beards as my crossbows and thunderers ripped up their sides.

I guess to cleanse I went the exact opposite with VCs. I am not expanding nearly as fast as I did with the dwarves because of the corruption mechanic. But also my neighbors feel stronger. But I have 3 provinces and the unholy sword on Manfred. Working towards a the 4th province and probably finishing up the border princes. Chaos will be coming soonish?

I do feel like I am doing fine but man my losses. Mostly zombies and skeletons who are totally expendable but after playing the dwarves it is nuts. One fight verse the beastmen who had 5 minotaurs I lost twice as many units as I killed but I still won. Mostly due to cycling my Vargheist into the rare line over and over. They had like 130 kills.

I love the monstrous creatures. I think I might get Beastmen because they are chaos and monstrous creature based as well.

Quick tip for VC:

Necromancers!

At level 4 they can get master of the dead which is a constant healing aura, along with invocation of Nehek which can be overcast to be an aoe heal as well.

Pro tip: after winning a battle don't click end yet, clump all your wounded units together and get a necromancer in there with master of the dead, then overcast invocation of nehek on the whole bunch as many times as you can until your magic has run dry or the last fleeing enemy units leave the map.

Since invocation will raise the dead when other models in the unit are full hp, it's possible to restore pretty significant chunks of unit health at the end of a battle before returning to the campaign map.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Quick tip for VC:

Necromancers!

At level 4 they can get master of the dead which is a constant healing aura, along with invocation of Nehek which can be overcast to be an aoe heal as well.

Pro tip: after winning a battle don't click end yet, clump all your wounded units together and get a necromancer in there with master of the dead, then overcast invocation of nehek on the whole bunch as many times as you can until your magic has run dry or the last fleeing enemy units leave the map.

Since invocation will raise the dead when other models in the unit are full hp, it's possible to restore pretty significant chunks of unit health at the end of a battle before returning to the campaign map.

They actually had to nerf this strategy as VC would just never lose troops otherwise. Now everyone has a healing cap to prevent immortal units.

This discussion has been closed.