As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [steam] thread: Enter at your backlog's risk!

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    10ZeJ7c.jpg

Just beat War for the Overworld.

It definitely has load of nostalgia for Dungeon Keeper seeing as it is the spiritual successor. You're back to lord over your evil domain with the wonderful Richard Ridings at your side. He'll guide you in the conquest of the titular Overworld as you face the forces of the empire and traitorous other Underlords that get in the way of your evil schemes.

The Good: You'll carve out your dungeon from the cavernous earth and build various rooms to attract minions through gateways to do nefarious functions. Libraries attract warlocks, barracks attract gnarlings and so on. Some extra features for better micromanagement of your dungeon have been added like flagging certain important minions to ignore war banner calls as well as control groups to better focus your evil armies. Still, a well stocked dungeon will mostly take care of itself, the imps marvelous in their task of stomping out any lumps. New tabs and functions have also been added allowing you to gain alternate functions from dungeon keeper utility (i.e. restore earth to pretty up your dungeon or plug holes), various potions you can brew to various affects, and sanctuaries to charge diabolical rituals. There are also Titans, super units to help defend or destroy encroaching enemies, allowing to spearhead bastions your rabble cannot otherwise reliably take on.

The Bad: There is a sort of tech tree (The Veins of Evil) added and while I can see its function in multiplayer, its placement in singleplayer was rather odd. You unlock points (Sins) at your library, but often I'd have more points than I could spend and the new things I'd unlock could feel haphazard at times. While the dungeon takes care of itself, it still has the same problems as previous Dungeon Keeper games that things might actually be screwed up and you'll have no notion till it's far too late. Or conflicted AI--though usually behaved when a war banner was down. Minions are back to being instantly dropped without worry about fall recovery (ala DK1) but when fighting enemy Underlords could exhibit the problem of a fleshy combatant vs an AI on how well they can micro. Still, I only needed to retry a few missions a second time and the overall campaign clocks in at around 13 hours. Unfortunately it seems a bit short and that they should have spaced it out more or had more interesting side missions. Also the ending is kind of lackluster.

TLDR:
    Overall I'd give it an 8/10. A must have for fans of the old Dungeon Keeper but still a number of flaws remain. But I'd also recommend Dungeons 2 for a potential evolution on how these dungeon managements could be played.

I didn't hear good things about the original Dungeons. I take it the sequel was better in your opinion?

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/15740/discussions/0/412447613572972443/

Looks like Oddworld: Munch's Odysee has gotten a new port that's fixed a lot of the issues the game has always had, and has a few tweaked improvements too.

That is awesome on multiple levels. I mean, it's great that the game ever got a port in the first place, as it was a launch exclusive for the original Xbox, and games like that rarely see other platforms. I feel that it was also a criminally underrated game; sure, I'll concede it's perhaps not as much of a classic as certain other Oddworld games, but it was a really good game on its own merits. At least, I certainly remember it as such back in the day. And finally, the game hit Steam what, six years ago according to the date on its page? And it just now gets a new port to fix its issues? Okay, that's a very long wait, but most games would've just been left as it was. That they went back and fixed it even at this late stage is pretty damn awesome.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    There, that feels better. Kingdom Rush Frontiers is now happily sitting in my Steam library.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Spiderman Web of Shadows was indeed fantastic. It did come to pc but it was before Steam and online digital distribution was a thing.

Definitely going to look into the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, never got around to playing them back then. Probably wait for a sale next year. Look at me, being all responsible and shit!

Edit: Wow Swordy looks brilliantly fun!

Wow that's strange to think about. Both that WoS was that long ago even though it feels recent to me, and the fact that digital distribution hasn't been around for as long as it seems.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    A few little goodies repost.

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Woo green envelope!

z5m7ALo.png

Thanks, @chuck steak for Inside which is getting tremendous buzz. Also its supposed to be a kick in the emotional junk, so thanks for that too. :wink:

I'm loving your contest so far. Thanks for the giveaways and good cheer in the thread! <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Anyone want this 25% off Kingdom Rush Frontiers coupon? I'm still playing through the first one.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I finished Inside this weekend. Pretty quick game. A very carefully crafted mood and environment. Cool stuff.
    Enjoyed the stranger places it went. Thumbs up.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I finished Inside this weekend. Pretty quick game. A very carefully crafted mood and environment. Cool stuff.

Must. Not. Make. Phrasing. Joke.

Must. Resist.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Everyone should finish Inside at least once in their lives.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Marikir wrote: »
    10ZeJ7c.jpg

It definitely has load of nostalgia for Dungeon Keeper seeing as it is the spiritual successor. You're back to lord over your evil domain with the wonderful Richard Ridings at your side. He'll guide you in the conquest of the titular Overworld as you face the forces of the empire and traitorous other Underlords that get in the way of your evil schemes.

The Good: You'll carve out your dungeon from the cavernous earth and build various rooms to attract minions through gateways to do nefarious functions. Libraries attract warlocks, barracks attract gnarlings and so on. Some extra features for better micromanagement of your dungeon have been added like flagging certain important minions to ignore war banner calls as well as control groups to better focus your evil armies. Still, a well stocked dungeon will mostly take care of itself, the imps marvelous in their task of stomping out any lumps. New tabs and functions have also been added allowing you to gain alternate functions from dungeon keeper utility (i.e. restore earth to pretty up your dungeon or plug holes), various potions you can brew to various affects, and sanctuaries to charge diabolical rituals. There are also Titans, super units to help defend or destroy encroaching enemies, allowing to spearhead bastions your rabble cannot otherwise reliably take on.

The Bad: There is a sort of tech tree (The Veins of Evil) added and while I can see its function in multiplayer, its placement in singleplayer was rather odd. You unlock points (Sins) at your library, but often I'd have more points than I could spend and the new things I'd unlock could feel haphazard at times. While the dungeon takes care of itself, it still has the same problems as previous Dungeon Keeper games that things might actually be screwed up and you'll have no notion till it's far too late. Or conflicted AI--though usually behaved when a war banner was down. Minions are back to being instantly dropped without worry about fall recovery (ala DK1) but when fighting enemy Underlords could exhibit the problem of a fleshy combatant vs an AI on how well they can micro. Still, I only needed to retry a few missions a second time and the overall campaign clocks in at around 13 hours. Unfortunately it seems a bit short and that they should have spaced it out more or had more interesting side missions. Also the ending is kind of lackluster.

TLDR:
    Overall I'd give it an 8/10. A must have for fans of the old Dungeon Keeper but still a number of flaws remain. But I'd also recommend Dungeons 2 for a potential evolution on how these dungeon managements could be played.

I didn't hear good things about the original Dungeons. I take it the sequel was better in your opinion?

Yeah the first one is more like a Dungeons Tycoon game where you have to entertain and entice heroes to enter yours. Works great for the card game Boss Monster but it was all sorts of tedious as a video game. I played the demo and then never bought it.

Dungeons 2 is much closer to the Dungeon Keeper formula though it comes with its own pros an cons. It has an over world to venture out to from your dungeon to conquer turning it into an RTS hybrid while on the surface. The dungeon is all autonomous other than the usual room and trap placements. It does have more microing thank DK but it is also a lot slower pace which is good and bad. Battle can still get hectic but the dungeon building can be a bit slow. It still works really well and you have the narrator from the Stanley Parable to guide and entertain you.

I also gave it an 8/10 IIRC so they both do a good job scratching that Dungeon Keeper itch.

Karoz on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Man, the Ultimate Alliance games were fantastic but holy shit they are not worth $40 each in 2016.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Man, the Ultimate Alliance games were fantastic but holy shit they are not worth $40 each in 2016.

Activision gonna Activision.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    My friends. I am here today to tell you about a game that is selling pretty badly right now for how FUCKING AMAZING it is.

UBHnDDZ.jpg

Death Road to Canada is a 2D retro graphics style zombie survival game tha- WAIT WAIT WAIT! Don't leave yet! The game tasks you as a group of survivors trying to escape the zombie apocalypse to the only safe haven left in canada. The game is split into two parts. Driving the car in which you will get little FTL-like scenarios that depending on your party, stats, equipment, supplies ETC can be good or bad. The other side is an arcadeish game where you travel around various locations trying to collect supplies and keep from getting killed by the zombies. It's all randomly generated so every playthrough is unique. Though characters are random, you can make your own custom characters, and each character has traits that can be leveled. once the traits are leveled, they stay leveled forever, so there's a bit of progression at least.

Now, that by itself is pretty good. But where the game REALLY shines is the humor. This is not your usual dark and dreary zombie game The tone goes for more of a Shaun of the dead thing, where most of the time you're getting comedy with a little bit of drama and tension every now and then. Humor is subjective, but I think the game does it really well. You can find dogs. You can maybe teach the dogs how to drive a car. You can find a luchadore named El Satan.
    You can find an anime magical girl who is broken as hell and can carry the game for you, but gets more and more anime as the game progresses until she reaches peak anime and literally explodes.

It's been awhile since a zombie game was right up my alley and my jam, but here we are. Death Road to Canada is my jam. It's so good.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Spec Ops: The Line!

Loading...?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I'm a part of a gaming group on Facebook, and every once in a while, this one guy pops on giving away keys from various bundles. The upshot here is that I now have Borderlands: The Presequel, and that one dude is awesome.

I know it's not Steam thread gifting in specific, but I like sharing when things like this happen outside the thread as well, because I think it's pretty cool. :biggrin:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Must. Resist.

Phrasing?

• Options
    edited July 2016

Must. Resist.

Phrasing?

I bolded my assumptions.
    Of course, the last sentence only works with the prior one.

vamen on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Everyone should finish Inside at least once in their lives.

Must. Resist.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I will never get tired of naming PA'ers as my custom characters in Death Road to Canada.

LOCpb6V.jpg

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    I will never get tired of naming PA'ers as my custom characters in Death Road to Canada.

LOCpb6V.jpg

I've never heard of this game but this makes me want to play it.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

LOCpb6V.jpg

Just look a couple posts up to hear more about it and how supremely good it is.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    heenato wrote: »

LOCpb6V.jpg

Wishlisted!
    Aside from your review and screens - which had already sold me - the trailer with the wiener-mobile plowing through zombies sold me further still.

vamen on
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular

LOCpb6V.jpg

My wishlist is getting out of hand...

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    My friends. I am here today to tell you about a game that is selling pretty badly right now for how FUCKING AMAZING it is.

UBHnDDZ.jpg

Death Road to Canada is a 2D retro graphics style zombie survival game tha- WAIT WAIT WAIT! Don't leave yet! The game tasks you as a group of survivors trying to escape the zombie apocalypse to the only safe haven left in canada. The game is split into two parts. Driving the car in which you will get little FTL-like scenarios that depending on your party, stats, equipment, supplies ETC can be good or bad. The other side is an arcadeish game where you travel around various locations trying to collect supplies and keep from getting killed by the zombies. It's all randomly generated so every playthrough is unique. Though characters are random, you can make your own custom characters, and each character has traits that can be leveled. once the traits are leveled, they stay leveled forever, so there's a bit of progression at least.

Now, that by itself is pretty good. But where the game REALLY shines is the humor. This is not your usual dark and dreary zombie game The tone goes for more of a Shaun of the dead thing, where most of the time you're getting comedy with a little bit of drama and tension every now and then. Humor is subjective, but I think the game does it really well. You can find dogs. You can maybe teach the dogs how to drive a car. You can find a luchadore named El Satan.
    You can find an anime magical girl who is broken as hell and can carry the game for you, but gets more and more anime as the game progresses until she reaches peak anime and literally explodes.

It's been awhile since a zombie game was right up my alley and my jam, but here we are. Death Road to Canada is my jam. It's so good.

Man, I just spent the last of my Steam credit on Kingdom Rush!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ghost of a Tale released today. Do I get that... or Lollipop Chainsaw for the PS3? Decisions! Full Ponder Mode ahead! :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Ha...haha.....ahaha. AHAHAHAHA! anniversary-wow.png It didn't give me the badge until I logged myself out and then back in. Cower before me mortals!

(Break out the confetti and noisemakers I told you to get rid of a few days back. Commence the merry making.)

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular

LOCpb6V.jpg

Wishlisted!
    Aside from your review and screens - which had already sold me - the trailer with the wiener-mobile plowing through zombies sold me further still.

First run through I had to abandon my little car when it broke down... and I found the doggy van from Dumb 'n' Dumber.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    I seem to have been the victim of a drive-by @Talus9952 ing. Thanks for Galak-z! Its been on my radar for awhile.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Marikir wrote: »
    10ZeJ7c.jpg

TLDR:

Yeah the first one is more like a Dungeons Tycoon game where you have to entertain and entice heroes to enter yours. Works great for the card game Boss Monster but it was all sorts of tedious as a video game. I played the demo and then never bought it.

Dungeons 2 is much closer to the Dungeon Keeper formula though it comes with its own pros an cons. It has an over world to venture out to from your dungeon to conquer turning it into an RTS hybrid while on the surface. The dungeon is all autonomous other than the usual room and trap placements. It does have more microing thank DK but it is also a lot slower pace which is good and bad. Battle can still get hectic but the dungeon building can be a bit slow. It still works really well and you have the narrator from the Stanley Parable to guide and entertain you.

I also gave it an 8/10 IIRC so they both do a good job scratching that Dungeon Keeper itch.

I hope this is a sub genre that gets continually revisited and reimagined.

Tried looking at some indie Japanese games like this and they all came across as looking not fun and highly automated.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    I've been almost two weeks away from games, and I want to play all the things. Can't play anything until Wednesday.

The pain!

And now i want death road to Canada too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Just in case there is someone here that doesn't own this already, COME GET IT!

signature.png

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Ghost of a Tale released today. Do I get that... or Lollipop Chainsaw for the PS3? Decisions! Full Ponder Mode ahead! :lol:

Lollipop Chainsaw is a fun time.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I take one little road trip and miss the Starship Troopers conversation. Go read the book- it's not quite what you'd expect.

Unfortunately, I didn't much lead time with the computer I have for the trip and I'm not even going to attempt to download games on this crappy hotel wi-fi. Instead I'll just have to watch Pixie's slow fall from grace. In a few weeks, she'll be playing CoD and Madden. In a few months she won't see the point in anything past 1080p. A little while later she'll be in an alley muttering about people who spend too much money on video cards and wondering how her life led her to this.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    I take one little road trip and miss the Starship Troopers conversation. Go read the book- it's not quite what you'd expect.

Unfortunately, I didn't much lead time with the computer I have for the trip and I'm not even going to attempt to download games on this crappy hotel wi-fi. Instead I'll just have to watch Pixie's slow fall from grace. In a few weeks, she'll be playing CoD and Madden. In a few months she won't see the point in anything past 1080p. A little while later she'll be in an alley muttering about people who spend too much money on video cards and wondering how her life led her to this.

I don't believe Pixie will end up playing Madden. Being not up with american sports games, is there an equivilant for Baseball?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

I don't believe Pixie will end up playing Madden. Being not up with american sports games, is there an equivilant for Baseball?

Paint Drying Simulator 2016.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

Sadly, the days of great PC baseball games that aren't Out of the Park seem to be in the past. out of the Park is just numbers and text so it's a totally different experience.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

I'm not sure if the new versions are available for ps3 but The Show is an excellent baseball videogame and it has been a PlayStation exclusive for years.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options

I baked a cake after work. Then settled in on the couch with Heavy Rain on the PS3. And cake. That I don't have to share with anyone.

This is a long, dark, terrible path ahead of me...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.