Options

The [steam] thread: Enter at your backlog's risk!

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    I take one little road trip and miss the Starship Troopers conversation. Go read the book- it's not quite what you'd expect.

Unfortunately, I didn't much lead time with the computer I have for the trip and I'm not even going to attempt to download games on this crappy hotel wi-fi. Instead I'll just have to watch Pixie's slow fall from grace. In a few weeks, she'll be playing CoD and Madden. In a few months she won't see the point in anything past 1080p. A little while later she'll be in an alley muttering about people who spend too much money on video cards and wondering how her life led her to this.

I baked a cake after work. Then settled in on the couch with Heavy Rain on the PS3. And cake. That I don't have to share with anyone.

This is a long, dark, terrible path ahead of me...

To be fair, you also have a long, dark, terrible path behind you.

I was just going to make a quick "fallen to the dark side" comment, but then I remembered who the hell I was talking about. ;-)

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Ghost of a Tale released today. Do I get that... or Lollipop Chainsaw for the PS3? Decisions! Full Ponder Mode ahead! :lol:

Lollipop Chainsaw was a little sleazy - don't everyone be all shocked, apparently even I have standards - and could have done with some extra work on character animation, but was a lot of fun and has one of my favorite end bosses ever.

Also the voice actress of the main character is also the voice of Twilight Sparkle and it is very weird hearing a pony princess talking about killing zombies.

twiwood.png

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Yeah, I haven't decided. I'm leaning toward the zombie killing cheerleader, but... dunno.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I haven't played either, so grain of salt, but I seem to recall people saying Lollipop Chainsaw was just a slightly less good Onechanbara?

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Has there been a good hitman gameesque by another team?

And what is that game where you run around high rises and kill vampires, werewolves, and leprechauns?

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    If it makes a difference, Ghost of a Tale is Early Access, so it might be worth waiting on that one.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I take one little road trip and miss the Starship Troopers conversation. Go read the book- it's not quite what you'd expect.

Unfortunately, I didn't much lead time with the computer I have for the trip and I'm not even going to attempt to download games on this crappy hotel wi-fi. Instead I'll just have to watch Pixie's slow fall from grace. In a few weeks, she'll be playing CoD and Madden. In a few months she won't see the point in anything past 1080p. A little while later she'll be in an alley muttering about people who spend too much money on video cards and wondering how her life led her to this.

I have read it a few times and love it. I love the movie, too, but for completely different reasons. I'm also a big fan of the CGI show.

I'm honestly not sure how I didn't know there was more than one film.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

I don't believe Pixie will end up playing Madden. Being not up with american sports games, is there an equivilant for Baseball?

Really, the only fun sports game is Footie manager. Not going to buy the yearly editions until they get windows (or at least tabs) figured out, though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    If it makes a difference, Ghost of a Tale is Early Access, so it might be worth waiting on that one.

Game is incredibly pretty considering only one man has done "90% of the art". Looking forward to playing this when it gets out of EA.

• Options
    Oh? fatal red lasers? enemy summoning blue lasers? tanker enemies?

Duke Nukem Manhatten project making this last level interesting in low gravity.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    jclast wrote: »

I have read it a few times and love it. I love the movie, too, but for completely different reasons. I'm also a big fan of the CGI show.

The movie shares very little with the book with the exception that Earth is embroiled in a war with aliens fought by troopers who sometimes ride in starships.

The movie was basically a cleverly self-aware satire masquerading as a BDF (big, dumb, and fun) movie that you used to show off your new DVD player/home theater system (see also: Saving Private Ryan, Independence Day) that was 90% spectacle, 5% awesome one liners, 3% BUUUUUGS! and 2% boobs. The hardcore far right military theme is creepily relevant today but the movie shows you enough blood and gore and cool spaceships zooming around that you wouldn't be blamed if you didn't catch it. It's brilliantly deceptive in its message and I could probably ramble on about it forever.

The sequels were all direct to video affairs roughly on par with your average Sci-Fi Channel Original Picture and it's absolutely criminal that there hasn't been a good game made that is set in the universe.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited July 2016

The movie shares very little with the book with the exception that Earth is embroiled in a war with aliens fought by troopers who sometimes ride in starships.

The movie was basically a cleverly self-aware satire masquerading as a BDF (big, dumb, and fun) movie that you used to show off your new DVD player/home theater system (see also: Saving Private Ryan, Independence Day) that was 90% spectacle, 5% awesome one liners, 3% BUUUUUGS! and 2% boobs. The sequels were all direct to video affairs roughly on par with your average Sci-Fi Channel Original Picture and it's absolutely criminal that there hasn't been a good game made that is set in the universe.

The anime is criminally short narrative for six episodes but does manage to show Johnny's evolution as a soldier.
    wtf azuma?

edit: So this Russian level in original war had me attack a base, and get offers of help and then have to attack another base.

If I chose to accept that help

If I needed that help.

I grabbed two level 9 bazooka troopers and backed them up with two level 10 scientists and slowly chewed through the entire base. I didn't get the level but took the entire base in minutes. It would have taken longer but I stopped to capture some things.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Has there been a good hitman gameesque by another team?

I'm not sure if they are any good as I only played the first level a few years ago but the Death To Spies games are heavily inspired by Hitman

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Ghost of a Tale released today. Do I get that... or Lollipop Chainsaw for the PS3? Decisions! Full Ponder Mode ahead! :lol:

Lollipop Chainsaw was a little sleazy - don't everyone be all shocked, apparently even I have standards - and could have done with some extra work on character animation, but was a lot of fun and has one of my favorite end bosses ever.

Also the voice actress of the main character is also the voice of Twilight Sparkle and it is very weird hearing a pony princess talking about killing zombies.

twiwood.png

That meme made me laugh more than I would have expected.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I have been reading and watching far too much stuff about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Most hyped I've been for a game all year.

The Mechanical Apartheid is one of the best promo pieces I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7XCAgj0TtI

I loved Human Revolution so, so much (it's the only game I can think of that I have four copies of - standard and Director's Cut on both Steam and Xbox 360). So stoked for Mankind Divided, even if I'll have to resort to the Xbox One version for now.

I do wonder if they could have come up with a better subtitle, though...

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Wow, LIMBO is dark.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Also, here's an interview with the creator of Bad Rats. It's... well, it's definitely something!

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I lamented to @Pixelated Pixie earlier about how all my Death Road to Canada runs end in, well, death.

She suggested that my problem was that I wasn't working with enough pink.

w03C1aS.jpg

I've corrected this.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Spec Ops: The Line!

Loading...?

I decided to take this, because I noticed nobody else had and I'm keen to play through this on PC. I never got to finish this game on console, so seeing the ending for myself would be great.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Berylline wrote: »

This is a good point. I don't mind EA at all and have played quite a few EA games but it makes it less "play now" motivating.

Crazy chainsaw-wielding cheerleader it is.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    We Happy Few just hit Early Access.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/320240/
    Why Early Access?
    “Because the game is not finished yet, and we need your help!

Since March 2015, we have been building We Happy Few openly with our community. First at PAX East, then with our Kickstarter pre-alpha players, and soon on Early Access. However, this is a fully 3D procedural world, intended to be played over and over again, with multiple playstyles, and with multiple characters. We need solid feedback to make sure that we create the best game we can, and we think Early Access is the best way to do that.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
    “Between six and twelve months.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“The game's story, apart from certain moments, will not be included in the Early Access version of the game. By "the story" we mean the narrative areas, gameplay and cutscenes that make up a traditional single player story.
    We will also be developing the various game modes and difficulties throughout Early Access, and may not have all options available until final release. We will also be iterating on the game with community, including a couple of major updates that will add to the design, so the features listed on this page may change.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
    “The Early Access version will be mostly feature complete, at an alpha level. You can fight, conform, hide, and escape the islands (although to start, we will only have access to 3/5 islands). There is a lot of content still to be created, including more islands, encounters, NPC behaviours, gameplay features, and a proper final challenge/ending, and a large amount of work to do on balance and polish.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
    “Yes, the price will be lower during Early Access.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
    “We'll be reviewing community feedback on both the Steam and our Compulsion Games forums, sending out surveys, and doing our best to incorporate the feedback into updated builds. We're aiming to send out updates every month, with the idea that they'll both address community feedback and add new content to play. If you want to look at our track record, feel free to look at the Compulsion Games forums or the weekly updates we have been posting since June 2015.”

Donnicton on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I have been reading and watching far too much stuff about Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Most hyped I've been for a game all year.

I loved Human Revolution so, so much (it's the only game I can think of that I have four copies of - standard and Director's Cut on both Steam and Xbox 360). So stoked for Mankind Divided, even if I'll have to resort to the Xbox One version for now.

I am now re-excited for DX...which I forgot is coming out pretty freakin' soon.

• Options

The movie was basically a cleverly self-aware satire masquerading as a BDF (big, dumb, and fun) movie that you used to show off your new DVD player/home theater system (see also: Saving Private Ryan, Independence Day) that was 90% spectacle, 5% awesome one liners, 3% BUUUUUGS! and 2% boobs. The sequels were all direct to video affairs roughly on par with your average Sci-Fi Channel Original Picture and it's absolutely criminal that there hasn't been a good game made that is set in the universe.

The anime is criminally short narrative for six episodes but does manage to show Johnny's evolution as a soldier.
    wtf azuma?

edit: So this Russian level in original war had me attack a base, and get offers of help and then have to attack another base.

If I chose to accept that help

If I needed that help.

I grabbed two level 9 bazooka troopers and backed them up with two level 10 scientists and slowly chewed through the entire base. I didn't get the level but took the entire base in minutes. It would have taken longer but I stopped to capture some things.

An anime, too? Man, I've got a lot of Starship Troopers to find and watch. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I baked a cake after work. Then settled in on the couch with Heavy Rain on the PS3. And cake. That I don't have to share with anyone.

This is a long, dark, terrible delicious path ahead of me...

Fixed that as someone that has made cheesecakes, batches of cookies, and gallons of ice cream that he did not share.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I too am looking forward to this. I just finished Deus Ex Human Revolution a few months ago and completely loved it! I can't wait!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Those of you who play with a controller on PC, for action games and whatnot, what do you use? I'm on the verge of backing Moon Lighter in hopes of early access to the beta next year and I haven't decided on backing for PC or console.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I use an Xbox One controller, as well as my old 360 controller for two player. I like the pad, and most games fully support them out of the box these days.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Those of you who play with a controller on PC, for action games and whatnot, what do you use? I'm on the verge of backing Moon Lighter in hopes of early access to the beta next year and I haven't decided on backing for PC or console.

Steam controller. I used to use the 360 controller but retired it once I got used to the Steam one.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Steam controller or 360 controller, though I don't think I've plugged my 360 controller in for a long while

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I use an Xbox One controller, as well as my old 360 controller for two player. I like the pad, and most games fully support them out of the box these days.

And for me, plugging in my xb1 controller with a micro usb cable was all it took. No setup or anything.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

I use a wired 360 controller.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    Ha...haha.....ahaha. AHAHAHAHA! anniversary-wow.png It didn't give me the badge until I logged myself out and then back in. Cower before me mortals!

(Break out the confetti and noisemakesr I told you to get rid of a few days back. Commence the merry making.)

One of us...

• Options

XB1 controller is nice as it's nearly universally supported. DS4 with InputMapper is nice (for me, and I'm apparently a special snowflake here) because Windows lets Steam see it on the regular instead of claiming it as its own special toy and making me roll back drivers all the damn time.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Wired 360 or Xbone controller will give you the most support without messing around with 3rd party applications. I personally just switched to using a Dualshock 4 after years of being in the 360 controller camp, and I think it's Sony's first decent controller in 20+ years of making controllers, but you do need software that convinces games to see it as an MS controller and you will need to be able to mentally map 360-style button prompts to PS buttons if you go that route.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Many thanks, kind thread.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

360 wired controller. It's always worked great for me.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The nice thing about the PS4 controller is that you can use the touchpad like a mouse, which is nice to have for going through menus when you're playing a game that only has 'partial' controller support.

I don't have a PS4 anymore though, so I picked up an Xbone controller some time ago and it has worked well, even with the objectively wrong analog stick placement.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Bit behind on Berylline's DA:O streams now.
    Choice quote: Now I'm going to loot your whole place. He's unconscious, it's not like he needs it anyway.

Haven't gotten up to much Steam gaming other that Inside over the weekend. But I did also start up Doom. Played through the first two levels. Rather good stuff. Will play some more later.
    Not quite sure what I'm in the mood for right now, and have had small pockets of time, so mostly playing Overwatch here and there right now.

• Options
    I will say - after a few days now of playing with a PS3, I love its controller and would probably never choose a 360 one over it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.