As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Even Sicker Tat, Brah

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Bear on bear

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Well, more bear on otter

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Are you propositioning me Keith?

• Options
    Campy wrote: »
    Are you propositioning me Keith?

Always

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Even though I won't get my first tattoo until November, I'm still thinking about my next tattoo. So question for the tattoo pros: Just how inadvisable is it to get a tattoo on the palms of your hands?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Even though I won't get my first tattoo until November, I'm still thinking about my next tattoo. So question for the tattoo pros: Just how inadvisable is it to get a tattoo on the palms of your hands?

I imagine the skin on the palms is replaced often.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular

it hurts like fucking hell, is hard to get it to stay, and drops ink like a mother fucker

there's a reason you don't really see people with it done

source: my dad and sister decided to get palm tattoos and both of them are totally unreadable messes not even 3 years later - my sister's is almost completely gone - and they both said it's the most painful tattoo they ever had

• Options
    Looooots of nerve endings in your hands.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »

it hurts like fucking hell, is hard to get it to stay, and drops ink like a mother fucker

source: my dad and sister decided to get palm tattoos and both of them are totally unreadable messes not even 3 years later - my sister's is almost completely gone - and they both said it's the most painful tattoo they ever had

Sigh. I was afraid of that. I'd even endure the pain, but the quick disappearance is annoying.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Oh thank good new tattoo thread

I missed you guys

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »

Sigh. I was afraid of that. I'd even endure the pain, but the quick disappearance is annoying.

Back of the hand maybe?

sig.gif
  • Options
    There's also the stigma for hand tattoos to bear in mind. Can't cover those bad boys up if you need to work any sort of corporate job.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    There's also the stigma for hand tattoos to bear in mind. Can't cover those bad boys up if you need to work any sort of corporate job.

idea: stigma hand tattoos

broken image link
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    My first thought was hamsas, but that works, too.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Tat thread, where can I go to look for ways to combine all the fandoms I'm part of. Like there are probably a good ten symbols from various books, games, and movies that I really like, but I have no way to get them together. All I've come up with so far on my own is a bunch of hexagons with the symbol inside spread out along one side or something.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tattoo artists do that for a living.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Tat thread, where can I go to look for ways to combine all the fandoms I'm part of. Like there are probably a good ten symbols from various books, games, and movies that I really like, but I have no way to get them together. All I've come up with so far on my own is a bunch of hexagons with the symbol inside spread out along one side or something.

kv1oqvi79m95.jpg

?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    My aesthetic sense is much more oriented to geometric design that art. Even that is misleading because my aesthetic sense is really poor when it comes to art. So something like that would not be my personal preference, but I see where you are coming from.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    (Keith was coming from a place of humouress intent)

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I read that as humorless at first. Still kinda worked.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    That might be the most incredible amalgam of poor decisions that I've ever seen.

• Options
    I understand why they made Darth Vader's head purple.

But still, why in Jebus' name is Darth Vader's head purple?!

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    My artist has said flat out NO to a few ideas.

Bless that man, there should be more like him, unlike whoever did that.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I understand why they made Darth Vader's head purple.

But still, why in Jebus' name is Darth Vader's head purple?!
    Black on black would somehow make it worse. It was probably a compromise.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    It is not a compromise you want to make with a dick shaped helmet.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    ainAzx6l.jpg
    Progress so far

sVUbtcnl.jpg

vesoFW4l.jpg

FYI using the selfie camera on your phone to take pictures of the back of your leg is pretty awkward

All done!
    6QuTr7Ol.jpg

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    @TheRoadVirus that is super awesome, I love the blue ink

Tara got her first tattoo done, she's wanted something like this for a really long time and the artist had a special sale on mandalas for this month. She handled it like a boss and two hours later, after it was done, the artist casually commented that this was the largest mandala he had ever done

ntkzphrf142t.jpeg
    s27bmaj8puir.jpeg

I'd say it turned out fantastically
    I am only a little jealous of her

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Oh dang that looks rad!

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    @Tommy2hands - the artist did a hell of a job, that looks incredible.

@TheRoadVirus - I agree with Tommy, that blue in your tattoo is amazing, I really love what that adds to it.

vamen on
  • Options
    Not mine, but another sleeve by my artist:

Going to see him on Sunday. :)

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I don't suppose anyone has any cool after-care tips I could share with her?

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I don't suppose anyone has any cool after-care tips I could share with her?

Just do what your artist suggested.

General tips are keep it moisturized, don't scratch the scabs, don't let it get too much sun, don't let it get waterlogged.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    look into Tegaderm / Saniderm / Tatuderm. i used it on my last tattoo and plan to use it on future ones.

this is the aftercare i have followed, and i only used mild balms to moisturize, specifically, Ultrabalm from lush. on the tattoo i used the Tegaderm: i got it at night, so after a couple hours, i cleaned it, moisturized, and loosely covered it with gauze for overnight. the next afternoon (having cleaned it, remoisturized and covered with fresh gauze that morning), i cleaned it and applied the Tegaderm, and just left it for 3-4 days. i didn't have much weepage, and it is a small piece, but i was really pleased with the protection and ease it offered.

the main thing to convey is to keep your hands off it except when cleaning/moisturizing, and to not overdo it on either of those, but that shouldn't be too difficult given the location. slapping or scratching near the tattoo can help if it gets too itchy. try not to stress about the details, and listen to what your body tells you.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Seriously though don't scratch the scabs.

Don't. They can itch like a motherfucker, but an ice pack for a minute or two will stop the itch.

Scratching the scab causes an open wound which will leech ink and increases chances of infection. Infected tattoos are BAD.

• Options
    TrustTrust Registered User regular
    An odd quirk of some human brains is that if you look in the mirror and scratch the opposite side of your body to where is itching - left shoulder when right shoulder itches, for example - your brain can think you're scratching the itch.

We Stand Ready
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I know people say to slap on or near it but honestly that just made it painful AND itchy for me... I only had one distractingly bad itching day and I watched super tragic dramas to remind myself of how small the scale of my suffering was

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Got my latest one yesterday. It's basically similar to what I wanted for the background of my previous tattoo, but I ended up liking the pure line art so much I didn't want to touch it, so I got the color done on the opposite side of my arm.

sybcfulq712d.jpg

vamen on
  • Options
    Something new.

zc0c8vgxh5z2.jpg

I am pleased with it.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Man, I messaged this tattoo artist whose art I'm 100% over the moon in love with a couple of weeks back, but I haven't heard a peep yet and I'm so annnnxious. I want to follow up but I also don't want to bother her if her books are totally swamped.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Hey Salient, bit of a slow reply here, but yeah sometimes artists will get waaaaay behind on emails so you might not see a reply for a while. If they have a number I reckon give them a call and see what their availability is like and whatnot.

On the Campy front, I'm off to get some more work done tomorrow. Full session booked in, so it's gonna be ~6 hours of fun fun fun! My body also decided that immune systems are silly and not worth having, so I have a head cold too. Hopefully will be feeling better by tomorrow...