As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Billion Degrees of [Science]

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Ten thousand light years from earth in a constellation far, far away, there is massive cloud of alcohol. It’s space booze.

Discovered in 1995 near the constellation Aquila, the cloud is 1000 times larger than the diameter of our solar system. It contains enough ethyl alcohol to fill 400 trillion trillion pints of beer. To down that much alcohol, every person on earth would have to drink 300,000 pints each day—for one billion years.

nice

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We can currently make telescopes that come very close to giving us the highest resolution possible for their size. We are actually running up against the physical constraints of what light can tell us before things go all quantum and fuzzy. The only way we currently know of to get better telescopes is to build bigger mirrors. According to this article, spotting something the size of a blue whale on the surface of the nearest known exoplanet would require a telescope the diameter of the sun. And as a time machine, this would only buy you about four years of history. Even assuming an FTL drive, using a telescope to try and study the Civil War is pretty impractical based on what we currently know about light and optics, and there's not much on the horizon that seems likely to remedy that.

Arthur C. Clarke came up with an idea that might help: if you could create and maintain a wormhole large enough to act as a lens, you could use it to instantaneously observe faraway objects. In your case, if you could instantly travel 50 light years away and generate a wormhole 50 light years long, you could use it to observe the Earth as it was in 1966.

Of course, in certain mathematical models of wormholes, you wouldn't even have to travel 50 light years away. A wormhole that sees the present 50 light years away and one that sees the room you're in 50 years ago are pretty much indistinguishable mathematically. Stephen Baxter took this idea and created a really neat story in The Light of Other Days.

Holy crap, someone else who read The Light of Other Days? I thought I was the only one!

sig.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Ten thousand light years from earth in a constellation far, far away, there is massive cloud of alcohol. It’s space booze.

Discovered in 1995 near the constellation Aquila, the cloud is 1000 times larger than the diameter of our solar system. It contains enough ethyl alcohol to fill 400 trillion trillion pints of beer. To down that much alcohol, every person on earth would have to drink 300,000 pints each day—for one billion years.

nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i3zrzyLOCw

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    We can currently make telescopes that come very close to giving us the highest resolution possible for their size. We are actually running up against the physical constraints of what light can tell us before things go all quantum and fuzzy. The only way we currently know of to get better telescopes is to build bigger mirrors. According to this article, spotting something the size of a blue whale on the surface of the nearest known exoplanet would require a telescope the diameter of the sun. And as a time machine, this would only buy you about four years of history. Even assuming an FTL drive, using a telescope to try and study the Civil War is pretty impractical based on what we currently know about light and optics, and there's not much on the horizon that seems likely to remedy that.

Arthur C. Clarke came up with an idea that might help: if you could create and maintain a wormhole large enough to act as a lens, you could use it to instantaneously observe faraway objects. In your case, if you could instantly travel 50 light years away and generate a wormhole 50 light years long, you could use it to observe the Earth as it was in 1966.

Of course, in certain mathematical models of wormholes, you wouldn't even have to travel 50 light years away. A wormhole that sees the present 50 light years away and one that sees the room you're in 50 years ago are pretty much indistinguishable mathematically. Stephen Baxter took this idea and created a really neat story in The Light of Other Days.

Holy crap, someone else who read The Light of Other Days? I thought I was the only one!

Hah! The fact that you, of all forumers, are the first other person I've heard of who read that book is somehow not surprising. It was a weird one, but the ideas certainly stick with you.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Discovered in 1995 near the constellation Tequila, the cloud is 1000 times larger than the diameter of our solar system. It contains enough ethyl alcohol to fill 400 trillion trillion pints of beer. To down that much alcohol, every person on earth would have to drink 300,000 pints each day—for one billion years.

nice

fixed for accuracy

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Speaking of planetary naming conventions, currently an area on Pluto is named the Cthulhu Regio, apparently coming from an online poll conducted for creatures related to underworld mythologies." It could become the official name in the future.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Speaking of planetary naming conventions, currently an area on Pluto is named the Cthulhu Regio, apparently coming from an online poll conducted for creatures related to underworld mythologies." It could become the official name in the future.

I particularly like the "Mordor Macula".

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Charon has a bunch of what I'm assuming are temporary sci fi names.

So you've got Spock crater, Macross chasma, and Gallifrey Macula.

edit: oh duh mordor macula is charon.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

nice

More like the constellation Tequila, am I right?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Hah! The fact that you, of all forumers, are the first other person I've heard of who read that book is somehow not surprising. It was a weird one, but the ideas certainly stick with you.

I was moderately concerned about the possibility of people in the future being able to see my actions for a while

sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, me too. But then I realized the odds of me doing anything interesting or embarrassing enough to end up on WormTube were arbitrarily small, given that they have all of humanity and history to spy on. This made me feel better, and then made me feel sad.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, me too. But then I realized the odds of me doing anything interesting or embarrassing enough to end up on WormTube were arbitrarily small, given that they have all of humanity and history to spy on. This made me feel better, and then made me feel sad.

Almost seems like a challenge.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Anything sounds cooler with the prefix Raptor Interplanetary

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Raptor Inter Planetary

RIP

In grungy Weyland Yutani type sci fi letting her RIP will be acceptable

• Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »

"Oh, crap, it's from the IRS. We're getting raptor interplanetary audited."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

If space dinosaurs want to come give my taxes the once over, I'm all for it.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    SpaceX is doing a livestream on their Mars plans in about six minutes here.

Also continuing with the whole "anyone doing neat space stuff needs trailer videos" theme from the last several years, they're showing off the basic mission profile for a Mars shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qo78R_yYFA

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    SpaceX is doing a livestream on their Mars plans in about six minutes here.

Also continuing with the whole "anyone doing neat space stuff needs trailer videos" theme from the last several years, they're showing off the basic mission profile for a Mars shot:

The stream of the presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1YxNYiyALg

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Gotta love pre-stream hold music.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Science thread I am doing my science assignment about a vacuum cannon (as it is my science dream) however I need to list the materials and I don't know the name of the board you stick behind things to measure speed. Seen at 16 seconds here.

Can anyone help me out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msgfm4DHiyc

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Elon Musk is our Tony Stark.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    Science thread I am doing my science assignment about a vacuum cannon (as it is my science dream) however I need to list the materials and I don't know the name of the board you stick behind things to measure speed. Seen at 16 seconds here.

Can anyone help me out?

I don't know if it has a name, it's almost always just referred to by the principle behind it.

"Speed Calibration Marker"?

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Babylonian Method of getting square roots:

FUCK all math requiring guessing, testing, and adjusting your test

burn that out of all possible educational material below college and keep the methods we do know that don't require that time-consuming boring shit

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    If a decaying orbit is a decrease in the distance between two orbiting objects, what is the term for an orbit where the objects are getting further apart, like how the moon is with the earth?

There must be some kind of term but for the life of me I just can't find it.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular

Can anyone help me out?

In photography those are called photo documentation rulers, photo rulers, or photo scales. I can't speak to video but maybe that'll point you in the right direction.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    No those are exactly it.

Thanks so much!

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    If a decaying orbit is a decrease in the distance between two orbiting objects, what is the term for an orbit where the objects are getting further apart, like how the moon is with the earth?

I don't really know of one either, other than to say there are different kind of "positive" distortions of orbits. Burning along the prograde vector will push your orbit out (changing eccentricity and period). Burning along a radial vector will change the shape of the orbit but leave the period the same. Burning along a transverse vector will change the plane of the orbit.

I think it's because all of those things can't really happen naturally very often? Orbital decay is a common thing due to atmosphere, and less commonly tidal forces or gravitational waves. On the other hand, pushing objects further apart requires adding kinetic energy to a system, which isn't very common unless something done blown up.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options

I don't really know of one either, other than to say there are different kind of "positive" distortions of orbits. Burning along the prograde vector will push your orbit out (changing eccentricity and period). Burning along a radial vector will change the shape of the orbit but leave the period the same. Burning along a transverse vector will change the plane of the orbit.

I think it's because all of those things can't really happen naturally very often? Orbital decay is a common thing due to atmosphere, and less commonly tidal forces or gravitational waves. On the other hand, pushing objects further apart requires adding kinetic energy to a system, which isn't very common unless something done blown up.

Wouldn't it be happening to most moons that have an orbital period longer than the rotational period of the planet they are orbiting? Or is the Earth/Moon relationship a relatively rare thing due to relative masses or proximity or some such?

• Options

It is just a very slow escape orbit.

• Options

It is just a very slow escape orbit.

Well in this case the moon will never escape its orbit of the earth. On a long enough timeline eventually the rotational period of the earth would match the orbital period of the moon and the moon's orbit would be locked into place there.

In theory at least, because all estimates puts the Sun engulfing both the Earth and the Moon long before that happens.

• Options

Wouldn't it be happening to most moons that have an orbital period longer than the rotational period of the planet they are orbiting? Or is the Earth/Moon relationship a relatively rare thing due to relative masses or proximity or some such?

I did forget about the moon moving away from us, yeah. Technically that's truly the opposite of decay - stabilizing, as that is slated to stop happening in 50 billion years and the Earth-Moon system becomes fully tidally locked. Mind you, this is 45 billion years after the Sun goes red giant and gobbles both up anyways.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
  • Options
    Yeah what he said.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    All this moon stuff is the result of the science class I am taking. We have to do observations of the moon. With the goal being, you know, figuring why what the moon goes through its phases. A large portion of the class doesn't know! And this is a science class to prep teachers to teach elementary students. This is of course, quite distressing to me.

But like, I already know why that happens so I've just been using my journal to explore why tidally locking happens and how lagrangian points work.

I bet there are other fun moon related topics to dig into!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Heffling wrote: »

Technically it'd be space birds, the SpaceX engine names are centered around birds of prey (Kestrel, Merlin, Raptor)

sig.png
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    But birds are dinosaurs who survived the end-Cretaceous extinction, primarily by being able to fly...

...wait, is that the reasoning behind the names?

• Options

Technically it'd be space birds, the SpaceX engine names are centered around birds of prey (Kestrel, Merlin, Raptor)

"Should we name our rockets after the only animals on earth known for plummeting out of the sky at a tremendous rate of speed and killing something?"

"Why, I don't see why not!"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    V6eqcNL.jpg

Mars, yo

• Options

"Should we name our rockets after the only animals on earth known for plummeting out of the sky at a tremendous rate of speed and killing something?"

"Why, I don't see why not!"

Doolittle Rocket sounds pretty good. I'd suggest Yeager Rockets, but I don't remember off the top of my head if he actually had any kills.

This discussion has been closed.