As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask Tube (G&T edition)

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    If someone sees you at PAX and says "Hey! Tube! It's me, [forum name]", how likely are you to recognize them?

If someone sees you at PAX, how would you prefer they approach you? If at all.

Why don't you have a staff pin? Have you claimed a different pin as your unofficial staff pin?

Psykoma on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Do you think that PA is moving further away from becoming an Echo Chamber or closer to it?

Do you think there is anything that can be done, along the same lines as the Glorious Edict, to combat an Echo Chamber problem in online communities?

ObiFett on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Psykoma wrote: »
    If someone sees you at PAX and says "Hey! Tube! It's me, [forum name]", how likely are you to recognize them?

By name probably, but then I'd insist on a first name. I won't call people by forum names in person. Remembering everyone's actual name and who they are on the forums is a lot trickier. Some people have gotten really offended that I didn't remember them and it's like "dude I meet 300 people a year at these things
    If someone sees you at PAX, how would you prefer they approach you? If at all.

Just come up and say hi and be cool. The only people I really hate talking to are the ones who want to show they're not impressed so act like a complete fucking jackass.
    Why don't you have a staff pin? Have you claimed a different pin as your unofficial staff pin?

Fuckin

You tell me

Real answer: it's harder to ensure that I'm at every show which is a requirement for a pin. I've recently started hitting every show (except Aus because fuck that plane trip) and I believe I'm in the next batch of pins. I have a feeling it's going to be a massive pain in the arse.

Last year I said to Khoo "yo Khoo am I getting a pin" and he said "depends, do you have the same favourite comic as Jamie?"

Too soon man. Too soon.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Damn, ice cold Khoo

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

...what was Jamie's favourite comic? D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tube I hope your pin is a hedgehog.

• Options
    I will tell you that it's something that annoyed Dabe a lot.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Pancakes, French Toast or Waffles?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Waffles

Tube on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oatmeal or cereal?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    What do you think of as a childhood game? I think of ps1 rpgs and N64 games. Stuff like Zelda:OoT and FF8. What about you?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    What game do you consider "formative" to your experience - ie something that touched you for the first time and showed you what games could be in the right hands?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Do you think that PA is moving further away from becoming an Echo Chamber or closer to it?

Do you think there is anything that can be done, along the same lines as the Glorious Edict, to combat an Echo Chamber problem in online communities?

Man, certain subforums have a serious echo chamber problem. I wish there was a way to pull people out of the vacuum.

You can see aspects of tribal culture spring up all over the forums but it's interesting to see which ones are open to differing ideas and which are not.

I wish there was a way to tell the percentage of posters who have made the majority of their posts within the past X days within only Y threads without melting the database into slag, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    If I'm permitted a second round:

How has the age distribution of the forum membership shifted over time? Are you seeing larger clusters at certain age groups now than five years ago, more outliers with extremely young or old members, etc.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Is Arch or Bugboy the greater traitor to their species?

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Man, certain subforums have a serious echo chamber problem. I wish there was a way to pull people out of the vacuum.

You can see aspects of tribal culture spring up all over the forums but it's interesting to see which ones are open to differing ideas and which are not.

I wish there was a way to tell the percentage of posters who have made the majority of their posts within the past X days within only Y threads without melting the database into slag, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

D&D is super echoy, like some of the threads there should have a carnival-style "You must be THIS woke to post here" sign on them.

SE seems ...cliquey? I mean, friendly enough but also like everyone in the threads there has known each other for years and there are in-jokes and social norms that I don't get.

I like G&T because no matter how bad your taste in games is, EVERYONE has at least one terrible guilty pleasure in their closet so nobody gets too judgemental. :)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

D&D is super echoy, like some of the threads there should have a carnival-style "You must be THIS woke to post here" sign on them.

SE seems ...cliquey? I mean, friendly enough but also like everyone in the threads there has known each other for years and there are in-jokes and social norms that I don't get.

I like G&T because no matter how bad your taste in games is, EVERYONE has at least one terrible guilty pleasure in their closet so nobody gets too judgemental. :)

I post in a lot of places here. It's amusing how every subforum has misconceptions about the other ones.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I do as well, except I don't agree that those are misconceptions at all, honestly

• Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    When I first started posting heavily after lurking for more time than I care to admit I felt SE++ was where I wanted to be but I didn't get the feedback I needed to feel my post was valid. Started to believe that maybe what I said wasn't valid so I eventually stopped posting there. Note that this was a long time ago. I found my niche and kinda stuck with it and really only branch out in a few other areas than G&T steam.
    That being said I think the merged holiday forum is kind of the greatest thing ever for getting shy folks out of their shell and having them interact with more folk. These forums are filled with amazing people.

All you have to do is look at help/advice and notice that every post even if it is a joke to lighten the mood is helpful and never condescending or hateful at all and some folks there ask very difficult questions and god love ya, you give difficult answers.

There are cliques in each subsection and anyone who says differently is entitled to their opinion but that's my opinion :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I honestly do not have a terribly high opinion on SE++. And this isn't some age old thing born out of deep seated, age old misconceptions that no longer exist. It's something that usually gets refreshed whenever I read enough posts in it.

Nice forum with great people, and I don't wish them an ounce of ill will. Just... nope. No thank you sir.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    Social Entropy is a nice place to visit but not live. I love the "bad" food thread, the other movie thread, the only book thread, nobody else has a fashion thread, spooky stuffs, and the fun games yall play.

Tube, how would you tell someone who joined PA today how to play eat poop you cat? (If don't wasn't an option)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I like Social Entropy more than I ever used to - I think the perception of every thread being cliquey or turning into complete chaos are overblown (or have simply gotten better). I found it to be far more inviting than I expected - I used to post solely in G&T Steam and Nintendo threads. However, the echo chamber stuff definitely is an issue in many areas of the boards. It completely pushed me away from the comic thread(s) over there...I'm interested in the questions on that topic as well.

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Tube, what was the inspiration or reason for our now annual holiday hangout?

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

The birth of our Lord Jesus Christ.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    What's your favorite recent book-to-movie adaptation?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Scratchy wrote: »
    That being said I think the merged holiday forum is kind of the greatest thing ever for getting shy folks out of their shell and having them interact with more folk. These forums are filled with amazing people.

and then we get gems like the Draw an AT-AT thread. Probably the most fun I've had on these forums... even if we didn't take it entirely seriously.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    What's your favorite recent book-to-movie adaptation?

I have no idea. I can't really think of one I've seen, and I'm not giving the prize to The Fault In Our Stars just because no one else showed up to the awards ceremony. Oh wait I guess I saw one of The Hunger Games movies, that was ok.

Ramius. It was a long time ago but it was the twin reasons of allowing us some time off and getting people to mingle a bit more. For a few years he actually shut the forums down entirely for three days.
    Scratchy wrote: »
    Social Entropy is a nice place to visit but not live. I love the "bad" food thread, the other movie thread, the only book thread, nobody else has a fashion thread, spooky stuffs, and the fun games yall play.

Tube, how would you tell someone who joined PA today how to play eat poop you cat? (If don't wasn't an option)

I unno I'd tell them it's a fun game. I don't really follow it to be honest, although I know it's good.
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    If I'm permitted a second round:

How has the age distribution of the forum membership shifted over time? Are you seeing larger clusters at certain age groups now than five years ago, more outliers with extremely young or old members, etc.

I think it's gotten older, which is good because my tolerance for the politics of teenagers has never been lower. Having been an obnoxious political person in my teens and early twenties and having inflicted that status upon the forum, I have no problem at all pulling that particular ladder up.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    What game do you consider "formative" to your experience - ie something that touched you for the first time and showed you what games could be in the right hands?

Maybe Zelda or FF8. They mark the first real storytelling I saw in games. Planescape Torment was another big one for that.
    furlion wrote: »
    What do you think of as a childhood game? I think of ps1 rpgs and N64 games. Stuff like Zelda:OoT and FF8. What about you?

Stuff like Repton and Rogue on the old BBC micro, and then console stuff like Sonic on the Master System.
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Oatmeal or cereal?

Oatmeal is food, cereal is candy.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Does the PA office have a snack bar? If so, what's the setup, and how is it paid for?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    No, it just has a huge selection of free snacks. Last time I was in the office Jerry was concerned that I would be overwhelmed by the selection so regularly came by and dumped a bunch of specially picked snacks that he assured me were "incomparably beast".

• Options
    Isn't free snacks pretty standard now though? At least in tech? I'm surprised there are companies with paid snack bars. The only time I've ever had that is at a broadcasting company that only had a paid canteen.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I love those kind of workplaces.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Have your years of moderating this forum taught you anything about human nature that you think you might not have known without doing it? If multiple things, which do you think is the most important?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Isn't free snacks pretty standard now though? At least in tech? I'm surprised there are companies with paid snack bars. The only time I've ever had that is at a broadcasting company that only had a paid canteen.

This guy, who works for a major North American telecomm company, can confirm that it's not standard. You pay for your own snacks, buddy, just like everyone else.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Was that you with the "more like CELDA" story? I remember that being highly amusing.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

This guy, who works for a major North American telecomm company, can confirm that it's not standard. You pay for your own snacks, buddy, just like everyone else.

Well, there is a difference between major and minor tech companies.

The staff at smaller tech companies like consulting firms are frequently incredibly pampered. Why? Because pampering builds up loyalty far more than higher wages ever will (since they already have enough money to live comfortably on half as much).

For major companies it's far less of a disaster if individuals with key competences leave, they have a whole HR department assigned to deal with those kind of issues and if things go sideways they can always hire consultants from one of those smaller firms to fill short term gaps.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    1. Did that new X game ever acheive greatness?

2. Did the introduction of reactions have a noticeable impact in post frequency / volume?
    2a. If so, how so?
    2a(1) Does the addition / removal of extra reactions cause a similar, if lesser, disturbance?

3. Thank you?

(I feel less inclined to post if a reaction sufficiently conveys my sentiment / opinion to the poster; the loss of imagined granularity shiny/lovely/witness afforded me has been making me want to use my words to communicate more often. So I ask as I'm curious if that's observable from on-high; provided my idiosyncrasies in this regard aren't too uncommon)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Was that you with the "more like CELDA" story? I remember that being highly amusing.

Remind me?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    What's your contingency plan in the event that Geth achieves full on consciousness?

Also, what's your favorite alcoholic drink (if you even drink)?

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

Remind me?

If it was you, from what I can remember, it went something like this: You had just broken up with your girlfriend and were out with friends at some party. Then she tried to call you and start talking to you but you were drunk. While she was trying to talk to you, you randomly said "more like CELDA" and hung up. She tried calling back a few times and this was repeated until the final time when a bunch of people at the party also yelled "more like CELDA!" in the background and she hung up crying.

Something along those lines.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Remind me?

If it was you, from what I can remember, it went something like this: You had just broken up with your girlfriend and were out with friends at some party. Then she tried to call you and start talking to you but you were drunk. While she was trying to talk to you, you randomly said "more like CELDA" and hung up. She tried calling back a few times and this was repeated until the final time when a bunch of people at the party also yelled "more like CELDA!" in the background and she hung up crying.

Something along those lines.

That's from the PA comics.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/10/11

This discussion has been closed.