As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wrestle[Phalla] - The Patriot Games. Finale: Astronautica Loco and the Klub win!

MatevMatev Cero MiedoRegistered User regular
edited August 2016 in Critical Failures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yQsPE7pzNo

“Welcome to Penny Ante Wrestling Patriot Games, sponsored by Cookie Crunch Charms! I’m Draculetta9000 with the Chav here at ringside!”

“F*#%in right mate, this here s^%$’s for real! Gettin’ ready to watch the lads f#%^ some s$#@ up proper. Go n’ get us a pint, wouldja love?”

“..........burn in Hell, Chav. Anyways, it’s time for our main event, the Patriot Games over the top battle royale. General Manager “Diamond Dog” Davis has scoured the country for the greatest wrestlers to vie for the Patriot’s Medal and a shot at the current 24/7 Title Champion, Jesse Davis, next month at Checkmate! Who will it be? Don’t touch that dial sweethearts, we’ll find out next!

What the hell is a Phalla, you ask?
What is Phalla?

Phalla is the Penny-Arcade Forums' version of the party game Mafia.

The Basic Rules

The "village" consists of all players in the game. Included in the village are a small number of bad guys, commonly known as the "mafia". Normally, the mafia members all know one another at the beginning of the game, but nobody else knows anything about anyone other than themselves.

Each day (normally a 24-hour period) the village discusses and publically votes for one person to be executed that night. At the same time, the bad guys choose one person to kill each night and PM the name to the narrator. In larger games, the bad guys might get two kills per night or other abilities to use.

The good side wins if all of the bad guys die. The bad side wins if the number of good guys is less than or equal to the number of bad guys (on the assumption that at that point, they control the vote plus get their kill, so it's inevitable). Large games generally take between a week and two weeks. Small games usually last a week or less.

Usually, there will be one or more "special" roles among the good guys (and occasionally among the bad guys). Exactly who holds each role is only known to that person, and it may not even be known which or how many specials will be in any given game.

Each night, the narrator gives the details of who died, and normally whether they were a bad guy. Some games also include clues or outright statements if someone who died was a good special.

Living players may not communicate regarding the game with dead players and vice versa, unless there is some specific mechanic in place to do so. In that case, communication normally goes through the narrator. If you are dead and the moderator allows a "goodbye" post, make sure it includes absolutely no information about the game, even if you think the information is obvious. If you receive a PM or see a post breaking this rule, notify the person running the game immediately.

You may not use any anonymous method of communication to discuss the game. Forum-based PMs, external IMs, e-mails and other message boards (like proboards) are allowed as long as the person you are talking to knows who you are. You may not use screencaps to "prove" anything to anyone. Do not speak in code.

Along similar lines, don't use the "Add to conversation" feature. Phalla requires a certain amount of uncertainty, and since adding a person to a conversation allows them to see the entire thread, it can serve as a form of verification along the same lines of screen captures. If you wish to communicate something from a PM/conversation to a new player, then start up a new conversation with that individual.

Play nice. It's okay to argue, but don't get too hostile. If it's getting to the point where you're asking other people to quit the game, you're going too far. We're all here to have fun, so take it easy and keep as level a head as possible. Respect others and they'll respect you.

Common Variations

Many larger games contain multiple groups of bad guys working at cross-purposes (a Mafia vs. Werewolves game). Other games may put all players into different factions with each faction’s goal of eliminating a certain subset of the other factions - there may or may not be a common Mafia-style faction that all groups will need to eliminate to achieve victory.

Additional voting or other mechanics can also be used. At least one game has included a council or single person elected every other night who is able to use a power publically. For example, one game had an elected council able to shift the execution vote to the second person. Another had an elected emperor able to choose a person to kill.

In a small game, the typical size for a group of bad guys is 15-20%; the player population, although an individual game may lean toward the high end, particularly if there is only one group of bad guys in a larger game.

Often, everyone gets a "flavor" role in the game. Bad guys and good specials usually get a normal "villager" role in addition to their special role. This keeps people from using their initial PM to verify someone else's role. The two most common ways to do this are to (a) use the exact same message to everyone, or (b) give everyone a unique villager role.

CAW-CAW Motherfuckers! (OR How I learned to stop worrying and how to Create A Wrestler)

While signing up, PM Creative (the host) the following information:

Name: What is your public moniker? This will be used during narrations. Examples include the plausible such as Jesse Davis or Dan Horton, to the fantasic such as Venus Galaxia or Dr. Skull
Entrance/Exit Music: Your music helps define your wrestler, and pumps the crowd up when you appear!
Gimmick: Gimmick is essentially your wrestler’s class, their style, what they bring to the ring. Your gimmick determines the special moves you will have access to during the game. The gimmicks are listed as follows:
Anti-Hero: While you do some dastardly things, the audience cheers you on cause you’re doing them to far worse people. For you, the rules are there for everyone who kow-tows to the Man, and you sure as hell don’t do that.
Athlete: You come from an actual athletic background. Whether an amateur wrestler or a prize fighter, you’ve come to the world of pro-wrestling to bank on your previous accolades.
Cultural Hero: You’ve transcended the medium of wrestling, be it through TV Shows, Comics, or public appearances, you have a loyal following that will follow you to the ends of the Earth.
Gatekeeper: The henchman, the muscle, you protect your charge in and out of the ring. In return you get prestige and a purpose. Maybe one day, you’ll be high enough on the card to rate your own Gatekeeper
Hardcore: Wrestling is a bloodsport, and you revel in the violence. You’ve made your bones in matches that would end lesser careers, and your fans love you for it.
Iconoclast:A little weird, a little different, you make an impression on anyone who sees you. Your charisma is uncanny, and you wield it with expertise.
Indy Darling: You’ve paid your dues at smaller promotions, but now you’ve hit the big time. Your fans have followed you and are eager to see you successful at the big show.
Jobber: The unsung hero of the promotion, you go out and make everyone else look like a million bucks. Maybe one day, you’ll finally get to strut your stuff…
Luchador: An import from Central America, you bring a flare of the exotic to the promotion. You’re known for an acrobatic style and a nigh-religious affinity for masks.
Monster: Big or small, you’re imposing and larger than life. You manhandle your opponents with the greatest of ease. Are you a supernatural monster? That’s for you to decide
Technician: You’re an expert as it pertains to “traditional wrestling”. You’ve got an affinity for suplexes and wicked submission holds.
Time Bomb: You’ve been at this game a long time, and it’s given you the experience necessary to survive in the squared circle. Whether you’re planning for a photo finish, or still got some gas in the tank, you’re ready to put on one hell of a show.
Wasted: Anyone who says wrestling isn’t about sex, drugs, and rock n’ roll hasn’t met you. You put yourself on the line night after night, and sometimes you put on a killer wrestling show too.

Face/Heel: Are you a good guy that the crowd loves you cheer for, do you play by the rules? Or are you a bad guy, do you live for boos and do anything to win? Good guys in wrestling are Faces (short for Babyfaces, as they used to be cleancut, babyfaced heroes). Bad guys are Heels, the Dick Dastardlies if you will. Decide which your wrestler is. You will gain an additional move based on your alignment.

How to Wrestlephalla

In addition to the vote, all wrestlers have access to the following moves:

Eliminate (Basic move): You attempt to throw, punch, or clothesline someone over the top rope to eliminate them from the match. You usually can't do this on your own. You have a 15% Chance of eliminating someone on your own. If multiple people attempt to eliminate the same person in a night, this chance stacks. For example, if three wrestlers use Eliminate on a target, the target has a 45% chance of being eliminated from the match.

Shoot Fight (Basic Move): You're out for blood, and you don't care who knows it. You have a 50% chance of injuring your opponent with this move. This is cumulative with other wrestlers shoot fighting the same target. For example, if two wrestlers use Shoot Fight on a target, the target has a 100% chance of being injured (but this chance can be reduced by other abilities). Every 100% of injuries a wrestler is attacked with in a night (Beyond what they’re defended with), they suffer 1 injury.This means that a wrestler can suffer multiple injuries in one night and be disqualified. If you eliminate someone via injury, there is 50% chance that management notices the injury was not accidental and you are removed from the match. If multiple wrestlers are responsible for disqualifying someone, one of them is chosen at random to be subjected to this check. Unless otherwise noted in your role PM, if you suffer 3 injuries, you cannot compete further and will be eliminated.

Defend (Basic Move): You resist going over the top rope and prevent others from injuring you, either through fighting back or clinging for dear life. Lowers the chance of someone eliminating or injuring you by 20%. You may target someone else with this move to stop them from going over the top or being hurt if someone attacks them.

You will get additional moves from your gimmick and Face/Heel alignment. Unless noted in your role PM, you may only use one active move per night.

In order to keep the match exciting and fresh, Creative requires the following of all wrestlers during each day of the match:

-Minimum 2 posts in the main thread
-A vote post (this counts towards the 2 post minimum)
-1 Move Order submitted to Creative via PM
-Please include Creative on all PMs and proboards related to this game.

If you are inactive, Creative will warn you via PM. If you are inactive 2 days in a row, or for 3 days over the course of the game, you will replaced or eliminated, depending on reserves.

Sign on the dotted line in lime for fame and fortune!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
Hail Hydra
Matev on

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

1. Grunt's Ghosts
    2. AustinP0027 - Maverick, Iconoclast/Face
    3. Chamberlain
    4. WACriminal
    5. Brody
    6. Locus
    7. Kime
    8. Gizzy
    9. Lostninja
    10. Megafrost
    11. discrider
    12. Cythraul
    13. MrTLicious - Xfire, Wasted/Heel
    14. Assuran
    15. M. D.
    16. Jaysonfour
    17. Preda
    18. Martoss
    19. Baidol
    20. Trust
    21. JusticeforPluto
    22. Phyphor
    23. mamawolf
    24. Green
    25. Shalmelo
    26. Egos
    27. Premium
    28. Obifett
    29. Auralynx - Dan Mentor, Iconoclast/Heel

Reserves
    1.SirFabulous
    5. ??? Character not unlocked ???

Narrations

Day 1: Ring the damn bell!
    Day 2: Discussion Chaired

Clarifications
    Thralls, Conversions, etc.?
    I’m afraid that’s a clarification denied Maggle!

Vote Close?
    10pm PST/1am EST

Ties?
    The fans loathe a no-contest, so creative generally just makes a big mess where both the people tied up and the person who did the tying (Either by adding or changing their vote) get knocked out of the match.

Order of Actions
    Vote > Klub Elimination > Defensive Moves > Offensive Moves > Shoot Fight Disqualifications > Other moves

Sample PM?
    Name: Dr. Skull
    Faction: General Roster
    Gimmick: Monster
    Moves: No rivals, only bodies(Passive): +50% to Eliminate, cannot defend. Breathstealer: Target player cannot use their moves the next day. Moves used against you take a -30%.
    Goal: Eliminate The Klub

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHH BRING THE PAIN!

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Can you smell what the SignUp! is cookin'?

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Oh yeah!

chamberlain on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I'm in. I'll PM you my shit later.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Brody

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Was I in an e-fed when I was in high school?

I was.

Was my experience there just preparation for this phalla?

That's how I'm going to tell the story.

Now who wants to form a stable with me?

Locus on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Just to clarify, am I PMing Creative, or Matev?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Just to clarify, am I PMing Creative, or Matev?

Matev. Creative is just the flavor term for host this game.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Looks like a lot of info in the OP. I'm sure it will be read sometime :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Okay

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    Determination.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ooh ooh i wanna play!

oh wait

I helped balance...

bugger.

• Options
    ooh ooh i wanna play!

oh wait

I helped balance...

bugger.

I've got plans for you, don't you worry!

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    ooh ooh i wanna play!

oh wait

I helped balance...

bugger.

I've got plans for you, don't you worry!

uh oh...

?

does it involve the spanish announce table?

I'd do the rafters, but i scared of heights....

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    I super don't have time for a phalla game but dang this sounds fun. Bookmarking at the very least!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Oh man coming off the last game these inactivity requirements are draconian!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Oh man coming off the last game these inactivity requirements are draconian!

PAW has a very demanding schedule. But if I can get this game running while working 10 hour days this week, least folks can do is drop in a couple posts a day.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    You might have to actually vote this time 38thDoe

• Options
    If the wrestler I just put together was real .. I'd suddenly become a fan of wrestling.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Is it a giant cat?

• Options
    It's not b/c ya know .. gotta keep my identity secret and all. But I'd be a fan of giant cat as well.

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Dear god yes!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular

"You gotta do the rock when he loses all the weight."

"Slimfast Rock, what did we call it?"

"The Pebble."

"The Pebble."

"Can you smell what the pebble is cooking?"

"Not much, and that's why he lost the weight."

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Absolutely.

I haven't looked yet, have you posted a link over in the wrestling thread onSE++?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I did earlier, it'll probably get buried under RAW posts.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    !sign up and I'll send info a bit later

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Is this going to be one of those games where we shouldn't be open about who our persona is?

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Depending on how I write the narration, it might matter, but it likely won't break the game if you play as your wrestler (and may in fact work to your benefit at some points)

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

Info will come a bit later when I have a solid idea.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular

• Options
    So.... anyone got any @lists to throw out? Management's starting to get listless.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Thanks but taking a break

• Options
    egos should play cause like yea

• Options
    i'm not allowed to play

• Options
    i'm not allowed to play

yea, that's sad. i'm going to try to play the next one too if i'm not too busy moving, would be awesome to play a game with you again!

• Options
    MartossMartoss Registered User regular
    Time to get ripped!