As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] Switch

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    But why

How is Uncharted different from, say, Castlevania

In the GBA days I might have agreed with you, same with a Metroid

Modern portable systems having a suspend mode negates all of that

When you can just suspend gameplay instantly, every game has "bite sized" gameplay

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Hopefully the font on the next Xenoblade will be readable

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I don't see why people believe their game design philosophies would change just from unifying their consoles

I doubt the expectations for a new Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing would change at all really just because you can play it on a TV

And conversely, they've been sticking former NES/SNES/N64 games (Star Fox, both N64 Zeldas) onto the 3DS and people seem to like the initiative? Like, I see people legit bummed out that they can't play LTTP on the go because they have an older 3DS. A game that was designed around a big TV in the first place

I've never bought into the whole "too big for portable" argument anyways, though, even for PSP/Vita. The problem wasn't that I didn't want to play Uncharted or Killzone on the go - the problem was that I didn't want to play Uncharted or Killzone with that control scheme, a problem I feel I can completely trust Nintendo to avoid

Platformers and most 2D games translate pretty well to portable. It's primarily 3D games that don't. I really don't want to play Uncharted or Killzone on the go, at least not in their current forms.

I'd argue 3D games don't usually translate well because of control issues first and foremost. Hell, we finally got a 2nd analog nub just recently.

rhylith on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    But why

How is Uncharted different from, say, Castlevania

In the GBA days I might have agreed with you, same with a Metroid

Modern portable systems having a suspend mode negates all of that

When you can just suspend gameplay instantly, every game has "bite sized" gameplay

It's... 3D. They're about as fundamentally different as games can get.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I'd be okay with only needing one piece of hardware to play Nintendo games, but other than that I'm not a big fan of the hybrid console/handheld idea.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I would much rather use a controller for a game like batman than any kind of handheld. all those button inputs are where a controller really shines over handhelds and KBAM

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I wasn't really talking about just the 3D aspect of it because that argument is just absurd. The success of Monster Hunter on portable kills it by itself

I was more referring to the old argument that console games had a certain "style" of gameplay that doesn't make them conducive to the portable format

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I wasn't really talking about just the 3D aspect of it because that argument is just absurd. The success of Monster Hunter on portable kills it by itself

I was more referring to the old argument that console style games had a certain "style" of gameplay that doesn't make them conducive to the portable format

I don't have the slightest interest in that franchise on portable because it's 3D and I'm not alone in that feeling.

You're also taking a generalized claim and trying to apply it in the absolute, which is something I've made very clear pretty much every time there's a discussion that I try to avoid dealing in. I never said or implied that all console games are incompatible with the portable format. Of course you can find examples where that's not the case--that's specifically WHY I don't like to deal in absolutes. It's too easy to try and avoid the actual discussion by cherry picking counterexamples. But I think there can be design philosphies that make certain things work better in one format or the other and that it is often ideal to develop a game with a specific platform in mind.

Clearly actual developers agree with me, seeing how often there will be a portable edition of a game that's been basically designed from the ground up for that system rather than just ported from the console.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

Clearly actual developers agree with me, seeing how often there will be a portable edition of a game that's been basically designed from the ground up for that system rather than just ported from the console.

I mean, that's not something they INTEND to do, really
    they kinda have to because of performance issues

trying to do a 1:1 port results in borderlands vita

• Options

That's sometimes a part of it to, I'd wager. But I'm talking stuff like Sonic Boom where they didn't just rebuild the console game, they made a better game.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

how was borderlands vita by the way

it seemed like a neat idea but I never actually tried it

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    If they are merging their portable and console product lines, they could just

release the games

If you don't think Mario 3D World NX would work on NX Portable, just play it on NX Home, and vice versa

• Options
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

release the games

If you don't think Mario 3D World NX would work on NX Portable, just play it on NX Home, and vice versa

But that's explicitly inferior to the current system where we got both 3D Land and 3D World

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

how was borderlands vita by the way

it seemed like a neat idea but I never actually tried it

Nnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooootttttttttttt goooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

release the games

Yeah I largely don't agree that games only work portable or home

But with the NX that doesn't matter, if you think it doesn't work on a tv then you can play it portable and someone else can still play it on tv!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Action games in general eventually gets uncomfortable on a portable. You have to hold a screen up to your face and maintain a good posture/grip and have the dexterity to press buttons quickly. Whereas on a console you can just chill on a couch and worry only about holding your controller. Hand cramps and bad posture slouching from trying to play monster hunter too long. More relaxed games like RPGs and puzzle games I can last longer on portable.

• Options
    3D Land and 3D World

The kinda lame prototype and the real, full product that the portable couldn't really handle

• Options

release the games

But with the NX that doesn't matter, if you think it doesn't work on a tv then you can play it portable and someone else can still play it on tv!

But what if I wanted a 3D Mario (for the sake of argument) to play on my vacation trip, but all they made was 3D World, whose level design and gameplay focus (multiplayer) isn't conducive to a small screen experience? Because we have separate systems, there is a product for me--3D Land. In your "ideal" world, there isn't one.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    3D Land and 3D World

The kinda lame prototype and the real, full product that the portable couldn't really handle

I mean, your opinion on how enjoyable the two games were does nothing to address my actual argument. I'm not saying anything about how much fun UnbreakableVow considers a specific game. Again, you're refusing to actually engage me on merit which kind of sucks.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

release the games

But what if I wanted a 3D Mario (for the sake of argument) to play on my vacation trip, but all they made was 3D World, whose level design and gameplay focus (multiplayer) isn't conducive to a small screen experience? Because we have separate systems, there is a product for me--3D Land. In your "ideal" world, there isn't one.

Multiplayer on the big screen (if you want that), single player on the go. No levels require other players

This isn't hard

3D World is the second best Mario game I've played and I've never once had even a player two

• Options
    3D Land and 3D World

I mean, your opinion on how enjoyable the two games were does nothing to address my actual argument. I'm not saying anything about how much fun UnbreakableVow considers a specific game. Again, you're refusing to actually engage me on merit which kind of sucks.

I was just taking an opportunity to shit on 3D Land *shrugs*

• Options

release the games

Multiplayer on the big screen (if you want that), single player on the go. No levels require other players

This isn't hard

3D World is the second best Mario game I've played and I've never once had even a player two

I don't give a shit about multiplayer--that was the least important part of my point. Level design is the big one. A big expansive 1080p environment designed for 40+ inch screens does not work well on a small screen you hold in front of your face.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

release the games

I mean

Basically I don't agree with this sentence

So I can't answer the question as asked

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    3D Land and 3D World

I was just taking an opportunity to shit on 3D Land *shrugs*

I enjoyed it. It wasn't really difficult (other than some of the late hidden world stages that suddenly jumped up into the frustratingly-restrictive form of difficulty), but it was a fun enough experience, I thought. With the caveat that I'm not a huge fan of 3D platformers in general, so my levels of distinction are probably a lot broader than many people's, I suppose.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I just don't want a portable system without two screens and a lid that closes with a satisfying click

But I'm all for the idea of being able pack the entire wiiu into the space of just the wiiu gamepad and take it anywhere (assuming it is comfortable to hold)

Wish they were making backwards/intercompatibility a priority though

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

release the games

I mean

Right, well if you're not bothered by all that stuff, sure, fine, but can you maybe accept that some people are? Like, I'm not just being crotchety--I legit find a lot of Wii U games nigh-unplayable on the gamepad by itself.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm just skeptical as hell that the control situation is going to be any good if it has to be small enough to be a component of a thing you're supposed to be able to take with you

It's either a huge goddamn handheld or it's really tiny controllers for a home system, all of which sounds less than ideal

• Options

release the games

I mean

Right, well if you're not bothered by all that stuff, sure, fine, but can you maybe accept that some people are? Like, I'm not just being crotchety--I legit find a lot of Wii U games nigh-unplayable on the gamepad by itself.

yes

but then you can play it on the tv because the NX has that flexibility

You can take a game you specifically find more suited to a smaller screen with you on a trip

this way nintendo doesn't really have to worry about it; they just put the game out and people can play it however they want

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm just skeptical as hell that the control situation is going to be any good if it has to be small enough to be a component of a thing you're supposed to be able to take with you

It's either a huge goddamn handheld or it's really tiny controllers for a home system, all of which sounds less than ideal

Honestly sounds like they're gonna take the wiimote/nunchuck approach with one part in each hand.

rhylith on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Honestly sounds like they're gonna take then wiimote/nunchuck approach with one part in each hand.

If that's the case, you might have to count me out again. Unless there's just some pro controller I can buy.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Honestly sounds like they're gonna take then wiimote/nunchuck approach with one part in each hand.

And imagine sticking those onto a 3DS
    And then trying to carry that with you anywhere

• Options

release the games

I mean

yes

You can take a game you specifically find more suited to a smaller screen with you on a trip

this way nintendo doesn't really have to worry about it; they just put the game out and people can play it however they want

But in the current system I have all the options for both because they make games specifically for both. This is specifically reducing my choice, not increasing it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    We'll have to see, could go either way.

Hopefully we find out sooner rather than later. When are gamescom/TGS again?

• Options
    We'll have to see, could go either way.

Hopefully we find out sooner rather than later. When are gamescom/TGS again?

I wouldn't necessarily expect anything out of a specific conference. Nintendo has been more and more making clear that they don't really care about big industry events--hell their showing at E3 this year was "fine, if you expect us to do this we will, but it's on OUR terms"--and would rather make their own news on their own time. I rather expect the first public announcement of this thing to be on a Direct that doesn't directly coincide with any larger-scale industry thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

release the games

I mean

yes

But in the current system I have all the options for both because they make games specifically for both. This is specifically reducing my choice, not increasing it.

dude I'm going to be honest I find that to be an absolutely incredibly bizarre way to look at it

you can now play all games nintendo makes either handheld or home console

that is not reducing your choice

• Options
    edited July 2016
    That may be true of games but I think a console would be a different story. They need to get that information out as wide as possible, and a direct limits their audience.

Edit: hmm apparently the new 3ds was a direct. I take it back.

rhylith on
  • Options

release the games

I mean

yes

dude I'm going to be honest I find that to be an absolutely incredibly bizarre way to look at it

Before they made two games, one that was designed for portable, and one that was designed for console. Now they will make one game that will likely work better in one format or the other. Before I could play two games, both ideal for the format they came for. Now I'm stuck with one and it might not be the one I really wanted.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

release the games

I mean

yes

Before they made two games, one that was designed for portable, and one that was designed for console. Now they will make one game that will likely work better in one format or the other. Before I could play two games, both ideal for the format they came for. Now I'm stuck with one and it might not be the one I really wanted.

why do you think they are going to halve game production

• Options

release the games

I mean

yes

why do you think they are going to halve game production

Because in your description of it, why would they make a Mario 3D Land and a Mario 3D World? Your argument was literally "they make one game and you play it on whatever". Which is where my argument of "that sometimes doesn't really work" comes from.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Broadly, I'm on board; I look to Nintendo to make Weird-Ass Consoles, and this fits the bill. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford whatever gaming setups I might want, so if Console A doesn't cut it, I can also buy Console B (and I'm primarily a PC gamer anyway).

Here's what I want to know, though: how does this console work for families?

Like, my wife and I both have 3DSes because we're both dorks and we both play our own games, and I prefer carts (because I'm an old-fashioned traditionalist) and she prefers digital downloads (because she's a minimalist). Cool. What happens when the NX eclipses the Wii U/3DS generation? Do we now have two NXes, with two TV-connectable base-stations? I mean, that's not a big deal, but it does seem a bit wasteful (since we need one base station at most).

But also, we're just two Grown-Ass Adults. What about families with multiple kids? Right now, you can have a Family Wii U in the living room, and that's what everyone plays. What happens when little Susie decides to take the family NX to play on the bus ride to school, and little Johnny stays home because he's sick? Now he can't play the family NX, because it ain't there. Does every member of the family now need to have their own NX?

I'm not even preemptively condemning Nintendo or anything. I just genuinely want to know what they envision the model to be, because they've made it clear in previous generations that communal playing of the family console was an Important Thing for them. What does that look like for the next generation?

This discussion has been closed.