As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] Switch

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    on the plus side, I can always spend $150+ to repair my Wii U so I can play the new Zelda

this is the first nintendo console that I didn't wish I had day one

(not because I have anything against the NX, but because my Wii U was such a piece of crap that I won't buy a nintendo console until I hear a plethora of reviews saying the damn thing lasts longer than half a year!)

You have plenty of reviews saying that about the Wii U. You have pretty much everyone with a Wii U who's saying that. We've said it before, you got a lemon. Which sucks, but it is NOT representative of the product as a whole.

I've also had 4 Wii's die on me (ok, 3 were mine and one my girlfriends)

In fact, it's been the disc drive on every single Nintendo console failure I've had

(before anyone suggests it, I've never had a DVD player/Bluray Player/CD player/PS drive go bad on me!)

well good news

this doesn't have a disc drive

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    actually I wonder how much a nx will cost

$400 seems reasonable for a console, but I probably wouldn't pay more than $250 for a handheld

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    on the plus side, I can always spend $150+ to repair my Wii U so I can play the new Zelda

(not because I have anything against the NX, but because my Wii U was such a piece of crap that I won't buy a nintendo console until I hear a plethora of reviews saying the damn thing lasts longer than half a year!)

You have plenty of reviews saying that about the Wii U. You have pretty much everyone with a Wii U who's saying that. We've said it before, you got a lemon. Which sucks, but it is NOT representative of the product as a whole.

In fact, it's been the disc drive on every single Nintendo console failure I've had

(before anyone suggests it, I've never had a DVD player/Bluray Player/CD player/PS drive go bad on me!)

well good news

that's actually really comforting

my NES and SNES both still work!

well, I assume my NES works, it's not plugged in. but it worked last time I used it!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Well, disc drives are the most common point of failure on most modern consoles (PS1 was especially bad for this) so that's not entirely unsurprising that that's what failed. That failure rate is absolutely not typical though. You wouldn't have ever found anyone warning you about that happening because that didn't happen to most people.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

$400 seems reasonable for a console, but I probably wouldn't pay more than $250 for a handheld

I'm gonna guess like 300-350

More than a handheld but cheap for a console since it does both

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Well, disc drives are the most common point of failure on most modern consoles (PS1 was especially bad for this) so that's not entirely unsurprising that that's what failed. That failure rate is absolutely not typical though. You wouldn't have ever found anyone warning you about that happening because that didn't happen to most people.

could be I'm as lucky with consoles as I am at mexican restaurants!

• Options
    edited July 2016

I'm gonna guess like 300-350

More than a handheld but cheap for a console since it does both

hmm thinking about it

I'd probably pay $300 for a portable device that lets me play stardew valley, especially if it let me play zelda wildlands on tv

Brolo on
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular

well good news

This is the best part about this leak. My only problems with Nintendo's hardware has been disc drives. My Gamecube's spinny motor mostly failed but it still worked if you manually spun the disc and quickly closed the lid and my Wii's disc drive read the discs fine but made a horrible buzzing noise while doing so. It's one of the reasons I've gone mostly digital with the Wii U.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular

The Wii U is $300 (the Deluxe launch edition was $350), the 3DS is $120-$170

I doubt they launch above $350, I'd guess $250-$300 depending on how capable it is.

• Options
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

I doubt they launch above $350, I'd guess $250-$300 depending on how capable it is.

Launch 3DS was $250

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    This sounds exactly like what I thought it would be. Portable that docks to turn into a console.

Definitely interested. I like the idea of playing Animal Crossing on my TV, then just taking that with me somewhere else.

• Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular

Launch 3DS was $250

For about six months.

brig_banner.png
  • Options
    MrPsycohed wrote: »

Launch 3DS was $250

For about six months.

Yes, which is why I said "launch". You know the pricing window that's relevant to a discussion about launch prices.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I need to see this before I understand it. some initial thoughts are: it sounds expensive for a handheld, which is very bad as handhelds have always been significantly cheaper, how are they going to deal with the resolution disparity of the handheld screen scaling up to a TV, and how big is this thing exactly because it sounds big.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Honestly, this sounds like Nintendo trying to get me back.

The guy who loved Nintendo right up through the GameCube and then fell off a cliff. The guy who doesn't care about or actively dislikes motion controls and second screens and 3D and having to wait and see if I'll get a console version of X franchise this go-round. Who doesn't want to buy the same game on 4 different storefronts anymore. Who primarily plays on a TV but would like relative portability without buying a second device.

I don't anticipate third parties coming back to this thing. If they do it'll be a nice surprise, but anyone thinking "no really this time" hasn't been paying attention.

They've definitely got my interest, if this rumor turns out to be true. If the price is reasonable for the power level, I'm totally in.

Ceno on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Honestly then taking about sacrificing power for portability makes me think that this is gonna be a step up from the 3DS but not necessarily a step up from the Wii u

They need to step up 2 the streets

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »

The guy who loved Nintendo right up through the GameCube and then fell off a cliff. The guy who doesn't care about or actively dislikes motion controls and second screens and 3D and having to wait and see if I'll get a console version of X franchise this go-round. Who doesn't want to buy the same game on 4 different storefronts anymore. Who primarily plays on a TV but would like relative portability without buying a second device.

I don't anticipate third parties coming back to this thing. If they do it'll be a nice surprise, but anyone thinking "no really this time" hasn't been paying attention.

They've definitely got my interest, if this rumor turns out to be true. If the price is reasonable for the power level, I'm totally in.

It comes just at the right time for me

I was very likely to miss out on both machines next go around as either one doesn't have enough time games to justify it

But combine both and I'm all in

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

It comes just at the right time for me

I was very likely to miss out on both machines next go around as either one doesn't have enough time games to justify it

But combine both and I'm all in

This is the big thing. Nintendo has significant development capacity - they can absolutely support a single system by themselves.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Honestly I am totally fine if the NX isn't that much more powerful than the Wii U

Like, that is a bad move if they want any sort of third party support but the cartridge thing seems to point towards that being a hell no

Nintendo can make some Wii U games look just as good as the best of the PS4 because they know how to use their art assets and styles in incredibly effective ways so as long as they keep doing that I am cool

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    If they launch this thing at home console prices, and this is their only portable, that's one hell of a gamble. I don't see enough parents buying it as a gift at those prices. Maybe they can sell it as being the home console too, but if there's already a home console in the house, that might not be very persuasive.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    What has me curious is that Sonic 2017, a PS4/XB1 game is being ported to NX. So are they making a different version for it, or is there actual parity? The mind boggles.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    If they launch this thing at home console prices, and this is their only portable, that's one hell of a gamble. I don't see enough parents buying it as a gift at those prices. Maybe they can sell it as being the home console too, but if there's already a home console in the house, that might not be very persuasive.

that makes me wonder what multiplayer looks like

• Options
    Ashcroft wrote: »

that makes me wonder what multiplayer looks like

Hmm, this is a good point. Couch multiplayer has always been really important to Nintendo (specifically to Iwata, but everything they've said since he passed has indicated they want to continue to embrace his vision).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Zython wrote: »
    What has me curious is that Sonic 2017, a PS4/XB1 game is being ported to NX. So are they making a different version for it, or is there actual parity? The mind boggles.

I can see at least PS3/360 parity. Well, Moore's law may allow for something past that, especially if they can land a sweetheart deal with NVidea.

• Options
    The guy who doesn't care about or actively dislikes motion controls

I've got bad news, this thing will 100% have motion controls

I will be shocked if it doesn't

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Everything about the NX sounds rad rad rad

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I mean odds are like all nx rumors this is false so I wouldnt worry about it too much.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

I mean odds are like all nx rumors this is false so I wouldnt worry about it too much.

Okay, this is specifically NOT a rumor. Sega officially announced the game for PS4, XB1 and NX.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Pricing seems tricky. $250 for the portable and $100-150 for the dock? Thinking in USD because I'll be fucked if I ever buy another region locked Ninty handheld again!

I'm way into the idea though, a tablet form factor makes a lot of sense and being able to dock when I'm at home is super compelling.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options

Okay, this is specifically NOT a rumor. Sega officially announced the game for PS4, XB1 and NX.

I think he meant the Eurogamer article. But we can more or less assume SEGA has a dev kit...

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Eurogamer are a very reliable site and would not post an article containing this level of detail with this level of certainty if their sources were not trustworthy.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it can't be a tablet can it. that would make the NX just a wiiu with a detachable tablet, I would think nintendo wants to get away from the wiiu.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I can see at least PS3/360 parity. Well, Moore's law may allow for something past that, especially if they can land a sweetheart deal with NVidea.

But there is no PS3/360 version of that game.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Shen wrote: »
    Pricing seems tricky. $250 for the portable and $100-150 for the dock? Thinking in USD because I'll be fucked if I ever buy another region locked Ninty handheld again!

I'm way into the idea though, a tablet form factor makes a lot of sense and being able to dock when I'm at home is super compelling.

If the dock is just a thing that pumps out the NX signal to the TV that's a crazy amount of money for it

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah like

If you want to call it a rumor still that is fine and applicable

But it is a rumor with loads of credibility behind it being backed up by other sites that also have a pretty solid track record when it comes to reporting legitimate scoops and not just random rumors based on nothing substantial

Chances are it is legit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Still holding out for actual, live cassowary.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    If it were Tricky Scoops or Professor Walker breaking this I'd be more excited I think.

Actually, who did break this? Maybe they're GB's new hire getting out ahead of the curve!

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Everything about the NX sounds rad rad rad

Vow hop on this excitement train

I got you a conductor hat and one of those wooden train whistles

• Options
    as it turns out the NX is just a desktop pc running nintendoOS

they don't even sell it pre-packaged, they just give you a link to newegg and tell you to build it yourself out of parts

"you can buy the games through steam" says Reggie" Fils-Aimé, president and chief operating officer of Nintendo of America, "I don't know why, I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time"

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    it can't be a tablet can it. that would make the NX just a wiiu with a detachable tablet, I would think nintendo wants to get away from the wiiu.

Staying away from the Wii branding is pretty much all they need to do in that regard

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    Twitter/Tumblr
This discussion has been closed.