As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Voltage] Chapter 1, Act 1: Bugging Out!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Uncertain as to where the Bug-types were approaching from, Nadare called Haibi back, and returned to the rest of the impromptu group.

And we are off, on a collection of failed off stat rolls.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Hmmm... Might borrow a page from Dungeon World and have 6 or less be an all out fail and 7-9 be success but at a cost. Or lower what counts as a "Normal" success. But you do get to add your PKMN stats to your roll. So for Endless_Serpents, you have a +1 to Networking, which means you would would have rolled 2d6+1. Not that that +1 would have allowed you to bet this woman's Networking roll but for future reference.

The old woman laughed. "Bug Swarms? And you are going to "talk" to their leader? Do you hear yourself, kid? Stop playing around out here and stay out of our way!" The woman takes her basket back from Arkose and walks away.

Yuto grabs a branch of the tree and pulls himself up. But the branch isn't able to hold his weight and Yuto falls flat on his butt. Kaz starts laughing from his perch.

I'm going to let @Kirindal try something before moving this along.

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Kana looked to Arkose for a second before she followed the old woman as she spoke up. "Please forgive my companion, elder. He is young and his concern for your trees and their bounty outweighed his need for propriety. No doubt, you have your own defenders to help protect the trees from potential ravaging by wild Pokemon." She kept a careful step back, mindful to let the old woman walk first.

"However, Ranger Takumi was concerned for the safety of Whitecreek Grove and wished to honor the long-held agreement between our villages by sending Ranger Nadare..." Kana gestured to Nadare "...And the rest of us to assist you in whichever way you need. Slate Village has long relied on your berries in the past and a swarm of hungry wild Bug Pokemon would endanger that." Kana hoped that was enough to smooth over any ruffled feathers with some flattery with the old woman.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Kumo lands at Arkose's feet with a mighty quack. Folks never listen to sense until it's too late. They've forgotten much.

Arkose, sullen, watches Kana talk to the old woman for a moment longer, then turns to his companion. "See anything?"

She shrugged, Can't see anything from up top, and there isn't anything on the horizon. Beware though, they're as likely to come from beneath the ground as from anywhere...

Now that, thought Arkose, was the most forbidding thing he'd ever heard!

Embarrassed by the old woman's words the "wandering scholar" and his farfetch'd quietly slide off to talk to some of the friendlier pickers.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    @Kirindal give me a Networking check.

Geth roll 2d6 for Kids These Days

Kids These Days:
    2d6 7 [2d6=6, 1]

• Options
    Geth roll 2d6 for Playing Nice

Playing Nice:
    2d6 5 [2d6=3, 2]

• Options
    The old lady gives Kana a harsh look. "Look kids, quit wasting our times here, trying to scare up these workers. Go play elsewhere. Like home where you should be doing your chores."

At this point, the air is filled with screams. Looking towards the far end of the grove, you can see a group of workers running from that direction. Behind them is a small group of Caterpies and Weedles, which start to climb the trees. The old lady looks over at the group. "You said you are here to deal with something dangerous, well, DEAL WITH THEM!"

https://youtu.be/2Jmty_NiaXc

There are three Caterpies and three Weedles in this little group you see. The Caterpies have a Speed of 2 and the Weedles have a Speed of 1. So that means that Yuto and Kaz, and Kana and Yuuto (both at Speed 4) go first. You can pick who between you two want to go.

Combat Stat Block
    Kaz- Stamina 12/12 Energy 10/10
    Yuuto- Stamina 10/10 Energy 8/8
    Haibisukasu- Stamina 10/10 Energy 10/10
    Kumo- Stamina 10/10 Energy 8/8
    Caterpie 1- Stamina 8/8 Energy 7/7
    Caterpie 2- Stamina 8/8 Energy 7/7
    Caterpie 3- Stamina 8/8 Energy 7/7
    Weedle 1- Stamina 7/7 Energy 8/8
    Weedle 2- Stamina 7/7 Energy 8/8
    Weedle 3- Stamina 7/7 Energy 8/8

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    When the screams sounded, Yuto and Kaz gave each other a knowing look. One of the benefits of having a psychic Pokemon was that it passively picked up how you would react to situations faster. So in that moment Kaz knew what Yuto would do and they both rushed to the oncoming swarm, arriving first of the trainer group.

"Strike first, no hesitation." It wasn't really an order, more of a code word of sorts for Yuto to indicate to Kaz that hitting hard is their opening strategy.

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Psychic Blades (target Caterpie 1)

Taking a stab in the dark around combat formatting here so can fix if needed.

Psychic Blades - Energy cost 4 Damage 5

Psychic Blades (target Caterpie 1):
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=3, 1]

• Options
    Kana looked down at Yuuto who was already leaning back on his haunches, whiskers quivering at the sight of the crawling bugs as it grunted once and then again. "Easy, Yuuto." Kana spoke soothingly as she looked back at the crawling Caterpies and Weedles. They had only practiced a few times before this, Yuuto had only managed to defeat a particularly threatening log of wood and the occasional Ratatta who wandered their way. "Remember, we've trained for this. Stay low and fast, they can't keep up with your footwork."

Kana looked to Yuto, "I'll have Yuuto go for that closest climbing Weedle, who do you want to take?"

• Options
    edited August 2016
    The Caterpie looks up from its munching, surprised at the incoming attack. It drops from the tree it was on and Kaz's attack fly harmlessly over the Pokemon.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Caterpie Defense

Combat Stat Block
    Kaz- Stamina 12/12 Energy 6/10
    Haibisukasu- Stamina 10/10 Energy 10/10
    Kumo- Stamina 10/10 Energy 8/8
    Caterpie 1- Stamina 8/8 Energy 7/7

Caterpie Defense:
    2d6+3 12 [2d6=6, 3]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    "Sword Dance, Kumo! We need your attacks to count." the Farfetch'd was surprised to be given a direct order at all, but in the heat of the moment she saw sense in it, "After you're pumped up, take on the weedles, they're the only threat to life."

Geth, roll 2d6 for Sword Dance

"Meanwhile- because I must be crazy- I'm going to try something!" Arkose yells as he grabs an empty basket and races over to a caterpie busy munching on a lower branch without a care in the world.

Geth roll 2d6 for Trap him in a basket (target Caterpie 2)

Sword Dance - Energy cost 3, +2 Phyiscal Attack

Edit: I can't see any rules on it but I've been thinking about it since we started, do status moves run without a stat modifier? It's fine if they do, just wondering.

Sword Dance:
    2d6 3 [2d6=2, 1]
    Trap him in a basket (target Caterpie 2):
    2d6 11 [2d6=5, 6]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Status moves like Sword Dance won't need roles since what's challenging/opposing them? The only person I think that might have a status move that requires a roll would be Kirindal's Sharp Eyes/Glare and I'm thinking that's kinda a Special Attack?

While Kumo danced to build up the momentum of the battle, The Caterpie looked up to see a basket coming down on him. It can't react fast enough and instead is caught in the basket!

Geth roll 2d6+1 for Move Out Da Way (Run)

Move Out Da Way (Run):
    2d6+1 6 [2d6=2, 3]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Am I still waiting for Kirindal to submit his action?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Suppose to be, but really, everyone moves before the Bugs do so you can go ahead.

• Options
    Hearing the screams, Nadare turned around, expecting to see the worst, to be confronted with a gaggle of larval Bug-types. Sure, there were a lot of them. But running in terror from a Caterpie? Looking down as Haibi nudges his hand, Nadare smiles and gives her a thumbs up.

"Give one of those Weedles some of your claws, girl!"

With an answering growl, Haibisukasu charged for the nearest weedle.

Geth roll 2d6+4 for Metal Claw (Energy 3/Damage 3/STAB) against Weedle 3

Metal Claw (Energy 3/Damage 3/STAB) against Weedle 3:
    2d6+4 9 [2d6=4, 1]

• Options
    edited August 2016
    STAB give you a +1 bonus to your action, so you rolled a 10.

Haibi tries to claw down one of the Weedles but the little bug was much too fast and jumped up the berry tree just out of reach.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Defense

Defense:
    2d6+3 11 [2d6=2, 6]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Whiffing repeatedly in the first battle. This is going to be an interesting run

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Realizing quickly that she was talking to herself, Kana turned to Yuuto. "Drive the Weedles away from the trees, Yuuto!" She pointed at the closest tree and the diminutive little Pokemon sped off with a grunt before lunging at one of the Weedles making their way up the trunk.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Basic Attack [Damage 1] against Weedle 1

Basic Attack [Damage 1] against Weedle 1:
    2d6+3 13 [2d6=5, 5]

Kirindal on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Yuuto tried to grab the Weedle, but instead only got air. The Weedle made a noise that one might call laughing.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Defense.

WHAT?

Defense:
    2d6+3 15 [2d6=6, 6]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The Caterpie that Kaz tried to attack rushes forward to tackle the Abra.

Caterpie 1- Tackle Physical/Normal (Energy 2, Damage 2)
    Geth roll 2d6+3 vs. Kaz's Defense

Combat Stat Block
    Haibisukasu- Stamina 10/10 Energy 7/10
    Kumo- Stamina 10/10 Energy 5/8
    Caterpie 1- Stamina 8/8 Energy 6/7

vs. Kaz's Defense:
    2d6+3 7 [2d6=1, 3]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    So far Arkose is the most effective combatant, and I can appreciate that. Let's see what they can do in return!

• Options
    The best part is that I didn't even do the fighting Trainer updates I was thinking about and already a trainer is the best combatant in the whole bunch!

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Kaz's attack failure dampened the Pokemon's spirits a bit. Yuto felt the same way. Perhaps they had been a little overconfident in their attack, and it was a little demoralizing to see it fail. They had little time to dwell on it, as the Caterpie returned attack on Kaz. The Abra dodged to the side, the Caterpie's attack just missing, the attack coming close enough that Kaz felt the rush of air pass just by it's side.

The entire group had joined the attack now, and Yuto paused to answer Kana. "Sorry, got a little ahead of myself there. Should we just go after the Weedles?"

Sorry @Kirindal, posted my attack before I saw yours and didn't want to jump right in again to answer before the others got a chance to post.

Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Defend

Defend:
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=5, 2]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    "It's fine." Kana surveyed the trees. So far they hadn't managed to make a dent in the bugs' attack, but the battle was still young. "Nadare's making headway with the Caterpies so we should focus on the Weedles."

No worries about that, @AustinP0027.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Arkose feels pretty good with himself, having caught a Caterpie in the basket. However, he soon feels the Pokemon pushing violently against him, trying to break free.

Geth roll 2d6+2 for Basket Case

Basket Case:
    2d6+2 6 [2d6=3, 1]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Pressing all his weight on the basket, the lad hopes for the best!

Geth roll 2d6 for Holding it down

Holding it:
    2d6 7 [2d6=1, 6]

• Options
    Pokemon trainer still best pokemon.

• Options
    One of the Caterpies, seeing his friend trapped in a basket, tries to push Arkose off the basket.

I think for Pokemon vs. Trainer, I'm just going to use the Assist Power. Since this is less of an attack and more of push Arkose off the basket.

Geth roll 2d6+2 for Push Trainer

Push Trainer:
    2d6+2 13 [2d6=6, 5]

• Options
    I never really did figure out how assists are supposed to work.

• Options
    They are basically skills. Power is Strength, Intuit is Intelligence, Run is for running away or catching down stuff, then some of the HMs like Flying, Swimming, Cut, Flash, ect, get to be Assist.

• Options
    Hm... I'm not sure how the game handles this situation. Can Kumo intervene? Or is she stuck until next turn? I'm going for that. I'll change the post if need be.

Arkose braces himself, kicking out a free leg in the general direction of the oncoming Caterpie while keeping their pal pinned in place.

Geth roll 2d6 to Brace against Caterpie

Her fighting spirit ablaze from the dance, Kumo lifts off and flaps her strong wings to produce a powerful gust!

Geth roll 2d6+1 to Blow it away

So what I'm doing there is 2d6 + her Gust 1 assist. I don't expect to often move pokemon with it, but I'm making an exception here.

to Brace against Caterpie:
    2d6 4 [2d6=2, 2]
    to Blow it away:
    2d6+1 8 [2d6=5, 2]

• Options
    The Caterpie slams into Arkose, pushing the trainer off the basket. As the Caterpie from under the basket pushes his way free, a strong gust of wind from Kumo blows the two Caterpies away from Arkose.

The Laughing Weedle hops down from the tree, firing off a green string to cover Yuuto.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Poison String.

Poison String (Physical/Poison)
    Energy 3 Damage 2
    Effect: If the Attacking Pokemon's Action Roll is +5 over the Defending Pokemon's Defending Roll, the Defending Pokemon is Poisoned (lose 1 stamina at the start of their turn).

Poison String:
    2d6+3 9 [2d6=3, 3]

• Options
    Arkose tumbles away and stumbles to his feet. After spitting out a leaf, he gets his bearings, "Great timing buddy! With those two troublemakers blasting off let's move on to the weedles!"

Kumo winks, and lands by his side. She's got this, she's sure of it!

• Options
    "Yuuto, get out of the way!" Kana glared at her newfound nemesis, the Weedle with mockery on its face as she called out to Yuuto. "Light and easy on your feet! Just like we practiced!"

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Defending against Poison String

Defending against Poison String:
    2d6+3 8 [2d6=3, 2]

• Options
    The poisonous string lands on Yuuto, but not enough to poison the Pokemon. The Nidoran♂'s skin burns slightly from the strings, though.

One of the Weedles who so far as been left alone decides to join the fight, firing off his own Poison String at Kaz, hoping to take down the teleporting Pokemon quickly.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Poison String on Kaz.

Combat Stat Block
    Yuuto- Stamina 8/10 Energy 8/8
    Haibisukasu- Stamina 10/10 Energy 7/10
    Kumo- Stamina 10/10 Energy 5/8
    Caterpie 1- Stamina 8/8 Energy 5/7
    Weedle 1- Stamina 7/7 Energy 5/8
    Weedle 2- Stamina 7/7 Energy 5/8

Poison String:
    2d6+3 14 [2d6=5, 6]

• Options
    Kaz and Yuto were trying to keep track of all the moving enemies, which left them open to another attack by a Weedle that they had misplaced. "Kaz, look out!" Yuto yelled as the Weedle attacked. The Abra tried to dodge as quickly as it could.

Geth, roll 2d6+3 for Defending

Defending:
    2d6+3 12 [2d6=6, 3]

• Options
    Posting now as I'll be unable to later, deal with this when you please if there are more bug attacks to come.

Kumo kicks up clouds of dust as she races to help Kaz!

Arkose jogs on behind her, "Hey! Don't overdo it, okay?"

Geth roll 2d6+5 for Brave Bird against Weedle 1

Brave Bird against Weedle 1:
    2d6+5 11 [2d6=5, 1]

• Options
    edited August 2016
    The Weedle that Haibisukasu tried to hit leaps up and slams it's body against the Ryhorn.

Basic Attack (1 Damage)
    Geth roll 2d6+2 against Haibisukasu's Defense

The Weedle looks up to see Kumo speeding towards her. The bug Pokemon leaps out of the way just in time.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Weedle Defense

against Haibisukasu's Defense:
    2d6+2 13 [2d6=6, 5]
    Weedle Defense:
    2d6+3 13 [2d6=4, 6]

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for Defense

Defense:
    2d6+3 10 [2d6=2, 5]