As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Steven's Universe, We All Just Live in It

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Even though this wasn't the strongest ep, "I can't believe my stepdad is a sword!" and Bloodstone were killer jokes.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Pearl scores a rare MVP for this one for the perfect, sincere delivery of
    That was really good

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    This episode takes just about the only workable route to an enjoyable Ronaldo episode.

Shared annoyance.

To be honest, this is the first episode of this show that I.... really did not like. At all. It was kind of horrid. What they're doing with Ronaldo has gotten really old hat for me.

Like, with Lars, there's at least been a smidgeon of growth with the stuff he's picked up from his accidental crazy adventures around Steven. Like, it isn't much but at least he's shown that he understands that he has problems and that he wants to be better.

Ronaldo hasn't really changed at all. He just continues to be awful and oblivious to how awful he is. And that kind of cringe comedy doesn't really entertain me. It just makes me uncomfortable.

He does grow a bit, at least in how he views the gems, but I like that he isn't growing much as a person. It's just one more addition to the diversity of characters on the show.

He's self centered and wants to be the center of attention. He'll probably always be like that. Sometimes people are just gonna be awful, there's no changing it, and Steven dealt with it pretty well.

That said I agree it's probably not making it on to anyone's top ten.

• Options
    Pearl scores a rare MVP for this one for the perfect, sincere delivery of
    That was really good

She also had one of my favorite faces to date.
    wkF6UQO.png?1

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That shot felt like it was begging to be meme'd.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Enlong wrote: »
    Hm. See, I thought this was the episode where he showed the most potential for change that he has thus far. Granted, it took the end of the episode for him to make a step in the right direction (aside from the refreshingly quick realization that he was being racist, and the retraction of that), but that's more than some of his other episodes.

Actually, the episode where he showed the most potential for change was Keep Beach City Weird, where he was made to face the reality of how pointless his blog was because the gems were responsible for literally everything he'd been reporting on, which made him all depressed.

But Steven sabotaged that chance at growth out of pity by feeding into his conspiracy theories; a move both Steven and Peedee suspected was maybe not the best idea by the end of the episode.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    awww, there was a line that was so close to
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJN5dEOzM2A

It Could've Been Great

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    huh, just noticed rewatching Storm in the Room
    4RS5XVm.jpg

Connie takes a minute

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Are we going back on hiatus after this next episode?

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Are we going back on hiatus after this next episode?

Tiger Philanthropist is still listed for next week, though after that there's nothing.

Ah, wait that's what you meant. So yeah I think so?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I'm in love with Ronaldo, but I feel like certain writers have it out for him. He's a good guy.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Not really...?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Not really...?

I can understand that point of view, but part of what drew me into this show was the idea that everybody had some good in them. Even characters who are more abrasive are portrayed to have redeeming qualities. Like how Lars cares about Sadie, wants to be loved deep down, joe Buck loves his dad, or how Ronaldo even with all of his ego problems really wants to help out Steven and make something of himself. Even Jasper cared about PD, the only real exception is Kevin, but that's a whole other rant entirely.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Not really...?

I can understand that point of view, but part of what drew me into this show was the idea that everybody had some good in them. Even characters who are more abrasive are portrayed to have redeeming qualities. Like how Lars cares about Sadie, wants to be loved deep down, joe Buck loves his dad, or how Ronaldo even with all of his ego problems really wants to help out Steven and make something of himself. Even Jasper cared about PD, the only real exception is Kevin, but that's a whole other rant entirely.

I don't think anyone believes Ronaldo has no good inside of him. He's clearly well intentioned for the most part. We have a good example of that in the start of this last episode when he talks to Steven about gems.

But that stuff all takes a backseat to his desire to be the center of attention. He wants to help the gems but only so long as he's seen and praised for doing so. And while that's better than nothing it isn't much.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Ronaldo is merely a stereotypical bad ally, in that he puts himself/his feelings ahead of the cause he's trying to be an ally to. His heart's in the right place but his motivation is suspect. Since he's been thirsting for recognition likely for well over half his life at this point, it will be hard for him to learn how to take a back seat which is why him ending the episode slightly better and not "fixed" is exactly how it should have happened.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Not really...?

Dude straight attempted-murdered Lars, that one time they were doing movie night.

He's a tad unhinged.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Also, I've wanted to do a fandub of the full version of this scene for a while, but I just only got into the mood a short while ago so I only have this short bit. I'm gonna do the full scene eventually, because god damn I just love this scene so much.

Contains spoilers for Bismuth

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Not really...?

Dude straight attempted-murdered Lars, that one time they were doing movie night.

He's a tad unhinged.

Well from his PoV Lars made a haunted house angry and got Sadie killed

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Hey here's a Greg Universe song
    https://youtu.be/nNrSISR8o2E

Yeah it's really sung by the voice actor

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Not really...?

He's a tad unhinged.
    Look, let's all be real here. Who among us WOULDN'T try to trade Lars for Sadie if the situation demanded it?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Not really...?

He's a tad unhinged.
    Look, let's all be real here. Who among us WOULDN'T try to trade Lars for Sadie if the situation demanded it?

i've looked into my soul and yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2_E-ghbdlo

also, oofh. Star vs the Forces of Evil had a pretty tumultuous season finale.
    Season 3 was guaranteed March 2016 and I'm sure they've been in production, but man, the hiatus is gonna be hard on this one.

episode spoilers if you don't want to know.
    God damn, Star. That is not fair. You can't say something like that and just leave.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Not really...?

He's a tad unhinged.

His only fault is that he didn't succeed

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Yeah Star vs the Forces of Evil had like... uh, three different cliff-hangers based on 1. Overall grand world plot 2. The Standard Plot, and 3. Character Arcs.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    out of nowhere but....

If Pearls and Bismuth can be considered Gems.....

Where does it end?

Could Ivory be considered a gem?

I need to draw my new Gemsona: Ox Bezoar now.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    ...Huh. Yea, the existence of Pearls signify pretty dark things about them having encountered organic worlds before.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    it's a Pearl, but with a beard!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    out of nowhere but....

Where does it end?

You can make artificial pearls which fits in with their made to order thing

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    out of nowhere but....

Where does it end?

You can make artificial pearls which fits in with their made to order thing

Oh, how are artificial pearls made?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    out of nowhere but....

Where does it end?

"Gemstone" isn't limited simply to crystals that are grown without contact with living things. Pearls are also considered gemstones, as is amber.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Well there are cultured pearls which are made by "farming" mollusks. I doubt Pearl is made from Resin or glass.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    out of nowhere but....

Where does it end?

"Gemstone" isn't limited simply to crystals that are grown without contact with living things. Pearls are also considered gemstones, as is amber.

I agree that Pearls are definitely gems.

But is Ivory analogous to a gem? Carved bone has been used in jewelry like gems. What about coral?

Could Gold be a gem? I mean, again, it's used in jewelry. If Bismuth (a metal) can be a gem....

And then, like, there's the stuff like Ammolite which is basically fossils.

Could there be an ammolite gem? That'd be really rad, actually.

My point is, I wanna see and draw organic gems now. :razz:

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    If the metallics existed, I'd imagine they'd be the exact counterpart to Crystal Gems (Alloys instead of fusion, etc)

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    If the metallics existed, I'd imagine they'd be the exact counterpart to Crystal Gems (Alloys instead of fusion, etc)

Those were a couple OCs I had, haha.

I think up a lot of OCs. Haha.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Fordite, please.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I revisited the Silent Hill soundtrack today, and yep, that sure is Connie's mom. Nightmare Hospital just became retroactively hilarious.

Edit: Apparently we're getting a new episode on March 10th
    Title
    Room for Ruby

Edit 2: I just saw a promo on CN for new shows on Friday, somehow they completely neglected to mention SU. Sometimes I feel like the network is trying to kill the show.

Ov3rcharge on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    also, oofh. Star vs the Forces of Evil had a pretty tumultuous season finale.
    Season 3 was guaranteed March 2016 and I'm sure they've been in production, but man, the hiatus is gonna be hard on this one.

episode spoilers if you don't want to know.
    God damn, Star. That is not fair. You can't say something like that and just leave.

Yeah, holy shit Star vs FOE has gotten crazy good over this season. I mean, I always really enjoyed it before, but goddamn shit has gotten fuckin' real.

And that finale (didn't realize it was a finale, but that makes sense) and the episode prior were amazing.
    I loved Star's princess song

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Oh shit, we're getting Tiger Millionaire on Friday. Woo!

This discussion has been closed.