As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World. PS4 Beta on 12/9. Welcome new Hunters!

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Speaking of Wyvern Fire knockback, what's the etiquette on using that online? Not so easy to wait for a perfect opening now that the heat gauge exists.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Speaking of Wyvern Fire knockback, what's the etiquette on using that online? Not so easy to wait for a perfect opening now that the heat gauge exists.
    I'm always happy to get accidentally hit by the Wyvern Fire knockback. :D It's one of the most hilarious things in the game. I don't think you'll find many PAers who are so tryhard that they are concerned with a little bit of ADVENTURE! to spice up their hunts. :D

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I just make sure I get Orange extract with Insect Glaive. That prevents knockdown from about half the weapons. The other half (Lance charge, Wyvern Fire, Hammer pound, HH Superpound, upswings) aren't something you can really do anything about regardless of what weapon you are using, and the upswings now don't leave you helpless (free Aerial attacks!).

In general, I look for a location someone isn't already stabbing and stab at that location with all weapons. You get higher DPS if everyone is hitting the monster, even if you are hitting a sub-optimal hitzone. I hate when everyone gathers at one armpit and only one person is dealing damage because the other three are being tripped.

As someone who probably does more than his fair share of tripping (whirling death doesn't aim very well, regrettably) this is one of the hidden bonuses to Aerial mode: attacking on a different plane.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It's particularly annoying when I get interrupted in the middle of a recital or encore. I didn't just get launched, the person doing it actively debuffed the entire party.

As far as I can tell, Hunting Horns are fairly friendly towards other players as long as they're careful about superpounds. I'd like other weapons to at least try to extend the same courtesy.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    It's particularly annoying when I get interrupted in the middle of a recital or encore. I didn't just get launched, the person doing it actively debuffed the entire party.

As far as I can tell, Hunting Horns are fairly friendly towards other players as long as they're careful about superpounds. I'd like other weapons to at least try to extend the same courtesy.
    Pfft. Music majors, AMIRITE? :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Yeah as a GS user

im like

is tail cut? is x broken?

aim there

good punish on head? unsheath draw on it

i guess charging also has alot of super armor vs every other wep, but i never really get salty about where other people are

HH should generally aim head just as much as hammer

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I just run provoke.

If the head is aimed at me, it's mine.

Elsewise I just.. dunno, go smack a foot or something.

But provoke is really really good so I don't often have to bother.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    and for all I said I don't actualy care. I just play and if I get tripped I do.

I play with enough people running DB's and LS's that I'm pretty damned used to it by now.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    elijahdprophetelijahdprophet Registered User regular
    I just unlocked 2* quests last night, Generations is my first MH game and while I feel like I am surely doing things wrong I'm also having fun running around with a pair of psychopathic cats.

• Options
    Speaking of weapons. I spent all weekend repeatedly soloing glavenus with every weapon in different styles to see which I liked. He's weird and jumpy enough with big hit boxes but reasonable tells that he seems like a good sparring partner.

I learned there are weapons I still just don't like no matter how much I want to (LS and GL) others that could be alright but I didn't actually have fun with (CB and SnS) or more surprising one I didn't think I'd like because I started off hating everything else about it but...

Damn son, aerial IG? yeah. That's my jam. Guild, striker and adept felt not great but the forward flip in aerial is all kinds of my jam.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

If someone gets knocked back by a Wyvern Fire they picked a weird place to be standing given the conspicuous charging noise and animation.

I only feel bad about regular shell knockbacks anymore. And usually not those.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

If someone gets knocked back by a Wyvern Fire they picked a weird place to be standing given the conspicuous charging noise and animation.

I only feel bad about regular shell knockbacks anymore. And usually not those.

8-)

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    ... on a totally unrelated note, if you guys feel that I can be trusted with Dragon Blast 3 I could use help unlocking that later on!

<_<
    >_>

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Speaking of weapons. I spent all weekend repeatedly soloing glavenus with every weapon in different styles to see which I liked. He's weird and jumpy enough with big hit boxes but reasonable tells that he seems like a good sparring partner.

I learned there are weapons I still just don't like no matter how much I want to (LS and GL) others that could be alright but I didn't actually have fun with (CB and SnS) or more surprising one I didn't think I'd like because I started off hating everything else about it but...

Damn son, aerial IG? yeah. That's my jam. Guild, striker and adept felt not great but the forward flip in aerial is all kinds of my jam.

Aerial IG is just so much fun, it's pretty much the only thing I run anymore. I actually just ordered one of those psp nubs because aiming the kinsect is such a pain sometimes, especially trying to get all three buffs on smaller monsters.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Needed HR Mizutsune claws so joined a random room that was HR7+. Didn't realize they were doing *hyper* Mizutsune. One of the full body swipes = 90% health gone, so obviously I did end up carting once during the fight. Left after that to finally make my first HR armor (was still using Bukubujabu). 50% more defense so I'd still probably die in 2 hits though.

On the other hand, did upgrade my SA *and* had the unexpected bonus of getting the Hyper Hunter II item to make Deathprize for my SnS.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options

IG is particularly good against Glavenus. It's difficult NOT to hit him with aerial attacks with the IG, since he swings around so much and the IG has one of the largest hitboxes while in the air. Glavenus would be a lot harder, though, if he actually did some chip damage with his legs.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Jeix wrote: »

Aerial IG is just so much fun, it's pretty much the only thing I run anymore. I actually just ordered one of those psp nubs because aiming the kinsect is such a pain sometimes, especially trying to get all three buffs on smaller monsters.
    On smaller monsters, just grab Red and hit them repeatedly. None of them have high enough HP to really warrant trying to collect all of the extracts.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ... on a totally unrelated note, if you guys feel that I can be trusted with Dragon Blast 3 I could use help unlocking that later on!

<_<
    >_>

That might be asking too much. ;)

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »

On smaller monsters, just grab Red and hit them repeatedly. None of them have high enough HP to really warrant trying to collect all of the extracts.

Yeah, that's basically what I have been doing.

• Options
    edited August 2016

<_<
    >_>

Of course you can't be trusted with it.

Doesn't mean I won't help you get it as I am one of the people who just wants to watch the world burn. :lol:

Seidkona on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Trying to figure out the optimal loadout for soloing the arena quests to rank A is a hassle

Incidentally, if anyone wants the arena piercings we should duo the arena and knock it out tonight

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

<_<
    >_>

Doesn't mean I won't hep you as I am one of the people who just wants to watch the world burn. :lol:

I mean, we can reliably assume that it's fRAWRst or CorporateLogo I'll hit with it, or maybe Cromarty, given trends in who I end up hunting with!

In all seriousness, though: when they redesign you guys' favorite weapon so you have to spam friendly-knockback attacks just to get it to work properly, get back to me with your new feelings on the subject of friendly fire. I don't know how closely you've been watching what I actually do hunt to hunt but it affected my approach quite a bit.

Thankfully they gave me Blast Dash and an even-bigger explosion to compensate, or I'd mind a lot more.

I still want a guard reload, though.

• Options
    This is why GS is the best

surgical

clean

massive damage

looks baller

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options

<_<
    >_>

Doesn't mean I won't hep you as I am one of the people who just wants to watch the world burn. :lol:

I mean, we can reliably assume that it's fRAWRst or CorporateLogo I'll hit with it, or maybe Cromarty, given trends in who I end up hunting with!

In all seriousness, though: when they redesign you guys' favorite weapon so you have to spam friendly-knockback attacks just to get it to work properly, get back to me with your new feelings on the subject of friendly fire. I don't know how closely you've been watching what I actually do hunt to hunt but it affected my approach quite a bit.

Thankfully they gave me Blast Dash and an even-bigger explosion to compensate, or I'd mind a lot more.

I just call it Aura's fun ride when ever I get thrown.

I hold no ill will towards it.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Life's hard for a SnS player

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Not like I don't just return the favor and throw people with the Lance charge.

• Options
    Life's hard for a SnS player
    You get Coatings now and a Shoryuken. I have no pity for you. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

<_<
    >_>

I was within like .2 seconds of knocking you out of a lance charge at one point last night and I restrained myself! I've also passed on knocking various other people out of big hits more often than I can count; those are the stray shots I actually feel bad about now, because I probably cost the hunt overall damage at that point.

It's spotting those and doing, like, F+X, XX, XA, X and then not Full Burst that has occupied a lot of my attention, along with learning to use F+B as my gap closer where appropriate just to get the heat. Doing way more R+X, B combos than I used to as well, at least on things that aren't Deviljho or Glavenus-height, where it's my go-to.

I'm still not 100% sure but I think Capcom probably forced me to get better at Gunlance overall - or at least use a wider variety of the available combos - via the redesign.
    fRAWRst wrote: »

surgical

clean

massive damage

looks baller

I initially tried GS when I picked up MH4, and it is indeed cool. However, consider the following:

Explosions look the most baller of all things mankind has discovered.

Greatsword does not have explosions.

Gunlance does.

QED, bro. :snap:

• Options
    The explosion is my lvl 3 crit drawing with crit boost on some poor monsters head

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I just love running really fast at monsters and then poking my lance deep into their hearts for massive damage.

I am thinking of moving more towards a striker build. I am just not learning the timings on the adept block correctly and if I spend a whole fight and only get 1-2 counters it's a waste when I could have the sweet sweet super charge instead.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    I just love running really fast at monsters and then poking my lance deep into their hearts for massive damage.

I am thinking of moving more towards a striker build. I am just not learning the timings on the adept block correctly and if I spend a whole fight and only get 1-2 counters it's a waste when I could have the sweet sweet super charge instead.

Are you using that 7-8 hit stretchostab art at all? Because that looked like it was the way and truth for elemental or status application via lance.

• Options
    edited August 2016

Are you using that 7-8 hit stretchostab art at all? Because that looked like it was the way and truth for elemental or status application via lance.

Currently I am using Antivirus and Frenzy Body for 90% affinity boosts.

edit: I know Antivirus only gives 30% but I also have crit eye +3 and am using the Narga lance. Thus 90% when Frenzy is cured.

edit 2: I'll probably just run Toka armor with Antivirus until I can get mixes going because I am totally digging the frenzy body/antivirus synergy. Even if it's not the most powerful thing in the world it's still cool to infect yourself with a damn virus just so you can boost your power level.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

<_<
    >_>

I was within like .2 seconds of knocking you out of a lance charge at one point last night and I restrained myself! I've also passed on knocking various other people out of big hits more often than I can count; those are the stray shots I actually feel bad about now, because I probably cost the hunt overall damage at that point.

It's spotting those and doing, like, F+X, XX, XA, X and then not Full Burst that has occupied a lot of my attention, along with learning to use F+B as my gap closer where appropriate just to get the heat. Doing way more R+X, B combos than I used to as well, at least on things that aren't Deviljho or Glavenus-height, where it's my go-to.

I'm still not 100% sure but I think Capcom probably forced me to get better at Gunlance overall - or at least use a wider variety of the available combos - via the redesign.
    fRAWRst wrote: »

surgical

clean

massive damage

looks baller

I initially tried GS when I picked up MH4, and it is indeed cool. However, consider the following:

Explosions look the most baller of all things mankind has discovered.

Greatsword does not have explosions.

Gunlance does.

QED, bro. :snap:

Counterpoint.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Man. Solo Villager quests make me confront the reality that I just can't bowhunt solo.

I got triple-gibbed by Zamtrios during the Barrage of Blue quest, after handily wasting Arzuros and Malfestio.

I'm not sure if it was a combination of me being only just okay with the bow, the bow I was using not being that great (femine haze), or three monsters burning through all my coatings but...ugh

On the other hand, I need to figure out how to use Athena's thing, because I've got Mosgharl Pants and a +5 Fastcharge charm...which means that I can just use every other gear space for other armor pieces, and I want to know what I should use.

Kinda want to hunt a HR seregios to try and get some Dead Eye going.

• Options
    I feel kind of....bad that I don't like IG as much this gen. I think I really just loved the ability to do aerial attacks, and now that Aerial Dual Blades exists, I'm not very drawn to the glaive.

Plus, IG's hunter arts are....not that exciting....or at least none are as exciting as Wolf's Maw with Critical Eye +3.

Speaking of, I still need to learn how to farm Silverwind at some point.

Who wants to carry me towards being a rad ninja?

• Options
    Arch wrote: »
    I feel kind of....bad that I don't like IG as much this gen. I think I really just loved the ability to do aerial attacks, and now that Aerial Dual Blades exists, I'm not very drawn to the glaive.

Plus, IG's hunter arts are....not that exciting....or at least none are as exciting as Wolf's Maw with Critical Eye +3.

Swarm is REALLY good. I use Swarm and Bug Blow, so when the Swarm is running out, I can unleash it in one big final hit (Guild style, obviously). The only way this combo would be better is if Bug Blow was uninterruptible.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I really like aerial duals. I just always get the urge to branch out.

Adept hammer is really good but it's... Actually not any different than how I always played.

Aerial anything is really just the most fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I really like aerial duals. I just always get the urge to branch out.

Adept hammer is really good but it's... Actually not any different than how I always played.

Aerial anything is really just the most fun.

As demonstrated last night on a couple of hunts I should really consider switching to Adept mode against certain monsters, mostly Khezu and Lagi since I always seem to be in mid-air when they fire off their zap fields. One time it was a hyper zap from Lagi too... ouch.

• Options

Swarm is REALLY good. I use Swarm and Bug Blow, so when the Swarm is running out, I can unleash it in one big final hit (Guild style, obviously). The only way this combo would be better is if Bug Blow was uninterruptible.

I know swarm is strong, it just...is not as cool looking as Wolf's Maw, or Shoryuken shield attack.

Bug Blow looks cool, but as a single hunter art (i.e. no swarm, aerial style), it's unimpressive in a lot of ways.

Also uh I might need to hunt some Rajang or Furious Rajang.

Also ALSO what gunner skills work on bows? Does Ammo Saver keep coatings?

• Options

I know swarm is strong, it just...is not as cool looking as Wolf's Maw, or Shoryuken shield attack.

Bug Blow looks cool, but as a single hunter art (i.e. no swarm, aerial style), it's unimpressive in a lot of ways.

Also uh I might need to hunt some Rajang or Furious Rajang.

Also ALSO what gunner skills work on bows? Does Ammo Saver keep coatings?

http://laxgg.blogspot.com/p/mhgen-introduction-contents.html

8i1dt37buh2m.png