Options

[Monster Hunter] World. PS4 Beta on 12/9. Welcome new Hunters!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Also thanks to Vyolynce 's Akantor Quest I for the Wyvern Crystas needed for my Narga lance as well. Just need a hyper hunt or two. I'll do that right after I get Toka built.

You mean Uklanos? I don't fight Akantor unless I have to, and honestly only posted the Uklanos quest as a vengeance rematch after he cheaped me out with a sucker-punch iceball in the previous run with Aura and Corp.

Yeah, the Ukanlos was originally my idea because it's a huge defense upgrade in either the hat or chest slot and preserves my sharpness super-powers if mixed appropriately.

Plus I sort of missed that fight.

He really does seem to be a little faster once he starts attacks in Gen.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I need to make that metroid gun so I can start farming Akantor subquests. Need some Wyvern Crystals bad.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Yeah, the Ukanlos was originally my idea because it's a huge defense upgrade in either the hat or chest slot and preserves my sharpness super-powers if mixed appropriately.

Oh yeah, saw you mention that in Discord chat but was on mobile and about to turn in so didn't comment on it.

My mixed set now uses the Divine Ire Haori (Furious Rajang) chestpiece instead of the Seltas Mail I posted earlier in the thread. It has Sharp +3 and a slot to put a Razor Gem for the final point, making it equivalent to Seltas as long as you don't care about Handicraft or the other skills on Seltas but with a higher potential defense. (It also provides some Insight for my specific build.) If you can compensate for the lack of Artillery you might want to look into that.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Oh yeah, saw you mention that in Discord chat but was on mobile and about to turn in so didn't comment on it.

My mixed set now uses the Divine Ire Haori (Furious Rajang) chestpiece instead of the Seltas Mail I posted earlier in the thread. It has Sharp +3 and a slot to put a Razor Gem for the final point, making it equivalent to Seltas as long as you don't care about Handicraft or the other skills on Seltas but with a higher potential defense. (It also provides some Insight for my specific build.) If you can compensate for the lack of Artillery you might want to look into that.

I'm at 16 Artillery and the 1 from the Seltas chest doesn't matter. I just need to get all the goodies for Divine Ire and then that'll work out fine, yeah.

Then if I ever freaking unlock Hyper Daimyo I can mix Guard differently with the Hermitaur R legs and potentially sneak one other skill in somehow.

• Options
    Oh, also I meant to post about how I'm winning at Fashion Hunting.

WVW69jhjlaMAZgIZgB
    WVW69jhjky04VtbRzq
    WVW69jhjwNs3VYWnus
    WVW69jhjl7sw2NQj0I

Fire/Ice/Lightning/WaterAtk+2, Ammo Saver, and TrueShot Up. I'm very excited.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am letting Sharpness go soon when I get to mixing for all crit all the time.

I should be able to stay between 60-100% affinity. Most of the time I'll be over 85%

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Then if I ever freaking unlock Hyper Daimyo I can mix Guard differently with the Hermitaur R legs and potentially sneak one other skill in somehow.

Gotta clear the Village Teostra for that. Not fun, but not impossible either.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I just ordered MH gen. Every MH I've played I've either gone Lance, or SS. I think I need to change things up. Maybe I should try out duel blades.

• Options

I can't get them to offer it to me! Still!

I'd wreck it immediately if they did.

• Options
    edited August 2016

That 3 slot chest looks pretty nice. I'd farm him for a bit sometime and I have him unlocked.

Seidkona on
  • Options

Weird. Have you done everything else Armory Granny (Pokke) has asked?

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    The problem with hermitaur R is that it's a set football pads

Why can't every armor piece have 3 slots and inherent skill points so i can have a sharpness +2, hge, wind res, attack up, crit eye +3, crit boost set

That being said who wants to farm akantor tallfangs with me later today

• Options

I could swear I got a request from her at one point, but it's not in the log, so I must be missing some kind of prereq.

Given the increasingly ridiculous and Hub-based nature of the requests I do have, I'm mostly just confused.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Guys, I'm going to be running a tigrex longsword (in generations), and I was wondering what would be a good set of armor to shoot for? I just hit HR6 and I've been using the Bujabujawhatever armor and it's clearly getting a little long in the tooth.

But yeah, what is good to pair with high raw/shit affinity weapons?

tiggy LS has natural white and 1 slot. Razor sharp is usually super useful, as well as AUL/CE+3 which will cancel out tiggys -20/-15 affinity

the dreadking set is a perfect "jack of all trades" for most melee weps: HGE, AUL, weakness exploit and wind press. youll be unlikely to fit razor sharp on this set without an excellent charm (sharpness+ 5 000 slot)

other skills to go for is crit boost and evasion +, if thats your thing for LS dodging. Challenger +1/2 is also an option, but iirc it only provides aul and no auxl now

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options

I could swear I got a request from her at one point, but it's not in the log, so I must be missing some kind of prereq.

Given the increasingly ridiculous and Hub-based nature of the requests I do have, I'm mostly just confused.

IIRC one of her requests isn't a hunt, it's a Trader thing where you have to get Hyper Extracts.

• Options
    Orphane wrote: »
    The problem with hermitaur R is that it's a set football pads.

Looking rediculous has never stopped me before.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Guys, I'm going to be running a tigrex longsword (in generations), and I was wondering what would be a good set of armor to shoot for? I just hit HR6 and I've been using the Bujabujawhatever armor and it's clearly getting a little long in the tooth.

tiggy LS has natural white and 1 slot. Razor sharp is usually super useful, as well as AUL/CE+3 which will cancel out tiggys -20/-15 affinity

the dreadking set is a perfect "jack of all trades" for most melee weps: HGE, AUL, weakness exploit and wind press. youll be unlikely to fit razor sharp on this set without an excellent charm (sharpness+ 5 000 slot)

other skills to go for is crit boost and evasion +, if thats your thing for LS dodging. Challenger +1/2 is also an option, but iirc it only provides aul and no auxl now
    You also won't be able to fully unlock Dreadking until you unlock your HR to above 7+, so that's something you will have to shoot for the endgame. It's a really nice set, though. :D You are likely going to ditch the Tigrex LS for a Grimclaw Tigrex LS or the Hellblade Glavenus LS, neither of which have an affinity penalty.

For HR 6, I see a lot of folks running with Ceanataur S. It gives Razor Sharp and Critical Eye+X.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Ceanataur S got me through all of HR to HR Break. It's good stuff.

edit: I actually am still wearing it until other things I am working on get made.

Seidkona on
  • Options

IIRC one of her requests isn't a hunt, it's a Trader thing where you have to get Hyper Extracts.

I will check on that immediately when I get home. I could've sworn I did it.

So many kirins and other advanced requests died unnecessarily!

But they did let me make some pretty dope other weapons to toy with so I don't feel bad.

• Options
    So many kirins and other advanced requests died unnecessarily!

No Kirin dies unnecessarily.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I kill a kirin a day just to try to bring down the population.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Yoooo thanks @Hahnsoo1 and @Frosteey for helping me kill the heck out of some redhelms!

I need ragehair though, apparently, to get my armor to level 6. Despite the massive amount of bear slaying, I only got four ragehairs.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Arch wrote: »
    Yoooo thanks Hahnsoo1 and Frosteey for helping me kill the heck out of some redhelms!

I need ragehair though, apparently, to get my armor to level 6. Despite the massive amount of bear slaying, I only got four ragehairs.
    Bearbutt is the world's strongest weapon. A hammer could never be made out of bearbutt, because it would be the hammer that ends the world.

I'm down for more Redhelm killing tonight. We need to level it from 7-> 10. :D

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Yoooo thanks Hahnsoo1 and Frosteey for helping me kill the heck out of some redhelms!

Bearbutt is the world's strongest weapon. A hammer could never be made out of bearbutt, because it would be the hammer that ends the world.

My wife was watching most of those fights, and everytime he buttstomped us and one of us carted (i.e. me) she laughed uproariously

dangit wife :[

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

My wife was watching most of those fights, and everytime he buttstomped us and one of us carted (i.e. me) she laughed uproariously

dangit wife :[

Flying buttstomp carts are literally the best part about Redhelm. Shit is hilarious.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Redhelm and Narga might be my favorite monsters

Coincidentally, those are some of the only Deviant armor sets I want to make

Maybe snowbaron because of the lolz appearance of the set (and to play around with more aerial style)

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

Rathalos is a straightforward upgrade. Similar amount of Attack plus Weakness Exploit for free. And then whatever utility skill you can squeeze in based on your charms. Razor Sharp might be a good option to make the most out of the short white, but it takes a good charm to get both that and AUpL if you care.

You can't do a Sharpness+1/2 build or a Crit Boost build with Tigrex, so staying on the attack route is probably your best bet.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    At what crit levels does crit boost become worth it

I feel pretty confident that running silverwind narga (crit eye +3, crit boost) with hidden saber (narga weap with 40% crit for a grand total of 70% crit and makes the increase in crit damage probably worth it from a napkin math standpoint but is there a cutoff where it's generally considered worth it?

Orphane on
  • Options

I feel pretty confident that running silverwind narga (crit eye +3, crit boost) with hidden saber (narga weap with 40% crit for a grand total of 70% crit and makes the increase in crit damage probably worth it from a napkin math standpoint but is there a cutoff where it's generally considered worth it?

Here is the only question you need to ask about crit

How much do you want to see those sweet crit particle effects?

For me the answer is all the time so I say always crit every crit crit crit crit

Crit eye +3, Wolf's Maw, Dual Blades means ALL THE FLASH CUTS

• Options
    edited August 2016

Assuming you have 100% affinity, it is a 12% damage boost, scaling down as your affinity goes down (6% damage boost at 50% affinity, for example). Whenever you think about a skill, think about it in terms of an opportunity cost compared to other similar skills that boost damage. Attack Up (S) is 10 points of base attack, which is around 3-6% raw damage boost for most weapons at endgame. Crit Boost and Attack Up (S) are roughly equivalent in terms of difficulty to mix and match and gem in, I think. Also note that Critical Eye +1 (another 10 point skill) gives roughly 2.5% damage boost.

My personal cutoff would be around 50% Affinity. Below that, you'd probably be better served by a different skill. Alternatively, it would be a good complement to Weakness Exploit (which gives 50% affinity against weak points).

The difference, of course, is that Crit Boost often comes as a package deal with Critical Eye or Repeat Offender and has a great synergy with those skills.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

im bad at math, but crit boost changes crits from 1.25 to 1.40

so in theory it boosts the damage of motions by 15% or so.

id say thats a sizeable diff once u hit more then 50% affinity

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    fRAWRst wrote: »

im bad at math, but crit boost changes crits from 1.25 to 1.40

so in theory it boosts the damage of motions by 15% or so.

id say thats a sizeable diff once u hit more then 50% affinity
    It's actually a 12% boost (absolute difference of 15%, relative difference of 12%), since you are normally doing the 1.25x the damage on crits. I mean, if you had a 15% damage boost on a 1.25 multiplier, you'd be doing 1.4375x, which isn't much more than that anyway.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Math! Raw Weapon damage * (1 + (0.4 * .affinity)) = damage

Swap out .4 with .25 if you don't have Critical boost.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Math! Raw Weapon damage * (1 + (0.4 x .affinity)) = damage

But whats the formula to show how rad the crit flashes look?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Math! Raw Weapon damage * (1 + (0.4 x .affinity)) = damage

But whats the formula to show how rad the crit flashes look?

Solve for awesome.

• Options

I think my last wave of napkin math said that Hidden + crit build was better than Hidden + attack build, and about the same as Tigrex + attack build. So if you were gonna gem in evasion skills anyway it's a good setup.

• Options
    Wyvern wrote: »

I think my last wave of napkin math said that Hidden + crit build was better than Hidden + attack build, and about the same as Tigrex + attack build. So if you were gonna gem in evasion skills anyway it's a good setup.

Wut

Silverwind also comes with evade +2, evade dist too, i just didn't mention them because it wasn't relevant to the crit damage calcs

• Options
    You guys and your napkins. What's wrong with just using normal paper??

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Wut

Silverwind also comes with evade +2, evade dist too, i just didn't mention them because it wasn't relevant to the crit damage calcs
    I meant, like, if your alternative to the Silverwend set is a Tigrex weapon in Rathalos armor with an Evasion charm+gems. If you didn't care about the evasion and the alternative was devoting a mixed set, charm, and gems 100% to damage, then the Silverwind setup couldn't compete. But obviously the Evade + Evade Distance is part of the value proposition.

• Options
    edited August 2016

Wut

I meant, like, if your alternative to the Silverwend set is a Tigrex weapon in Rathalos armor with an Evasion charm+gems. If you didn't care about the evasion and the alternative was devoting a mixed set, charm, and gems 100% to damage, then the Silverwind setup couldn't compete. But obviously the Evade + Evade Distance is part of the value proposition.

Oh sure, yeah

I didn't think about it in that way because i already have silverwind maxed out and i would rather look like a badass ninja rolling through shit than do somewhat more damage

Orphane on