As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Presidential Election: Wave Riders

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    She is splitting hairs by admitting Trump spent money but saying he did not "invest money," which does not really make it OK.

That's because she's a spin jockey, not a lawyer.

Her instinct is to minimize and move on, when an admission of this is going to be trouble from a legal standpoint.

It is past the statute of limitations so Trump could go out there and talk about how smart he was to break that law if he felt like it.

I am not sure he isn't going to do that.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    Yes, it is incredibly bad optics. About the only way I see it working is if you appoint a special prosecutor who is someone like Cruz or Christie, some ultra die hard Republican, but not either of them because they have personal reasons to knife non-President Donald, and let this theoretical GOPer just go to town on him.

The New York Attorney General seems more than willing to punch him square in the dick, the feds probably don't even have to get involved.

It appears that the investigation has been expanded to include the self-dealing accusations brought up last week as well.

NYAG is all outta fucks, and they have jurisdiction as the foundation is out of NYS.

As is traditional the NYAG wants to be Governor next so is looking for scalps.

It's better optics than a federal investigation though still not wonderful given Clinton's ties to NY.

I dunno, I see a federal investigation being very good PR.

"Rich racist dirtbag found to be involved in a multitude of illegal dealings. Sentenced to X years in jail and fined X Million dollars."

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    If it were most anyone else I wouldn't care about business in Cuba -- it was in fact, a stupid policy. On the other hand, Trump (and every other republican) been critical of opening relations with Cuba and he thinks he's above the law, so fuck him. The only people this hurts him with is maybe the Cuban population in Florida. No one else cares, or they weren't voting for him in the first place.

I'm all for anything that hurts him in Florida, though.

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    What's that frog?

That's Pepe the frog, previously a random image meme, but now co-opted by the Alt-Right, used as a kinda dog-whistle for their beliefs. Hold up the frog, and we know you're in our side kinda thing.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    If it were most anyone else I wouldn't care about business in Cuba -- it was in fact, a stupid policy. On the other hand, Trump (and every other republican) been critical of opening relations with Cuba and he thinks he's above the law, so fuck him. The only people this hurts him with is maybe the Cuban population in Florida. No one else cares, or they weren't voting for him in the first place.

I'm against the embargo, it's a stupid policy -- but I'm in favour of removing it, not of having rich assholes ignore it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    What's that frog?

That's Pepe the frog, previously a random image meme, but now co-opted by the Alt-Right, used as a kinda dog-whistle for their beliefs. Hold up the frog, and we know you're in our side kinda thing.

Aha, ew.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Didn't someone already point out that it's beyond the statuate of limitations?

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The really stupid thing is that I know a couple of people who ended up going to Cuba when they were younger as part of a vacation or something, buying some cigars or whatnot and they're still dealing with the annoying legal fallout.

But Trump threw money at Castro and he's gonna be fine.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I just got into a Clinton argument with a Johnson supporter. Fuck. Why do I take the bait on this shit every time. I can't help it. And now I'm just annoyed.

I have to share it. It's the only thing that will make me feel better.
    j0obboa1zfcy.jpg

beeba2f8v0u3.jpg

sleifuch0734.jpg

v52rjhr94ntp.jpg

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

Yeah I can't really even throw stones on this one, though again: I'm not trying to be the president!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    What's that frog?

Aha, ew.

The SPLC has designated Pepe as a hate symbol.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Yeah. The question is how does the campaign spin it, does the media glom onto it and make it into an issue, does Trump say something really stupid about it (either in response to the story, or when asked about it at a debate, etc.). . .

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    Yes, it is incredibly bad optics. About the only way I see it working is if you appoint a special prosecutor who is someone like Cruz or Christie, some ultra die hard Republican, but not either of them because they have personal reasons to knife non-President Donald, and let this theoretical GOPer just go to town on him.

The New York Attorney General seems more than willing to punch him square in the dick, the feds probably don't even have to get involved.

It appears that the investigation has been expanded to include the self-dealing accusations brought up last week as well.

NYAG is all outta fucks, and they have jurisdiction as the foundation is out of NYS.

It's better optics than a federal investigation though still not wonderful given Clinton's ties to NY.

"Rich racist dirtbag found to be involved in a multitude of illegal dealings. Sentenced to X years in jail and fined X Million dollars."

It's exactly as good PR as the bill that just got past Obama's veto.

The bases cheer it while anybody who understands the precedent it sets starts to get really really worried about where it will lead.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    so this popped up on my feed. anyone got the details? would love to hear what she said.

apparently, this is what she said

Wait....

I've seen this before

iscg2MF.jpg

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016

The bases cheer it while anybody who understands the precedent it sets starts to get really really worried about where it will lead.

What precedent is it setting?

That if you publicly proclaim your crimes, you are investigated and prosecuted according to the law, regardless of your privilege? That seems like a good one.

I am actually asking.

Morkath on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

If Trump broke the law, Trump should be prosecuted. It would be preferred if it could be done in as apolitical way as possible (a Republican AG going after him?), but people should not get to be above the law because it would look bad politically to go after them (e.g Nixon)

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Doesn't matter if its beyond the statute of limitations to all the Cuban-American voters in Florida, a state Trump badly needs to carry.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

That if you publicly proclaim your crimes, you are investigated and prosecuted according to the law, regardless of your privileged? That seems like a good one.

I am actually asking.

I speculate a slow, painful trial would look better and set a better precedent than a vengeful tar and feathering.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    What's that frog?

Aha, ew.

no, that was the anti-defamation league

I don't think the SPLC tracks iconography?

just organizations, I thought

• Options

That if you publicly proclaim your crimes, you are investigated and prosecuted according to the law, regardless of your privilege? That seems like a good one.

I am actually asking.

I referenced two:

1) Veto override: Private citizens can sue forgein sovereign nations.
    2) Prosecuting Trump: Normalizes criminal charges against your political opponents.

Both are very dangerous precedents if we'd like to continue having things like functional political systems.

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

I don't think that matters unless what you're hoping for is for Trump to go to prison or something.

But considering the climate of this particular election, e.g. the economic bitterness of both the Sanders voters and shit like the Wells Fargo fiasco, it scores PRETTY NEGATIVE POINTS politically for Trump to have not only engaged in some white collar crime, but got away with it on a technicality. That's going to piss off the economically bitter voters, I'd say.

WordLust on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

there may no longer be grounds for prosecution, but that doesn't mean there wont be fall out. it begs more questions about his foreign investments, which when combined with his dealings in Russia may warrant investigation.

there's also the impact it will have on the Cuban ex-pat community in Florida and their opinion of Trump. especially as it comes just a day or two after he bashed Obama's policy on Cuba at a rally there. the hypocrisy wont be lost on them i don't think.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    What's that frog?

Aha, ew.

Which led to this interview where the creator of said frog is basically just like "I have no idea wtf is going on and also, I'm voting for Hillary"

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I am actually asking.

I referenced two:

2) Prosecuting Trump: Normalizes criminal charges against your political opponents.

Both are very dangerous precedents if we'd like to continue having things like functional political systems.

You do realize that the GOP already normalized criminal charges against your opponent right? That's what all the fucking benghazi hearings and charges of contempt of Holder were about. This is one of those double standards where the dems shouldn't investigate real crimes while the GOP continues to assail them with fake ones.

Trump broke the law prior to running for president, running for president should not exempt his fucking ass from the law.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I am actually asking.

I referenced two:

I get the dumb 9/11 bill, that has no relation to Trump.

But as I pointed out, Hillary doesn't have to even get involved. There are roughly 3 months after he is no longer protected via candidacy, that Obama/the IRS can start investigations into Trump on tax evasion charges alone.

I am severely against someone getting away with publicly admitted crimes, just because they managed to run for political office.

Morkath on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    A good line on a podcast from Jon Lovett: "Trump does a disservice to fascism because he just doesn't have the discipline."

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Preacher wrote: »

I am actually asking.

I referenced two:

You do realize that the GOP already normalized criminal charges against your opponent right? That's what all the fucking benghazi hearings and charges of contempt of Holder were about. This is one of those double standards where the dems shouldn't investigate real crimes while the GOP continues to assail them with fake ones.

Trump broke the law prior to running for president, running for president should not exempt his fucking ass from the law.

I'm sorry Preacher, could you link me to the indictment for Benghazi? I must have missed it.

I've also pointed out what would be an appropriate way to prosecute these upthread and it wasn't: Don't.

I am actually asking.

I referenced two:

But as I pointed out, Hillary doesn't have to even get involved. There are roughly 3 months after he is no longer protected via candidacy, that Obama/the IRS can start investigations into Trump on tax evasion charges alone.

I am severely against someone getting away with publicly admitted crimes, just because they managed to run for political office.

Yea, cause the average US citizen clearly won't see a clever ruse that wouldn't fool a 2 year old.

There is no meaningful difference between Democratic President A investigating Republican Nominee over Democratic President B doing it. Never mind that the nominee personally harassed President A for like 7 years so would count as a political enemy of him as well.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
  • Options

I am actually asking.

I referenced two:

And that's the thing - the argument that we should not prosecute the crimes committed in office because of political fallout is a horrible one, because that is the argument at the national level that gave us Iran-Contra and the criminality of the Bush Administration, and at local levels makes it much harder to deal with malfeasance in public office. And it is this that is more damaging to our government.

Politics should not be a get out of jail free card.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I am actually asking.

I referenced two:

I'm sorry Preacher, could you link me to the indictment for Benghazi? I must have missed it.

You missed it because they couldn't get it to stick, not cause they didn't try.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    What's that frog?

Aha, ew.

Which led to this interview where the creator of said frog is basically just like "I have no idea wtf is going on and also, I'm voting for Hillary"

IDK the whole thing is very chicken-egg.

Like, there were racist Pepe memes, just like there are racist versions of a lot of meme images. Then the media got a hold of this story about the nazi frog meme. And now it gets used as much as a mocking of the media as an actual racist hate symbol.

It's like when a newspaper used a pedobear picture reporting on the Vancouver Olympics.

0f146c0b4011b24ffd41368a2825.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Maybe folks here don't know that we prosecute politicians for crime all the time?

Rod Blagjovich

Kwame Kirkpatrick

Bob McDonnell just went to the SC for chrissakes

Acting like this is beyond the pale normalizes criminal behavior in office.

Plus, this is stuff from before he ran. We're not saying prosecute for being a birther. We're saying he broke the law in his business dealings and consequently he should be prosecuted.

That doesn't even mean he'd be convicted!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    More to the point than even Benghazi, Trump has already repeatedly suggested indictment, special investigation, and assassination against Hillary Clinton. Political retribution is not just normalized, it is an explicit part of the Republican candidate's appeal. The idea that the line we must draw in the sand is letting Trump only be investigated in the most delicate and sensitive ways is absurd; if he has committed federal crimes, he should be charged in any and all appropriate ways.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options

I am actually asking.

I referenced two:

I've also pointed out what would be an appropriate way to prosecute these upthread and it wasn't: Don't.

I am actually asking.

I referenced two:

Yea, cause the average US citizen clearly won't see a clever ruse that wouldn't fool a 2 year old.

There is no meaningful difference between Democratic President A investigating Republican Nominee over Democratic President B doing it. Never mind that the nominee personally harassed President A for like 7 years so would count as a political enemy of him as well.

And there would be no meaningful difference if it was a state prosecution, either. No matter what, the argument will be made that the prosecution is political, no matter the level.

The precedent that politicians and public officials are above the law is dangerous. Look at how qualified immunity clauses are routinely twisted to become functionally absolute immunity.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    What's that frog?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pepe-the-frog

Edit: oh, there's another page. Whelp, gonna leave this here, as it has come up a few times.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    My post about the statuate of limitations was in response to talk of prosecuting Trump, FYI. :razz:

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    What's that frog?

Aha, ew.

IDK the whole thing is very chicken-egg.

Like, there were racist Pepe memes, just like there are racist versions of a lot of meme images. Then the media got a hold of this story about the nazi frog meme. And now it gets used as much as a mocking of the media as an actual racist hate symbol.

It's like when a newspaper used a pedobear picture reporting on the Vancouver Olympics.

0f146c0b4011b24ffd41368a2825.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

The point isn't that Pepe is racist because racists use him a lot (though that's part of it); the idea is that he's racist because he's used in an explicitly racist way a lot.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

I am actually asking.

I referenced two:

I am actually asking.

I referenced two:

Well to start, why does Obama care? He isn't running for president again.

I think the average US citizen would be far more enthused that a billionaire scumbag that has repeatedly screwed over the common man, is actually being prosecuted for his crimes, that he has already publicly admitted to, instead of getting away with it due to his connections and wealth.
    Rather than worrying about the fact that it was someone he has harassed for years starting it? Not to mention, if the debate is anything to go by, the trial would be massively entertaining for the masses.

Plus, why does a president even need to be starting this? He PUBLICLY ADMITTED GUILT. That should be enough right there for the IRS to just straight up get involved, no presidential order needed.

• Options
    I do agree that the 9/11 bill is pretty stupid dick-waving that feels similar to the kind of "foreign policy" Trump proposes, though.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    My post about the statuate of limitations was in response to talk of prosecuting Trump, FYI. :razz:

There is no statute of limitations for tax evasion afaik, and it is a felony with jail time.

Morkath on
This discussion has been closed.