As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: Galoot Debate

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

I can't even muster a reaction

2016: the year where we normalized the awful

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    JoeUser on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Please don't be muslim, please don't be muslim, please don't be muslim.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    I started drinking coffee black for health reasons. It's an acquired taste, and you get used to it after a week or so and enjoy it as much as coffee with milk. But you know, there's also not much point in persevering with it.

No sarcasm or snark. Are you ok?

The most conceited type of health reasons: when I diet I diet very strictly and didn't need the extra calories. I do however, cut out caffeine for as much of the year as I can because my resting heart rate is pretty high,

Quitting caffeine is so good for you.

But dear lord, the week (roughly) you spend getting it out of your system suuuuuuuuuuuucks.

The problem is if you don't drink caffeine or alcohol and try and stay away from sugar your social life is fucked. You can't even order a Diet Coke at a bar

Well, I still grab a diet soda when I'm getting fast food while I'm out or something. I just don't ever have it regularly.

It's strictly a once-in-a-while thing for me, which means i don't have to deal with any of the shitty side-effects of caffeine usage.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Gundi wrote: »
    Please don't be muslim, please don't be muslim, please don't be muslim.

or black...

really the best we can hope for is "group of misunderstood lone wolves who probably have mental issues"

yes, a group of lone wolves

KalTorak on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    chances are high its a retaliation to a labor day shooting

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I started drinking coffee black for health reasons. It's an acquired taste, and you get used to it after a week or so and enjoy it as much as coffee with milk. But you know, there's also not much point in persevering with it.

The most conceited type of health reasons: when I diet I diet very strictly and didn't need the extra calories. I do however, cut out caffeine for as much of the year as I can because my resting heart rate is pretty high,

But dear lord, the week (roughly) you spend getting it out of your system suuuuuuuuuuuucks.

The problem is if you don't drink caffeine or alcohol and try and stay away from sugar your social life is fucked. You can't even order a Diet Coke at a bar

Well, I still grab a diet soda when I'm getting fast food while I'm out or something. I just don't ever have it regularly.

It's strictly a once-in-a-while thing for me, which means i don't have to deal with any of the shitty side-effects of caffeine usage.

I drank so much Sprite Zero when I was pregnant.

no sugar, no caffeine, but still fizzy.

So much.

I was caffeine free for the several months leading up to conception and then throughout the whole pregnancy. But as soon as she was born, the caffeine came back into the rotation.

I know what it's like when I stop it. It's hell for a week. Just, absolutely terrible.

But being able to function after she's been up teething every 3 hours.... I'll take the addiction.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Every time I try to break my caffeine habits, I get about three days in before my boss finds an excuse to come down from the main office to the warehouse for "no specific reason, just to see how things are going", but always with a bigass gas station trucker mug full of Dr. Pepper for me.

It's fairly impressive that he's that tuned in, because it's certainly not like I'm a ray of sunshine when I am normally caffeinated...

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The Seattle area shooting from last night, was a Turkish immigrant whose ex-gf used to work at the Macy's where he conducted his attack.

http://www.king5.com/mb/news/local/five-people-dead-in-cascade-mall-shooting-in-burlington/324940198

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    In foreign affairs news: South Korea has just stated that they have a plan in place to assassinate Glorious Leader should they feel threatened by a nuclear attack.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/09/23/asia/south-korea-plan-to-assassinate-kim-jong-un/index.html

Which, honestly, yeah I imagine they would. But actually coming out and saying it right now, on top of North Korea recently (and unsurprisingly) promising to continue tests despite U.N sanctions and South Korea taking on U.S supplied anti missle battery systems which apparently pissed off Beijing and the U.S flying some bombers the "closest they've ever flown to North Korea" and man, I don't feel like anybody is handling this situation particularly well.

The fact is N. Korea's missles are getting better and they're not getting less crazy. Everybody needs to be a little more tactful with how they go forward.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Kim Jung Un might get spooked by that, if he's paranoid or narcissistic enough

But, yeah, taking the hostilities a notch is a longer term band-aid

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Man you don't announce an assassination beforehand

That's like rule one

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

That's like rule one
    The inverse of keeping a doomsday weapon a secret.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It's MAD but the only person Kim cares about is himself.

• Options
    The US MLRS batteries in SK can deliver wide spread cluster ordinance or even guided missiles into NK from where they're parked at camp. Likewise, Seoul is within NK arty range. Eventually NK is going to have to be taken down, no easy way about it. War or peaceful reunification , the SK economy is gonna be busted either way.

• Options
    That whole Lucky Palmer, gonna win the election with memes, bullshit, must be kicking off.

I was just running a youtube search to look at nest building birds and the entire results page was blonde ladies and old black dudes for trump.

There was one actual video of birds.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    North Korea has got to be on the verge of collapse. Their economy is garbage, they're food output is garbage, and the constant tightening of sanctions due to Un's insistence on testing weapons is only going to make things worse. The problem with a North Korean collapse and/or conflict, I'd imagine, is the shit ton of enriched uranium and whatever nukes they've got. It would be difficult to secure all that in the event of a total breakdown of the Kim regime, and, like you mentioned, S.K suddenly finding itself responsible for however many N.Koreans there are would also be a major problem.

The scenario everybody needs to be working for is a controlled, peaceful reunification with as little total annihilation as possible.

I feel like this also directly relates back to why we absolutely cannot let Trump anywhere near this shit can garbage fire if for no other reason that whatever chemicals might waft off of him could cause an explosion greater than the DPRK's combined nuclear arsenal.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    North Korea will be propped up by China for as long as China feels it expedient to do so. Once they decide NK is no longer worth the trouble, it will effectively collapse.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I reckon China might occupy at some point. That's considerably less of an issue that it used to be. I wonder how popular reunification even is in the South, tbh.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Oh we don't go there for meals

We eat meals there because we're already there for coffee

Sounds like Dunkin Donuts

Being outside New England, one of the weirdest things I've encountered is people who think you go to Dunkin Donuts to get donuts, or something.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    I reckon China might occupy at some point.

Possible, but unlikely. There would be little for them to gain from it, unless they were already in a state of armed conflict with us and needed an even more secured buffer zone against US military advancement.

• Options
    I'm just thinking that China might go "hey a country with natural resources and people"

Power comes from geography and population as much as it does many other things, the Chinese government has always realised that, that's why they've been rather expasionist over the years.

Think about it, if unification is going to be super-expensive for SK and they're unwilling to do it, and NK keeps kicking off to the point where something has to be done, China could potentially occupy without even catching too much shit about it, and who is going to intervene on NK's behalf anyway?

Just seems to me that it's a possibility. The reason against it always used to be that the US wouldn't tolerate a Chinese occupation of NK but I think the NK became an actual security issue that they'd be able to come to a deal over it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

That's like rule one

They're making the stakes personal because he doesnt care if his people die. They want him to know that, one way or another, he's in the fucking ground if there's a war. That's all he cares about.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

The problem for me is that if I'm off caffeine, I can't drink it past like three if I want to sleep that night.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

The problem for me is that if I'm off caffeine, I can't drink it past like three if I want to sleep that night.

I don't drink it before midday and never after 5. I went through a period where even a couple of sips of coffee would thrash my heart rate, from around 60 to over 100. That was a sad time as I love coffee but had to cut it out for over a year.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Help. I've somehow gotten out of the mobile site and it's pulling up the full site. How do I get back to mobile?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Help. I've somehow gotten out of the mobile site and it's pulling up the full site. How do I get back to mobile?

Clear your cache

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    If you don't like acidity in your coffee, why not try Swedish Egg Coffee?

Instead of a paper filter, the grounds are poured directly into the water after combining with a raw egg that clumps up the grounds. When the water boils the egg, it makes chunks that won't pass through a strainer, and so you can pour the coffee without worrying about getting grounds. Since no paper filter is used, the oil of the bean remains in the coffee, resulting in a less bitter, less acidic taste.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Clear your cache

Thanks. That worked. It took me a second to figure out how to do that on my phone.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I think there's also a small link right at thr bottom of the page, for future reference

• Options
    I'm just thinking that China might go "hey a country with natural resources and people"

Let me stop you right there.

• Options
    Lot of Rare Earth deposits in North Korea, and China already dominates the supply of such, so controlling more could be very strategically valuable to them.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I was under the impression China definitely doesn't want all those people and the logistics of food, housing, employment, de-brainwashing... associated with them.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    If only China could find a way to get the land without having to deal with so many people, while also maintaining the high moral ground. Like if some kind of large scale war happened in the area and they were "forced" to step in and claim sovereign protection of the land.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    China doesn't want North Korea so long as there are American bases in South Korea. Their current borders don't allow for America to mass ground forces directly next to them.

• Options
    Lot of Rare Earth deposits in North Korea, and China already dominates the supply of such, so controlling more could be very strategically valuable to them.

I'm pretty sure China doesn't need to occupy NK to get those deposits, they can just threaten to withhold food and the regime will capitulate.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The whole reason China still props up North Korea is because they want a buffer between the US forces in South Korea and their border.

As far as reunification goes, it's a lot more popular among the older generation of South Koreans who still remember the war and family that they were separated from. There's a decent amount of younger people I talked to while stationed there who think that the whole process would be too expensive and too much of a hassle to be worth it.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Power comes from geography and population as much as it does many other things, the Chinese government has always realised that, that's why they've been rather expasionist over the years.

Think about it, if unification is going to be super-expensive for SK and they're unwilling to do it, and NK keeps kicking off to the point where something has to be done, China could potentially occupy without even catching too much shit about it, and who is going to intervene on NK's behalf anyway?

Just seems to me that it's a possibility. The reason against it always used to be that the US wouldn't tolerate a Chinese occupation of NK but I think the NK became an actual security issue that they'd be able to come to a deal over it.

NK has strip mined its own rich resources down to almost nothing at this point, other than territory or a buffer there's no reason for China to waste that many resources to keep it. Whoever gets it once its collapses will be in for a heck of a long term commitment with man power and finances. And that's ignoring the citizens there, which is another piece that has to be figured out.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    who knows what Best Korea has in natural resources as even our best guess is probably wrong

This discussion has been closed.