As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] [IC] Where is The Gold?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Gunbjorn - 12/33 - AC 17 PD 15 MD 11

Staggering under the repeated blows, Gunbjorn found himself unable to just shake off another shower of coals.

Taking a breath, Gunbjorn lets the anger and hatred the Black had infused him with fill his senses. Inwardly it was like hitting the eye of a hurricane, everything went still, the pain from his wounds fading. Outwardly, a strange visual effect seemed to envelope him, for just a second, black scales rolling from the crown of his head to his feet, then disappearing immediately.

Refreshed by his anger, Gunbjorn pulls a second axe from his harness, and swings it into the boars flank.
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Rally (quick action, Tough as Iron)
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for hitting the broadside of a boar (vs AC, +1 crit range)
    Geth roll 1d6+3 for damaging the broadside of a boar.

Triggers Carve an Opening.

Rally (quick action, Tough as Iron):
    1d8+3 8 [1d8=5]
    hitting the broadside of a boar (vs AC, +1 crit range):
    1d20+4 11 [1d20=7]
    damaging the broadside of a boar:
    1d6+3 9 [1d6=6]

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    A'ras - 20/24

A'ras advances and his tune shifts from a pounding song of war to a heroic ballad, and he starts to sing. As he sings, Gunnbjorn hears the tale and though he may not even understand the language, he knows it's being sung just for him.
    Advance forward so I'm nearby.
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Battle Chant at the boar
    Geth, roll 1d6+4 for Battle Chant damage

Battle Chant at the boar:
    1d20+6 19 [1d20=13]
    Battle Chant damage:
    1d6+4 9 [1d6=5]

admanb on
  • Options
    @Brody - Trigger Pull It Together! -- Gunnbjorn can heal using a recovery

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Gunbjorn - 31/33 - AC 17 PD 15 MD 11
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Pull it together.

Pull it together:
    1d8+3 11 [1d8=8]

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Faren 15/27 - AC 18 PD 14 MD 11

Faren's shot misses the Boar monster, but he already has a second shot lined up to fire again.
    Using Archery Talent to refire a missed shot (+2 to attack, +1 crit range)
    Geth, roll 1d20+7 for PD (Attacking the Boar Monster)
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Damage

PD (Attacking the Boar Monster):
    1d20+7 21 [1d20=14]
    Damage:
    1d8+4 5 [1d8=1]

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Asuzan - 8/24 - AC 16 PD 14 MD 17

Asuzan tries to guide Faren's arrow, but finds that his initial cannot be improved by much. She maintains her composure and her focus.
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Better Yet, Here attack.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for damage.

Better Yet, Here attack:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]
    damage:
    2d6+3 14 [2d6=6, 5]

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Asuzan - 13/24 - AC 18 PD 16 MD 19

Asuzan gathers her reserves and looks for another opportunity to aid in the fight against the boar.
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for rallying.

rallying:
    1d6+2 5 [1d6=3]

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Faren looses two arrows at the boar, one failing to find hold while the other tears through its back. (5 damage)

A'ras' spell-song affects the magic holding the creature together, weakening its bond to the mortal plane. (9 damage)

Gunbjorn's blade is again deflected, but A'ras song keeps him in the fight. (0 damage, heals 11)

Asuzan's spirits are limited, and give a small amount of support. (1 damage)

Faren: 5 damage to boar
    A'ras: 9 damage to boar - Gunbjorn heals 11
    Gunbjorn: Misses
    Asuzan: 1 damage to boar

The undead boar deals 8 damage to Gunbjorn, and 5 ongoing damage. It also takes 15 damage, total.

Geth, roll 1d20 for Gunbjorn's Save vs 5 Ongoing damage (11+)

Gunbjorn's Save vs 5 Ongoing damage (11+):
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]

• Options
    edited October 2016
    ESCALATION DIE: +2

Initiative Order:

1. Faren
    2. Boar Monster
    3. A'ras
    4. Gunbjorn
    5. Asuzan

Zombie Boar - 31/60

Squealing terribly, the hellboar rushes Gunbjorn, trying to charge him into A'ras. (Gunbjorn gets an opportunity attack)

Geth, roll 1d20+7 for PD: 5 ongoing damage against Gunbjorn.

Flaming coals litter the ground as it takes Gunbjorn on a ride burning him, and then attempts to gore the bard.

Geth, roll 1d20+7 for AC: 8 damage against A'ras.

PD: 5 ongoing damage against Gunbjorn:
    1d20+7 22 [1d20=15]
    AC: 8 damage against A'ras:
    1d20+7 22 [1d20=15]

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    Faren 11/27 - AC 18 PD 14 MD 11

Bolstered by his successful shot, his fingertips find another arrow and draw it to the bowstring. This beast cannot be allowed to continue beating on his companions, else it won't be long before someone drops.

Geth, roll 1d20 for Faren 4 Ongoing Damage Save (11+)
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for PD (Attacking the Boar Monster)
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Damage

Faren 4 Ongoing Damage Save (11+):
    1d20 1 [1d20=1]
    PD (Attacking the Boar Monster):
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]
    Damage:
    1d8+4 7 [1d8=3]

• Options
    A'ras - 12/24 AC14 PD12 MD14

A'ras interrupts his song to swear under his breath as the boar locks its eyes on him and charges. He slings his violin over his shoulder and quickly draws his sword to brace against the boars attack, then counterattacks.
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for attacking the boar's AC
    Geth, roll 1d6+3 for short sword damage

attacking the boar's AC:
    1d20+6 8 [1d20=2]
    short sword damage:
    1d6+3 8 [1d6=5]

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Gunbjorn - 21/33 - AC 17 PD 15 MD 11

Swinging at the beast as it runs past him, Gunbjorn turns to chase after it, trying again to sink one of his axes into the damn thing.
    Geth roll 1d20+6 for Opportunity Attack (+2 crit range)
    Geth roll 1d6+3 for Opportunity Attack Damage
    Geth roll 1d20+6 for Melee Basic Attack (+2 crit range(unless I crit on the first attack)
    Geth roll 1d6+3 for Basic Melee Damage

Second attack triggers Carve an Opening, crit range is +3 now.

Opportunity Attack (+2 crit range):
    1d20+6 23 [1d20=17]
    Opportunity Attack Damage:
    1d6+3 4 [1d6=1]
    Melee Basic Attack (+2 crit range(unless I crit:
    1d20+6 7 [1d20=1]
    Basic Melee Damage:
    1d6+3 6 [1d6=3]

Brody on

• Options
    4 Damage from OA + 1 damage from miss

Geth roll 1d20 for Saving me from the fire
    Geth roll 1d20 for No really, stop the burning please

Saving me from the fire:
    1d20 13 [1d20=13]
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]

• Options
    Geth roll 1d20 for save last turn.

save last turn:
    1d20 1 [1d20=1]

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Asuzan - 13/24 - AC 16 PD 14 MD 17

Asuzan sees the beast charge past Gunbjorn and siezes that moment to make creation bend to her will. The strike was now a heart shot.
    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Better Yet, Here on Gunbjorn's OA vs. MD.

Geth roll 2d6+3 for damage.

Better Yet, Here:
    1d20+7 15 [1d20=8]
    damage:
    2d6+3 15 [2d6=6, 6]

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    Asuzan - 9/24 - AC 16 PD 14 MD 17

Her focus expended, Asuzan gathers her will again, pulling her shadow close-by in case it is needed.
    Standard Action: Gather Focus.

Geth roll 1d20 for ongoing damage save.

ongoing damage save:
    1d20 4 [1d20=4]

• Options
    FAREN'S ARROW STRIKES TRUE, finding home between the beast's eyes. Flagging but not out, it charges for the bard that took out its brood, squealing madly as it tries to take Gunbjorn along for the ride. Seeing his opening, the black knight swings his axe across the hellboar's back and bites into its charred flesh and bone, preternaturally aided by the occultist. The ten foot long behemoth slides forward on momentum, its back legs limp and useless, towards the bard. The beast thrashes wildly in front of A'ras, but cruel magics seep out the wounds in its back until the boar finally returns to its final death.

"NOT MUCH OF A SURPRISE," says Belit, dispassionately. The halfling appears to have been working on Mo'oor for some time, as his case of beakers and instruments are set neatly all around him. He pours some blue-gold mixture into the broken elf's stomach wound, and begins to stitch it closed. "As much as I am impressed that you're all still standing, I recommend you see to the fire" Belit speaks flatly, "then, please line the survivors up besides Mo'oor."

The sharp pain of cold air on your open wounds keeps you from falling over in relief that the battle is over, and your adrenaline spikes again as you see the kitchen start to collapse as motes of burning fabric float of onto nearby tents. As you make your plans mentally, you hear the moaning of the injured and see the bodies of many halflings, children, and human women scattering the ground.
    Combat over! Now would be a good time to describe how you're attempting to save the camp, along with skill rolls. Feel free to make rolls with multiple backgrounds, if they're applicable; you can do more than one thing.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    A'ras - 20/24 AC14 PD12 MD14

A'ras moves immediately towards the injured and begins to sing, grief wracking his face as he moves from body to body trying to stabilize and comfort wherever he can.
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for I sang to the scheming and corrupt nobles of the elven court, and they wept to stabilize as many of the injured as possible

I sang to the scheming and corrupt nobles of the elven court, and they wept to stabilize as many of the injured as possible:
    1d20+5 9 [1d20=4]

admanb on
  • Options
    Gunbjorn - 21/33

Knowing that he wasn't going to be much help with the healing, Gunbjorn instead utilizes something he learned doing wetwork, entering other peoples tents. Even better, instead of the normal "stealth" entrance that most assassins would have relied on, Gunbjorn knows how to get in and out of a tent with the minimum amount of time wasted for subtlety. Granted, the tents would need a little patching afterwards, but a sharp knife made for clean cuts.

Moving quickly, Gunbjorn searches the tents in immediate danger of catching fire.
    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Evacing tents (+Str+Blunt Assassin)

Evacing tents (+Str+Blunt Assassin):
    1d20+7 20 [1d20=13]

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Asuzan - 9/24

Escape. The word stayed in Asuzan's mind blaring between the lamentations of the dead and dying. She knew instinctively where to look for people who had tried to flee and failed; her own experience guided her, mixing new and old sorrows in her heart.
    Geth roll 1d20+8 for Escaped the Fabled Cloistered City. (Background+Wisdom+Level)

Escaped the Fabled Cloistered City:
    1d20+8 17 [1d20=9]

astrobstrd on
  • Options
    Faren 11/27

Faren immediately resorted to what he did best. Tracking down that which wasn't expected to be found. Only now, his quarry was the injured, the maimed, and those who were unable to free themselves from potential danger. The Ranger sought them out to free them, remove them from further harm, and point them out to others who could help them.

Geth, roll 1d20+8 for finders, keepers (wisdom+tracking)

finders, keepers (wisdom+tracking):
    1d20+8 17 [1d20=9]

• Options
    Despite his best efforts, the raw carnage of the situation constricts the bard's throat like a viper. Unable to raise his voice, it is lost over the murmurs of dying. A'ras reminds himself of an ancient dwarven play, recalling the struggles of survivors of a mine collapse, digging bodies from rubble as they run out of air. Morosely, he drags the bodies to the alchemist.

The burnt and gored Gunbjorn pulls out his slayer's knife and begins carving through tents with easy efficiency. He tears through a few burning huts, searches them for anything immediately valuable, and collapses them to keep their flame from spreading.Finishing the last tent near the engulfed kitchen, he finds an ornately runed bastard sword leaning against a bed; the assassin grabs it, unsure yet if he wants to find its owner, or keep it.

The witchling girl fights intrusive thoughts and the horrid images of her past as her kindred's magic leads her through the camp. It's not until she clears her mind that she realizes she's nearly standing on top of survivors. Three small children cower beneath a leather coat, staring at the alabaster woman, looking through her as much as at her. After seeing that they aren't harmed, Asuzan pulls them to standing and tells them to make for the center of camp.

Faren bolts into action, running into the kitchen tent. He finds a young man, badly burnt, pinned to the ground by a red hot cauldron laying across his legs. He screams as attempts to drag himself away, but a burning beam falls just behind nearly ending his life. The ranger ties a rope from his pack around the molten cast-iron slag, burning himself badly in the process. Sweat pours from you and every breath is a struggle in the thick smoke as you heave the mighty weight, yelling nearly as loud as injured man as you wrest him free. Near ready to collapse, you should the man and his useless, burnt legs from the tent as its timbers fail and finally collapse.

Your eyes are greeted by Belit's nurses, robed in sallow colors and carrying an array of arcane and esoteric instruments and devices. Thirteen bodies in total lay beside Mo'oor, and the coterie of alchemists begin to set bones and brew potions with clockwork machinery. "I believe your usefulness here is at its end" says Belit as he jerks tight a suture, not turning his head to speak to you. "My nurses will not require your assistance further, though, I speculate Danis will want you to check the wall for its integrity".

Belit stands, pausing for a moment to wipe viscera from his goggles, and looks over his shoulder at your group. "Your aid is noted. Thank you."

• Options

Caked in dirt and blood A'ras sits slumped on a bench, staring blankly at the ground. He looks up as Belit talks, but doesn't stand.

• Options
    Gunbjorn - 21/33

Seeing A'ras sag onto the bench, Gunbjorn claps him on the shoulder. "We should check in with Dan is, or more people may get hurt." Nodding to Belit, Gunbjorn starts making his way towards where he last remembered Danis sitting.
    I'll use another recovery to top off.

Geth roll 1d8+3 for Recovery.

Recovery:
    1d8+3 11 [1d8=8]

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Faren 11/27

Faren sags a little as he catches his breath. The weight of the man he had pulled out was replaced by the weight of exhaustion now. Still, there was little time to rest. He turned to find the others, seeing Gunbjorn and A'ras and moving closer to them. He saw Asuzan and nodded a greeting, while pausing to catch his breath a little longer.
    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for recovery

recovery:
    1d8+2 7 [1d8=5]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    Asuzan - 9/24

Asuzan nods back at Faren as she finishes tending to her own burns. It was time to seek the council of Danis.
    Geth roll 2d6+4 for recoveries.

recoveries:
    2d6+4 6 [2d6=1, 1]

• Options
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for another recovery.

another recovery:
    1d6+2 4 [1d6=2]

• Options
    edited October 2016
    BATTERED AND EXHAUSTED, THE GROUP RETURNS TO DRAKKENFEST. The inebriated are carrying the drunk and the passed-out back to their tents as the families of the injured drink coffee to sober up. Militiamen put on their arms and armor as they prepare to do rounds outside the wall.

THE BAND STAYS, SINGING A MOURNFUL SONG. Those that remain appear to be the families of the dead and injured, waiting for news with quiet sobs. The three children that Asuzan found are there; reunited with their parents, you hear them speak of Gunbjorn tearing down a demon with his axe, and Faran running into the burning kitchen.

DANIS SITS AT THE FAR WALL, SLUMPED OVER. As you walk towards the half orc, he doesn't seem to notice your presence, rubbing his temples and muttering. He doesn't snap out of it until you're nearly on top of him. He sighs, leaning his elbows on his legs, hands at his haunches. "I'm starting to think that I'm not my father" says the half-orc, sighing, speaking to no one in particular. He looks up to A'ras. "Is Mo'oor dead?"

Carnarvon on
  • Options

"Not yet," A'ras says with a shrug. "Belit was working on her. What's our next step?"

• Options
    Danis runs his fingers through his hair, again. "Who knows" he says with a sigh. "The question is, how did this happen?" Danis stands and beigns to pace. "I was with Billy when the beast was slaughtered and desecrated. There was no reason for it rise, unless it was hexed somehow." The half orc walks back and forth before snapping to a stop, shooting a look at the group. "Mo'oor said the gates were shut. Did any of you check them?"

• Options
    Gunbjorn - 32/33

Looking around the camp, Gunbjorn shrugs. "Figured we'd check with you first, see if there were any other immediate fires..." Cringing at the unfortunate choice of words, he lets the sentence peter out. "We can go around and check if you'd like."

• Options
    Faren 18/27

"Anything else we should look after?" Faren chimed in. If they were sent on an errand, it was probably best to round multiple things up together before returning. Time was likely short and there was plenty to get done. They very well may be one of the few people able to help out that weren't dealing with injuries.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    DANIS ASSURES THE PARTY THAT THEY'VE DONE ENOUGH. "We don't know if this was an outside force or something new we need to be ready for. I'm sure you're tired, but a walk about the perimeter could save us from a second attack..." Danis trails off, thinking now about preparation for a full scale assault. "One of three things have happened." He says sternly, regaining his composure and the gruff in his voice. "We're being attacked, we have a traitor, or the rules have changed." Danis steely eye scans the party. "We need to be ready."

THE FOUR DEFENDERS MOVE ONWARD, CHECKING IN WITH THE GUARDS. Wilson's Risk is a little over a square mile, surrounded with nearly four miles of ten-foot walls made from staggered timbers. Small catwalks line the top, leading from guard post to guard post.

EVERYTHING APPEARS NORMAL, UNTIL ONE GUARD DOESN'T ANSWER YOU. You greet each man at his post, trading short greetings "All's well and all's clear" they say, asking for news from your battle. You've checked every gate and every track you walk past, finding only a few angry undead clawing at the walls and the occasional raccoon. Circling down past kitchen, where you can still smell the smoke and feel the warmth of the air, you call out to Roeser. He doesn't respond, causing you to climb the rope ladder to his post.

ROESER'S BODY IS PERFECTLY STIFF, A JAVELIN THROUGH HIS NECK His arms are still folded across his lap, cradling a tall mug of mulled wine. Roeser's weapons are laying neatly at his side.
    What do you do?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    Gunbjorn - 32/33

Reaching the catwalk, and seeing that Roeser was hit by a ranged weapon, Gunbjorn instantly drops prone, making sure he doesn't let his head go above the height of the wall. "When you get up here, stay low" Gunbjorn whispers down to the group as he attempts to look of the wall without exposing himself too much.
    As a footpad, where would I have set up to take out the guard like that.

Geth roll 1d20+2 for scopping out sniping spots (+Int+Cutpurse)

scopping out sniping spots (+Int+Cutpurse):
    1d20+2 17 [1d20=15]

• Options
    Faren 18/27

Gunbjorn's sudden movement had Faren drawing an arrow and looking around. It was only after a moment of silence that he let his bowstring relax and slowly crawled up towards downed guard. His eyes immediately took in his surroundings, his tracking instincts taking over. He searched the area to see if there was any sign of the attacker, any trail they might have left that could indicate who or what had caused all of this.
    Geth, roll 1d20+8 for tracking (+Wis, +Tracking)

tracking (+Wis, +Tracking):
    1d20+8 24 [1d20=16]

• Options
    Scanning the area, neither of you find any (un)living things. You do find a large number of tracks on both sides of the wall, coming from the woods outside of the camp.

• Options
    Ill check to see if it looks like the javelin came from this side of the wall.

• Options
    I'll check the tracks to see if I can identify anywhere else in the camp they seemed to head

• Options
    A'ras - 20/24

A'ras crouches over Roeser's body and closes the dead man's eyes while quietly singing a song of mourning.

"We should follow the tracks through the camp first to be sure nothing more is hiding out, then in the morning we follow them out into the woods. We hunt down whoever did this and..." he trails off, but his face is tense and there's fury in his eyes.

• Options
    The missile definitely came from outside the wall, and none of the undead nearby have been seen using anything but melee weapons and the odd crossbow.

@Brody - Roll wisdom to track. @admanb can assist, of he'd like.