As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: March 2017

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'll take a Metroid/X-COM mashup

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I'll take a Metroid/X-COM mashup

Turn-based Metroid, you say? I'm intrigued.

Metroid isn't exactly an open-world game, but it IS all about environments and exploring and revisiting them, which doesn't entirely jive with my idea of X-Com being discrete mission maps.

But there is something here worth mining...perhaps the open world has 'hot zones' that spring up on Metroid's overmaps, leading to the X-Com conflicts, that must be engaged. Your exploration of the overworld enables more options for how to enter the conflicts and how to escape them, how to contain them, etc. But still have the flippy platforming goodness with minor alien flora and fauna to fight/avoid in realtime combat, in between the heavy tactical shit of invasive forces, or, in turn, invading secure enemy compounds.

...yes.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    All this talk of crossovers, and I just want a new Golden Sun. I would actually be okay if it was a remake of the first two games.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    All this talk of crossovers, and I just want a new Golden Sun. I would actually be okay if it was a remake of the first two games.

I want to "agree" but I would be awash with guilt over never playing the DS game. I heard it wasn't as good, but still...

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Switch at the end. I'm sold.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJ7IUNWGl4

Kriegaffe on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    TOADal War: Mushroom Kingdom

Fixed that for you. And people thought that Color Splash had too many toads...

• Options
    very cool to see the underside of the pro controller and so on.

I now want some kind of Switch Paint program.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Is that milo

• Options
    Mystery solved - seems to be an adaptation of this book:

http://www.lessaisonsduparadis.com/

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    I have no clue what kind of game that is, but those blurry screenshots look pretty good and I want to see the gameplay trailer just to see what third parties are doing with the system.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Switch at the end. I'm sold.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJ7IUNWGl4

mfw I see the Switch

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    God I hate Fallon so damn much.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    He seems like a pretty nice dude. Not afraid to drop the script a little bit and get genuinely excited about things.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    His enthusiasm was terrific. You could see his hands shaking when he picked the machine up! The console looks terrific, and Zelda looked flawless.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The tonight show just has companies on to demo their products? I mean good for nintendo, but that seems strange.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The tonight show just has companies on to demo their products? I mean good for nintendo, but that seems strange.

How is it different from any gaming device being demoed on any other show? New consoles usually try to do a circuit. It's not just any random product, it's neat things they think their audience might be interested in.

Plus Jimmy Fallon in particular may have begged for this because he's always been a huge gaming fan.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

How is it different from any gaming device being demoed on any other show? New consoles usually try to do a circuit. It's not just any random product, it's neat things they think their audience might be interested in.

Plus Jimmy Fallon in particular may have begged for this because he's always been a huge gaming fan.

I don't watch late night talk shows, so I didn't know it was a common thing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, for example this or this

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I didn't think it was possible for me to want a Switch more than I already do but that definitely helped. I always was a little concerned (still was gonna buy) that the framerate in portable mode would leave something to be desired. That looked really smooth.
    I'm not convinced that the undocking was legit (they may still be ironing that out) but it was definitely running on both. It seemed odd that he ran to that very specific spot to undock. My assumption is they had 2 instances running but I don't know why - just a gut feeling.

EDIT: Watched it again, it was pretty quick. Maybe he was just dismissing the pause menu or popup explaining the transition.

Wraithverge on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I didn't think it was possible for me to want a Switch more than I already do but that definitely helped. I always was a little concerned (still was gonna buy) that the framerate in portable mode would leave something to be desired. That looked really smooth.
    I'm not convinced that the undocking was legit (they may still be ironing that out) but it was definitely running on both. It seemed odd that he ran to that very specific spot to undock. My assumption is they had 2 instances running but I don't know why - just a gut feeling.

EDIT: Watched it again, it was pretty quick. Maybe he was just dismissing the pause menu or popup explaining the transition.
    I thought the same thing! I thought it was weird that they cut the video feed before they popped the Switch out of the dock - I thought the killer demo, the sell-everyone-on-it moment, would be showing in one single, uninterrupted shot the Switch facing the audience with the game on the screen behind it, then pulling the Switch out and the game winking out on the big screen and instantly appearing on the small screen. The way it was presented here, I felt like it's slight of hand, and that the Switch might not be ready for prime time.

Which is fine! They have three more months or so before it's in people's hands, I have no problem if the thing isn't 100% finalized yet. I just wish the demo wasn't/didn't look like a minor fake-out.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, for example this or this

Conan does "clueless gamer" regularly, where he plays a hyped, upcoming game and makes fun of it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah either there's a popup that says "Hey dummy you've undocked the console." and you're forced to hit the "OK" button or he was just unpausing it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Also no different than actors being on to still their newest movie.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Anyone know if Miyamoto's samurai Mario shirt can be purchased anywhere? A preliminary Amazon and Google search has come up empty.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »

This looks very pretty and also very Ico-esque. Good move on Nintendo's part, provided the game can keep up the similarities.

• Options
    I just like that it's a pretty decent looking new IP. At least visually.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    More importantly: it's a new IP, when most of the AAA studios have given up on trying to create new ones.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I've always thought that console launches are good times for new IPs, because there aren't a lot of big name games on the shelf to crowd yours off. If you're lucky, you spend a tiny amount of development dollars on something like Rabbids, it takes off, you get sequels and a toy line and animated specials and you can milk it for years.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Looks like a secret reboot of Kid Chameleon

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I'm sold on the hardware, Nintendo just needs to sell me on the software.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Hell, I'm sold on the software too. I just need dates and prices.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Looks like a secret reboot of Kid Chameleon

Unless the Switch has a Yamaha YM2612, no sale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuRQeCKr3DI

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

Hell, I'm sold on the software too. I just need dates and prices.

I admit if you never had a Wii U the lineup looks fantastic. Though I am excited for the Splatoon port. Would prefer Splatoon 2, but eh, I'll take what I can get.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Anyone know if Miyamoto's samurai Mario shirt can be purchased anywhere? A preliminary Amazon and Google search has come up empty.

How shiny the inked square portion looked makes me think they just made it custom at a print an image on a shirt place

I can make out Mario Run on the top of it so I think that even harder

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    More importantly: it's a new IP, when most of the AAA studios have given up on trying to create new ones.

EA invested in Titanfall, Ubisoft started The Division and now Steep, Activision launched Destiny. I would not say large companies never do new IP.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

EA invested in Titanfall, Ubisoft started The Division and now Steep, Activision launched Destiny. I would not say large companies never do new IP.

They like to start new IPs that they can annualize and run into the ground like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm sold on the system already, but when it comes to the games, I really hope they port the majority of the major games to the Switch, as I'm worried about being able to go back to any of them if my gamepad breaks.

Splatoon, Mario Kart, and SSB are all good starts as they deserve a longer shelf life. I'm happy about the port of Lego City.

Also give me Xenoblade X, Pikmin 3, Tropical Freeze, NSMBU/NSLU, Captain Toad, and Wooly World ports.

Sprinkle these in between major new games over the course of the launch year, and you'll have a killer first year for a system, especially for those who never owned a Wii U. Call it the "Wii U Greatest Hits" line or something silly like that.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
This discussion has been closed.