Options

Nintendo Switch: March 2017

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Holy shit a trilogy release would be awesome.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 3 coming out alongside a trilogy rerelease on other systems sounds a lot like Mass Effect and the Wii U, to be honest.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That's awesome. I wonder how many amps it will pull. I have a battery pack that does 2.4A via USB and A-C cables for my phone already, so could it also be a Switch extended battery?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Dark Souls 3 coming out alongside a trilogy rerelease on other systems sounds a lot like Mass Effect and the Wii U, to be honest.

Yeah I really hope this isn't true. They're better off just waiting for the trilogy release on the Switch than releasing DS3 and DST the same day.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    The way I read that was now that they got Dark Souls 3 working on Switch, that means all three will work and therefore they can do a trilogy release for Switch

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    The way I read that was now that they got Dark Souls 3 working on Switch, that means all three will work and therefore they can do a trilogy release for Switch

Hmm. Reread the last sentence. I'm trying to see it how you read it and can't. It says that the plan is to release Dark Souls 3, if it's greenlit, the same time as the trilogy release for the PS4, XBox 1, and PC.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Could always do DS3 + DLC for switch, and a DS1/DS2 combo separately.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, the impression that I got was that From Software got DS3 running on The Switch, and are considering a trilogy re-release for The Switch (and probably the other consoles too)

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hm. So, when portable, Switch uses less power simply by downgrading from 1080p to a lower resolution?

That's.... pretty genius, honestly. Allows for two different performance levels without requiring the developers to jump through many extra hoops.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Hmm. Reread the last sentence. I'm trying to see it how you read it and can't. It says that the plan is to release Dark Souls 3, if it's greenlit, the same time as the trilogy release for the PS4, XBox 1, and PC.

Reread the last sentence of the previous paragraph

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Hm. So, when portable, Switch uses less power simply by downgrading from 1080p to a lower resolution?

That's.... pretty genius, honestly. Allows for two different performance levels without requiring the developers to jump through many extra hoops.

Screen is supposedly 720p, so it doesn't need to push so many pixels. I think that would work well. I think it's ridiculous phones have qHD screens when 1080p works just fine and would save so much battery by not pushing so many pixels.

edit: As far as DS3 goes, the paragraph before states that after getting DS3 to run, they are considering the financial viability of releasing a trilogy set on the Switch. Then it says that they would release it as DS3 with the DLC the same day as the rest of the consoles. So may be a Bayonetta 2 thing, where they'd include 1 and 2 inside DS3 for the Switch?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

Hm yeah you're right. I hope that it's the trilogy. But the fact that there's two sentences there that almost contradict each other means I'll have to wait and see.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Plus, having a Souls game on a hand-held should do wonders for hardware sales due to replacements needed from people snapping them in half.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Yeah the way I'm kind of reading the two contradictory paragraphs is that they will definitely do DS3 and if Switch is selling well enough to justify it, they'll do the full trilogy instead

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I think they were probably wise to reject that

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, honestly, that doesn't seem like a good fit

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I don't think it sounds like a good fit at all.

And what is with her attitude? You leak a lot of info that is likely correct, is reported on extensively, and prior to when Nintendo planned to put it out there in January and act like you are upset they blacklisted you?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Yeah there just isn't enough characters to warrant that.

Nintendo Warriors, however, would be fantastic.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Also Dragon Quest Heroes exists.

Dynasty Warriors ALL the things!

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    DQ: Heroes was awesome. So was Hyrule Warriors. I'm alright with DW all the things!

• Options

Dynasty Warriors ALL the things!

No for real... please do this!

That Star Fox game would've been awesome! Coming up with a playable roster would've been a big hurdle, but inventing characters for the game would be ok with me!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I don't think it sounds like a good fit at all.

And what is with her attitude? You leak a lot of info that is likely correct, is reported on extensively, and prior to when Nintendo planned to put it out there in January and act like you are upset they blacklisted you?

I don't know if it's surprised attitude. It's just that she sat on some stories rather than reporting them because she thought she'd be able to preserve the Nintendo relationship. Now it's gone, so release all of it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Oh come on, who wouldn't like Star Fox Adventures Warriors?

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I'd buy it to play as Krystal for longer than fifteen minutes. But I agree that there's not really enough of a roster there for a warriors game.

• Options
    I'd buy it to play as Krystal for longer than fifteen minutes. But I agree that there's not really enough of a roster there for a warriors game.

Fox and his team, Wolf and his team, Krystal, Andross somehow... toss in a couple Deviant Art OCs. I dunno, Star... Coyote? Shit, TK made a playable boat work in Hyrule Warriors, they coulda done it!

• Options
    Possibly off-topic, but Reggie will be on the Tonight Show tomorrow talking up Super Mario Run.

• Options
    Possibly off-topic, but Reggie will be on the Tonight Show tomorrow talking up Super Mario Run.

I have a hard time being excited until I can actually play it, and we still don't have a date for Android. Maybe he'll mention it tonight.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

Hm yeah you're right. I hope that it's the trilogy. But the fact that there's two sentences there that almost contradict each other means I'll have to wait and see.

I don't see the last sentence as contradictory. "The plan would be for a Switch rerelease of Dark Souls 3 if greenlit to release the same day as PS4, Xbox One and PC receive versions with all DLC included."

The important word is "versions." I don't see that as meaning trilogy on other consoles (with just 3 on Switch). I read it as "they receive their own versions of Dark Souls 3 with all DLC included." Basically a Gold/GotY edition rerelease.

So either all consoles including Switch get just DS3 Gold Edition or all consoles get DS Trilogy.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

I don't see the last sentence as contradictory. "The plan would be for a Switch rerelease of Dark Souls 3 if greenlit to release the same day as PS4, Xbox One and PC receive versions with all DLC included."

The important word is "versions." I don't see that as meaning trilogy on other consoles (with just 3 on Switch). I read it as "they receive their own versions of Dark Souls 3 with all DLC included." Basically a Gold/GotY edition rerelease.

So either all consoles including Switch get just DS3 Gold Edition or all consoles get DS Trilogy.

Ok yeah, reading it again I think you're right here. The last sentence seems to be referring to PS4, etc getting basically "Game of the Year" versions of Dark Souls 3.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I've never played a Dark Souls game before, but I'd probably try it on the Switch.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    That's about where I sit. Neither Skyrim nor Dark Souls has ever managed to rise to the level of interest required for me to make a purchase of them, but the sense that I'm missing an important cultural reference point combined with a convenient platform to get them on would probably tip me over the edge.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Although 3 Dark Souls games is probably way more Dark Souls than I would ever have time to play, this is a bang-up candidate in terms of bringing added value to the possibilities of future games for the Switch.

• Options
    I sort of got into Bloodborne, so I can understand he appeal of Dark Souls, but I had to give it up. Yeah, it feels super good when you beat a tough boss... but the stress and heartbreak to get to that point was too much for me.

Games like Dark Souls and Skyrim will make people pay attention to The Switch, I think. If everything pans out, that is.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I've played the first two and Bloodborne. Didn't finish a single one. I like what they do, just didn't have the patience for it in the end. They're special though.

I'm actually not sure how well they'd adapt to a semi-mobile device. They'd probably have to alter some core mechanics (network features, ability to actually pause anywhere). The latter would be a big improvement in my eyes, but it undercuts some of the, er, soul of the series.

They really are worth experiencing, if only for the impact they've had on game design as a whole.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    You know what crossed my mind about both the dock being connected via USB-C and Dark Souls 3 running comfortably on the Switch? Nintendo may be in a great position here to release a system that is close enough in power to the Xbox One and PS4 to compete and receive multiplatform games, but also leaves them open to doing their own Pro/Scorpio thing later if they decide to release a new dock that does include additional processing power. USB-C is fast enough to make that work.

Sony and Microsoft have already set the table with third parties with this mid-generation upgrade concept, where games will be released that have to work well on the base model and hopefully upgrades of some kind on the newer model without being a separate generation of console. Causing this generation to presumably last longer than previous generations, giving Nintendo time to catch up. They may even be able to pass up the Pro/Scorpio power as a home console by releasing a newer dock after those are already out. Nintendo's base model also has the upside of being portable. They play their cards right and this could be huge.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    If the current version doesn't really increase power with any tech in the dock other than a fan to allow for higher clocking, I'm not sure if they'd have the foundation in place for adding actual horsepower that way. They do have this patent though which could do essentially the same thing, with the added benefit of being able to provide the same benefits to a portable Switch, at least locally.

I also wonder if they might consider selling a cheaper "upgrade" package that just includes the core tablet of the device, no joy cons, no cables, no dock. Just replace that center piece for cheaper than a brand new system.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I think what he's talking about is a faster console unit, that just uses the same ports for the dock

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    If the current version doesn't really increase power with any tech in the dock other than a fan to allow for higher clocking, I'm not sure if they'd have the foundation in place for adding actual horsepower that way. They do have this patent though which could do essentially the same thing, with the added benefit of being able to provide the same benefits to a portable Switch, at least locally.

I also wonder if they might consider selling a cheaper "upgrade" package that just includes the core tablet of the device, no joy cons, no cables, no dock. Just replace that center piece for cheaper than a brand new system.

You can totally count on a Switch Essentials option at some point down the line. Keep the Joy Cons, include a USB C wall charger, maybe make the thing in special colours.

Shit, this is kind of a perfect fallback plan if the Switch doesn't take off as a stay-at-home console, isn't it?

This discussion has been closed.