As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So what does everyone use for hearing and eye protection? Glasses seem like they're just up to personal preference for design and color, but everyone seems to have opinions on foam or rubber earplugs or full muffs.

Oh, one thing that my cousin-in-law does for eye protection: safety glasses for sure...but also supplement with a baseball cap (or a cap of your choice). Apparently, having hot brass slip under the safety glasses leads to bad times©.

edit - ah nuts...talk about crappy TotP. Okay, editing in more information on what all I'm referring to.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I got a pair of those electric ear muffs from Amazon for like $40 that amplify normal sounds. Howard Leight was the brand. They work well and helped a lot at the class I took.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So what does everyone use for hearing and eye protection? Glasses seem like they're just up to personal preference for design and color, but everyone seems to have opinions on foam or rubber earplugs or full muffs.

Oh, one thing that my cousin-in-law does for eye protection: safety glasses for sure...but also supplement with a baseball cap (or a cap of your choice). Apparently, having hot brass slip under the safety glasses leads to bad times©.

edit - ah nuts...talk about crappy TotP. Okay, editing in more information on what all I'm referring to.

Can confirm from personal experience, having a piece of hot brass wedge between safety glasses and your nose is unpleasant. Happened at an indoor range and had to calmly unload the gun at my station before walking out past the double doors before I could remove the glasses.

Disposable home depot contractor foam ear plugs under shotgunner or full size muffs. The full size ones are more protection but preclude getting a cheek weld on a rifle.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Can confirm from personal experience, having a piece of hot brass wedge between safety glasses and your nose is unpleasant. Happened at an indoor range and had to calmly unload the gun at my station before walking out past the double doors before I could remove the glasses.

Disposable home depot contractor foam ear plugs under shotgunner or full size muffs. The full size ones are more protection but preclude getting a cheek weld on a rifle.

I have a pair of Howard Leight L0F slim muffs that I wear with plugs for anything bigger than a .22 or 9mm, they work well with a rifle as long as you don't prefer a really high cheek weld.

I've wanted to try a pair of the electronic cutoff muffs, but I don't know anyone who owns a pair, and the reviews of them seem to vary so much I'm not willing to spend $50+ to find out how well they work.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

That, or have glasses that actually hug your face. I went shooting with regular glasses on, and had a casing come down at just the right angle to wedge itself between the frame of my glasses and the corder of my eye. Instead of getting the message, I was like "jeez, what are the odds?" and kept shooting. Five rounds later, I got another casing wedged by the other eye.

After that I went and got some prescription shooting glasses made that wrap around and hug my face. Hasn't been a problem since.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I wear my Oakley M-Frames because that's what I've had since 2005 and they're z87 rated.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    The unicorn arrived.

[img][/img]

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    I knew it wouldn't come with a magazine or the MBUS sights, which didn't bother me because I'm going to put probably a 4x optic on it anyway and magazines are cheap. I didn't know it would already have sling swivels, and rail sections attached to the forend already so that was a nice surprise. Even nicer, they swapped the stock A2 brake for an AAC 51T flash hider. It's in great condition, only a few little nicks and some scuffing where the charging handle hits back against the receiver when released.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Very cool looking. Colors not my bag, but otherwise very sweet.

I only know the rifle from MW2, but does the stock fold like a SCAR?

• Options
    Folds and extends yeah. Instead of having a detent on the side of the receiver to hold it though, the ACR has a camming hinge that holds it in place.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I wear my normal glasses, which are quite durable (titanium frame and carbon fiber lenses) for eye protection.

Ear protection I wear these, which I don't believe are manufactured any longer-- http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/silencio-magnum-deluxe-earmuff-hearing-protector?a=279476
    with foam earplugs for double layer ear-protection.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    I was looking around online to order a couple more magazines for my Sig P320, but the standard 17rd mags are sold out damn near everywhere except for direct from Sig. When I was checking them out I noticed these.

Sig Sauer P320 21rd Extended Magazine

... I may have just bought 2 of them. $116 for 2 mags is a little crazy, but they were just too cool a thing to pass up.

• Options
    It's okay, I found some Sig P227 14 round mags on sale that I got my dad for his birthday. They were actually cheaper than the 10 round ones.

At the same time I got me some extra 15 round mags for my P320 Compact.

That was an expensive order even with it being discounted.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    If you don't keep a C-Mag in your carry gun, you just don't care about your safety.

• Options
    I'm looking at holsters now as I do plan on using my Sig as my carry gun. Luckily I'm a big guy, so it shouldn't be too obvious.

My original plan was to carry in my sling bag which has a nice 'hidden' velcro compartment for just that. But the Sig is just ever so slightly too big so I'm going to have to mount a real holster in the main compartment of the bag. Otherwise I'm going to buy an inside the waistband holster and a shoulder holster and see which I prefer.

• Options
    Concealed on body carry > everything.

• Options

I've been hearing that, hence the two different kind of holsters. But the bag option is nice for times when I have places to go that I can't carry, in which case I can just leave the bag locked in my truck when needed.

• Options

I've been hearing that, hence the two different kind of holsters. But the bag option is nice for times when I have places to go that I can't carry, in which case I can just leave the bag locked in my truck when needed.

Just so long as you're cognizant of that, I think you're good to go!

Any particular brand you've got your eye on, or still researching?

• Options

I've heard good things about Ozarks for a kydex IWB, but they have a month lead time on orders so it'll be a while. As for the shoulder holster I'm still looking. I see a lot of people say Galico is the best but they don't have anything for the P320.

• Options
    edited March 2017

I've heard good things about Ozarks for a kydex IWB, but they have a month lead time on orders so it'll be a while. As for the shoulder holster I'm still looking. I see a lot of people say Galico is the best but they don't have anything for the P320.

Try Stealthgear, Dara Holsters, Crossbreed?

Shoulder you might have to just go with custom shop. I'm sure somebody local could measure you for one and try it out, if they have experience with holsters.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular

I have prescription safety glasses and I use howard leight electronic muffs. Work great, and if the batteries die they work pretty ok as regular muffs. Otherwise I have custom molded ear plugs I use, but they actually block out too much sound so I can't hear range commands with them in.

• Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    [Paragon] wrote: »

I have prescription safety glasses and I use howard leight electronic muffs. Work great, and if the batteries die they work pretty ok as regular muffs. Otherwise I have custom molded ear plugs I use, but they actually block out too much sound so I can't hear range commands with them in.

When I'm shooting anything bigger than pistol I rock molded ear plugs under my muffs that have a speaker. It works pretty well for hearing if I turn the volume up a bit and I remember batteries (because mine don't auto turn off I really should buy a pair that does I will easily pay for the difference in batteries).

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    So I was musing about getting another pistol at some point, something smaller that I could carry easier. "Something like the S&W Shield." I was thinking to myself. And then S&W go and announce a $75 rebate on a list of handguns including the Shield which brings the price down to around $250.

It's like the universe wants me to do it.

Edit- ... and I caved and bought it. $244 for a brand new Shield 9mm was not a deal I could pass up. Emailed the website and my local FFL each others info so when I get home in a couple weeks it should be ready to be picked up.

So now I own 2 guns.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    So I was musing about getting another pistol at some point, something smaller that I could carry easier. "Something like the S&W Shield." I was thinking to myself. And then S&W go and announce a $75 rebate on a list of handguns including the Shield which brings the price down to around $250.

It's like the universe wants me to do it.

Edit- ... and I caved and bought it. $244 for a brand new Shield 9mm was not a deal I could pass up. Emailed the website and my local FFL each others info so when I get home in a couple weeks it should be ready to be picked up.

So now I own 2 guns.

That's a hell of a deal. It's comparable to the PPS but 300 cheaper.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    I was hoping to get a new AR build off the ground soon but I bought a PPQ M2 instead. Now I'll just go back to looking at Geissele rails with longing.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote: »
    I was hoping to get a new AR build off the ground soon but I bought a PPQ M2 instead. Now I'll just go back to looking at Geissele rails with longing.

I liked the PPQ, but I liked the 320 I went with just a little better. Something about the way it fit my hand felt better. But the Walther is the cooler looking of the two, especially if you go for the longer versions.

Here's a question for everyone. How many pistol mags is 'enough'. I've been looking at Shield mag prices online trying to decide how many I need. It comes with a 7rd and an 8rd, and I want to get more 8rd mags but I'm not sure how many. I've got 6 total mags for my Sig (2 10rd, 2 17rd, and 2 21rd) and I still feel like I should at least get some more 17rd mags.

• Options
    edited April 2017

I liked the PPQ, but I liked the 320 I went with just a little better. Something about the way it fit my hand felt better. But the Walther is the cooler looking of the two, especially if you go for the longer versions.

Here's a question for everyone. How many pistol mags is 'enough'. I've been looking at Shield mag prices online trying to decide how many I need. It comes with a 7rd and an 8rd, and I want to get more 8rd mags but I'm not sure how many. I've got 6 total mags for my Sig (2 10rd, 2 17rd, and 2 21rd) and I still feel like I should at least get some more 17rd mags.

Personally, I have five 17-round mags for my PX4 Storm. I figure that having two mags in active rotation with the other three in reserve should give me quite a few years of fairly light range use ("light" in this case being going to the range once or twice a month). Although, I might pick up two more mags to bring my reserve up to a nice, clean five.

Although, compare that to my X95's six reserve 30-round mags and three active use mags (also 30-rounds). So I have zero basis for this, but I feel ten magazines in total for each gun would be the upper limit for me.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I have 6- 15rd magazines for my 19C. When I had my XD Mod.2 I had 7. 6 of them were the 13rd and the 1 extended one it came with from the factory.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

People rave about the PPQ's trigger, but I agree, the Sig P320 feels better and shoots better. If only I hadn't just bought a new car, I'd have that P320 by now...

• Options

Personally, I have five 17-round mags for my PX4 Storm. I figure that having two mags in active rotation with the other three in reserve should give me quite a few years of fairly light range use ("light" in this case being going to the range once or twice a month). Although, I might pick up two more mags to bring my reserve up to a nice, clean five.

Although, compare that to my X95's six reserve 30-round mags and three active use mags (also 30-rounds). So I have zero basis for this, but I feel ten magazines in total for each gun would be the upper limit for me.

It's one of those things where you can never have too many really. See a sale, buy some. Midway had ten second gen 556 pmags for $79 last week. It's basically an impulse buy at that point. I found some third party HK45 mags that were identical clones of the factory version for $14 too, cheapest I'd ever seen HK45 mags was $35, so I got four more.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Good mags are one of the most important parts of modern guns. They wear out or can be damaged. Plus, they are one of the easiest things to limit the sale of. Might as well buy a bunch when they're cheap.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    odd question but are there any other good single-action only pistols on the market besides the 1911 that aren't either .22LR target pistols or cosmoline-queen C&R oddballs?

and if not I get why because the 1911 really kinda eats that market niche up

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I tend to pick up a mag or two for my Canik TP9 whenever I find them in the wild for under $40.

Which is more often now since more places are actually carrying the damn thing, thankfully.

My blackhawk vest holds four and one in the pistol. I use the AR pouches to hold a box of 9mm and some random supplies.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    odd question but are there any other good single-action only pistols on the market besides the 1911 that aren't either .22LR target pistols or cosmoline-queen C&R oddballs?

I think there is a Single Action only variant of the CZ 75.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options

This one? http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-tactical-sport-9mm-dual-tone-20-rd-mags/

• Options

This one? http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-tactical-sport-9mm-dual-tone-20-rd-mags/

If you want to get fancy, sure. I was thinking more of http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-b-sa-9mm-black-16-rd-mags/ though.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Sig P226 has a SAO version

• Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular

Could be wrong but I thought all CZs with a safety we're SAO. The sky is the limit on trigger and performance upgrades.

• Options

Could be wrong but I thought all CZs with a safety we're SAO. The sky is the limit on trigger and performance upgrades.

Sorry, yeah the CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical and Shadow 2 have manual safeties and are SA/DA triggers (from what I could find).

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Speaking of magazines, the HK clones showed up today. Tore one down and it's nearly identical. The only differences are the lack of the HK logo and "Made in Germany", and the clone has a plastic foot while the HK has hard rubber. HK on the left, clone on the right here.

sVRG5h6.png

JGdo46n.png

kGlDFdw.png

CvvAnmd.png

N3gPuAr.png

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png