As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] 2016 should have been two hours long

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    No. I literally cannot watch the Rumble on the Network right now. It's blocked and unwatchable for at least the next 24 hours.

If this is how it is for all of their shows from now on, that's a huge blow. It's never worked like this before.

Oh yeah, sorry

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Unfortunately it sounds like some agreement they have with the local providers about PPVs, at least that's what I read from googling WWE blackout.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    New policy

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I really only got back into this because the Network meant I could watch the PPVs for cheap, and not have to worry about catching them exactly when they happen, because I always work on Sunday night.

I guess I'll get to watch Wrestlemania, since I take the day off for that one, and that's it. My interest is likely to wind down to zero very fast afterwards. Great move there.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    If WWE wants Roman to be an actual heel, having him retire Taker sure as hell is a good way to do it.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Reynolds it's very likely something the WWE can't do anything about.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    If WWE wants Roman to be an actual heel, having him retire Taker sure as hell is a good way to do it.

It may just be me wishing, but Cole was going on about how something in Roman has changed since losing earlier in the evening. Maybe? Even if it's not a full turn, maybe they're steering into it more and not having the announcers gush over how awesome the big dog is.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Like I said, just make him a heel to his haters and a face to his fans. "To all those who cheer me, thank you. To all those who boo me, fuck off".

But maybe WWE doesn't want to intentionally divide their fanbase like that?

• Options
    That wouldn't really fix the inherent problems with his character, though.

The fan reactions are only part of the problem. The character is badly written in general, and the storytelling involving him is all over the place.

• Options
    That wouldn't really fix the inherent problems with his character, though.

The fan reactions are only part of the problem. The character is badly written in general, and the storytelling involving him is all over the place.

Well I think him saying that would involve better writing,

• Options
    Fucked up that the cameras wouldn't show the hoss entrances

C3ZQgXiW8AAK7AI.jpg
    *Free Ride blares in the background*

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Kevin Nash was a perfect case of that type of character in late 95 going into early 96. He ended up more of a heel by the end but he still maintained an aura of badassery and edge.

Roman needs both of those things now. Well, more of the second.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    But like, just saying "I like the people who cheer for me and I don't like the ones that boo me" doesn't really change anything.

He'll still be a guy that's booked to look like a big damn hero who is at the same time a smug bully.

His character is actively contradictory. That needs to change.

• Options
    But like, just saying "I like the people who cheer for me and I don't like the ones that boo me" doesn't really change anything.

He'll still be a guy that's booked to look like a big damn hero who is at the same time a smug bully.

His character is actively contradictory. That needs to change.

This has been the money drawing face formula for WWE since 1984.

I don't think their capable of breaking that habit.

• Options
    Basically Hogan started it and the Rock solidified it.

• Options
    Hogan was WAY MORE of a heroic character, even if he did an asshole thing here and there.

Austin had the benefit of his primary antagonist being the most comically evil thing ever. Austin wasn't likeable because he was supposed to be a hero, he was likeable because he was a big fat power fantasy, wrecking his shitty, evil, abusive boss. Meanwhile, Roman spends months beating up a guy who's main motivation is "I love my family".

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Fucked up that the cameras wouldn't show the hoss entrances

C3ZQgXiW8AAK7AI.jpg
    *Free Ride blares in the background*

I noticed that Big E came out, then the camera cut away for a strangely long time, then he was suddenly right by the ring.

Was the path really that long that they didn't have time to let them walk it? What?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    It was really long, and there was definitely a fair bit of weirdness during some of the walks down, where the camera people didn't really know what to do

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    In general the WWE needs to get rid of "asshole faces"

Like basically every "face" aside from Titus that has feuded with Rusev for the past year, their primary motivation for the feud has been "they were an asshole to Lana and Rusev is mad about it"

Titus was fine and was a normal face/heel feud ("HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!") but stuff like Rusev/Roman or Rusev/Enzo was totally just about how dudes we're being dicks to Lana, and Rusev was understandably mad about it?

And that's weird? Stop being weird, WWE. Let good guys be good guys, the Attitude Era is dead.

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    In general the WWE needs to get rid of "asshole faces"

Like basically every "face" aside from Titus that has feuded with Rusev for the past year, their primary motivation for the feud has been "they were an asshole to Lana and Rusev is mad about it"

Titus was fine and was a normal face/heel feud ("HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!") but stuff like Rusev/Roman or Rusev/Enzo was totally just about how dudes we're being dicks to Lana, and Rusev was understandably mad about it?

And that's weird? Stop being weird, WWE. Let good guys be good guys, the Attitude Era is dead.

They seem to be slaves to their tropes now.

Or maybe it's the writers being afraid to leave their comfort zone.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Hogan was WAY MORE of a heroic character, even if he did an asshole thing here and there.

Austin had the benefit of his primary antagonist being the most comically evil thing ever. Austin wasn't likeable because he was supposed to be a hero, he was likeable because he was a big fat power fantasy, wrecking his shitty, evil, abusive boss. Meanwhile, Roman spends months beating up a guy who's main motivation is "I love my family".

Also, most of Hogan's asshole things were not things the fans saw.

The Rock was definitely a far bigger asshole as a face than Roman is. So I can see why they think it would work.

Also, we all love Handsome Rusev, but pretending his main motivation is "I love my family/phenomenally hot wife" is just dishonest. His motivation in those promos is that his family is awesome and everybody else's family is trash in comparison. It's okay for Ru Ru to think that, but people do not generally like it being voiced.
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    They seem to be slaves to their tropes now.

Or maybe it's the writers being afraid to leave their comfort zone.
    Given that the trope they are slaves to seems to be misogynists are heroes(except when they are not), it is super annoying.

Geddoe on
  • Options
    Rock made up for being an unrepentant asshole by being the most charismatic wrestler in the history of wrestling.

• Options
    Orton has been wrestling since 2000 and right now is only 36.

I forget just how young he started out.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the worst thing they could have done to Wrestling Discourse is have Roman enter at #30

basically a nightmare scenario

• Options
  • Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Man i sure hope they let randy challenge owens or pull a swerve on us because we sure don't need another orton vs cena match

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Man i sure hope they let randy challenge owens or pull a swerve on us because we sure don't need another orton vs cena match

Let's not assume that's the plan till after Elimination Chamber in two weeks.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    You wouldn't think Cena would be losing the title that soon but he is leaving again after Mania.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I noticed that Big E came out, then the camera cut away for a strangely long time, then he was suddenly right by the ring.

Was the path really that long that they didn't have time to let them walk it? What?

C3ZKiwvVYAEtsQf.jpg

• Options
    Cena with the title at Mania would basically spoil whatever match he's in.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    So EC will be Cena, Styles, Miz, and Bray for sure. Corbin as well? Maybe a dark horse for the 6th entrant like Kalisto?

Oh man, they only have 2 shows to build the entire card.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Woo, still number 27!

It's Enzo! Yah fuck yah go geddim Smack Talker Skywalker!

....wait Lesnar's 26? Can I get a reroll? Judge?
    J/K I love you Enzo you're my favorite skeevy Jersey Shore psuedo-manager even if you got ridden out of the Rumble on a rail

Outside of the actual Rumble itself, my picks were solid. Too bad half of the picks were Rumble related. Taker, why must you betray me? And why in the good lord's green earth was Roman anywhere close to fresh after getting murdered by/murdering Kevin Owens and Braun earlier. The softballs they give him with booking are just grating at this point. Anyone but you Roman indeed.
    They made me hope for Orton of all people to win. Orton! A CAW RKO Vending Machine! He damn well better have an interesting match with Cena or Owens

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    that royal rumble sure did happen

criminy

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    The Cena/Styles match was amazing. Just managed to avoid becoming an indy match where they both just kick out of finishers.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Fell asleep during the AJ/Cena match.

Fuccccccccck Cena.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    The Cena/Styles match was amazing. Just managed to avoid becoming an indy match where they both just kick out of finishers.

That submissions sequence was absolutely amazing.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    TEN! TEN! TEN!

Jesus, that Ellsworth bump.

Oh f off. Minus ten points.

NUmber 13 Baron Corbin. Not a bad pick for me.

Goddamnit, there's 3 slots left, where is Angle?

And they wasted a slot on Enzo.

Oh god, they're not building to Orton/Cena 98 are they?

OMG. OMFG.

Roman is number 30. Once again protected for the entire match to have yet another shot at the title.

Fuck you WWE.

And he just eliminated the Undertaker. It's like WWE actively hates people.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Haven't read the previous thread, but was it just me or did they mute the crowd during Harpers entrance?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Turambar wrote: »
    Haven't read the previous thread, but was it just me or did they mute the crowd during Harpers entrance?

Either this or no one gave a shit and tbh I'm inclined to believe either

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Nah, even the murmuring and background noise was gone

You could hear it when he got into the ring and they turned it back on

I just don't understand why
    Did they not want him to get cheered, or did they not want him boo'd?
    I kinda doubt he got a significant amount of either

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
This discussion has been closed.