As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] 2016 should have been two hours long

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    So Meltzer spills the beans on the alleged UT plans up till Mania, if we talk about this please use spoilers

Dave Melzer reported on Wrestling Observer Radio that the current plan for the Universal title is to have Goldberg fight Kevin Owens at WWE Fastlane (March 5). Goldberg would then move on to defend against Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania 33.

Owens is set to defend against Sami Zayn at WWE live events heading into Fastlane, which would presumably become non-title after Fastlane, as they’re still scheduled. Goldberg doesn’t work live events, so if he wins the title, this will be the third year in a row a world title wasn’t defended at live events before Wrestlemania. Triple H went into Wrestlemania 32 as the WWE World Heavyweight Champion and Lesnar did the same before Wrestlemania 31. Neither worked live events at that time.

Meanwhile, Roman Reigns and Braun Strowman are set to fight at house shows leading into Wrestlemania, and their match will headline those RAW events. However, the plan is still for Reigns to fight The Undetaker at the event. It was previously reported in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that neither AJ Styles nor Kevin Owens would be champion heading into Wrestlemania.

So if this is true, Brock is becoming champ again unless Goldberg agrees to more stuff after Mania. And even then I don't see Lesnar losing this time.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    If
    Lesnar becomes champ again I'll stop watching

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Mania
    I wondered who KO's next opponent would be

Goldberg vs KO hopefully won't be a 2 minute match though

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular

On the flipside, Dean could be considered a bit of an asshole, even one with a code of honour, he fed Ellsworth to Brock for instance (which while funny is kayfabe brutal), but he feuded with the Miz (and maybe I'm just remembering wrong), but I don't think he ever brought up Maryse in a sexual capacity or tried to interfere in their relationship, he just called her out for cheating on Miz's behalf.

Well I mean Dean is basically a human Bugs Bunny and Bugs Bunny is basically the biggest asshole that ever existed

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    That whole thing reads like bad fantasy booking that somehow ignores the existence of Finn Balor.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »
    That whole thing reads like bad fantasy booking that somehow ignores the existence of Finn Balor.

Finn probably won't be ready to go till March, so why would WWE give him a primo Mania spot

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    So Meltzer spills the beans on the alleged UT plans up till Mania, if we talk about this please use spoilers

Dave Melzer reported on Wrestling Observer Radio that the current plan for the Universal title is to have Goldberg fight Kevin Owens at WWE Fastlane (March 5). Goldberg would then move on to defend against Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania 33.

Owens is set to defend against Sami Zayn at WWE live events heading into Fastlane, which would presumably become non-title after Fastlane, as they’re still scheduled. Goldberg doesn’t work live events, so if he wins the title, this will be the third year in a row a world title wasn’t defended at live events before Wrestlemania. Triple H went into Wrestlemania 32 as the WWE World Heavyweight Champion and Lesnar did the same before Wrestlemania 31. Neither worked live events at that time.

Meanwhile, Roman Reigns and Braun Strowman are set to fight at house shows leading into Wrestlemania, and their match will headline those RAW events. However, the plan is still for Reigns to fight The Undetaker at the event. It was previously reported in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that neither AJ Styles nor Kevin Owens would be champion heading into Wrestlemania.

So if this is true, Brock is becoming champ again unless Goldberg agrees to more stuff after Mania. And even then I don't see Lesnar losing this time.

That sounds terrible.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Finn probably won't be ready to go till March, so why would WWE give him a primo Mania spot
    Because they had him beat Roman Reigns and win the UT like immediately after debuting

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Magell wrote: »

That sounds terrible.

But you could easily see it happening sadly. However I'm fine with the

Roman/Taker plan.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Because they had him beat Roman Reigns and win the UT like immediately after debuting

But then immediately got severely injured right after and torched their plans. Not that it was his fault, and I don't think WWE holds it against him, but I could see them holding off on another major run for him till he can show he won't get hurt again that quick.

• Options

But then immediately got severely injured right after and torched their plans. Not that it was his fault, and I don't think WWE holds it against him, but I could see them holding off on another major run for him till he can show he won't get hurt again that quick.
    I mean

It wasn't because he's a fragile butterfly

He braced himself wrong while taking a move and then wrestled 2/3rds of a match with a ruined shoulder

Given that he's still all over marketing materials and games and posters and has been throughout his injury I sincerely doubt he won't have a prominent spot upon returning

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Re: those UT plans
    Goldberg beating Owens and then facing Brock at Mania for the title is, like, the worst possible scenario I could come up with

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

He had a physical this weekend. If he was in any condition to do anything in-ring, he'd have been in the Rumble match. He's not going to be ready for a 20 minute match come Mania time, and I hope nobody spends 7 hours of their free time expecting it the day of or Mania 32 will have a far better reception than this one.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Goldberg beating Owens and then facing Brock at Mania for the title is, like, the worst possible scenario I could come up with

Akam's Rezar.

• Options

He had a physical this weekend. If he was in any condition to do anything in-ring, he'd have been in the Rumble match. He's not going to be ready for a 20 minute match come Mania time, and I hope nobody spends 7 hours of their free time expecting it the day of or Mania 32 will have a far better reception than this one.

Speaking of, Mania card
    Goldberg/Brock Universal title
    Bray/Orton World title
    Reigns/Taker: Goodbye Taker edition
    Cena/Joe
    Shane/Styles
    Show/Shaq
    Jericho/Owens US title
    Seth/HHH
    Nikki/Mickie womens
    Charlotte/Bayley/Sasha/Nia womens
    ARMBAR
    IC title multiman clusterfuck

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I'll admit that I don't know anything, but...
    It seems very out of place for them to reward a guy that just got popped on (multiple?) PED violations with the big boy belt.

I sincerely doubt that Brock is winning anything

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular

Speaking of, Mania card
    Bray/Orton World title
    Cena/Joe
    Shane/Styles
    Show/Shaq
    Jericho/Owens US title
    Seth/HHH
    Nikki/Mickie womens
    ARMBAR

love the sound of that last one

• Options
    Seth/HHH would have probably made last year's card for me.

It's too late now.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular

This is true.
    But you KNOW KO would make that feud great, because he's the best wrester in the world.

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    It seems very out of place for them to reward a guy that just got popped on (multiple?) PED violations with the big boy belt.

WWE isn't UFC

• Options
    edited January 2017

WWE isn't UFC

It still looks bad. Especially since they want to be perceived as legitimate to ESPN and the like.

Maximum on
  • Options

WWE isn't UFC

It still looks bad. Especially since they want to be perceived as legitimate to ESPN and the like.
    If they believe (not saying I know what they're thinking) Brock is their best choice as champ, they'll make him champ.

Especially now that they have him for more dates.

• Options

WWE isn't UFC

They just did a big tribute to a person who very likely killed his wife, and got away with it in court twice. That looks worse than ignoring roids, which they've done basically every time but immediately post-Benoit

• Options

Speaking of, Mania card
    Bray/Orton World title
    Cena/Joe
    Shane/Styles
    Show/Shaq
    Jericho/Owens US title
    Seth/HHH
    Nikki/Mickie womens
    ARMBAR

Other than

AJ v Shane, fucking seriously WWE is it that hard to put an actual wrestler with Styles at your biggest show of the year

That card sounds fine to me.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    So about that Taker prediction.
    If you want the ensure everyone hates Roman forever having him retire Taker is the best way to do it. In fact I wouldn't be surprise if he gets a garbage shower Ala nWo era WCW if that happens. The only way it would ever work is for Taker to go out on top.

• Options
    dragonsama wrote: »
    So about that Taker prediction.
    If you want the ensure everyone hates Roman forever having him retire Taker is the best way to do it. In fact I wouldn't be surprise if he gets a garbage shower Ala nWo era WCW if that happens. The only way it would ever work is for Taker to go out on top.

Assuming Roman doesn't change his character before or after beating Taker, yeah he'd be hated in the wrong way forever by WWE fans.

But I gotta believe something with Roman changes.

• Options
    edited January 2017

Speaking of, Mania card
    Bray/Orton World title
    Cena/Joe
    Shane/Styles
    Show/Shaq
    Jericho/Owens US title
    Seth/HHH
    Nikki/Mickie womens
    ARMBAR

love the sound of that last one

Just take out the word "cluster" and add "fest" at the end.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    UT rumors
    I was fine with Goldberg/Lesnar, especially Goldberg making such quick work out of him

I was happy to see them at the Rumble too, but because of that spot, he is now in a predicament where he should be no actual threat to Goldberg

Also, I love Goldberg but he should be nowhere near either of the world titles

• Options
    UT rumors
    I was fine with Goldberg/Lesnar, especially Goldberg making such quick work out of him

I was happy to see them at the Rumble too, but because of that spot, he is now in a predicament where he should be no actual threat to Goldberg

If they fight again at Mania, the big story will be Brock trying to avoid the spear at all costs.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

I mean

He braced himself wrong while taking a move and then wrestled 2/3rds of a match with a ruined shoulder

Given that he's still all over marketing materials and games and posters and has been throughout his injury I sincerely doubt he won't have a prominent spot upon returning

I agree I don't see them thinking he is fragile and not giving him a big space...but I can see them waiting to consider him in plans until they know he is back. Should he come back in time to work him in to a big spot...they probably will, but they are not planning on it until it is for real.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »

I mean

I agree I don't see them thinking he is fragile and not giving him a big space...but I can see them waiting to consider him in plans until they know he is back. Should he come back in time to work him in to a big spot...they probably will, but they are not planning on it until it is for real.

Yeah let's not rush him back to the ring no matter how hard he's rehabbing.

Not everyone is Cena.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Mania plans
    WWE really has no faith in any of their full time roster except Roman, huh?

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    But my opinion on those Meltzer Mania rumors

Personally I'd love to see Goldberg win the UT. But I'm a 90's wrestling kid at heart.

• Options
    Mania plans
    WWE really has no faith in any of their full time roster except Roman, huh?
    Well I'd argue they have faith in Seth, Finn, and probably Joe.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Those Mania plans don't sound super hype. But we'll see what they can put together I guess.

I do hope in the near future we get a match between AJ, Joe, and Sami or Finn. Get 3 of the best talent they have and let them go out there and show the locker room how they got things done with their way. Give AJ and Joe a chance to try and top that three way dance with Daniels they had in TNA. They both could easily pull out another 5 star match.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I love all the pictures of dudes riding in the go karts, it was the weirdest thing and mostly seemed reserved for the big dudes and I was really curious if they were showing that on camera or not, sounds like not. I'm also curious if any of the fix the screen chants came through, one of the big screens they have up top(the one facing us even) broke real bad for I dunno a solid 10 minutes or more.

Other than someone spilling beer on me at the end of the Styles/Cena match and the Neville/Swann match not being as exciting as I expected the rumble was really good. Was super excited my #17 spot ended up being Big E even if letting the New Day win the rumble was a pipe dream. Roman coming out definitely got a huge what the fuck from me, I was pretty convinced at that point he would win it after he eliminated my pick to win the Undertaker.

Didn't get any spectacular pictures from the night but I did record Undertaker's only intro as it was the first time I've seen Taker live and dunno when I might again.

Did Harper get no response as it comes across on TV?

Pretty sure when he came out the jumbo screens were out entirely, and the loudest crowd noise was another "Fix the screen!" chant that drowned out everything else. They probably just muted things to keep that chant out of the broadcast.

• Options
    That Mania card:
    The only matches I would actually be way into are Jericho vs. Owens, Cena/Joe and Seth/HHH

There are other matches that will likely be solid matches but story wise, barring some really well done development, I am not into very much

Even the IC title match doesn't do much for me because its on Smackdown and the midcard of Smackdown doesn't do much for me unless, like, we get IC Champ Heath Slater

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    UT rumors

If they fight again at Mania, the big story will be Brock trying to avoid the spear at all costs.
    That's not a story

"Avoid their finisher" is like wrestling logic 101

And I don't have faith in them to create a compelling story around it, either

Not even Heyman can spin his magic around "my client was beaten like a punk motherfucker"

"And then it happened again"

• Options
    That Mania card:
    The only matches I would actually be way into are Jericho vs. Owens, Cena/Joe and Seth/HHH

There are other matches that will likely be solid matches but story wise, barring some really well done development, I am not into very much

Even the IC title match doesn't do much for me because its on Smackdown and the midcard of Smackdown doesn't do much for me unless, like, we get IC Champ Heath Slater

Also

No tag title matches depress me. I'm guessing the tag champs for one brand will headline the pre show while the other brand gets the ARMBAR.

This discussion has been closed.