As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump Live Events

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited February 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
All the rules outlined in our announcement apply to this thread

This thread will cover all speeches by Trump and administration officials, rallies, press conferences, and hearings. Talk about Sean Spicer's conferences, for example, should go here. Events by anyone else are not covered by this thread, nor are other media appearances, etc. This is not a general media thread.

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Yesterday I caught a bit of a speech made by Trump to Police Chiefs, a group that I would suppose is more supportive of his tough on crime agenda. Even after repeating the same compliments twice, he only got a anemic round of applause.

I half expected a 'please clap' moment. But I find it funny that he repeats the compliment until you feel compelled to awkwardly clap.

Also asked if there were any cops that didn't support his policies, but then quickly changed topics. I'd like to imagine he saw a bunch of Chiefs beginning to raise their hands.

• Options
    kowikowi Registered User regular
    I sense a loose of interest in every speech made by Trump as time passes by.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    kowi wrote: »

I have trouble watching him talk. I just get the writeup later.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    From what I remember of the campaign season, I saw articles saying Trump had really bad live performances in speeches and rallies. At least, until Bannon hooked up with him.

I'm interested to hear police chiefs not seeing eye-to-eye with Trump though.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Label wrote: »
    From what I remember of the campaign season, I saw articles saying Trump had really bad live performances in speeches and rallies. At least, until Bannon hooked up with him.

I'm interested to hear police chiefs not seeing eye-to-eye with Trump though.

Well, they probably realize that taking him up on his offer to crush the careers of the politicians that try to regulate them will probably result in them getting brought to heel at some point.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The thing is that while police - much like the military - tend to lean conservative, police chiefs are often politically appointed and so their politics tend to reflect the local party in power. They're also usually better educated and more liberal than police as a whole. If Trump rolled in on some random police union meeting he'd probably have a warmer welcome*, but police chiefs as a group are really not Trump's people. But of course Trump would assume they love him.

*Though that depends on the area a lot too, since lots of PDs have large numbers of minorities and immigrants. Especially in the cities that Trump claims he's going to "fix" by getting tough on brown people.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

This thread will cover all speeches, rallies, press conferences, and hearings related to the Trump administration. Talk about Sean Spicer's conferences, for example, should go here.

Is this the thread to talk about Conway and the other "fair and balanced" people spinning their FAKE NEWS? Or (preferably) can we get the media thread back?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Spoit wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »

This thread will cover all speeches, rallies, press conferences, and hearings related to the Trump administration. Talk about Sean Spicer's conferences, for example, should go here.

Is this the thread to talk about Conway and the other "fair and balanced" people spinning their FAKE NEWS? Or (preferably) can we get the media thread back?

No, I don't think we're doing another media thread. Spin sessions can go into one of the other threads if their topic is directly relevant.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Does this thread also cover Trump's tweets? Let's be honest, they are more important than the things that Spicer says.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    No.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

His style of speaking makes the writeups 10x harder to follow, but I still prefer it so I don't have to see his godawful face

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    "While many of the objectives of the recent raid in Yemen were met, I would not describe any operation that results in the loss of American life as a success," he said in a statement.
    "It's absolutely a success, and I think anyone who would suggest it's not a success does disservice to the life of Chief Ryan Owens," press secretary Sean Spicer said in a press conference yesterday.

Asked about McCain's comments at the briefing, Spicer said he had a "message" for anybody who said the mission was not a success."I think anybody who undermines the success of that raid owes an apology ... to the life of Chief Owens," Spicer said. Again calling the raid a "huge success," the press secretary said the information gleaned from the raid would save US lives and prevent attacks.

"We owe (Owens) and his family a great debt for the information that we received during that raid. I think any suggestion otherwise is a disservice to his courageous life and the actions that he took. Full stop," Spicer said.

Since the raid, which saw the death of Seal team chief officer Owens as well as 23 civilians including young children, Yemen has revoked the US' permission to conduct ground operations within their borders. The raid was given the go-ahead by President Trump over dinner, a drastic change from predecessors Obama and Bush, who made their military decisions from the White House's secure Situation Room surrounded by military intelligence officers and other cabinet members.

To summarize, what has transpired is our president was convinced over dinner by Pentagon officials who opposed to the lack of autonomy given to them by the Obama administration to greenlight an intelligence-gathering raid that Obama had already denied on the grounds it was too risky and dangerous. While intelligence was indeed gathered, it cost the life of 23 civilians and one SEAL officer. Senator McCain expressed concern over the administration touting such a high-casualty outcome as a "success," to which Press Sec. Spicer responded by immediately rebuking the Senator and politicizing the death of the killed soldier as justification for the overly-positive language being used to describe an operation that resulted in both loss of innocent life and a significant hampering of our military's ability to fight terror threats abroad.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/world/middleeast/yemen-special-operations-missions.html?_r=0

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/08/middleeast/yemen-raid-explainer/index.html

Atomika on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Do interviews by Trump spokespeople go here or is that not similar enough to Spicer's press conferences?

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I think the thing that troubles me the most about the Yemen operation is how candidly Spicer will absolutely not brook any discourse of any kind about how the situation went poorly. Yesterday he basically said that any talk about the operation that did not frame it as a success was unamerican and also dishonored the memory of the soldier who died (not the child, however, he doesn't really care about that).

I get that we've all been talking about how this administration is a bunch of fascists and democracy is over etc., but this aggressive stance that any negative discourse about a military action is out of bounds is pretty alarming.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I think the thing that troubles me the most about the Yemen operation is how candidly Spicer will absolutely not brook any discourse of any kind about how the situation went poorly. Yesterday he basically said that any talk about the operation that did not frame it as a success was unamerican and also dishonored the memory of the soldier who died (not the child, however, he doesn't really care about that).

I get that we've all been talking about how this administration is a bunch of fascists and democracy is over etc., but this aggressive stance that any negative discourse about a military action is out of bounds is pretty alarming.

It was a really common Bush-era Iraq War argument to argue that criticizing the Iraq War was dishonoring those who died in it. Trump has no problem calling the Iraq War, Benghazi, and anything else a disaster despite the people who died in them so it makes little sense for him to be using it.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

It was a really common Bush-era Iraq War argument to argue that criticizing the Iraq War was dishonoring those who died in it. Trump has no problem calling the Iraq War, Benghazi, and anything else a disaster despite the people who died in them so it makes little sense for him to be using it.

It's pretty close to "sounds like you don't support our soldiers", yeah.

• Options
    It's a frightening path of rhetoric that argues that soldiers' deaths validate any and all military efforts to the point of incontestability; it's a short path, as well, towards an abhorrent destination we're all keenly aware of.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Is there a direct link on youtube for the press briefings? I don't see one on the main white house site.

Like, are they at a specific time every day?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Is there a direct link on youtube for the press briefings? I don't see one on the main white house site.

Like, are they at a specific time every day?

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitehouse/videos

This channel has them, the press briefings are usually around 1:00 PM EST or so, but can vary depending on the day's schedule.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Where do discussions of any executive orders or other direct executive actions go?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Yesterday I caught a bit of a speech made by Trump to Police Chiefs, a group that I would suppose is more supportive of his tough on crime agenda. Even after repeating the same compliments twice, he only got a anemic round of applause.

I half expected a 'please clap' moment. But I find it funny that he repeats the compliment until you feel compelled to awkwardly clap.

Also asked if there were any cops that didn't support his policies, but then quickly changed topics. I'd like to imagine he saw a bunch of Chiefs beginning to raise their hands.

Police chiefs aren't stupid their goal is to move up the ranks just like any other government employee and part of that is being politically smart. It's the untrained uniformed officers that support Trump not aware that a hammer will fall and all he's providing is a way to avoid it for 4 years ( or two at best).

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Where do discussions of any executive orders or other direct executive actions go?

I would think here?

They're I think pretty related to hearings in most cases =P

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

his style and mannerisms are the worst.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

his style and mannerisms are the worst.

The way he has to wind up his mouth to say certain words ("No" from the debates springs to mind) reminds me of how a dog has to wiggle around first before taking a dump, and the results are often the same as well.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Maybe find a thread* for whatever the order pertains to, ask a mod** if one does not exist?

We've got Cabinet, Mideast, Muslim Ban, SCOTUS, Climate Change. Might be an LGBT / Civil rights thread out there, and I think the labor thread is still open. Might need an immigration/ mexico thread for Wall / Illegal Immigrant stuff; but we've got pretty good issue coverage.

I guess the NSC one would go in Cabinet?

*Not sure*** if thread resurrection is preferable to starting fresh.

**Because there's possibly*** a fine line here where we could hit a megathread inversion with 10 pages active topics.

***Glad I'm not a mod!

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

yeah, i've no interest in watching live. the fact that he cares so much about rating and how many people are paying attention to him just strengthens that feeling. i understand why the media needs to cover it, but i'm not going to contribute to his ego boosting sessions. articles, clips, tweets and threads like this will keep me up to date without having to endure his petulant ramblings.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Do we need a thread about conflicts of interest? There seems to be a lot coming up.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Do we need a thread about conflicts of interest? There seems to be a lot coming up.

This is what I was wondering as well, particularly with Conway ostensibly breaking the law by endorsing Ivanka's products on air.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

This is what I was wondering as well, particularly with Conway ostensibly breaking the law by endorsing Ivanka's products on air.

Also the DoD having to rent space in Trump Tower

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Also the entire DeVos nomination.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Also the entire DeVos nomination.

And the President and Spicer both attacking Nordstrom because they didn't want to sell Ivanka's clothing line anymore.

And on...and on...and on

• Options
    Conway just used her position as administration official to hawk Ivanka's clothing line

that's a clear and blatent violation of ethics laws, though they require enforcement by the Congressional Ethics Committee, which is chaired by head Bengazi witchhunter Jason Chaffetz, so like I said, we no longer have an enforcement body for our country

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Vp0bQAhJ8

Press briefing starting any minute.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Cant the Governor or Mayor use eminent domain and just take the whole tower?

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    it's not just me, it hasn't started yet, right?

• Options

Cant the Governor or Mayor use eminent domain and just take the whole tower?

oh ho ho, you can't use eminent domain on rich people! that's just for regular folks. especially folks who are rich and also the president.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

Yeah, it seems like every day the delay between the scheduled start and when it actually starts gets longer.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

Not the same, but didn't the Clinton's charge SS rent for an office in their house to provide protection post presidency or something?
    Also whats the deal with the need for DoD to have space in Trump Tower?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Yeah, it seems like every day the delay between the scheduled start and when it actually starts gets longer.

The pile of post it notes isn't getting any smaller as time goes on.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

It's on now

This discussion has been closed.