As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Trump Cabinet] thread

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    The Trump Administration
    "We aren't kicking puppies, but we'll make it easier for those who are"

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    "Look man, this administration is for the people, the average joe, the little guy. We don't need this big ass agency keeping a list of people. You know who did that? I don't either, but it couldn't have been good."

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Don't ex-presidents have access to security briefings, if they want them?

Also if Trump were to be impeached for the Russian shit his access/clearance might be revoked as a result.

I've never heard of presidents having access to classified information after leaving office without a need to know.

Like I'm sure when Bill Clinton went to North Korea to negotiate for hostages he would have been given secret or top secret information. But he can't just call up the White House and ask for his copy of the presidential briefing just cause.

Clearances also have a set expiration date. Usually five years for top secret.

He has a clearance by default of being president and there's no revoking it while he's in office as far as I know. The moment he's out of office for any reason though it could be suspended for undue relations with foreign governments.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So I'm guessing that was one of the things that was considered low priority for the librarians trying to back stuff up?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Also if Trump were to be impeached for the Russian shit his access/clearance might be revoked as a result.

I've never heard of presidents having access to classified information after leaving office without a need to know.

Like I'm sure when Bill Clinton went to North Korea to negotiate for hostages he would have been given secret or top secret information. But he can't just call up the White House and ask for his copy of the presidential briefing just cause.

He has a clearance by default of being president and there's no revoking it while he's in office as far as I know. The moment he's out of office for any reason though it could be suspended for undue relations with foreign governments.

In theory, POTUS is cleared for everything, but need to know still applies. The difference is that POTUS decides whether he needs to know (the same is true of Congress iirc? Sitting members of both houses are cleared by virtue of their office for anything... but in their case I think it would need to be a relevant committee declaring need to know to get access?)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

In theory, POTUS is cleared for everything, but need to know still applies. The difference is that POTUS decides whether he needs to know (the same is true of Congress iirc? Sitting members of both houses are cleared by virtue of their office for anything... but in their case I think it would need to be a relevant committee declaring need to know to get access?)

Correct. Congress and senate members, like the president, have a clearance by default of their office. But they have to demonstrate a need to know. The intelligence committee obviously has pretty broad access. Members on the foreign relations and banking committees would instead have different, limited accesses with a bit of overlap.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Correct. Congress and senate members, like the president, have a clearance by default of their office. But they have to demonstrate a need to know. The intelligence committee obviously has pretty broad access. Members on the foreign relations and banking committees would instead have different, limited accesses with a bit of overlap.

I think the intelligence committees basically can get at anything they think necessary? I wonder how the subpoena power interacts with classification actually.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Spoit wrote: »
    So I'm guessing that was one of the things that was considered low priority for the librarians trying to back stuff up?

There's a website called "The Memory Hole 2" that is hosting what they have of the USDA records. Any further records require you to file a Freedom of Information Act request.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

madparrot on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

There's a website called "The Memory Hole 2" that is hosting what they have of the USDA records. Any further records require you to file a Freedom of Information Act request.

I still have a link to the original Memory Hole. It's been long gone, though. I am not ultimately surprised that somebody brought it back for our new leader and his orange muppet.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I think that goes more in the corruption thread.

Which is probably the default choice...

• Options
    Of course

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I think that goes more in the corruption thread.

Which is probably the default choice...

Coverage of it can go in this thread until such a time as which he withdraws himself from consideration as secretary because of allegations of corruptahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA who am I kidding

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    That story's update is "Pudzer's people have assured us that it's only $900,000 and he just lied on the financial disclosure forms." Jesus, this cabinet.

Anyway I'm sure not a damn thing is going to happen. "Conflict of interest?" says the administration with its head cocked sideways in puzzlement. "This serves our interests perfectly."

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    SNL really should have come up with the idea of Kate McKinnon playing Sessions before he was confirmed. Trump might have changed his mind.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    That story's update is "Pudzer's people have assured us that it's only $900,000 and he just lied on the financial disclosure forms." Jesus, this cabinet.

Anyway I'm sure not a damn thing is going to happen. "Conflict of interest?" says the administration with its head cocked sideways in puzzlement. "This serves out interests perfectly."

Conflict of interest is when you can't decide which bribe to take.

VishNub on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    mark calabria is an austrian goldbug

oh boy

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Sitting down to read a bit tonight, I see a strangely familiar passage in King Henry the Sixth part I.
    But howsoe'er, no simple man that sees
    This jarring discord of nobility,
    This shouldering of each other in the court,
    This factious bandying of their favorites,
    But that he doth presage some ill event.

Tis much when scepters are in children's hands;
    But more when envy breeds unkind division;
    There comes the ruin, there begins confusion.

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Would a thread for more Kremlinology/internal administrative disfunction stuff be appropriate?

There are a bunch of rumors about a staff shake up. Bannon's people and Priebus's people are still blaming the other.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/donald-trump-challenges-governing-presidency-234879
    For all of Trump’s frustrations about staff drama however, it isn’t clear they’re going away any time soon. Tensions remain between the staffs of chief of staff Reince Priebus and Bannon. Priebus’s advisers blamed Bannon’s team for the botched rollout of the travel ban executive order, saying that they hadn’t done the needed legwork ahead of time.

I feel like the Cabinet/Administration Staff are one and the same. Nobody has a real job description, everyone is flailing around blaming each other for their fuckups, and Trump and the inner circle thinks everyone is out to get them. The Cabinet can hardly be considered an outer orbit of this sphere of entropy; they're already getting 3 AM phone calls and sitting in diplomatic meetings with Kushner. There doesn't appear to be a meaningful internal appreciation of formal vs informal advisory roles.

Anyway this article is the kind of DC gossip mag trash I drink up like sweet nectar (thanks again, politico!). And this:
    Kushner, who is among Trump’s most trusted advisers, has been incensed by reports that New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who has ripped the White House over its implementation of Trump’s executive order restricting travel from seven predominantly Muslim countries, is telling people that he expects to enter the White House as part of a “second wave” of staffers that will replace initial hires. Kushner has long had tensions with Christie and played a key role in blocking him from getting a senior job in the administration.

Cackling.

Hahaha, sure you will Chris, sure you will. One day master will throw Dobby a sock!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This afternoon I watched Lego Batman and it was delightful and then afterward I saw Mnuchin listed as a producer.

And I was all, "Wow, there are two Steve Mnuchins, what are the odds!"

But nope, same Mnuchin.

Stay out of my fucking movies, Steve.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    This afternoon I watched Lego Batman and it was delightful and then afterward I saw Mnuchin listed as a producer.

But nope, same Mnuchin.

I've got bad news about say, Fury Road.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    FYI Betsy DeVos was heavily involved in the Detroit charter school movement

Edit: additional info

JoeUser on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Betsy DeVos seems like exactly the type that always wondered "If their schools are so bad why don't they just go to better ones?" without putting any effort into figuring out the answer.

Now she's the Secretary of Education!

Anything is possible, children.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    wazilla wrote: »
    Betsy DeVos seems like exactly the type that always wondered "If their schools are so bad why don't they just go to better ones?" without putting any effort into figuring out the answer.

tbf I've never been more convinced that anyone could become president

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Anything but improvement, yes.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Heh. Even pro-Trump posters openly say that DeVos is a grifter that knows nothing about education and that the only reason why anybody gives a shit about charter schools is for being able to buy white flight. Of course, the next step after charter schools turned out to be awful is to homeschool. Quite honestly, the latter can't be helped since parents with money or willing to reduce their budget will always find a way to get their kids to the "good schools" but not a single cent of taxpayer money should be given for it, since most of it goes to scammers like DeVos so they can suck the blood out of the public school system. You see, if there's no "bad schools", just a bunch of mediocre ones, there's no problem.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

But nope, same Mnuchin.

The entire administration is like a fat gross tick that just wants to suck either money or happiness out of anything good or right in the world.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

tbf I've never been more convinced that anyone could become president

this is more inspiring than if Clinton had won

remember kids, even if you're a mentally-ill narcissist with no qualifications and the temperament of a colicky infant, you too can become president

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    A

rockrnger on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

tbf I've never been more convinced that any man could become president

There we go.

• Options
    I have friends who teach in Detroit. It's so much worse than you can possibly imagine.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular

Well, maybe not for you children. Not once DeVos is done "overhauling" the school system.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    My prediction is that DeVos pushes a national voucher program and also does nothing to address the growing problem of public universities doing fuck all about their predator culture/sexual assault epidemic.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    My prediction is that DeVos pushes a national voucher program and also does nothing to address the growing problem of public universities doing fuck all about their predator culture/sexual assault epidemic.

I mean, that's a pretty safe bet.

To make it interesting, I'd say she's down for a complete Title IX rewrite or repeal without replacement. All that pesky equality getting in the way of everything. Why, if schools didn't have to make sure that women or people with disabilities were in the classroom or in after school programs or sports then schools would have all kinds of money to pay for things. Imagine if we could just cut out that bottom 25% of students right out of the school then everyone would be doing so much better.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Looks like there may be some nomination problems incoming

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    KetBra wrote: »

Looks like there may be some nomination problems incoming

Well, we've had multiple times where repub senators have said they won't support the nominees, and then they support them anyways. So until and unless they actually act on it, they can shove their playacting at being anything other than a party stooge up their ass.

Edit: Collins and Murkowski actually seem to act on their assertions, the rest fall almost entirely along party lines regardless of what they say they're going to do, or how much they say they don't think candidates are qualified for the job.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Breaking: 4 Democrats decide they suddenly have some room open to the right and get scootin'

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Also anti-evolution, more religion, and we're already seeing that they're not super interested in enforcing IDEA.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Get ready to have the vast majority of schools become basically vocational schools from 6th grade up. We can't have business spending money on training people, that's the schools job now.

This discussion has been closed.