As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Congress CXV: Absurdly long special election edition

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Einzel wrote: »
    Local turd farmer, Tom Cotton, is having a town hall tonight and I might just go. The question I've been rolling around in my head is along the lines of "Why are you choosing party over country with your rubber stamp confirmation votes for those who have given you money rather than those who are qualified?" If we had much coal industry here I'd ask about the repealing of the clean stream dealy.

If you want to ask about clean streams, coach it in terms of outdoor sportsmanship.

"You voted to repeal Clean Stream Protection, what are you planning to do to keep Arkansas' fisherman from getting sick when they eat what they catch? How are you going to compensate local businesses that focus on fish and game sport, who need clean water for the fish and game to, you know, not die off?"

You could also hit the jobs angle in how the reguations require additional waste transport. The extra costs ARE jobs, not fees paid to the government.

E: I say this because the environmental angle, and liabilities therein, were status quo not too long ago. That system already worked in their minds.

Unfortunately, sometimes government jobs don't count as jobs to people who are on this part of the political spectrum

These are Real(TM) jobs. Commercial shipping contractors, red-blooded americans all.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah waste disposal is mainly private contracting in my experience.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    The outdoors/fishing angle is the best one, IMO. They're already getting pressure from that direction. The other argument is too complicated, plus government jobs don't count.

• Options
    Well outdoors fishing is a major reason I was appalled at the change. Like I like to go out doors, I like to fish. Its not some "I'm working an angle to get what I really want" being able to fish and enjoy the outdoors is literally my angle.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Likewise.

I've been to CA gold country. Those rivers still haven't recovered fully. It's been like a hundred years since they stopped hydro mining.

But, I spend some (ok a lot of) time on heavily R fishing forums, and that's what would appeal to them.

• Options
    I'm trying to think how I'd fire back at you if I had no soul. This rule hasn't even, or has barely, gone into effect (<60 days old, right?), he can throw environmental concerns right back in your face by pointing out how it hasn't been a problem, he's been fishing those streams all his life, etc. All he has to is defend the status quo, and that's going to ring true for anyone who hasn't reeled in a three eyed fish.

Hitting him on private sector jobs is easy, and succinctly put:
    'With this rule, mining companies simply have to truck waste a little further (100 feet?) from the streams we fish in, creating private sector jobs in the process. Without this rule, every ton of coal extracted will provide fewer hard working americans with an honest paycheck.'

That's weasel worded, as it assumes no change in production and thus implies net job growth, but sounds true.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The key would be to dig up a story behind why the rule was put in place in the first place, and relate it back to fishing if it is so relatable.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    WaPo local news desk coverage of Brat's townhall includes a video of the crowd (in a hilariously tiny room) if you'd like to check it out. Am also loving the headline: The women got up in Brat’s grill, and then some

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/the-women-got-up-in-brats-grill-and-then-some/2017/02/21/9e8db1fa-f855-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_no-name:homepage/story&amp;utm_term=.ecebeda20300
    Blackstone Mayor Billy Coleburn acted as an emcee, reading written questions collected from the crowd. Asked “Do you deny climate change?” Brat said “No, the climate changes all the time.” His apparent attempt at levity angered the crowd, prompting some to yell “Answer the question!”
    Asked how as a fiscal conservative Brat could justify the cost of the wall along the southern border promised by Trump — estimated to cost between $15 billion and $25 billion — Brat said, “The answer is ‘easily.’ ”

“Then you pay for it!” a woman in the audience shot back.
    “I want to get the power out of D.C. and Wall Street and back to Main Street,” Brat said. To which a man yelled, “Wall Street’s in the Cabinet now.”

Real time reality checking of a troll I love it

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's funny how much this looks like 2009-2010 in some respects.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    WaPo has another article on that Bart townhall

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/at-a-town-hall-in-trump-country-an-america-thats-pleading-to-be-heard/2017/02/22/09b22498-f860-11e6-bf01-d47f8cf9b643_story.html

For some reason I love this description:
    “This is a female-driven movement,” said Alsuin Preis, 44, an Irishwoman who became a U.S. citizen in August and lives in Richmond. “These are female concerns. We were shocked, stunned and horrified that the nerdy, informed woman was pushed aside for the infantile man-boy.”

Good ending to the article:
    The town hall went just a few minutes past the scheduled end time of 8 p.m. Before the last question, Brat tried to lighten the mood by asking, “Anybody got a good joke?”

“You!” attendees yelled outside.

I really hope this energy keeps up.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

It's basically bizarro-2009

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Well the GOP gave us the blueprint. And now its time to feed it back to them.

Even better the dems don't have to astro turf their shit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    It's the same Tea Party strategy, which was very effective

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Also having facts and actually wanting to DO something should help.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Also having facts and actually wanting to DO something should help.

Yeah this is what makes it easier and more news worthy. Add to the fact Trump and the GOP have been giving the media the finger they are basically asking for coverage of these events.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Problem with the lack of astroturfing is that there isn't necessarily a force to turn these protests into votes. The benefit of a puppetmaster is that they make a plan that has a beginning, middle, and end. The fear is that this ends up like an Underpants Gnome plan like Occupy Wall Street: "1) Get super pissed off 2) ???? 3) Socioeconomic Justice!"

The movement needs someone to exist who makes sure "show up at all elections and vote straight Dem" is the answer at point two.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Problem with the lack of astroturfing is that there isn't necessarily a force to turn these protests into votes. The benefit of a puppetmaster is that they make a plan that has a beginning, middle, and end. The fear is that this ends up like an Underpants Gnome plan like Occupy Wall Street: "1) Get super pissed off 2) ???? 3) Socioeconomic Justice!"

The movement needs someone to exist who makes sure "show up at all elections and vote straight Dem" is the answer at point two.

provided the democratic party isn't completely fucking stupid, they'll look at all these pissed-off people and turn them into voters and activists

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Republicans needed to elect a monster who wants to destroy their healthcare, anyone non-white and christian and male and the US's standing as a world power.

All the Democrats needed to do was elect a black man.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Any time an R starts complaining about their meetings being disrupted, the response should be, "Payback's a bitch, huh?" or, if you are not as mean, "Turnabout is fair play, right?" Because seriously, people who can't take what they dish are the worst type of asshole.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Well outdoors fishing is a major reason I was appalled at the change. Like I like to go out doors, I like to fish. Its not some "I'm working an angle to get what I really want" being able to fish and enjoy the outdoors is literally my angle.

Then it's absolutely the angle you should take. You'll be able to name specific fishing areas, and the fish you catch, and ask how you will be able to be sure that they are safe to eat considering a specific mining facility is now allowed to dump toxic levels of waste.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Any time an R starts complaining about their meetings being disrupted, the response should be, "Payback's a bitch, huh?" or, if you are not as mean, "Turnabout is fair play, right?" Because seriously, people who can't take what they dish are the worst type of asshole.

Nah, I don't know if we want to claim moral equivalence between pubs stonewalling everything Obama tried to do our if spite, and dems trying to prevent the fabric of society from unraveling.

I think a preferable response is "if you want people to stop yelling at you, stop trying to do horrible things."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »

provided the democratic party isn't completely fucking stupid, they'll look at all these pissed-off people and turn them into voters and activists

So, we're doomed, then.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I was in a funk this afternoon so I didn't go, but I'm proud of my neighbors for bringing their A games.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tom-cotton-town-hall-arkansas_us_58ae22e7e4b057efdce8e110
    The last question went to a 7-year-old boy concerned about Trump’s proposed wall along the U.S.-Mexico border and his reported plan to cut funds for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

“Donald Trump makes Mexicans not important to people who are in Arkansas who like Mexicans, like me,” said the boy. “He’s deleting all the parts in PBS Kids just to make a wall. He’s going to do that. He shouldn’t. He shouldn’t do all that stuff just for a wall.”

Einzel on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

The media started running with the story once the protesters were old and white?

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Man, so the Tom Cotton stuff was savage. Here's another good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyFa4FIcDo0&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=4032

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    NBC News's Brad Jaffy shows us what a coward Louis Gohmert is

None of these town halls have been violent.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

He really shouldn't be asking Dems to give counter examples to that, and no one has shown any proof that there are paid protesters at these events.
    Because they're lying.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The best part of 2016 for me was moving out of Gohmert's district. He shoves his foot so far into his mouth so often it comes out the other end. He accomplishes nothing in Congress and still gets 75% of the votes on re-election. He doesn't need to do town halls.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular

He really shouldn't be asking Dems to give counter examples to that, and no one has shown any proof that there are paid protesters at these events.
    Because they're lying.
    Who gives a shit? These are the people controlling the country now! :)
    I like the implication that one should beware the libruls because they might shoot you though... :wink:

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

Because they're lying.
    I like the implication that one should beware the libruls because they might shoot you though... :wink:

Hey now, there's a small chance it could happen. I'm one of those mystical unicorn libtard gun owners.

Granted, it's a large caliber deer rifle that you could see from a mile away without optics, so not really practical to carry and conceal, but I do own one.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Dems should come after any and all Congress critters that are avoiding these town halls when their re-election comes up. Just run ads showing that they hid from their constituents as often as they can. I don't care if it's the reddest of red districts / states, hammer at them. They cannot be allowed to just ignore their constituents' concerns like this.

And as far as "paid protesters" goes. L. O. L. Anyone who would pay for protests against Trump and the Republican party is an idiot. You never pay someone for something they're happy to do for free. And there are a lot of people who don't like the Pubs now.

Zomro on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Zomro wrote: »
    Anyone who would pay for protests against Trump and the Republican party is an idiot. You never pay someone for something they're happy to do for free. And there are a lot of people who don't like the Pubs now.

Hell, my own House rep, I'd contribute $10 to his campaign for the chance to ask him a couple of pointed questions on camera and hammer for an actual answer on the record.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Further evidence the GOP is using loaded rhetoric on purpose:

The simple fact is that, even if they're not consciously aware of it, they're dehumanizing everyone that's not them in order to legitimize their actions and to delegitimize opposition to their actions. There are ways to address criticism without making your opponent into a non-human, yet they continue to do so. This is not normal.

Coordinated with the WH or not, coordinated with the RNC or not, coordinated with local and state party machines or not, these Reps and Senators need to find their spines and quick. Not for their party, but for the republic itself. No democratic society can suffer long under the assumption that everyone not part of one side is illegitimate. That is how dictators are born. That is how civil wars are ignited. The path forward from these events is not a good one if individuals within the GOP cannot find the courage to correct this course of events.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options

The simple fact is that, even if they're not consciously aware of it, they're dehumanizing everyone that's not them in order to legitimize their actions and to delegitimize opposition to their actions. There are ways to address criticism without making your opponent into a non-human, yet they continue to do so. This is not normal.

Coordinated with the WH or not, coordinated with the RNC or not, coordinated with local and state party machines or not, these Reps and Senators need to find their spines and quick. Not for their party, but for the republic itself. No democratic society can suffer long under the assumption that everyone not part of one side is illegitimate. That is how dictators are born. That is how civil wars are ignited. The path forward from these events is not a good one if individuals within the GOP cannot find the courage to correct this course of events.

Dear nearly every congress person in America

Your constiuents are the people in your district, not just the ones that voted for you.

And yes: That sometimes means 25-33% are liberals; even in deep red zones.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Dear nearly every congress person in America

Your constiuents are the people in your district, not just the ones that voted for you.

And yes: That sometimes means 25-33% are liberals; even in deep red zones.

She's not saying that people who didn't vote for her are not her constituents. She's claiming that Liberals were organizing people from outside the district to take up space so constituents couldn't get in. A claim that she has no proof of, and which Anderson never pressed her on (in the clip presented, at least).

That's the lie they're going to stick with, because it's hard to prove or disprove.

• Options
    I just love that the GOP is accusing democrats of stuff they probably engaged in. It's abuser logic "Well I do this, so they must do it too"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

Because they're lying.

Hey now, there's a small chance it could happen. I'm one of those mystical unicorn libtard gun owners.

Granted, it's a large caliber deer rifle that you could see from a mile away without optics, so not really practical to carry and conceal, but I do own one.

Let's not entertain these frivolous and dangerous fantasies, ok? We don't need to stoop to the right's level.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So the plan looks to be for Congress not to do any major infrastructure bill this year.

https://www.axios.com/the-backup-plan-on-trumps-infrastructure-package-2280024749.html
    The Capitol Hill calendar is way overstuffed — a Supreme Court nomination, plus Obamacare repeal legislation; tax reform; and budget, spending and debt-ceiling fights, including a possible showdown over a government shutdown.

So Republican sources tell us that a backup plan is emerging for one of Trump's top priorities:

The plan: Push off until next year any consideration of the massive infrastructure plan Trump wants to push for roads, airports and other big projects, giving Republican lawmakers more breathing room amid a crowd of issues that'll require massive effort, time and political capital.

The politics: Republican strategists say that Democrats, who'll be reluctant to give Trump a win, will be in a jam as midterm elections close in: They'll be under huge pressure to support big projects that'll bring money and improvements to their districts. And blue-collar unions, including construction and building trades, can be expected to favor of the package, driving a wedge into the Democratic base.

What this shows: Trump officials, who originally wanted to flood the Capitol zone with their massive asks, are learning the rhythms of Washington — playing what White House counselor Kellyanne Conway last night called on Fox News "long ball, long haul."
    What happens when Democrats demand a much bigger infrastructure spending bill like the $1 trillion plan they offered last month and using that as an attack line against the conservatives offering a much smaller plan that is mostly tax breaks?

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »

Because they're lying.

Let's not entertain these frivolous and dangerous fantasies, ok? We don't need to stoop to the right's level.

I agree wholeheartedly, just pointing out that one side doesn't have a monopoly on the capability to commit such an action. Even with my own life being threatened I don't know if I could shoot another person.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Wrong thread

nexuscrawler on
This discussion has been closed.