As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo] Finished Zelda? Why don't you play...hang on, gimme a second...

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    First pack sounds like it should have been in the base game so $20 for one extra dungeon is ehh.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I like dlc in adventure games more than fighting games

The latter often leads to weird shit with the meta (see: the saga of bayonetta)

The former is best embodied by the witcher: it's another chronicle of geralt's many adventures

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    With games like Mario Kart and Smash, I'm all for the paid DLC. The main content of those games is baked in from day 1 and additional courses on top of the 32 standard or additional fighters on top of a stacked roster is just giving me reasons to go back to a game I've already enjoyed immensely. I'm a lot less sold on story DLC or feature updates in adventure games or shooters because I want what I buy to be the complete package. All the features and places to explore should be in the $60 product that I already bought.

I'm curious why this doesn't go the other way

Why aren't people demanding that Cloud, Ryu, and Bayonetta should have been in the base game for Smash

Why's that okay and a new dungeon and sidestory for Zelda isn't

There's an assumption there that the additional stuff for Smash and Mario Kart is "just" additional, and this stuff for Zelda isn't

Not a gotcha thing, just maybe see if you can articulate this, because to my mind it is the exact same thing, a reason to go back

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    With games like Mario Kart and Smash, I'm all for the paid DLC. The main content of those games is baked in from day 1 and additional courses on top of the 32 standard or additional fighters on top of a stacked roster is just giving me reasons to go back to a game I've already enjoyed immensely. I'm a lot less sold on story DLC or feature updates in adventure games or shooters because I want what I buy to be the complete package. All the features and places to explore should be in the $60 product that I already bought.

They are. This is just extra.

But I do totally agree. Imagine one of the listed DLC was, like, "With the Holiday 2017 content, experience the whole game of Breath of the Wild as Impa, with a unique combat style and moveset distinctly different from Link's".

That is the kind of DLC I love. Dishonored 2 came with that baked in. Mass Effect had six options! Kind of. It's actually the thing that attracted me to Hyrule Warriors in the first place.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    First pack sounds like it should have been in the base game so $20 for one extra dungeon is ehh.

yeah if the first is just uh

cave of trials, which I thought was a standard feature of zelda games?

a hard mode (does that mean no hard mode in base game or is this harder than hard?)

and an unknown upgrade to the functionality of the in game map

then that's not very exciting at all

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

Yeah, "new hard mode and a feature for the in game map" sounds more like "we didn't finish those on time for launch"

And I know games are always working on DLC before launch and they have separate budgets for it, but that first pack just doesn't sound like dlc they actually expect people to pay for, so that's why you can only get the season pass and not the separate packs

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Why aren't people demanding that Cloud, Ryu, and Bayonetta should have been in the base game for Smash

There's an assumption there that the additional stuff for Smash and Mario Kart is "just" additional, and this stuff for Zelda isn't

Not a gotcha thing, just maybe see if you can articulate this, because to my mind it is the exact same thing, a reason to go back

For me it's because games like Smash and Mario Kart aren't "start to finish" experiences, they're continual. You keep playing the same basic content over and over and both of those games had plenty of base content for those purposes. Selling additional content later doesn't feel cheap because I can (and did) skip characters I don't care about and only buy stuff that appeals to me, without changing the experience whatsoever.

For a game that's got a defined beginning and end and that can ostensibly be "completed" it feels way more exploitative to say "oh but you didn't complete it because here's a bunch of additional stuff that continues the game but you gotta pay more for it." Just make a sequel if you want to tell more stories. Make another complete game. Don't sell me it piecemeal.

In summary, due to how the games are structured and what the gameplay experience is like, DLC characters and courses for continual play games feel like bonuses (provided the original game felt content-heavy enough at least) in a way that DLC story content for a more packaged experience game does not.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Link's adventures in Oolacile.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    With hard mode being DLC, it'll hopefully be more than just enemies doing double damage, which it pretty is in most Zelda games with a hard mode.

• Options
    Got my 128GB micro SD card in today

Bring on the Switch

Why is it still 17 days away

I'm planning to buy any games that I can physical, so that 128 should hopefully last me the lifetime of the system on the smaller indie games

@UnbreakableVow which one did you get, and how much was it?

I should really get on getting one of those

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Got my 128GB micro SD card in today

Bring on the Switch

Why is it still 17 days away

I'm planning to buy any games that I can physical, so that 128 should hopefully last me the lifetime of the system on the smaller indie games

@UnbreakableVow which one did you get, and how much was it?

I should really get on getting one of those

The Samsung Evo Select, it's $40 on Amazon

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    I recommend only getting Samsung or SanDisk SD cards. There are probably a couple other brands that are reliable, but most of the ones you typically see on sale tend to be on sale for a reason--unreliability. I've had so many SD cards just randomly stop being recognized a few months after I get them. One actually caused my phone to lock up until I removed it. In my experience, those two brands are the only ones that have been reliable.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Oh yeah, one thing that lets you know plans to make for storage

That leaked documentation from yesterday says the largest size one of those carts for Switch games gets is 32 gigs

Now, that documentation is from last July, so they may have changed that, but still

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I thought the largest cart a switch could take was 2T? or 1T? they casually talked about it in the treehouse after the revel of the machine

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I thought the largest cart a switch could take was 2T? or 1T? they casually talked about it in the treehouse after the revel of the machine

From a file storage format perspective 2 TB would be a natural limit but that's a theoretical/technical limitation and not a practical one. They aren't _making_ carts that big, so it's a moot point.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

He's talking about the capacity of the Switch's cartridges/games, not the SD cards.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Also, while there's a theoretical limit of 2TB for the sd cards, that's just the maximum file capacity for SDXC

the practical limit right now is more, what, 512GB? I don't think there's a 1TB out yet.

also, the 512GB one is going to put you back three hundred buckaroos

they're not the cheapest things, and at the high end cost twice as much as SSDs

on the other hand 256GB SDXC looks to just be roundabout a hundred dollars, so

• Options
    Polygon wrote:
    Nintendo has yet to detail Virtual Console plans for its new console, the Switch, but in a recent interview with French publication Melty, the company dropped a pretty hefty hint. Following rumors of GameCube games coming to the Switch, deputy general manager Yoshiaki Koizumi teased that the company was working on something along those lines.

“We can not really answer with precision because we have not announced anything about it at this time,” Koizumi said about GameCube titles coming to Virtual Console. “What I can tell you is that we are working on things that go in that direction.”

He neglected to detail what those “things” are, but the connection to the GameCube is clear. General manager Shinya Takahashi talked more about the GameCube’s possible future on the Switch, which could come in the form of controller attachments. If Nintendo released GameCube-style Joy-Con peripherals, Takahashi explained, the company would be sure to include analog triggers.
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/14/14609636/gamecube-games-on-virtual-console

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Still I would like the VC games I got on the WIIU to port up to the switch and I know that is a pipe dream

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    How dare theu try new things

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Still I would like the VC games I got on the WIIU to port up to the switch and I know that is a pipe dream

I'm expecting it to be a repeat of Wii to Wii U, where it transfers, but you have to pay an upgrade fee to get the updated VC version.

Except, because Switch doesn't backwards compatibility we'll have to wait for them to slowly release the old games for a third time before getting to pay the upgrade fee.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The Zelda season pass sounds awesome

• Options
    I'll get it when I get details on what that stuff actually is

It's a lot more nebulous than the Mario Kart stuff, which was a very plain and simple "this pack has Zelda stuff, this pack has Animal Crossing stuff"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

For me it's because games like Smash and Mario Kart aren't "start to finish" experiences, they're continual. You keep playing the same basic content over and over and both of those games had plenty of base content for those purposes. Selling additional content later doesn't feel cheap because I can (and did) skip characters I don't care about and only buy stuff that appeals to me, without changing the experience whatsoever.

For a game that's got a defined beginning and end and that can ostensibly be "completed" it feels way more exploitative to say "oh but you didn't complete it because here's a bunch of additional stuff that continues the game but you gotta pay more for it." Just make a sequel if you want to tell more stories. Make another complete game. Don't sell me it piecemeal.

In summary, due to how the games are structured and what the gameplay experience is like, DLC characters and courses for continual play games feel like bonuses (provided the original game felt content-heavy enough at least) in a way that DLC story content for a more packaged experience game does not.

Smash Bros 4 also had a lot of content to it from the get go, I don't know how anyone could look at Smash and go "Well clearly they cut Cloud from the main game to pad out DLC".

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular

IT'S TOO LATE I'M PANICKING

side note: I was browsing this thread earlier and my five year old daughter walked in and saw Bagel's avatar and got super stoked

"That turtle is spinning on that bar! Look at all the flips!"

• Options
    The content of my posts may be garbage, but at least I look good doing it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I just snagged a Classic off Walmart's app before it sold out

• Options
    The Pokemon thread has become something very specific, so I'm putting this here

Pokemon Go is getting 80 Gen II Pokemon this week

and yes, lots of people still play Pokemon Go

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Peewi wrote: »

I'm expecting it to be a repeat of Wii to Wii U, where it transfers, but you have to pay an upgrade fee to get the updated VC version.

Except, because Switch doesn't backwards compatibility we'll have to wait for them to slowly release the old games for a third time before getting to pay the upgrade fee.

I forgot about that since using the WII menu to play WII games on the WIIU was ugly

• Options
    Also I know I am a silly person owning 4 3ds's but I didn't know and now I am obsessively looking at my machines for flaws and differences
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tj7KhKPMg8

• Options
    I don't see what's so silly about four 3DS's.

*Eyes a stack of three 3DS's, two DS's, a Gameboy SP, GameBoy Advance, and a Gameboy Color in the corner*

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I just found that I still have my original DS

Gosh the original DS was just a hideous thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Well it's disappointing when you go to a streetpass location and only get yourself X3

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Yup. yup, I wanna stick the Master Sword in Artorias.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Yup. yup, I wanna stick the Master Sword in Artorias.

new euphemisms for the win

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Yeah we all want to fuck artorias buddy

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Polygon wrote:
    Nintendo has yet to detail Virtual Console plans for its new console, the Switch, but in a recent interview with French publication Melty, the company dropped a pretty hefty hint. Following rumors of GameCube games coming to the Switch, deputy general manager Yoshiaki Koizumi teased that the company was working on something along those lines.

“We can not really answer with precision because we have not announced anything about it at this time,” Koizumi said about GameCube titles coming to Virtual Console. “What I can tell you is that we are working on things that go in that direction.”

He neglected to detail what those “things” are, but the connection to the GameCube is clear. General manager Shinya Takahashi talked more about the GameCube’s possible future on the Switch, which could come in the form of controller attachments. If Nintendo released GameCube-style Joy-Con peripherals, Takahashi explained, the company would be sure to include analog triggers.
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/14/14609636/gamecube-games-on-virtual-console
    i'd pay a lot of money for double dash with LAN functionality intact

make it happen nintendo

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    Finished the first chapter in Thousand Year Door and god this game is so good

The way they do the first boss is so weird and cool

The secret weakness he has is finding a badge that changes your hammer sound effects!

He jumps out into the audience and starts eating audience members and you finish the fight out there!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

The Wii U is going out with a bang y'all

This discussion has been closed.