As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Linux Linux ELL OH ELL

1235»

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just got a dual-boot with Ubuntu 7.04 and WindowsXP up and running!

I'm trying to figure out how to follow the instructions here on how to improve the fonts:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_improve_sub-pixel_font_rendering_for_Feisty

I honestly can't figure out exactly what to do though. Does anyone know what to do here?

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    oh it doesn't support 1280x1024? Oh, that sounds good. Sounds really good.
    Fantastic.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Having used linux in the workplace for the last two years, I finally made the jump and switched full time. Being on the PPC distro means I'm not running an official release, but who fucking cares about that shit?
    I'm pretty stoked. As of last night I can access all the mp3s on my HFS+ volume (for mac os) and I've got it playing AAC files too.

But has anyone with an ibook/macbook gotten wifi to work with WPA yet?
    I've got wifi working, and I can join a WEP or unencrypted network, but it seems to hate WPA.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    ChairwalkerChairwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I like ubuntu, it's just a shame i cant get stupid wine to work fullscreen.

Chairwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I like ubuntu, it's just a shame i cant get stupid wine to work fullscreen.

If you're just going to use windows, why install it at all?
    I mean, you can always reboot if something actually requires you to be using windows.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm kind of tempted to put Fedora Core on my new laptop.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Weaver wrote: »

Why Red Hat?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm a huge Ubuntu fan. I tried Kubuntu and found it very pretty, but not as nice as Ubuntu in terms of ease of use. Not sure why, just the impression I got (only used Kubuntu for about 2 weeks).

misbehavin on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The difference is most a gnome vs KDE thing.

KDE is prettier, but gnome is simpler. I personally prefer starting with KDE and stripping out all the extra shit, but Gnome is a nice minimalist interface.

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Weretaco wrote: »
    The difference is most a gnome vs KDE thing.

KDE is prettier, but gnome is simpler. I personally prefer starting with KDE and stripping out all the extra shit, but Gnome is a nice minimalist interface.

I'm inclined to agree. KDE has a much more polished feel, but gnome runs so much faster.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Manifest wrote: »
    Having used linux in the workplace for the last two years, I finally made the jump and switched full time. Being on the PPC distro means I'm not running an official release, but who fucking cares about that shit?
    I'm pretty stoked. As of last night I can access all the mp3s on my HFS+ volume (for mac os) and I've got it playing AAC files too.

I've got wifi working, and I can join a WEP or unencrypted network, but it seems to hate WPA.

WPA is not supported very well at all.

at all. as in, stop trying.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Why Red Hat?

I already have a copy of it and have played around with it some.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Stale wrote: »

WPA is not supported very well at all.

at all. as in, stop trying.

Nah, there are ways to get it working.
    I installed bcm43xx-fwcutter, and wifi-radar, then edited my /etc/networking/interfaces to set eth0 to my network, and had it going for like 15 minutes last night before it crapped out.
    I've just got to get it working reliably. I don't want to open my network up to leeches just so I can surf the internet from the toilet.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Why Red Hat?

I already have a copy of it and have played around with it some.

You can freely download any linux distro.
    ubuntu.com has links to the new version (fiesty) which I believe has the ability to let you see your windows partition.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So all you linux guys, I'm thinking of getting back into it. I haven't played with linux since like 98 though.

I have a P3 550 with 512 Mb ram desktop and a Compaq Proliant (P2 500 x2, 1 Gb PC-133) server. What should I put on each of these?

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Depends, what do you want to do with them?

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I like Ubuntu but whenever I try to install 7.04 before the install finishes something happens to my keyboard

the keyboard will freeze up and keep autorepeating whatever the last key I pressed wasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

like that, and nothing fixes it (even unplugging the keyboard!) short of restarting the machine

and 6.10 doesn't have my network drivers, fuck if I'm going to jump through the required hoops to get around THAT

:(

Ledneh on
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    At this moment just fuck around and learn linux again. I couldn't care less about the crappy little desktop unit, but eventually I'd like to actually use the server as a little webserver so I can host all my useless crap.

Back in the day I used to play around with Mandrake. It kinda sucked back then, and it probably still sucks, no?

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg