As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: It's (sold) Out!

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Holy shit yes I need another RH game in my life

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I looked up rh and I was thinking of some other game

For the gba and something else I think? It was a jrpg but I can't recall the name at all

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Our Switch lives in the dock, so I don't care about special edition tablets. I might buy an unhealthy number of joycons, though.

Yeah but if they go so far as to decorate the tablet.. wouldn't they also decorate the dock too then? I doubt I'd be able to resist an all black dock with a gold triforce in the middle, or something of the sort. Although they could also sell those seperate now that I think about it.

Edit: unrelated, Best Buy's website updated with new Switch orders about 7 hours ago. It sold out in around 3 or 4 minutes. So re-stocks are happening. It may be worth a shot to call around to a few BB's before you set your sights on Gamestop.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Wow it actually took me a moment to process that. My brain was insisting it was a Bravely Default teaser because it just seemed so unlikely that we would actually get another Radiant Historia.

It's a deserving series. Best traditional styled jrpg since the days of Chrono Trigger in my opinion. Track down a copy if you can.

I just hope they stick with sprites. I really don't think it'd benefit from going 3d.

Road Block on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Alright, finally stuck the straps to my joycons for the first time. It's not as bad as people were making it out to be. A little force needed, but nothing that makes it feels like it's gonna break it.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Alright, finally stuck the straps to my joycons for the first time. It's not as bad as people were making it out to be. A little force needed, but nothing that makes it feels like it's gonna break it.

The talk of all the force required was because people were putting them on backwards.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    That Gamestop console trade in exchange rate is....not kind.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

The talk of all the force required was because people were putting them on backwards.

Yes, but taking them off even if they're on properly takes more force than seems normal. The stupid plastic lock thing is very finicky.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Now that it's come out the switch is just using a stock, downclocked tegra x1 my desire to get one has kinda plummeted. Nintendo's great at using underpowered hardware so I'm sure they'll do amazing things with it, but the price feels like a slap in the face when all they've really done is taken an Nvidia shield TV, slapped A cheap plastic screen on it, slowed it down and called it a day. :bigfrown:

You mean the thing that sells for $200 and doesn't have a touch screen (or any screen at all), 2 Joy-Con, cables, etc?

The Shield TV isn't in any way a portable console, and it also throttles from heat to the same speeds as the Switch. Hence just slowing it down. Also the Pro version is $299.99 and still has no screen.

Edit: Also the Switch doesn't have a "cheap plastic screen". It has a quite beautiful IPS screen.
    Edit2: The Switch is also SMALLER than the Shield TV.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Figgy wrote: »

Yes, but taking them off even if they're on properly takes more force than seems normal. The stupid plastic lock thing is very finicky.

I've only done it once or twice. To be honest I actually prefer the joycons without the strap.

Edit: I've got big manhands too. It's not about the size, it's about the fact that with the strap on the trigger button digs into my palm, with it off it fits in between my index and middle finger.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Hey!

I need some advice. What's a good case for this thing? I'm sure everyone has different opinions of course, but for me I'm not too worried as long as it's protected from every day bumps and bruises so I can take it with me places without worrying too much. It would be nice to get a case that fit the AC Adapter as well in case I need to charge it while out and about. I usually like harder cases, but they aren't always the way forward, and I'm not really interested in cases that hold the entire thing including the dock since I'll almost never want to carry absolutely everything with me.

Seriously, I'm just really unsure what to get.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Hey!

I need some advice. What's a good case for this thing? I'm sure everyone has different opinions of course, but for me I'm not too worried as long as it's protected from every day bumps and bruises so I can take it with me places without worrying too much. It would be nice to get a case that fit the AC Adapter as well in case I need to charge it while out and about. I usually like harder cases, but they aren't always the way forward, and I'm not really interested in cases that hold the entire thing including the dock since I'll almost never want to carry absolutely everything with me.

Seriously, I'm just really unsure what to get.

If you want the full monty, hybrid case + one of the officially liscensed pdp cases. That's gonna run you about $40 bucks. If you don't want to go all out like that the RDS Game Traveler Deluxe is pretty nice (edit: doesn't fit AC Adapter though).

https://youtu.be/G3ndQtXLMrs

Edit: I wouldn't buy the pdp case without the hybrid case as well. It uses a mesh netting to hold the system that I don't trust around the screen. It's perfect in combo with the hybrid case though, it fits snugly, doesn't move around, and has room for the joycons + AC adapter. Plus the hybrid case doubles as a stand, so you won't have to lug that around too, or *gulp* rely on the kickstand.

Edit2: the hybrid case also comes with a pretty decent screen protector, so you'd be fully covered just by those two purchases. I dunno what the RDS case comes with.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    I'm surprised, it doesn't look like any of the cases fit the AC adapter.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    The pdp case will definitely fit the adapter on the other side of the flap. Sometimes I'll use my old 3DS/2DS case to carry the joycons and ac adapter seperately.

Personally I use the hard case + pdp combo, but I also have malevolent forces of nature trying to destroy my Switch so that might be overkill for you.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

For the gba and something else I think? It was a jrpg but I can't recall the name at all

Golden Sun?

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Went ahead and ordered a 200gb microsd card. Anything above that starts hitting really really bad memory:price ratios. The 128gb still does better on that account but decided to spring for a little extra space without hitting the crappy prices of the 256gb+ ones reach. Tomorrow I shall grab Fast RMX, Shovel Knight, and Binding of Isaac.

Edit: I'm still not even to where I'd call myself halfway done with Breath of the Wild despite playing it nearly every day for over two weeks. Still nice to have other games on the system to tide me over until Mario Kart 8, Arms, and Splatoon 2 start coming out

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Wow it actually took me a moment to process that. My brain was insisting it was a Bravely Default teaser because it just seemed so unlikely that we would actually get another Radiant Historia.

It's a deserving series. Best traditional styled jrpg since the days of Chrono Trigger in my opinion. Track down a copy if you can.

I just hope they stick with sprites. I really don't think it'd benefit from going 3d.

I don't know how the stacking mechanic would even work in 3d.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    As someone who absofuckinglutely loved Final Fantasy Adventure on the GameBoy (Palmtrees 8 aside. Pre-internet 10 year old me was stumped for months), and yet somehow never got around to playing Secret of Mana, I am so down for that collection.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Just inject that collection right into my eyes thanks.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Does that japanese annoucement in that link say if/when there is an american release? Or is it just june 1st for the japanese release only?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

You were thinking of Riviera: The Promised Land.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

You were thinking of Riviera: The Promised Land.

My hero!

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    For those still looking, this might possibly be your next big chance (and possibly your last chance until the xmas season).
    Hahaha, pretty irresponsible to perpetuate this rumor (though I think you meant it as a jokey reference to my comment about that one place I called). The rep who told me that was clearly just out of the loop or else tired of dealing with calls, as someone suggested. Stores (at least some stores, though I know there are some that haven't received any new stock since launch) and online retailers are restocking every few days, a little at a time. Most retail reps have told me that they expect to have a more stable inventory within two months, and the places I called this weekend mostly advised that I check back in early April.

That being said, yeah, looks like there's gonna be some significant restocking this week (i.e. GameStop). That new stock will fly off of the shelves, but at least we have a chance.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Saw this posted in the Radiant Historia thread, since we're discusing it...
    Kelor wrote: »
    C7bVEi5VAAAo_eP.jpg

Full 3DS remake, titled Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology.

Has an additional scenario that will be added to the game, as Maddoc suggested.

Damnit, I was hoping for a Switch sequel. I'll still be buying it as long as it gets localised but I'd at least like to see it get released on the Switch as well.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    Does that japanese annoucement in that link say if/when there is an american release? Or is it just june 1st for the japanese release only?

A Western release is unlikely since Seiken Densetsu 3 has never been translated, which they'd need to do for this to be released outside Japan.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    http://gematsu.com/2017/03/seiken-densetsu-collection-announced-switch

Liquid gold.

First three games. 3-player multiplayer for the second and third games.

Yes. Yes, please. Gimme dat.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    they will absolutely continue to stock through the summer and fall.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, If they get to the end of September and there is a shortage as they try to hold back stock for the Christmas boom.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

A Western release is unlikely since Seiken Densetsu 3 has never been translated, which they'd need to do for this to be released outside Japan.

Is that still as big of a hurdle in the gaming industry? The career field of Japanese -> translators is huge, and translation software is becoming better every day.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

This better come here!!! We need an official translation of Seiken Densetsu 3 soooooooooo bad

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

Is that still as big of a hurdle in the gaming industry? The career field of Japanese -> translators is huge, and translation software is becoming better every day.

It's a lot harder to translate a game than it seems on the surface. There's a lot of context things that software just doesn't handle and is hard work for those producing a translation.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

It likely wouldn't be technically challenging or anything, it's just a matter of it being cost-effective or not.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    If that dues get imported we probably end up with Secret of Evermore instead of SD3. And I'm actually okay with that.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    There’s no denying that the Nintendo Switch has had a very successful launch. In fact, the sold-out console has been doing so well that GameStop senior director of merchandising, Eric Bright, said the Nintendo Switch could potentially outsell the Wii.

In an interview with Game Rant, Bright offered some thoughts about the success of the Nintendo Switch, calling the new Nintendo console a “transformational piece of technology.” During the discussion, Bright revealed his belief that the Nintendo Switch could eventually outperform the Wii, which has sold over 100 million units worldwide to date. Bright said:

“The Nintendo Switch is off to a start right now that it could possibly eclipse the Wii. Initial sales on this have been phenomenal. I can’t give straight numbers, but I can say we’re seeing one of the highest attach rates of software and accessories to a device that we’ve seen in a long time.”

https://gamerant.com/nintendo-switch-sales-wii-gamestop/?ref=related

I, uh, get the feeling Nintendo's crazy experiment may be working.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Seems a little premature, but yeah, who knows. I don't see Switch breaking into the retirement home market like the Wii did, but then again the Switch is a handheld which makes it more likely you buy one for each kid instead of one for the house.

Gamestop seems to be salivating more at the attach rate of accessories and bundle sales, it's in their best interest to promote a console that sells piles of bits and bobs along with the base unit:
    We’re seeing tremendous success with the power chargers for the Nintendo Switch, as well as people coming in and picking up extra Joy-Con so people can turn it into a four-player device. We will soon be going online with all-new bundles. Because of the popularity of Zelda, which is one of my top picks, we’re putting together a Zelda bundle of hardware and accessories for customers to pick up online.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    And the appearance of a successful platform launch just feeds on it and makes it more successful even if it isn't quantitatively that much better than other launches (which the Switch launch may or may not be, I don't have the numbers)

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    part of the appeal for me with the portability is that I'm a fan of the sportsballs, so there are many instances where I'll want to have a sportsballs game of some kind on the TV, even if I'm not paying 100% attention to it. So I can put the sportsballs game on, take the switch out of the dock, and play portably while the game is on.

The Houston Rockets have been my constant companion as I've trekked through the wilderness of Hyrule.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    For those still looking, this might possibly be your next big chance (and possibly your last chance until the xmas season).
    Hahaha, pretty irresponsible to perpetuate this rumor (though I think you meant it as a jokey reference to my comment about that one place I called). The rep who told me that was clearly just out of the loop or else tired of dealing with calls, as someone suggested. Stores (at least some stores, though I know there are some that haven't received any new stock since launch) and online retailers are restocking every few days, a little at a time. Most retail reps have told me that they expect to have a more stable inventory within two months, and the places I called this weekend mostly advised that I check back in early April.

That being said, yeah, looks like there's gonna be some significant restocking this week (i.e. GameStop). That new stock will fly off of the shelves, but at least we have a chance.

Is everyone just going to keep ignoring my edits and subsequent posts? I'm not saying there wont be restocks I'm saying it will be near impossible to get without serious serious legwork until around that time. "Your last big chance till xmas" does not mean "no restocks till xmas".

And I still stand by it, 100%

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    If that dues get imported we probably end up with Secret of Evermore instead of SD3. And I'm actually okay with that.

I liked Secret of Evermore just fine, but come on... give me that official SD3 release!

Shit, include them both! I'll pay extra.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    And the appearance of a successful platform launch just feeds on it and makes it more successful even if it isn't quantitatively that much better than other launches (which the Switch launch may or may not be, I don't have the numbers)

Very true... perception can be a very key factor in success. The Wii had the casual-bait, while the Wii U had, well, the lack of casuals and the thought that "well, the Wii wasn't for core gaming and I guess the Wii U will be the same." And the Xbox One never really shook the whole "yeah you don't really own your games" thing, even after Microsoft frantically backpedaled. A sustained strong start could work wonders.

That said I'm also skeptical Switch will reach Wii levels, but hey, it's doing better than I would have predicted.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
This discussion has been closed.