As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Gamer letter from the editor

2»

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Vede's a dumbass.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TL;DR
    Drez wrote: »
    Vede's a dumbass.

But in all honesty, how did this man get the job? It's not even the subject matter that annoys me, but the fact it's written by someone who, as a JOB, should be able to write. And yet it's written like he flunked out of English in 10th grade.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Vederman's never been able to write; that's why he got a job as their hardware guy back in the day, so that half his columns could be filled with soulless spec comparisons. Even his little three paragraphs at the start of 'Hard Stuff' was crap.

I used to enjoy PCGamer, and it used to have some decent writing. I haven't read it in years, and given that they made Vede EIC, I'm sort of glad.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    jenninedjennined Registered User new member
    edited June 2007
    Dude should fo' sho' get shitcanned... I mean, if we have people walking around, freely expressing their opinions all the time, without fear of reprisal, American society might actually resemble the democracy it's supposed to be!

I mean, c'mon guys, it's not like he called anyone a nappy-headed ho....

(I do agree, however, that he can't write for shit, but then neither can most of the Internet, so whatever.)

jennined on
  • Options
    b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just wanted in so I could do this

b0b(not a sig)

b0bd0d on
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jennined wrote: »
    Dude should fo' sho' get shitcanned... I mean, if we have people walking around, freely expressing their opinions all the time, without fear of reprisal, American society might actually resemble the democracy it's supposed to be!

(I do agree, however, that he can't write for shit, but then neither can most of the Internet, so whatever.)
    This is one of the most utterly vapid posts I've ever read, anywhere, and that includes gamefaqs. No one ever suggested that "The Vede" went over the line in terms of offensiveness, ever. No one gives a shit whether or not Vederman likes Penny Arcade. That isn't the issue. No one cares what his opinion is.

The reason people are complaining is that the article itself is written in the most piss poor manner possible. It's amateurish and juvenile, and the editor of a major gaming magazine ought to be able to string together sentences more skillfully than that. He should be better than most of the internet when it comes to writing. He's a shitty writer, and yet his job is to write. Therefore, he ought to be replaced by someone better. End of story.

And then, here you come, turning this whole thing into a civil rights struggle, as if we're oppressing him because we disagree with his opinion. That isn't what's at issue here. Maybe you should take a few remedial reading classes in order to improve your reading comprehension skills. I'm surprised someone with your mental fortitude can manage to turn on and operate a computer.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    HitScanHitScan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mikesta wrote: »
    This is one of the most utterly vapid posts I've ever read, anywhere, and that includes gamefaqs. No one ever suggested that "The Vede" went over the line in terms of offensiveness, ever. No one gives a shit whether or not Vederman likes Penny Arcade. That isn't the issue. No one cares what his opinion is.

The reason people are complaining is that the article itself is written in the most piss poor manner possible. It's amateurish and juvenile, and the editor of a major gaming magazine ought to be able to string together sentences more skillfully than that. He should be better than most of the internet when it comes to writing. He's a shitty writer, and yet his job is to write. Therefore, he ought to be replaced by someone better. End of story.

And then, here you come, turning this whole thing into a civil rights struggle, as if we're oppressing him because we disagree with his opinion. That isn't what's at issue here. Maybe you should take a few remedial reading classes in order to improve your reading comprehension skills. I'm surprised someone with your mental fortitude can manage to turn on and operate a computer.
    Fo' sho'

(*gag*)

HitScan on
    Unstable like the isotope that resolves the fate of the theoretical cat in the hypothetical crate.
    Yo momma so fat she got triabetes
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mikesta wrote: »
    jennined wrote: »

Exactly. Vederman of course realizes that he's in a battle with online gaming journalism, and he also realizes that he's losing that battle; the print guys are no longer the big dogs when it comes to information about games. What he doesn't seem to get is why he's losing. By making his columns "rude, crude, and irreverent" he thinks he can keep his magazine fresh and cool, but the ability to use the work "fuck" and make scatalogical analogies is just a gimmick: people on the internet use it because they can, or if they're like Tycho, because it enhances their clarity of writing.

The real problem is that he can't compete with the speed anymore. We find out about gaming news from anywhere in the world in a matter of minutes after it's announced. They get their news the same time we do, but then they have to write it up, send it out to be published, and then have it sit in the store until someone buys it - and those that they're appealing to have already seen all of their information, even read through an illeglal scan of their magazine for free.

That's why PC Gamer has shrunk from a 500 page magazine that was half-filled with ads to a 70 page pamphlet that's still half-filled with ads. PC gaming itself still has some life in it, but PC Gamer and its print magazine bretheren, not so much.

Which is sad, since I really loved them while Whitta and even Rob Smith were Editors-in-Chief, I had pretty much every issue from the third one published up until the end of 2005.

Brolo on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Alls I can say his letter is lasagna. Whatever the fuck that was suppose to get across..

I think the worst thing about the letter is that not only is it just poorly written it doesn't seem to have much of a point. He thinks some PA comics are entertaining and some aren't... yeah ok and?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    tehgamer74tehgamer74 Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    i used to think vederman was ok, but that was a long time ago. but i wonder how a gamer who doesnt "get" penny arcade ended up being editor of one of the best gaming mags around. how often do you play games, vede? apparently not often enough to catch the numerous game references in PA. wtf??? HOW DID THIS GUY GET THIS JOB??? Not only does he not understand a popular gaming strip, but his literary capabilities leave something to be desired.

tehgamer74 on
  • Options
    ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    tehgamer74 wrote: »
    i wonder how a gamer who doesnt "get" penny arcade ended up being editor of one of the best gaming mags around. how often do you play games, vede? apparently not often enough to catch the numerous game references in PA. wtf??? HOW DID THIS GUY GET THIS JOB??? Not only does he not understand a popular gaming strip, but his literary capabilities leave something to be desired.
    I'm pretty sure that was his not-so-subtle way of saying he doesn't find it funny. And I mean, I don't really disagree with him, but I think the point is that it really isn't appropriate for his editorial considering what's on the cover and selling his magazine. That, and the article reads like your average forum post.

Thello on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It would be easier to deal with if he weren't saying someone else isn't funny while he himself is trying hard to be funny and failing miserably.
    He has the comedic timing of SIDS.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg