As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Movie Guide

bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Social Entropy++
With a wint'ry week ahead of me, stuck at home with an absent spouse, I've been renting a lot of films and I'm keen to rent some more. Good ones, if possible. So I thought we should have a thread for suggesting the best movies you've been watching, with a few brief lines on what makes them good. Much like the book thread! ...only for movies. What have you watched recently? What's a classic not everyone's heard of? What should be avoided? Etc. etc.

Without further ado here are a few to kick it off:

Mary Antoinette: I actually liked this a lot, despite the poor reviews it got. It had a kind of understated, wandering feeling, and though I think the strain on keeping dialogue 'modern' hurt it, it was certainly a unique biography in terms of historical cinema. A bit like an 18thC French version of The Royal Tennenbaums - very Wes Anderson.

Dangerous Lives of the Altar Boys: I'd never heard of this before but it turned out to be a pretty nice little movie. A bunch of kids in a religious school muck up in mid-century America. They draw comics of themselves as superheroes and get up to mischief and fall in love with equally dangerous girls. It was interspersed with animated scenes from the comic itself, which was a nice touch. It was a cool little movie, kind of like Donnie Darko with less pseudo-sci-fi and more zany schemes and comic books.

12 Angry Men: Took me a while to get around to this one but it's certainly deserving of its spot as a classic. A jury meets to decide the fate of an alleged killer. The case is constructed entirely through the response of the jurors so there's no stuffy time in the courtroom wasted in this great character flick. Prejudices are exposed, deep questions are asked, and yes it's black and white you unappreciative modern kids sheesh. It's the kind of movie you have to watch sooner or later, so watch it.

So what should I rent tonight?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
bsjezz on

• Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    American Pie 2

Zoolander on
  • Options
    Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Marie Antoinette was a giant piece of shit.

Johnny Fabulous on
    We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
  • Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bsjezz wrote: »
    12 Angry Men: Took me a while to get around to this one but it's certainly deserving of its spot as a classic. A jury meets to decide the fate of an alleged killer. The case is constructed entirely through the response of the jurors so there's no stuffy time in the courtroom wasted in this great character flick. Prejudices are exposed, deep questions are asked, and yes it's black and white you unappreciative modern kids sheesh. It's the kind of movie you have to watch sooner or later, so watch it.

So what should I rent tonight?

You better mean the original, black-and-white movie with the guy who played Piglet

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Way of the Gun: Criminally overlooked film by Christopher Mcquarrie. The beginning will have you sold.

John Carpenter's The Thing: My favorite horror movie of all time. Actually, it's the only horror movie I've watched to completion and enjoyed.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dislexic wrote: »
    and yes it's black and white you unappreciative modern kids sheesh.

You better mean the original, black-and-white movie with the guy who played Piglet

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Epic Movie.

It's a delightful romp through the fields of satire. This smart, witty comedy borrows from some of last summers biggest blockbusters, and delivers nonstop laughs.

Watch as some of your favorite characters are lampooned to hilarity, and ride the roller coaster of laughs, all the way to the epic end.

I give this movie, two thumbs way up!

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know people who wouldn't even watch that for free.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    At the other end of the spectrum, I watched Two Family House and Ulee's Gold recently and I've enjoyed both.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm one of them.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    The Good, The Bad and the Ugly: Can't beat a Clint Eastwood Cowboy flick

The Curse of the Golden Flower: Chinese wars? Historical? YES PLEASE

Sholin Soccor: The Best

Kung Fu Hustle: The Bestest

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Needs more DEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAATH GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Swimming With Sharks: Billed as a black comedy about an assistant (Frank Whaley) who is an assistant to a big time Hollywood producer (Kevin Spacey). Worth seeing just for Spacey's performance (his final speech is treeeeemendous).

Requiem For A Dream: Probably going to get shit for this, but I just saw it recently, and it literally altered a path in my life. A former addiction had been gnawing at me, and this move squashed it with the quickness. Don't watch it on a good day, since it will destroy your mood. And for the love of God, pick up the unrated version. Drugs are bad.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    i watched the machinist

goodness i enjoyed it

Knob on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys: I'd never heard of this before but it turned out to be a pretty nice little movie. A bunch of kids in a religious school muck up in mid-century America. They draw comics of themselves as superheroes and get up to mischief and fall in love with equally dangerous girls. It was interspersed with animated scenes from the comic itself, which was a nice touch. It was a cool little movie, kind of like Donnie Darko with less pseudo-sci-fi and more zany schemes and comic books.

This was a great movie. I remember going "Gee, I dunno" about it, but I liked it.
    And the chick in it seems to be a character actress who only plays young girl whores.

I can imagine her agent in a meeting..."Oh, you need a young slut? Have WE got the actress for YOU."

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll second the way of the gun because it is the best action movie ever.

Also A scanner darkly and The royal tennanbaums are exquisetly good. But my guess is that youve already watched them.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Requiem For A Dream: Probably going to get shit for this, but I just saw it recently, and it literally altered a path in my life. An former addiction had been gnawing at me, and this move squashed it with the quickness. Don't watch it on a good day, since it will destroy your mood. And for the love of God, pick up the unrated version. Drugs are bad.

The ending is bar-none the scariest fucking ending ever. Well, at least whatever led to the ending. You know.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    i watched the machinist

goodness i enjoyed it

Now, is this where Bale gets hells of skinny?

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    1408: I just saw this, and it was incredibly good. It was a little too pyschological for me, I was expecting more of a horror in the same vein as other king movies. But it was definitly enjoyable.

Real spoiler ahead;
    The way his daughter just dies in his arms. Jesus that was brutal. I was expecting another ghoul, or a zombie, but instead to just give her back to him, only to make him experience her death again was soul crushingly evil. Favorite scene in the movie, hands down.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Requiem For A Dream: Probably going to get shit for this, but I just saw it recently, and it literally altered a path in my life. An former addiction had been gnawing at me, and this move squashed it with the quickness. Don't watch it on a good day, since it will destroy your mood. And for the love of God, pick up the unrated version. Drugs are bad.

The ending is bar-none the scariest fucking ending ever. Well, at least whatever led to the ending. You know.

My response to the last 15 minutes: "I did not just fucking see ANY of that, did I?"
    "Ass to ass." And the smile on her face on the couch. D:

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I forgot a couple more:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Swords, Babes and Kung Fu.

Iron Monkey: Theifs and Babes and Robin Hoodesq.

Fearless: Fighting till the end.

A Fistful of Few Dollars: This was another good Clint Eastwood flick

Unforgiven: One of the best Clint Eastwood Flick.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Goodbye Lenin!: German, subtitled, but a very good movie about a 20-something guy trying to keep his mother, who just came out of a coma, from finding out about the fall of the Berlin Wall and the merging of East and West Germany.

21 Grams: You have to constantly pay attention for this one, but has a great plot that weaves through intertwining lives, not afraid to go out of chronological order, pretty great when it all comes together.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had a free rental at blackbuster so I got Breach

I am about to pop it in

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    John Carpenter's The Thing: My favorite horror movie of all time.

Also, Heavy Metal. This movie has everything. Everything! Violence, Sex, Drugs, 80ies Rock, more violence and undead WWII soldiers!

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nucsh wrote: »
    I had a free rental at blackbuster so I got Breach

I am about to pop it in

I was going to rent this but I'm saving up this week. One thing about Ryan Phillipe I like a lot is that he never plays the same character.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Amélie

amelie.jpg

bombardier on
  • Options
    loverockchildloverockchild Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    one flew over the cuckoo's nest is a good movie. at the end I was very emotionally invested. I like Christopher Lloyd being crazy and Danny DeVito not being a smartass for once.

S.F.W. is a pretty cool movie. at first i just liked it because the opening song was Jesus Christ Pose, but it's a pretty cool movie about apathy, beer, and the main romantic relationship in the movie stood out for me because it was based on an actual emotional connection the characters developed instead of the whole movie being, "she's hot and I've never really talked to her but I'm going to chase her for an hour and a half and we'll end up together." because, you know, that second scenario happens all the time in real life.

The Kill Bill movies are great if you watch them back to back like one movie. solid revenge movie that has lots of cool characters. On top of that there's lots of references to other cool movies and pop culture for you to notice.

The Blues Brothers is awesome to see performances from more great dead people than you can shake a stick at. and some are still alive too, bonus.

loverockchild on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Goodbye Lenin!: German, subtitled, but a very good movie about a 20-something guy trying to keep his mother, who just came out of a coma, from finding out about the fall of the Berlin Wall and the merging of East and West Germany.

21 Grams: You have to constantly pay attention for this one, but has a great plot that weaves through intertwining lives, not afraid to go out of chronological order, pretty great when it all comes together.

Trainspotting: Great drug movie, extremely witty

Pan's Labyrinth: Now that everyone knows about it, it's lost a bit of luster, but still fabulous movie. NOT FOR KIDS, THOUGH!!!! Has very deep, literary-style themes.

EDIT:
    Igby Goes Down: Fabulous movie about what it really means to grow up

Almost Famous: Similar theme as above, but more of an adventure movie

O Brother, Where Art Thou?: One of the best adventure movies ever made, fantastic soundtrack, George Clooney is awesome

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Children of Men: Great, great, great movie. Clive owen does a spectacular job in this movie, and the ending is perfect for the point they're trying to make.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Linda Linda Linda - Japanese movie about schoolgirls trying to perform in their school talent show. Very lowkey but awesome. Sometimes, you just wanna see a simple, heart warming story involving those wacky japanese

Hard Candy - a little too girl-power, but so freaky and well done

Kicking and Screaming (not the Will Ferrell soccer movie) - great little movie about life after college and not knowign what the hell you're going to do with you life

Slackers - a silly college movie starring Big Pete from Pete and Pete and Devan Sawa as a sexy bitch

Sorority Boys - worth it for the dildo fight.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Heat: Awesome "good versus bad" movie where you're not sure who to cheer on.

The Saint: Amazingly good soundtrack, lots of fun. Kinda cheesy, but a good movie with Val Kilmer (I suppose Heat is too, but meh)

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    More foreign films:

City of God - Man, who knew Brazil was so crazy and awesome

Tsotsi - thug dude finds and adopts a baby in South Africa

City of Lost Children - not sure what I watched, but I liked it.

Perfume - dude in it is sexy as hell. Also, freaky story.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Trainspotting: Great drug movie, extremely witty

Pan's Labyrinth: Now that everyone knows about it, it's lost a bit of luster, but still fabulous movie. NOT FOR KIDS, THOUGH!!!! Has very deep, literary-style themes.

EDIT:
    Igby Goes Down: Fabulous movie about what it really means to grow up

Almost Famous: Similar theme as above, but more of an adventure movie

O Brother, Where Art Thou?: One of the best adventure movies ever made, fantastic soundtrack, George Clooney is awesome

Jesus, I keep thinking of movies I consider must-sees:

Life Aquatic: Bill Murray is absolutely incredible. Hilarious, but not in a slapstick way, with a brand of humor similar to The Royal Tenenbaums (same guy made it), another movie I'd recommend, though not quite as strongly

This Is Spinal Tap: I hated Best in Show, but I loved this. Faux-documentary, comedy, some of the best lines I've heard in any movie ever.

Usual Suspects: You've probably heard it, one of the best crime movies ever made.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Little miss sunshine: Great departure role for steve carrell. Great actors all around, good humor, good dramatic scenes, and a great uplifting story.

Snatch: If you liked Lock, Stock, and two smoking barrels, you have to see this film. It's a little more amercanized, but it keeps the frantic action, and awesome humor that LSTB did.

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking barrels: Pretty awesome flick, awesome action, great humor. Nuff said.

Smoking Aces: Very similar to the above two films, but definitly more americanized with our mafia as main villians, and over the top gun fights. But it's a great film. Like a mix of oceans 11 and lock stock and two smoking barrels.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Made: Great Jon Favreau movie co-starring the brilliant Vince Vaughn, where he perfected his trademark of being unaware that he is a huge dick.

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    A Bronx Tale - one of the most underrated mob movies ever made. Directed by Robert DeNiro, written by Chas Palmonteri. Basically a mobster adaptation of Romeo and Juliet, and fucking wonderful.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It's not really a mob movie though. But yes, great recommendation.

Whatever happpened to Lillo Brancato Jr.'s murder charges?

Calamity Jane on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    how is A Bronx Tale not a mob movie?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Aren't the kids aspiring to be in the mob? Don't they form their own mob like club?

Don't they beat on black people who enter there hood? Sounds like a mob film.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    Phil316Phil316 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    American Beauty

Phil316 on
    americanfootballsigdi0.jpg
    tf2_sig.png