As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How compulsive is it to cover the seat in toilet paper first?

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    avoid at all costs or paper down the whole thing. but clean up after/flush paper away

NA as a whole disgusts me though in matters of washroom cleanliness.

I'm talking about our complete lack of a bidet using culture.

what, you think pushing shit around with a piece of paper is gonna clean things up?

how bout SOAP and WATER like the damn europeans (and Japanese) are smart enough to use?

that's the worst part of public washrooms. if you don't have a clean drop there's no way to really do anything about it except curse the standard of "push paper around bum to clean"

You know we've lived for thousands of years without the benefits of soap or toilet paper. I don't think it's as bad of a problem as you think.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    We didnt have toothpaste either but I don't go to bed without brushing with it or I can feel a gross film/roughness to my teeth.

I can survive without it, but the marvels of modern civilization mean we dont and SHOULDNT have to.

edit: actually it's funny. I'm pretty sure that prior to paper they at least used (or still use in areas with it) water... something we somehow neglected to keep doing along the way.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd be willing to bet paper works better than splashing water simply due to abrasive effect.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Look, you're not getting it.

We do horrible things with water that is aimed DOWN.

Imagine what we would do with water that is aimed UP.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Aren't toilet seats, like, a paragon of cleanliness next to doorknobs and shared pencils and dollar bills?

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd be willing to bet paper works better than splashing water simply due to abrasive effect.

debateable (you have fingers and nails too you know :P) but nowadays we DO have soap to factor in there.

moreover, many bidet lovers use paper prior to anyways for reasons you suggest.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ew

who would use nails

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have only read one or two of the replies and am a bit loaded, but when I got to the bathroom at work, I go to the toilet and try to sort that shit out. For our business, when the toilet goes, that is good enough. If you need to go again, tell your co-worker or supervisor. ALWAYS report it up the chain if you can. If YOU are the Chain, report it to YOUR supervisor so that it is on record and part of a report.

If she does not stop or try to make reparations, take her down. You do not need to dealt with that and she has been dealing with you illegally.

LaOs on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Using paper then water works even better, though, and that's what people with bidets do.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    Okay so seriously, I used to work in a building that had those paper things you use to place over the seat so you're not sitting in some other dude's ass sweat, right? Now I'm working at a place that lacks these, and so I pull three strips of toilet paper to cover both sides and the back before I sit myself down and create magic.

The thing is though, I've never noticed anyone else in the washroom doing this when they enter. There should be a bit of a pause and you know, the sound of toilet paper dispensing. I'm not eavesdropping on their shitting or anything, but I've never noticed anyone to do it.

So obviously there's a small dilemma here. Am I insane?

I don't think I'm that crazy because obviously there is an industry that revolves around this need, hence the pre-formed seat papers. But then nobody else does this in the absence of the seat papers. So I need to know, Internet. How crazy am I?

I do this if I'm forced to use an even semi-public restroom in such a fashion.

edit:
    The Cat wrote: »
    you people are crazy. I guarantee you will breathe more aerosolised wastes in a public toilet than you can ever hope to get on your ass

also, innovations in crapping technology!

Fucking Scandinavians.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Dulcius_ex_asperisDulcius_ex_asperis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I asked one of my USC pre-med friends about this once, and he told me there's no way to really get sick from a plain old, buttsweat-covered toilet seat unless you somehow got someone else's shit on you and then it somehow got transferred to your mouth.

I shiver at the thought.

That being said, I go to school in "west" Texas (I was raised in CA) and NO public restrooms there have those fancy little toilet seat covers, at least not in my town. Grosses me out. So I do the whole cover-the-seat-with-strips-of-tp thing, after wiping it down. I don't think this is crazy. I think it's practical. I don't want someone else's peepee on me.

Plus my older sister has crazy germophobe OCD so nothing I do is crazy compared to her. ;-)

Dulcius_ex_asperis on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I always, always wipe the toilet seat first. depending on how crusty it looks after that, or how crusty the place is, i will add additional toilet paper barriers between my ass and the seat.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I always cover it with paper

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just shit before I go to work. Sidesteps the whole damn issue.

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I live in a dorm for most of the year, where the only toilets I use for months at a time are public. You get used to shitting in public real fast if it's your only option, no matter how shy you are. The worst part is when people insist on talking to you while you're doing your business. Also, I never bothered covering the toilet seat because I heard the "toilet seat is one of the worst places for germs to grow!" shit and decided to blindly believe it without inquiring further, because there's some shit I prefer not to think about.

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Its true living in dorms will make you cozy up to public toilets really fast.

then you get good at knowing where all the best toilets on campus are.

(BTW: basement of the University of Guelph library, or in the new wing of the Engineering building)

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've heard that there's a minuscule, but altogether possible chance of getting crabs from a toilet seat.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »

(BTW: basement of the University of Guelph library, or in the new wing of the Engineering building)

You said it, brother.

(Knowledge is Power: Third floor of Williams, single toilet with a lock.)

Trevor on
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm mildly alarmed that you live in the city that I live in.

I could care less about paper towels on the toilet, and I really do have OCD. It's been something like 7-8 years since I've had an illness that made me skip school or work too. Maybe exposure to germs strengthens your immune systems or something.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You guys are crazy. I've never put toilet paper on a seat. And actually now that I think of it, when I walk into a stall and I do see toilet paper on a seat, I always get the feeling that the last person to use it must have had absolutely disgusting diarrhea or something, and go to a stall without toilet paper on the seat.

I'd put money on the handle to open the door to the bathroom being 100 times more putrid than the toilet seat, but you don't normally see people opening doors with a cloth.

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Corlis wrote: »
    I'm mildly alarmed that you live in the city that I live in.

I could care less about paper towels on the toilet, and I really do have OCD. It's been something like 7-8 years since I've had an illness that made me skip school or work too. Maybe exposure to germs strengthens your immune systems or something.

I actually don't live there anymore.

If I went to a toilet that already was covered with toilet paper, I would move to the next stall.

The worst is people that don't flush. I mean, come on. It takes the slightest amount of human decency to just fucking push that little lever so your steaming pile of shit isnt sitting there, smiling, taunting the next person to come in.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I'd put money on the handle to open the door to the bathroom being 100 times more putrid than the toilet seat, but you don't normally see people opening doors with a cloth.

That's the only thing that bothers me, really. The door to the washroom.

bombardier on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    LaOs wrote: »
    I have only read one or two of the replies and am a bit loaded, but when I got to the bathroom at work, I go to the toilet and try to sort that shit out. For our business, when the toilet goes, that is good enough. If you need to go again, tell your co-worker or supervisor. ALWAYS report it up the chain if you can. If YOU are the Chain, report it to YOUR supervisor so that it is on record and part of a report.

If she does not stop or try to make reparations, take her down. You do not need to dealt with that and she has been dealing with you illegally.

Man it could just be me but I have no idea what this guy is talking about.

But back to the thread title, I try to avoid shitting in public placed whenever possible. Thus far it hasn't been a problem but there have been some exceptions. Worse comes to worse just hover over the seat.

Shogun on
  • Options
    GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just shit in my hand and then fling it at people - saves on paper.

Gorak on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Truth. When you spend a year or more with public toilets as your only option, you learn to deal. Seriously, there's basically nothing that can realistically happen to you if you sit on a seat that's visibly clean. It's just a matter of not letting yourself develop a phobia about it. I'm a little paranoid about shit stains on the seat, in that I don't consider it enough to just wipe them off, so if they're small and I have no better alternative I'll fold up some toilet paper and cover just on that part of the seat before sitting down. I always wipe off the seat first regardless of what's on it, and if necessary I'll use a wet paper towel or something for urine.

I wish people would put the fucking seat up though. None of this would happen if not for the lazy assholes that piss all over the seat, or accidentally drop their toilet paper on it when they wipe standing up.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »

Man it could just be me but I have no idea what this guy is talking about.

But back to the thread title, I try to avoid shitting in public placed whenever possible. Thus far it hasn't been a problem but there have been some exceptions. Worse comes to worse just hover over the seat.

Neither do I... At least I prefaced it with the warning that I was loaded.

Sorry for shitting up the thread. :D

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That drunk post fucking cracks me up

Al_wat on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    okay so basically if I'm crazy I'm no more insane than most of you are so that's good

also deusfaux has confirmed once again that he is the loopiest fucker on these forums

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That drunk post fucking cracks me up

Me too. My roomie and had a good laugh about it.

I was telling her how I type pretty well when I'm drunk, so the only way to know if I'm loaded is when the content doesn't make a lick of sense.

Like, the typing is well-done, but the content is a giant WTF moment. I love it!

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    okay so basically if I'm crazy I'm no more insane than most of you are so that's good

I agree.

LaOs on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh Jesus Christ. There's thousands of people on my base. There's nothing but public toilets, the majority of them portajohns. Nobody's caught anything you wimps.

Quid on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've never met anyone who covers the toilet seat before. The first i ever heard of it was watching american tv. I wipe the seat if i see pubes or urine and use a different if there's shit, otherwise i just sit down.

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    "These bidet toilets are becoming increasingly popular in countries like India, where use of just dry toilet paper to clean the perianal area is considered dirty and unhygienic"

This is the same country that dump corpses in the same river they drink from.

Echo on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    "These bidet toilets are becoming increasingly popular in countries like India, where use of just dry toilet paper to clean the perianal area is considered dirty and unhygienic"

And then probably spray their butts with that same water.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »

And then probably spray their butts with that same water.

And then drink it some more.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Also various types of wastage. Don't they have the highest rate of cholera in the world?

For the record all you obsessives are crazy. Just give it a once over with some toilet paper and get to work.

Leitner on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm really surprised at a lot of the replies in this thread. I just sit down, do my business, wipe, flush, wash my hands, and get back to work.

Granted my company keeps the bathrooms very clean, but even in the dorms I never really had a problem with sitting down on a public toilet.

What are you going to get, ass cancer? I just sincerely doubt that the seat is any dirtier than the handle you push/pull/turn to get into the bathroom.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've lived in dorms with public washrooms for two years. Gotten quite used to doing my business in a public washroom, but every single time I will wipe and put down paper to cover the seat. Yes, I can do it constantly for years at a time.

Knowing about dorms, I really wouldn't change my behaviour. Firstly, in the co-ed washrooms we have, there are no urinals. And by observation, those 'water' droplets on the toilet are not water but guys who can't aim and didn't bother to put the seat up. Also? People vomit into these things on a regular basis, at a time when their accuracy is pretty damn low. And the custodial staff doesn't come on the weekends.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    So obviously there's a small dilemma here. Am I insane?

NO.

Start with 2 strips on the left, 2 strips on the right, and 2 horizontal strips across the back to hold those 4 vertical strips down.

We have one bathroom where there is a breeze and it always knocks the strips off the handicapped toilet (best toilet, and no handicapped people at work!) into the drink, RIGHT BEFORE you sit down.

So I use a different bathroom, upstairs.

And now they installed auto-flush.

So I set up my whole thing, and I sit down, but me sitting down changes the lighting, so it activates the autoflush and I get a spray.

I've taken to using a seventh strip, and the first thing I do now is cover the sensor with that strip, then do the seat-layering, then my business.

I do have to remember to pick that strip up when I get up though, otherwise there's a present available for the next guy.

Squashua on