As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How compulsive is it to cover the seat in toilet paper first?

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Okay so seriously, I used to work in a building that had those paper things you use to place over the seat so you're not sitting in some other dude's ass sweat, right? Now I'm working at a place that lacks these, and so I pull three strips of toilet paper to cover both sides and the back before I sit myself down and create magic.

The thing is though, I've never noticed anyone else in the washroom doing this when they enter. There should be a bit of a pause and you know, the sound of toilet paper dispensing. I'm not eavesdropping on their shitting or anything, but I've never noticed anyone to do it.

So obviously there's a small dilemma here. Am I insane?

I don't think I'm that crazy because obviously there is an industry that revolves around this need, hence the pre-formed seat papers. But then nobody else does this in the absence of the seat papers. So I need to know, Internet. How crazy am I?

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh also it should be noted that now I work with a lot of engineers whereas before I did not so sliding standards of hygiene MAY play a role.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm fairly sure you're completely nuts. Just wipe your butt off when you're done if you feel you need it.

jothki on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I used to do that all the time.

And now I just refuse to use public restrooms.

So...you might be crazy.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would point you in the direction of the toilet seat cover episode of Penn and Teller's Bullshit! if I had a link.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    First, I take a couple of paper towels and wet one of them. I use the wet one to wipe the seat, dry it with the other one, and then cover the seat in toilet paper. Yes, I did consider not telling you guys this, but here you go.

And I just assumed everyone does the cover seat in TP thing.

I prefer not to use public toilets at all, though, and avoid it as much as I can.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Most toilet seats are so fucking germ-ridden anyway that some dude's ass sweat is the last thing you have to worry about.

ege02 on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't use public toilets. Urinals, that's fine. Don't use toilets. Ever, ever, ever.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You people are all crazy. Those paper things are ridiculous in the first place

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    uh
    seems kinda wastefull

i routinely wipe the seat off with a piece of tp

but that's about it.

seriously. Just sit on it and shit.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I take three big strips of toilet paper and cover the toilet seat. Two parallel strips on the sides of the seat and one strip on the back of the seat. Quick, easy, and it make sme feel comfortable using the seat.

Don't worry about being a little germaphobic.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I cover the seat in case the management forgot to use Lysol after the last guy's ass exploded.

That said, I too stick to urinals when in public.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My coworkers and I use Lysol disinfectant wipes as our weapon of choice. No laying toliet paper down. We just hit the public bottle of wipes, grab a couple, go to the bathroom..disinfect the seat and "make magic"

Ludious on
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Buddy Lee wrote:
    I take three big strips of toilet paper and cover the toilet seat. Two parallel strips on the sides of the seat and one strip on the back of the seat. Quick, easy, and it make sme feel comfortable using the seat.

Don't worry about being a little germaphobic.

Hooray for compulsive paranoia! I'm the same way. Although I do it at most of my extended family's homes as well. Probably an expansion of the compulsive part.

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Meh. I've never had any open sores on my ass, so I've never worried 'bout nothing.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Even if you did have open sores, I think it would pretty much require an open sore and fresh blood that had only been on the seat for less than 60 seconds to contract anything too hideous.

And lets face it. Who's going to sit on a seat with BLOOD on it at all?

Ludious on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I tend to avoid public toilets, but if I do have to use one I usually pick one that's been flushed, visually inspect the seat, wipe it with a bit of TP if it has any toilet water/pee on it, and believe it or not I actually touch the seat with my bare ass.

Seriously guys, what the fuck? You can't, like, absorb somebody's germs via your ass cheeks. And I've never heard of sweat-borne diseases. Most people's asses remain clothed throughout the day, so it's actually one of the cleaner parts of the body. You'd basically have to lick the seat, and even then you'd have to be in a pretty dodgy washroom in order to catch something, and even then there's probably more airborne bacteria there than "ass germs". And public toilets are often cleaned at least once a day, whereas your average household washroom gets cleaned every week or so, and with weaker chemicals, so you'll probably find more airborne bacteria at home than in a well-maintained public washroom.

You are several orders of magnitude more likely to get germs from the toilet flush handle than from the toilet seat.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    If you think it's actually about the germs, you're silly.

It's about the fact that people are fricking disgusting.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You know what the worst part of a dirty toliet seat to me is?

Not if there's urine on it. That's gross, but really, it's pretty much sterile. I'll wipe it up with the lysol wipes.

Shit? No if there's shit on the seat, I'm going to the next stall. Period. So it's not even an ISSUE with me. That toliet doesn't even exsist.

The one.unavoidable thing in men's rooms are the pubes.

Oh God.

the Pubes.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    If you think it's actually about the germs, you're silly.

It's about the fact that people are fricking disgusting.
    And this poses a threat to you that justifies wasting God knows how much toilet paper, how exactly?

Azio on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hate those urinals that are like huge pee troughs.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I hate the newer ones with the huge protrusion at knee level which forces you to stand two feet away.

Azio on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some people go waaaay overboard with this, putting layers and layers of toilet paper and then don't flush it! Oh man that burns me. Then the tp hangs in the water and wicks toiled water up onto the seat. Nice. If you're a damn germophobe at least clean up after your neurotic behavior.

Or even better, people will use paper towels which don't flush well, clogging the toilet. Fantastic.

And you guys who just don't use public toilets must not have jobs or something. You don't always get a choice when the train pulls out of the station.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    And this poses a threat to you that justifies wasting God knows how much toilet paper, how exactly?

Since when does something have to pose a threat to me for me to want to avoid it?

--

Some of us can hold it. I can hold a full bladder for -hours- if needbe.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hate the newer ones with the huge protrusion at knee level which forces you to stand two feet away.

Yeah, I have to wonder whether they considered average cock size when they designed those.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I fear public toilets, as I won't want to get penis cancer.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, you people think you're crazy, and that amuses me.

You want crazy? I can't go to the bathroom in public places. Nope, not even in the stall. Not even if no one else is in the bathroom. I have to be in a bathroom with a door that locks, and it has to be quiet.

Why is this? I don't know. I have consciously tried to use public restrooms, and found myself physically incapable of doing so. I sat through half of Transformers with a 64oz soda in my bladder, actually feeling a rather serious degree of pain, and yet I couldn't pee until I got home. I know because I sat down in stall for five minutes, and nothing happened. It...it didn't always use to be this way. *sob* Seriously though, I have no idea when this started, because I used to be able to use public restrooms just fine. I am, in fact, becoming crazier and crazier as time goes on.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Aemilius wrote: »

You want crazy? I can't go to the bathroom in public places. Nope, not even in the stall. Not even if no one else is in the bathroom. I have to be in a bathroom with a door that locks, and it has to be quiet.

Why is this? I don't know. I have consciously tried to use public restrooms, and found myself physically incapable of doing so. I sat through half of Transformers with a 64oz soda in my bladder, actually feeling a rather serious degree of pain, and yet I couldn't pee until I got home. I know because I sat down in stall for five minutes, and nothing happened. It...it didn't always use to be this way. *sob* Seriously though, I have no idea when this started, because I used to be able to use public restrooms just fine. I am, in fact, becoming crazier and crazier as time goes on.

Don't ask how I know this (I'm not even sure myself) but I seem to have a sort of physical/mental block about urinating in places where I'm not supposed to. Perhaps you've somehow extended that further.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Don't ask how I know this (I'm not even sure myself) but I seem to have a sort of physical/mental block about urinating in places where I'm not supposed to. Perhaps you've somehow extended that further.

It's honestly really frustrating. I have no idea how I'll be able to handle this when I have a job. Just not pee for eight hours? Or, god forbid, if I ever live in a dorm room? I shudder to think.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know what I don't get? People who shit on the seat.

Not just like, oh I accidentally got some shit on the seat because I couldn't hold it... I mean people who deliberately lay a goddamn turd on the seat. W H Y ?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Not just like, oh I accidentally got some shit on the seat because I couldn't hold it... I mean people who deliberately lay a goddamn turd on the seat. W H Y ?

Beer. The answer is always beer.

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

In my freshman year in college, I was in one of the bathroom stalls when someone else stumbled into one of them, unzipped his pants, and started peeing on the floor right in front of the toilet, without noticinig. Some of it splashed onto my leg.

Fortunately he finished quickly, but I stayed in the stall until he was gone, since I had no desire whatsoever to find out who it was.

jothki on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Man I swear there was this guy on my last boat whos fucking asshole must have been on his lower back. Shit stains were always on the seat going slightly down.

I just sit on public toilets unless there is visible residue on the seat then I either find another or I wipe it. The way I see it is that there is already fecal matter coming out of my ass so a little butt sweat isn't gonna hurt me.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I have the same problem. I have to be seriously drunk in order to use a public toilet. Doing my thing outside, behind some bushes is no problem though.

But being afraid of germs on a toilet seat? Christ, you don't LICK that thing, you just put your ass on it.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Seriously guys, what the fuck? You can't, like, absorb somebody's germs via your ass cheeks. And I've never heard of sweat-borne diseases. Most people's asses remain clothed throughout the day, so it's actually one of the cleaner parts of the body. You'd basically have to lick the seat, and even then you'd have to be in a pretty dodgy washroom in order to catch something, and even then there's probably more airborne bacteria there than "ass germs". And public toilets are often cleaned at least once a day, whereas your average household washroom gets cleaned every week or so, and with weaker chemicals, so you'll probably find more airborne bacteria at home than in a well-maintained public washroom.

While driving through Houston on a summer vacation a few years ago, we stopped at a gas station to use the restroom. There was shit everywhere. Clogging the toilet, all over the seat, on the area around the toilet. It's like somebody shat on the seat, and then several hundred other people came along and went "Well, I guess I'd better squat and hope I don't miss the toilet rather than bother going to a different bathroom."

And as for the application of TP directly onto the seat: I do this when someone has peed on the seat and there's no better toilet available. If they shit on the seat, I'm not sitting down; I may or may not get a disease from it, but I don't like the idea of sitting on someone else's crap.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    avoid at all costs or paper down the whole thing. but clean up after/flush paper away

NA as a whole disgusts me though in matters of washroom cleanliness.

I'm talking about our complete lack of a bidet using culture.

what, you think pushing shit around with a piece of paper is gonna clean things up?

how bout SOAP and WATER like the damn europeans (and Japanese) are smart enough to use?

that's the worst part of public washrooms. if you don't have a clean drop there's no way to really do anything about it except curse the standard of "push paper around bum to clean"

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I think the main reason we have no bidets is because we would abuse them in horrible ways you could not imagine.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    you people are crazy. I guarantee you will breathe more aerosolised wastes in a public toilet than you can ever hope to get on your ass

also, innovations in crapping technology!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I think the main reason we have no bidets is because we would abuse them in horrible ways you could not imagine.

"These bidet toilets are becoming increasingly popular in countries like India, where use of just dry toilet paper to clean the perianal area is considered dirty and unhygienic"

India's got their shit straight, why not us?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    India's like, the world capital of waterborne infection. You're out of your mind. Paper's perfectly sufficient if you're not a re-re.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    India's got their shit straight, why not us?

Two words: Shit fountain.

Incenjucar on