As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Mario All-Stars+World! Super Mario World Complete! We're all done folks!

GilderGilder Aw snapMacaroni PartyRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
supermarioallstarswm3.jpg

Hello everyone. After much deliberation, I decided to make my own LP. But you know, screenshot LP's just don't work for Mario. So join me on my magical journey through every Mario game on Mario All-Stars+World in video form!

Super Mario Bros. 1! Completed! Death Count: 14!

Oh god, it's my first time. Worlds 1-4.

In which I get a game over but hey, I beat it!

Super Mario Bros. 2! Completed! Death Count: 26!

Am I the worst Mario 2 player ever? The video makes it look that way. Worlds 1-Almost 4.

Mario 2 complete, wherein I get confused by the enemy names in the credits!

Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels! Completed! Death Count: 229!

What the hell Nintendo. You can't just put Bloopers in the sky. It's unnatural. Worlds 1-4. I've also been Gloobed!

FUCK THIS GAME. WORLDS 5-6. GODDAMMIT.

Intermission for all you cool-cats and chicky-babies out there.

Just what I always wanted! My very own First Quest defeated! Oh thank you Santa!

Thank every deity out there, this trip through hell is OVER. Worlds A-D FINISHED.

Super Mario Bros. 3! Completed! Soul: Crushed!

It's like watching The Wizard, except without a little girl yelling "He touched my breasts!" Worlds 1 and 2.

I like naming things. Also boat boat boat. Worlds 3 and 4.

Whoa man, it's like I was climbing. Into the SKY! Worlds 5 and 6.

I AM KING DUMBASS, KING OF DUMBASSIA. MARIO 3 DONE!

I'm not terrible at everything guys! Cave Story Hell Run follow-up intermission video to make up for how bad I was in the last Mario 3 video.

Super Mario World! Complete!

Super Mario World! It's a blast from the past! Super Mario World! Worlds 1 and 2!

This is the worst Vanilla I've ever had. It's full of rocks. World 3!

These soda lakes....... are making me thirsty! Worlds 4 and 5!

You have betrayed me for the last time Monty Mole! World 6 and Star Road!

Oh I'm just wild about Larry! And Larry's wild about me! World 7!

We're done folks! Super Mario World Special World and Bowser's Castle!

We're sorry Gilder, but your completed LP is in another topic! Hahaha, just kidding!

B-b-b-bonus videos!

Ohtsam plays some Mario 3. Hates life.

Ohtsam plays world 3 of Mario 3. Makes sweet passionate love to Big Bertha.

Shady3011 goes through worlds 1 and 2 of Lost Levels as Luigi, about 1 year after I went through as Mario.

Shady goes through worlds 3 and 4.

Shady does world 5.

This is my first time and while I am bad with criticism and I'm self-conscious, I would still appreciate your thoughts.

Also companion videos are welcome for any of these games, now that I've finished them all.

I received mod permission to post this thread. If you want to do a similar thread, be sure to ask for mod permission yourself. And, as for how I recorded this video? Don't bother asking, because I won't answer.

Gilder on

• Options
    jmdbcooljmdbcool Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I owned this very cart for the SNES until several months ago, when I sold it on Amazon for $30.

Before doing that however, I beat the first Super Mario Bros. for the first time all the way through, using no warps.

10-20-06_2050.jpg

jmdbcool on
    dragons2.jpgdragon-sig-edge.gif
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This was the first game I ever beat, at the tender age of 3.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I figured it would hold fond memories for most people here. It really is the best game compilation ever in my opinion. They not only gave us the old games but they gave them a complete make-over. It was so awesome of nintendo to do that.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Very much so.
    I remember having another mario game which had the old Mario Vs game from Arcades that made me HATE MYSELF because I couldn't beat anyone ever.

Also Gilder, you are a funny bitch.

"Because he's a MURDERER!"
    In case you forgot, you said that in the video, and I lol'd.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    don't have +World, but All-Stars is still fantastic. And it finally gave us SMB2JPN, my favorite Mario.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007

YES.

I should really play through the lost levels. Only one of the games I haven't beat on All-stars. Maybe I'll go do that!

eric. on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    They made a +World version? who knew

It's going to be like 5 Let's Play threads in one!

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I am having a hell of a time finding my SNES controllers...

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    exist wrote: »

They even gave Luigi a new sprite for Super Mario World.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Yeah, +World is really rare though from my understanding. And it also makes me kind of angry at Nintendo because you can just see how much empty space there was on the original mario world cart since they had room for 4 other games. Those marketing bastards!

And Local H Jay, thanks for the praise. As I've said, this is my first time so I was really nervous about what to say.

Gilder on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

They even gave Luigi a new sprite for Super Mario World.

so now not only is my copy of All Stars obsolete, but also my copy of SMW

great

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I am feeling the urge to break out my SNES and play this again. Man, SMW+AS rocked hard.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Gilder wrote: »

Yeah, +World is really rare though from my understanding. And it also makes me kind of angry at Nintendo because you can just see how much empty space there was on the original mario world cart since they had room for 4 other games. Those marketing bastards!

And Local H Jay, thanks for the praise. As I've said, this is my first time so I was really nervous about what to say.

As I understand it, All Stars + World was shipped as a pack-in bonus to SNES consoles a bit later in the console's lifetime (around 1994-1995, I think... Wikipedia says December 1994). I don't think it's really fair to say that Nintendo did a poor job with the amount of content in World, as it is quite possible that when World was initially issued in 1990, they didn't have as large cartridge sizes. I know I can recall quite a few late-era SNES games being ogled over for cart sizes that were unheard of before them.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Let's Play threads are awesome. Great stuff Gilder.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    edited September 2007

As I understand it, All Stars + World was shipped as a pack-in bonus to SNES consoles a bit later in the console's lifetime (around 1994-1995, I think... Wikipedia says December 1994). I don't think it's really fair to say that Nintendo did a poor job with the amount of content in World, as it is quite possible that when World was initially issued in 1990, they didn't have as large cartridge sizes. I know I can recall quite a few late-era SNES games being ogled over for cart sizes that were unheard of before them.

Yeah, that is true. And Mario World was also a pack-in launch title wasn't it? It's been so long.

Also I'm going to try and have a video per day if you guys want me to continue. The games are fun and not incredibly challenging so it's not like it's a chore. I'll also edit the title when I add another video to make it easier on you guys. Also, I'm going to try to have super special secret intermission videos when I feel they're warranted. Probably when I'm killing myself in Lost Levels. It'll be just swell.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I just finished watching your Google Video, and Glider man, you sound like a really funny guy, dude. Come onnnnnnn episode two!!

eric. on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

Yeah, that is true. And Mario World was also a pack-in launch title wasn't it? It's been so long.

Also I'm going to try and have a video per day if you guys want me to continue. The games are fun and not incredibly challenging so it's not like it's a chore. I'll also edit the title when I add another video to make it easier on you guys. Also, I'm going to try to have super special secret intermission videos when I feel they're warranted. Probably when I'm killing myself in Lost Levels. It'll be just swell.

You definitely need to do 2nd Quest. if it's anything like the one in Lost Levels, it's only 4 more worlds.

Also I'm finally gonna get to see the bonus World 9s! I've never beaten a Mario without warps... Almost did it for Lost Levels but I accidentally hit one of those fuckers that warps you backwards.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like video Let's Plays.

Like La Mulana.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That was good. I liked it.

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

You definitely need to do 2nd Quest. if it's anything like the one in Lost Levels, it's only 4 more worlds.

Also I'm finally gonna get to see the bonus World 9s! I've never beaten a Mario without warps... Almost did it for Lost Levels but I accidentally hit one of those fuckers that warps you backwards.

Oh god is there actually different stuff in Mario 1's second quest? I've never actually done it past level 1. I just thought it made all the goombas buzzy beetles and that was it. Damn, if there's actually new stuff to it I'm gonna have to do it. Can anyone confirm? Because nobody wants to watch the same game but without goombas.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yoshi is fucking pussified. Bailing out at on the castle levels. Phht. He can go on an adventure by himself, but not aide his friend.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Oh god is there actually different stuff in Mario 1's second quest? I've never actually done it past level 1. I just thought it made all the goombas buzzy beetles and that was it. Damn, if there's actually new stuff to it I'm gonna have to do it. Can anyone confirm? Because nobody wants to watch the same game but without goombas.
    I've never done Mario 1's Second Quest, but Lost Levels definitely has different levels. The castle of World D is trippy as fuck.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    That squid tore you a new one man... I hate them!

EDIT: That flying fish totally killed you. I don't know how you didn't die.

urahonky on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Bloopers were always the most annoying enemy.

Polago on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay that was hilarious... Good job.

Also: Your reaction to the koopa hurting you was classic.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    That squid tore you a new one man... I hate them!

EDIT: That flying fish totally killed you. I don't know how you didn't die.

I swam right into that squid though from what I remember. I don't really remember the fish that should've killed me but I think it was made up for by the koopa I totally stomped that hit me as well as my multiple failures at stepping on 3 enemies in a row.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Polago wrote: »
    Bloopers were always the most annoying enemy.

If you stand at the bottom and you're little/you duck, they can't reach you.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Midnight SynergyMidnight Synergy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Very cute!

Still haven't played SMB1 or Lost Levels, but I looooooved SMB3, SMW and Yoshi's Island in its day. It's incredible how well these games still hold up today.

Midnight Synergy on
    msbanner468x60.png
    http://www.midnightsynergy.com
    Retro Inspired Puzzle, Arcade and Adventure Games.
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, +World is really rare though from my understanding. And it also makes me kind of angry at Nintendo because you can just see how much empty space there was on the original mario world cart since they had room for 4 other games. Those marketing bastards!.
    Really? I bought it for like five bucks from a friend. Guess I got a good deal.

Frem on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mario did seem to be fatter in prior games.

And Super Mario All-Stars does indeed rock.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Alright guys, I just completed Mario 1 and the video is uploading as I type this message. All I have to do is add in the comments or whatever when it's done and it should be up tonight, assuming my internet doesn't die or something in mid-upload. It's uhhhh..... well you'll see. Like I say in the video, my audio fucked up the first time so it is take 2 but you guys will find out what you missed. Also, I get a game over and I cry inside at the loss of a 1-Up. Look forward to it.

And so with Mario 1 down, I'm moving on to Mario 2. Not Lost Levels though, I'll do that after. That way I have the fantastic Mario 3 to play right after. But I want to have this in INTERACTIVEVISION! So I want you guys to choose who I'll play as in Mario 2. Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Toad. Your choice.
    If you pick Toad I will murder all of you.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Luigi cause of the wiggle walk.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Toad. :D

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Peach because... I dunno.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Alright guys, I just completed Mario 1 and the video is uploading as I type this message. All I have to do is add in the comments or whatever when it's done and it should be up tonight, assuming my internet doesn't die or something in mid-upload. It's uhhhh..... well you'll see. Like I say in the video, my audio fucked up the first time so it is take 2 but you guys will find out what you missed. Also, I get a game over and I cry inside at the loss of a 1-Up. Look forward to it.

And so with Mario 1 down, I'm moving on to Mario 2. Not Lost Levels though, I'll do that after. That way I have the fantastic Mario 3 to play right after. But I want to have this in INTERACTIVEVISION! So I want you guys to choose who I'll play as in Mario 2. Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Toad. Your choice.

Did you do Second Quest?

Also, rotate through the characters, using a different one every level.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Did you do Second Quest?

^ seconded!

eric. on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    eric. wrote: »

Did you do Second Quest?

^ seconded!

Hmmm that's a good idea. I could try and do that. And I didn't do second quest yet because I'd like if someone could confirm if there's anything actually new. If there is, I'll do it. I just don't want to bore people with the same exact thing. I saved and quit so the file should be second quest now anyway. The video was long enough though. With all my screw-ups it took me about 35 minutes to finish the last worlds.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    eric. wrote: »

Did you do Second Quest?

^ seconded!

Hmmm that's a good idea. I could try and do that. And I didn't do second quest yet because I'd like if someone could confirm if there's anything actually new. If there is, I'll do it. I just don't want to bore people with the same exact thing. I saved and quit so the file should be second quest now anyway. The video was long enough though. With all my screw-ups it took me about 35 minutes to finish the last worlds.

I'll go try and zoom through Mario 1 real quick to see if Second Quest is different like it is in Lost Levels. Shouldn't take too long if I use the major warps.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    As luck would have it, I had a file saved at the beginning of SQ. It is in fact the same game with all the goombas replaced by Buzzy Beatles, with worlds labeled *1-(presumably)*8, instead of LL's worlds A-D. Cross my heart though, Worlds A-D in LL aren't the same as Worlds 1-4.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    As luck would have it, I had a file saved at the beginning of SQ. It is in fact the same game with all the goombas replaced by Buzzy Beatles, with worlds labeled *1-(presumably)*8, instead of LL's worlds A-D.

Alright thanks. I won't be doing that, that's just boring. LL is going to be evil enough with worlds A-D as well as World 9 which I'm pretty sure I get by not taking any warps.

Gilder on