As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WoW noob advice

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Levelling up my first character (human warrior) in World of Warcraft was probably my most enjoyable experience in the game. Of course, that was back when it was new to everyone, so I imagine the atmosphere of the game might be a bit different nowadays.

I think that just taking your time to explore the world and reading the quest logs can go a long way towards your enjoyment of the game. I still remember the first time I traveled from human to night elf lands. It felt so epic to fly to Ironforge, then walk from Loch Modan through the Wetlands. And I remember taking the Booty Bay boat to Ratchet, where I was greeted with "Horde Territory" in big red letters which gave me a bit of an "oh shit" feeling.

SteevL on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    SteevL wrote: »
    Levelling up my first character (human warrior) in World of Warcraft was probably my most enjoyable experience in the game. Of course, that was back when it was new to everyone, so I imagine the atmosphere of the game might be a bit different nowadays.

I think that just taking your time to explore the world and reading the quest logs can go a long way towards your enjoyment of the game. I still remember the first time I traveled from human to night elf lands. It felt so epic to fly to Ironforge, then walk from Loch Modan through the Wetlands. And I remember taking the Booty Bay boat to Ratchet, where I was greeted with "Horde Territory" in big red letters which gave me a bit of an "oh shit" feeling.

Until you realise that walking around in enemy territory where there could be many dangerous level 70s is not adrenalin-inducing in the slightest.

Because they're level 70, if they see you, and want to kill you, you CANNOT escape. For it to be dangerous implies that you COULD die, not that you WILL die. Its not scary, its just frustrating and annoying.

And yes, the atmosphere of the game is very different now. Everyone is obsessed with getting to 58 as quickly as possible and getting to Outland, so everyone is either solo questing or grinding, no one really cares about pre-BC instances much. Once they get to 58, everyone is obsessed with getting to 70 as quickly as possible, so they're solo questing or grinding. Instance-running picks up a little though.

And then, once they get to 70, everyone is obsessed with running and rerunning raids to get good gear.

No one just wants to PLAY anymore.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, that is pretty depressing.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »
    My best advice to ANYONE starting world of warcraft goes something like this:

1) Do not ever go to Thottbot, Wowhead, or anything other than the official site (NOT THE FORUMS), for information about the game. You do this, and the mystique and vastness of the game will quickly become diminished.

I agree with the points besides the alliance is easier than Horde one (Since uh, I found Horde Easier. I think it varies server to server).

But, some quests can be truly obnoxious, and you might miss entire instances like I did when I first played (Deadmines? What's a Deadmines?). So while I recommend not using it often, it can still be a useful tool when you're just truly stumped :P (Or there's a bug you have to work around, and so forth)

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I agree, it's okay to use WH as a helper but don't go researching your quests as soon as you get them or something like that. Also, don't worry about your talent tree until you reach Outlands or so, since before then it doesn't matter really unless you want to power your way through the levels (which is something you should not do as others have said). Ignorance is bliss, which is why the people who know the most about the game and its mechanics are usually the ones who complain the most.

Opty on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Outside of barrens being poorly designed (though now remedied with flightpaths) there is no real difference between Horde and Alliance.

Don't listen to people. There is no difference at all. Both sides think they are so much better than the other, and cry about eachother's racials. The players on both sides suck equally.

My best advice to a WoW noob is thus: The only way to win, is to not play.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I actually play alliance, and I think the horde are way better.

I'm a self-hating human.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As has been covered, its a very personal thing, liking Alliance or Horde.

I put off rolling my Hunter for SO long, because I love Horde, and wanted to be able to twink out my Hunter once she got to about level 30, so I wanted to roll a Horde hunter, but I hate Orcs and Trolls, Undead can't be hunters, and I think a Tauren shooting a gun/bow looks stupid, so I waited until BC came out and rolled a Blood Elf Hunter.

I debated many times just rolling a Night Elf hunter, and even got to the point of creating the character, but I never played it.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Seg wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    3) TRY the Horde first, and if you don't like it go back to the Alliance. Alliance = easy mode.

I'm not disputing this, but I am curious as to what way the Alliance is easy mode?

I've never played Alliance beyond a level 9 night elf Hunter and a level 12 Human priest, so....

I have played both horde and alliance to 40. Honestly there isn't very much difference.

I have 70's of both, the only thing reason why Horde used to call Alliance EZ MODE was because of raiding and the fact we had Paladin's. Now that both factions have all the classes, I have no idea why people are still saying that.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My main mistake when playing horde for the first time was going to the Barrens. This turned me off playing horde completely. Avoid this place like a herpes infected Thai prostitute named Cinnamon.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I hate almost all of southern Kalimdor.
    Azeroth, Lordaeron and northern Kalimdor (Winterspring, Felwood etc) FTW!!!

But Southern Kalimdor. Ew.

Barrens especially. And not just because of Barrens chat.

There's just too much fucking running in a mount-less level range.

And Tanaris. God. Its almost like Blizzard said, "hey, here's a mount at level 40. Now you can travel 60% faster! By the way, you now have to run 600% further for all quests."

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

I......I do....

That may actually explain my brilliant 5 month plan (Yes I said 5 months) for getting to 40. I log off the second I'm not truly having fun.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I can agree that there was too much running in the barrens, but honestly those levels went by so fast that I barely even noticed or cared.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    mfc144mfc144 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The Barrens isn't that bad if you group your quests and do them in large sweeping routes. (ala James Guide).

If you do a quest or two and run back to the crossroads, get a few more and go back out, then yes, the Barrens will destroy your soul.

mfc144 on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As has been covered, its a very personal thing, liking Alliance or Horde.

No, it's really just picking what race has your favorite racials or looks the coolest to you.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    mfc144 wrote: »
    The Barrens isn't that bad if you group your quests and do them in large sweeping routes. (ala James Guide).

If you do a quest or two and run back to the crossroads, get a few more and go back out, then yes, the Barrens will destroy your soul.

Man, I like the Barrens no matter what. I've been doing it on my warrior (now 15) and horribly screwing up my quests, so I end up doing a lot of extra running. But you still end up completing like 30 quests in one corner of the map. It's a big place, but you get a hell of a lot of mileage out of it.

exis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I can only imagine how painful the Barrens was before they added the other flight paths. Didn't there used to be only one graveyard for the whole zone too? I missed out on all that fun thanks to playing Alliance first.

SteevL on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nah, i think there used to be at least 2, one at Camp T and one at Xroads, don't remember about Ratchet. I remember wiping a couple of times in RFD when I played alliance, and made that long, lonely run back... This was before the FP was added in Camp T, too, since that happened after I switched.

dojango on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, the Camp Taraujo flight point wasn't originally there; added in Patch 1.6, about 9 months after the game's release.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    SteevL wrote: »
    I can only imagine how painful the Barrens was before they added the other flight paths. Didn't there used to be only one graveyard for the whole zone too? I missed out on all that fun thanks to playing Alliance first.

I remember dying in RFD once and ending up in the graveyard in RATCHET. This was when there was a graveyard at Camp T, the rest of my group rezzed there. Goddamn that was frustrating.

exis on
  • Options
    Invoice NinjaInvoice Ninja Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I......I do....

That may actually explain my brilliant 5 month plan (Yes I said 5 months) for getting to 40. I log off the second I'm not truly having fun.

You sound just like me :D

I'm very new to WoW, and I'm loving every bit of it. I only have enough time for an hour or two each night, but the part I love most is seeing everything and doing everything and exploring such a ridiculously huge open world. I read every quest conversation, and I explore every new place I find. And I couldn't possibly care less about guilds or power-leveling or making a bajillion gold. I'm so perfectly content beating a couple of quests each night and building neat stuff at the blacksmith shop that I can throw into the auction market for some cash that I can spend on getting sweet new moves from the warrior trainer. Awesome!

It's really depressing to read the posts from you long-time WoW vets who have already done everything there is to do and now it's always about how "the only way to win at WoW is to not play!" I can totally understand why people get so burnt out - everyone hits that level cap, and then they start going through absurd amounts of work to get uber-mega-equipment so they can form up perfectly set-up guilds who are capable of beating these ludicrously overpowered mega-bosses but only if every single person does everything exactly right or everyone dies.

That stuff's just crazy. It all starts to make sense when I read about it on threads like these. That's why I play like the dude I quoted - once I stop having fun, then it's time to move onto something else ;-)

Invoice Ninja on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, the whole World of Warcraft was a lot bigger, more exciting and adventurous when I hadn't personally been to every corner of every zone. And also the fun of hitting 40 and getting my first mount; I didn't level up to 41 for at least a couple weeks; just spent that time mostly riding around at (what were then) really fast speeds and taking a scenic tour.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    When I just got my epic mount at 62 I spent about six hours hanging around in Tirisfal Glades showing off and helping newbies out with some quests.

They were all suitably impressed when I aggroed pretty much the entire Scarlet Crusade and popped off a single Arcane Explosion.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, I just got the burning crusade and added the serial to my WoW account online. (i'm at work)

Out of curiosity do I need to install anything from the cds or as I suspect is all the burning crusade content already included with the updates that I already have installed? (obviously on the latest 2.2.3 patch)

In other words when I get home can I simply login to Wow and get in some burning crusade action?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Updates are included. There have been patches since BC came out you'll just need those.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    There is something on the BC disks that you need for the BC content to work.

Seg on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Seg wrote: »
    There is something on the BC disks that you need for the BC content to work.

If he downloaded the game online, from blizzard, he's fine. If he didn't, and just patched, he's not fine.

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Yeah, the whole World of Warcraft was a lot bigger, more exciting and adventurous when I hadn't personally been to every corner of every zone. And also the fun of hitting 40 and getting my first mount; I didn't level up to 41 for at least a couple weeks; just spent that time mostly riding around at (what were then) really fast speeds and taking a scenic tour.

God I remember when I hit 37 on my first character, I was so damn excited to get a mount that my buddy and I powerleveled and didn't stop playing till we both hit 40. I think that was my longest continous session ever played.

The sad thing was, I barely had enough money for my mount at 40, my buddy couldn't afford his till 43. :lol:

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    If you already have the Burning Crusade content installed, your login screen should look like this:
    (spoilered for omg huge)
    BCLoginScreen.jpg

I think that if you don't have it installed, you'll get the old login screen. I'm not 100% sure about this, though.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Well, I installed it on my Macbook Pro earlier. It started to download the 2.2.0 update after installing BC, at which point I cancelled the download and as luck would have it I still had the update for 2.2.0 still kicking about. Good thing too since i'd have to wait for 600+MB to download otherwise.

Just installing it on my desktop pc now.

So yeah, works fine. (on my Macbook Pro anyway)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hey, I've got another question!

I've discovered way too late that some oddball junky white items go for an insane amount in the auction house. Which was like a swift kick to the nuts considering I'd just been selling these things to vendors all along (by assuming they were just trash).

The biggest one I've found so far is the plain, ordinary "clam meat" that you get out of the "small barnacled clams" that crabs, threshers, naga, and murlocs drop - it seriously goes for like 10G for twenty of them on my server! WTF? I'm guessing it's for people trying to boost up their cooking skill who don't know about fishing. But wow...

Yes, I know that 10G is probably miniscule pocket change to most people, but for my two lvl 20'ish characters that means money for mounts that I can start stashing away in the bank - heck yeah!

So anyway, do you fine people know of any other auction house anomalies that you'd like to share? ;-)

Invoice Ninja on
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Hey, I've got another question!

I've discovered way too late that some oddball junky white items go for an insane amount in the auction house. Which was like a swift kick to the nuts considering I'd just been selling these things to vendors all along (by assuming they were just trash).

The biggest one I've found so far is the plain, ordinary "clam meat" that you get out of the "small barnacled clams" that crabs, threshers, naga, and murlocs drop - it seriously goes for like 10G for twenty of them on my server! WTF? I'm guessing it's for people trying to boost up their cooking skill who don't know about fishing. But wow...

Yes, I know that 10G is probably miniscule pocket change to most people, but for my two lvl 20'ish characters that means money for mounts that I can start stashing away in the bank - heck yeah!

So anyway, do you fine people know of any other auction house anomalies that you'd like to share? ;-)

While I can't think of any offhand a good way to catch this is to do a FULL scan of the auction house at least once with Auctioneer. Then when you go to vendor random white items you'll see its appraisal.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Copper ore. 1-2g a stack, I can get a lot of it just pissing around the lowbie areas for an hour or two. Easy money at low levels.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wow, i've picked up loads of copper ore etc in the past. Damn, i'm gonna go through everything on the auction house before I go selling anything normally first.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    No kidding! Wow...

Invoice Ninja on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

The warlocks in my guild on my server (Dath'Remar) had massive trouble getting groups to run those dungeons. Eventually, all of them but one caved and bought their mounts like everyone else. One stuck it out and after about three months of waiting, got his epic mount at level 69.

So when I got my lock up to 60, I had already been saving well, and had over 1000g, so I just went and bought a damn skeletal warhorse and was done with it.

That's a lot of money, and I have nowhere near that amount. I probably could afford a regular epic mount though, but the problem is that my warlock is a Blood Elf and have no desire to ride a Chocobo.

As it stands, I was able to complete the Scholomance part with a couple level 70 buddies, and they even let me have the shards from DE'ing items in there. Those combined with me having an alchemist close to 300 skill, and my lock being a miner meant that I was able to collect all the other mats for this insane quest. The hardest part was the black dragonscales... I had to get my friend, whose skinner is only level 37, and drag him to Burning Steppes to skin dragons after I mowed them down.

So now the whole thing's done, except... now I gotta go to Dire Maul?! O_o

And it looks like I gotta shell out 250g anyways for the final quest materials, since warlocks on Greymane are not being helpful.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

That's a lot of money,

It's still 600 G for the skill to ride the dreadsteed. At the time when I was remotely interested it was more expensive to get the dreadsteed mats and skill than to just buy a bony pony and be done with it I think I'm riding a kodo now or something. Just couldn't bring myself to tolerate the aggravation of the dreadsteed quest. Then again I never did the scythe quest thing in ST. Shoot I never even did the infernal quest line either... now that you mention it , Doomguard? uh no again.

Course it was like my 2nd 70 and 4th 60 so in no way was I entertained anymore by the "lore" and had long ago stopped reading quest text beyond the title.

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That's a lot of money, and I have nowhere near that amount. I probably could afford a regular epic mount though, but the problem is that my warlock is a Blood Elf and have no desire to ride a Chocobo.

Do what I did, just run WSG/AB/AV for 30 marks of each, and get whatever mount you want. Belfs look hot on the undead horse btw.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    goodtimes wrote: »

That's a lot of money,

It's still 600 G for the skill to ride the dreadsteed.

You uhh... realize that when you do the mount quest, you don't have to purchase the riding skill to get it?

Riding skill automatically goes up.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    goodtimes wrote: »

That's a lot of money,

It's still 600 G for the skill to ride the dreadsteed. At the time when I was remotely interested it was more expensive to get the dreadsteed mats and skill than to just buy a bony pony and be done with it I think I'm riding a kodo now or something. Just couldn't bring myself to tolerate the aggravation of the dreadsteed quest. Then again I never did the scythe quest thing in ST. Shoot I never even did the infernal quest line either... now that you mention it , Doomguard? uh no again.

Course it was like my 2nd 70 and 4th 60 so in no way was I entertained anymore by the "lore" and had long ago stopped reading quest text beyond the title.

No, you get the riding skill automatically.

Why the hell would anyone go through the hassle of the quest if you didn't get a free riding skill out of it?

And its 540g for the riding skill, not 600g.

Total price for any non-warlock/paladin for an epic land mount is 630g. 540 for the training and 90g for the mount, unless you get a PvP mount.

Which I didn't because I hate BGs at the moment.

Oh and you really should get at least the Infernal. There's nothing quite like hanging around the lowbie starting areas (either the opposite faction or yours) sitting atop a Dreadsteed with lots of glowy weapons and armour and an Infernal at your side, seeing all the lowbies gather around you to check it out and then releasing the Infernal.

:)

I'm a dick.

Dhalphir on