As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NHL 07/08 Season: Who are you rooting for?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I dunno man, Calgary's showing a strong team if they could just...you know...PASS. I haven't seen any Montreal games yet this year, and I don't follow the post or pre-season, but I'm always hopeful. Ottawa can diaf. :P So can Vancouver.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    deowolf wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    Oh, and Buffalo, I think you guys will still be pretty good. Your potential cup-winning window may have closed though.

We're gonna surprise you! We have spunk!

Shit, we let that go to free agency too, didn't we? Shit.

Someone needs to let Lyndy Ruff know tha whenever he overreacts and throws a tantrum he looks like a twat and it is embarrissing.

Not speaking to any individual event this year, but last year and the year before.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Calgary's passing game has always been abominable. The year they should've won the Stanley Cup (and technically did, but they all missed that puck crossing the line and fuck San Jose) was because the Kipper and Iginla were playing like gods. Still, they will make the post season, beat Detroit and then lose to some random shit team. God I hate the red wings.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    CrimsonmonkeyCrimsonmonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This still cracks me up every time I see it. "That does not belong in the national hockey league!"

Also, go Vancouver.

Crimsonmonkey on
  • Options
    xmorridinxmorridin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Lightning all the way!

xmorridin on
    "It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it."
    - Robert E. Lee
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    This still cracks me up every time I see it. "That does not belong in the national hockey league!"

Also, go Vancouver.

How did I NOT hear about that? I've never seen anything like that before. Good god. That's almost as bad as when the Edmonton guy scored on his own team way back when.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Three words:

Let's go Buffalo! :P

Yall on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nice link Crimson. I never tire of that clip.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    ADPADP Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    saggio wrote: »
    Man, Canucks play the Flyers today and its on PPV. Boo!

Jesus, that game was fucking terrible. We lost 8-2 and Kesler got a face full of stick. Absolutely terrible performance.

Our only hope now is that that's where most of all the Canucks' bad luck will be concentrated for this season...

ADP on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Woo! The Flames have 1 point in four games! Bestest season start ever!

EDIT: Woop, make that three games. Still. Last place in the Western conference? What the hell, Calgary, what the hell?

Keenan.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, did any of you catch that game the leafs had?
    8-1

Where the fuck! did they get that boost of spirit an asskickingness?

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, did any of you catch that game the leafs had?
    8-1

Where the fuck! did they get that boost of spirit an asskickingness?

Obviously the Leafs kidnapped Ottawa's players, dressed them up in makeup and forced them to play for them to score 8 goals.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think I'm rooting for the Devils this year. But that makes me feel so dirty.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jean wrote: »
    Habs fan here,

If they manage to make the playoff I will be happy. I'm encouraged by what I saw in the first 2 games but I still remenber last yr meltdown...

I think this year the team will be more positive, it certainly has shown so far.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Woo! The Flames have 1 point in four games! Bestest season start ever!

EDIT: Woop, make that three games. Still. Last place in the Western conference? What the hell, Calgary, what the hell?

Keenan.

SPRTSed_10_15062007_SML.jpg

ADP on
  • Options
    tachyontachyon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think I'm rooting for the Devils this year. But that makes me feel so dirty.

There, there, it's ok.

*One of us....*

tachyon on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    And, 25 games for Boulerice's shot to Kesler's face. Really, I'd like it to be more, but with the shitty standard's the NHL has had for this sort of thing (Suter's four games for chopping Kariya in the face, for example), its a good start.

I'm starting to think teams should be fined as well too. I mean hell, Boulerice is a repeat offender. Dude got banned for a season from the OHL for smashing a guy in the face with his stick.

Corvus on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    And, 25 games for Boulerice's shot to Kesler's face. Really, I'd like it to be more, but with the shitty standard's the NHL has had for this sort of thing (Suter's four games for chopping Kariya in the face, for example), its a good start.

I'm starting to think teams should be fined as well too. I mean hell, Boulerice is a repeat offender. Dude got banned for a season from the OHL for smashing a guy in the face with his stick.

The guy is a fucking douchebag. That hit was way, way over the line. He shouldn't be playing again this season, perhaps ever. It's very lucky Kesler didn't have anything too bad happen to him - no concussion, just a little sore.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thank god the new sticks are so fragile. I can't imagine how much damage that would have done with say, a 1985 Sherwood.

Corvus on
  • Options
    BuntaBunta Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I may have grown up in jersey, but my heart belongs to the Rangers. I still remember the early 90's when Vanbiesbrouk and Richter both tended the net. I haven't kept up with hockey the past few years though, and this whole colors for home games, white on the road still confuses me when I watch games.

Bunta on
  • Options
    ShyftedShyfted Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Let's Go Flyers!

Shyfted on
  • Options
    BrynjBrynj Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A win tonight and 4 points total for the Penguins so far.

Though only 1-7 on the power play against the Leafs. With the kind of offense they have, that just cannot be acceptable going forward.

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Brynj wrote: »
    A win tonight and 4 points total for the Penguins so far.

Though only 1-7 on the power play against the Leafs. With the kind of offense they have, that just cannot be acceptable going forward.

One thing i want to know, the leafs were good in the first they were checking any everything, but after half way through the second it was like they were playing pee-wee fucking hockey for god sakes! What happened to the balls action of the thursday nights game. An 52 shots on a goalie jesus christ...

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I missed the first period and turned in when Malone put the Pens up 4-3 so didn't see what Toronto was doing earlier.

As for the 52 (:shock:) shots, 8 power plays doesn't hurt that total. Though like I said before, the Pens are not going to win based on their defense, they need to convert more than 1 of those.

Still, its an improvement from the 90's. Even during the cup years, the Pens would waste 3/4 of a power play without a shot. *Though when they finally did shoot, they would score, BUT IT WAS SO DAMN NERVE RACKING!*

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Take that, Edmonton.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    saggio wrote: »
    Take that, Edmonton.

x_oilerslosers.jpg

ADP on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm amazed, Vancouver can apparently actually score this year. Even when being blown out by Philly, they still got 2, and in the last two games they've got 9.

Keep up the good work!

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    K, so I'm headed to my dad's place tonight to catch the Flames @ Colorado. Calgary is 2-2-1, I believe, but I saw two of the three losses and neither win, so here's hoping for another win.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow. Just wow. The Sabres managed to pull one out last night. As one article put it, "The Sabres found themselves right where they like to be - 2 points behind Toronto, late in the game."

As for the Flyers, looks like they are teh win in their late and post season pickups. For now, Briere is really producing well for them, and Biron is doing a decent job between the pipes.

Bastards. Give us our players back!

I'd hate Briere and Biron, but they're both such stand up guys, it's hard to. Why'd they have to end up on my least favorite team?

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Habs were winning 1-0 with 30 seconds left in the fucking game then proceed to loose in frikkin shootout.

Talk about LAMEEEEEEE.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jean wrote: »
    WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Habs were winning 1-0 with 30 seconds left in the fucking game then proceed to loose in frikkin shootout.

Talk about LAMEEEEEEE.

Fuck that, Flames were up 4-0 and fucking lost.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Trus wrote: »

That ENTIRE game was amateur hour in the NHL. Both teams were fucking atrocious. The Avalanche handed the Flames those four goals (ESPECIALLY the second one with Iginla) and then the Flames turn around and hand the Avs four goals.

"What the fuck?" is about the only way to describe that game. What. The. Fuck.

EDIT: Oh, and that double minor penalty was fucking retarded. DOUBLE minor? The Colorado player LIFTED Iginla's stick to his face and there was no goddamn blood! And then the one where Iginla was called for tripping was the worst dive I've seen in years. Maybe ever. The NHL has to start calling diving or the fans are gonna go fucking ballistic.

EDIT2: Did anyone else notice how everyone in Colorado was afraid of Phaneuf?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What drives me nuts about diving, is when they call the penalty for Diving, and the penalty on the opposing player. It really ought to be one or the other.

Corvus on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What drives me nuts about diving, is when they call the penalty for Diving, and the penalty on the opposing player. It really ought to be one or the other.

I used to think that too, but if they simply called the dive unnecessary embellishment, or some such similar thing, I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it.

Yall on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

That ENTIRE game was amateur hour in the NHL. Both teams were fucking atrocious. The Avalanche handed the Flames those four goals (ESPECIALLY the second one with Iginla) and then the Flames turn around and hand the Avs four goals.

EDIT: Oh, and that double minor penalty was fucking retarded. DOUBLE minor? The Colorado player LIFTED Iginla's stick to his face and there was no goddamn blood! And then the one where Iginla was called for tripping was the worst dive I've seen in years. Maybe ever. The NHL has to start calling diving or the fans are gonna go fucking ballistic.

Every single penalty mis-call can be attributed to Mick Mcgough, the main ref for last nights game. He is blind as fucking bat.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Every single penalty mis-call can be attributed to Mick Mcgough, the main ref for last nights game. He is blind as fucking bat.

Eh, the Detroit/Anaheim game the other night was atrocious as well with no Mr. Mcgough in sight. I think the NHL wants to just move to 30 alternating power plays instead of actual hockey. I love the sport, but loathe this league.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Eh, the Detroit/Anaheim game the other night was atrocious as well with no Mr. Mcgough in sight. I think the NHL wants to just move to 30 alternating power plays instead of actual hockey. I love the sport, but loathe this league.

What the league wants, and I personally agree with, is to open up the game from the clutching and grab fest it has been for years. That's going to mean more penalties for a few years until teams get used to it, but as for the inconsistent calling, that's the ref's fault.

The NHL has been trying for awhile to get refs to call this stuff and they just didn't bother. Now that the NHL is putting a lot more pressure on them, they're overcalling in some cases, and then reverting back to their old habits as the season progresses. It's the lack of consistancy that's the problem. Frankly, I don't think it'll be satisfactory until they clean out the entire lot of current crews with new ones used to the new system.

Brynj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I don't think it's a matter of overcalling as it is being completely oblivious to people taking advantage. I saw a lot of diving in that game, the one where Iginla got called for tripping was just the most blatant. I understand what the league is attempting to do but they're creating an environment that encourages bad sportsmanship and rewards the players who are basically attempting to cheat.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    This is getting retarded. Flames won last night in an untelevised game. They only lose games that I watch, goddammit. >< I'm not going to be able to watch Saturday's game either, so they'll probably beat Edmonton, but are going to lose against whoever they play on Monday because I'll be watching that game.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Untelivised? Good lord, are there still markets where the team doesn't have every game on some form of TV whetter its free, PPV, network, local, etc?

Also, apparantly the Canucks forgot how to play defense over the summer. I mean, Luongo is awesome and all, but we don't have the offensive talent to outscore much of anyone, and even with Luongo being great, he needs a good defense in front of him. Theres a reason he never made the playoffs until last year.

Corvus on