As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: New Ver. RELEASED! Now in 3 ASCII dimensions! (NSF56K)

• Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mayday wrote: »
    Hey.

Testing notes down to 2.

And look what a guy from pixeljoint can do with my sprites:
    mikemayday_dwarf_edit.png

He's soooo good.

Oh god. Tomorrow, maybe? Maybe I should send my professors the "Absence due to DF release" email.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man. Man. When it's released, whichever of us manage to get it before his servers go down (if they do), be sure to keep the installer handy to upload somewhere and share the love. It'd be awful to not be able to get it right at release. It's a shame one can't preorder a free game. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    Obs IIObs II __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    So I want to build a fortress building game with this multiplayer dwarf fortress engine but I don't want to exactly make it Dwarf Fortress because Toady would give a cease and desist. Any ideas?

Right now I'm thinking of either two settings,

A Fallout Fortress where you try to build an underground vault in a mountain in a post apocalyptic world
    Vault_of_the_Future.jpg

Sim Ant
    ants2.jpg

Obs II on
    Lit'l ol' Peta, missin' his lita 'ile 'ercy plays in the RED.
    Down came the glitches, 'ey burnt us in ditches an' we slep' af'er eatin' our dead.
    :whistle:
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Roshin wrote: »
    From Something Awful... :)
    Manos-del-Sino1.jpg

I literally spit out some of my cereal after seeing that. Goddamn hilarious.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Obs II wrote: »
    So I want to build a fortress building game with this multiplayer dwarf fortress engine but I don't want to exactly make it Dwarf Fortress because Toady would give a cease and desist. Any ideas?

Right now I'm thinking of either two settings,

A Fallout Fortress where you try to build an underground vault in a mountain in a post apocalyptic world
    Vault_of_the_Future.jpg

Sim Ant
    ants2.jpg

How about an alien planet colony?

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man not to be a dick and don't take this the wrong way but I don't think you want to make a game involving dwarves and fortresses because entirely frankly you would have to work on it for years to make it preferable to DF.

EDIT: I'm not condemning the idea of a game, the vault would be pretty cool. I'm just saying, Elf Castle is about as close as you want to get.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This insane dwarf keeps trying to drown himself, but he keeps walking out, hehe

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Man not to be a dick and don't take this the wrong way but I don't think you want to make a game involving dwarves and fortresses because entirely frankly you would have to work on it for years to make it preferable to DF.

EDIT: I'm not condemning the idea of a game, the vault would be pretty cool. I'm just saying, Elf Castle is about as close as you want to get.

This is precisely why I am not gonna make Dwarf Fortress online. First I'm not gonna ask Toady "HEY DUDE CAN I COPY EVERYTHING YOU EVER USED AND MAKE AN ONLINE GAME OUT OF IT!?!?!?!111!"

And second I have a feeling many people would say "shitty df rip off goto hell noob ASCII rules etc..."

So really, I think the Vault idea is the way to go.

The Vault game would have a lot of similar ideas. Such as seasons. You go through summer, spring, autumn, and then NUCLEAR WINTER.... every year. And the resource harvesting, and the digging, and the skills, and workshops, etc..

And there would be a new element, radioactivity. At the start you could choose from many regions and every region has a radioactivty rating, such as clear, mild, manageable, worrisome, high severe! MONSTROUS! etc...

And instead of goblins and shit? Mutants. Mutant animals, regular animals, mutant PEOPLE...

and caravans would come to trade goods with you from other vaults and outposts. and you could send out the caravans to the central server where my server would match you up with other fortress and let you trade with other fortresses this way

And there could be road warriors who siege your caravans!

And since it's a post apocalyptic world there would be gun crafting and stuff, etc..

I think it'll be cool. And it will bring in a lot of elements I learned from SS13.

Obs II on
    Down came the glitches, 'ey burnt us in ditches an' we slep' af'er eatin' our dead.
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone else been checking back every couple of hours to see if it releases? I want to play but this close, man, I'm making myself wait as best as I can, hehe.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You do know that nuclear winter refers to a perpetual winter brought about by a global nuclear disaster, don't you?

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Prof. AwesomeProf. Awesome Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Anyone else been checking back every couple of hours to see if it releases? I want to play but this close, man, I'm making myself wait as best as I can, hehe.

Yeah...

Prof. Awesome on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So in anticipation for the release, I wanted to do a mockup of what the game would look like with isotiles.
    Sadly, it's nearly impossible to do it right without some sort of an editor. Here's what I threw together quickly (enviroment tiles made by Daydream: http://spriteattack.cator.de/ )

mockingbird.jpg

Mayday on
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That looks awesome!

wavecutter on
  • Options
    GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What sort of sane dwarf would be out of doors when they're elephants not 30 metres away?

Oh, wait, Dwarf Fortress, that would explain the erratic behavior.

(See what I did there?)

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You do know that nuclear winter refers to a perpetual winter brought about by a global nuclear disaster, don't you?

yes

which is why players will have to build radios, so they can listen in on when countries are gonna fight with the big nukes and prepare for nuclear winters, which could happen at ANY MOMENT, any season randomly. Once it happens, there is little time to prepare. But you can always anticipate by using the radios to read Global Tensions. And when the bombs drop and the radiation spreads you can sound the air raid sirens!

But winters... winters are always very cold and it gets more radioactive outside. Basically winter is the time when you shut the vault doors the fuck up (probably many layers of vault doors too so radiation doesn't leak in) and stay inside the vault fortress. Global warming makes an appearance in the game too.

Obs II on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Sounds fun. You should start a thread for it.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    When I've programmed a significant amount and it's in a more playable state I will.

Obs II on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    mockingbird.jpg

"There were no survivors."

EDIT: If one were to actually do that, I'd make the tiles a bit taller than the dwarves just so they have a little headroom indoors.

Rocketlex on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So in anticipation for the release, I wanted to do a mockup of what the game would look like with isotiles.
    Sadly, it's nearly impossible to do it right without some sort of an editor. Here's what I threw together quickly (enviroment tiles made by Daydream: http://spriteattack.cator.de/ )

mockingbird.jpg

I would kill someone for a game like that.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I found myself seriously wondering earlier today that, if I had a thousand bucks that I didn't have any plans for, could I get Toady to work non-stop until the next version is completed? Sure, I could probably use the thousand bucks on something awesome, but I think I could file getting the next version out early to everybody under "a good deed which will get Santa Claus to give you ten thousand dollars worth of stuff at Christmas." While I was dreaming, I also wished for a giant robot. Alas, I'm not a hojiliionare, so Toady will have to keep his normal sleep deprivation cycle (which I assume is already pretty severe).

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You would pay $1000 to get the version out tomorrow instead of Tuesday or Wednesday?

.....huh.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Which is exactly why he doesn't have 1000$ :)

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I'd like to somehow rationalize it as supporting the game developer, but really, I just wish some rich dude who could be like "YOU! Here's a thousand dollars if you get this finished right now. If you don't finish, you get clapped in irons!" Of course, behavior like that gets oneself an awesome room fit for a nobledwarf, complete with that curious switch that only I'm allowed to pull and and, for some reason, a flood gate in the back of the room. What was that, we need somebody to pull the switch?

*FWOOOSH!*

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    A smart rich dude would leave out the thousand dollars part, only mention the clapped in irons part, and get the same result.

gilrain on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So close, yet so far away... 2 testing notes and zlib. Gah!
    It's agonizing, how I have few days with nothing to do, and DF will probably finish right so that I have no time to play it.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    MiglioriMigliori Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I need this now. Starting a new game didn't do anything for me knowing it's comming and all my old fortresses are too big and complicated to pick up and play after months not playing :(

Migliori on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    All right. I'm in the process of editing the various text files and the manual (such as it is) that goes with the release and doing other release oriented tasks. Right now, I'm thinking Monday. Of course, my Mondays look like Tuesday mornings sometimes. I've been getting up at 1PM and going to bed at 6AM lately, so setting a numeric day might be a little difficult. Anyway, should be the last stretch. I think the zlib stuff will be all right once it arrives. I'll have to change a few things, but I'm told it won't be that time-consuming.

Toady sez Monday, or possibly Tuesday. Point is, that it's almost done.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh shits.. i was just going to post this.

I say whoever does not edit the OP with a alt dl link if the first one blows up = banned

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, the countdown link is gone.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, the countdown link is gone.
    Yeah, it's pretty much done.
    All right. I'm in the process of editing the various text files and the manual (such as it is) that goes with the release and doing other release oriented tasks. Right now, I'm thinking Monday. Of course, my Mondays look like Tuesday mornings sometimes. I've been getting up at 1PM and going to bed at 6AM lately, so setting a numeric day might be a little difficult. Anyway, should be the last stretch. I think the zlib stuff will be all right once it arrives. I'll have to change a few things, but I'm told it won't be that time-consuming.
    Weeeeeeee!

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    Oh shits.. i was just going to post this.

I say whoever does not edit the OP with a alt dl link if the first one blows up = banned
    When the time comes, feel free to find such a mirror for me and I'll put it in.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It looks almost as good as final fantasy tactics.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The pants, they are so dropped.

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hans also did a version where the environment colours are more lively:
    http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/files/dwarf_show.png

Mayday on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Speaking of interface, will it be any different in the new version? I keep booting up, poke around at remapping the keys because I'm on a laptop. Then I get distracted and close it.

august on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fisherdwarf wears a baseball cap?

Rocketlex on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I think the fisher dwarf's hat is a backwards tri-corner. These sprites look awesome and I'll be all shitting dick nipples when I can play it like that.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I'm a bit confused about wall building. Does this mean we could conceivably create a civ that isn't in the mountain at all? Because it seems like that might be easier in some ways.

Rocketlex on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Rocketlex wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about wall building. Does this mean we could conceivably create a civ that isn't in the mountain at all?
    Yes, yes it does. you'll be ablew to mine blocks and then craft a huge fortress with no mountains involved at all. Changes the game in a few fundamental ways.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule