As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Rogues: Theatricality and deception are powerful agents

1626364656668»

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oats wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »

Its a decent combat build. Keep in mind I haven't played the beta, but to me it looks like mutilate will be topping those dps meters.

I am thinking something like this for pve.

I think two into opportunity will provide more benefit than two into Imp SnD. CPs aren't going to be nearly as slow as in combat.
    My view on it is that impSnD provides more chances for Focused Attacks which is needed for mutilates (crazy) 60 energy cost. I can see Opportunity getting picked up with 3/5 precision though.

Yes, but I don't think we'll need the extra time Imp SnD affords us the way combat did.

I could be very wrong, however. I'm more focussed on WAR now.

Oats on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oats wrote: »

Its a decent combat build. Keep in mind I haven't played the beta, but to me it looks like mutilate will be topping those dps meters.

I think two into opportunity will provide more benefit than two into Imp SnD. CPs aren't going to be nearly as slow as in combat.

This is a combat swords build. How is Opportunity going to help me?

Esh on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

You've gone mad!

This is the kicking rad PVE build: mutilate

A few things:

Imp SnD is worthless. SnD is 21 seconds, with cut to the chase you use a 5 point envenom once every 20 seconds and your SnD will last for infinity.

You don't need to improve rupture damage because you will be spamming envenom every opportunity.

You can't not have relentless strikes. Ever.

You have a mighty need to increase your mutilate damage by 20% while behind your enemy (which is all the time in PVE).

You don't need master poisoner because it will not stack with similar effects, and basically every paladin ever will have +3% crit from judgements.

Murder is a flat +4% dps. That is huge. Okay, so there will be a lot of undead mobs, but there are still plenty of humanoids, giants, beasts and dragonkin in Northrend instances.

Quick Recoveries +20% healing isn't actually that awesome, most healers have so much spellpower that their heals will fill you up anyway (especially considering that down ranking is no longer an option).

So from that, Fleet Footed is a better talent. +15% movement has actually been proven to increase your DPS, seeing as many fights require movement and the quicker you get there the quicker you start DPSing.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pretty sure he was commenting on mine.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Pretty sure he was commenting on mine.

Whoop. My bad.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Esh, for yours I would probably swap those 2 points in Imp Evis for blood splatter. Since without the poison talents envenom won't be your ultimate finisher and rupture > eviscerate since it isn't mitigated by armour.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Rami wrote: »
    Esh, for yours I would probably swap those 2 points in Imp Evis for blood splatter. Since without the poison talents envenom won't be your ultimate finisher and rupture > eviscerate since it isn't mitigated by armour.

Excellent point. Wasn't thinking.

Esh on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not using Rupture? Sorry you should have more than enough energy to keep your SnD's going all the time and still squeeze in our highest DPS finisher in the game.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Good news everyone! (for once)

Expose Weakness seems to have been changed from 'combo abilities' to 'offensive abilities' so hopefully now that +9% damage will effect finishers as well, bringing envenom up to a nice +29% damage boost or +38% with HFB.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    dylman wrote: »
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    How the fuck is anyone supposed to actually utilize shadow dance?

Considering 99.9% of rogues out there bind unique keys to their characters between their stealth and non-stealth bars, does blizzard just expect us to fit 5 more on our non-stealth bars and existing keybindings? what. the. fuck.

Shitty implimentation. Shitty shitty shitty.

This is truth. The UI issues render the talent unworkable, as cool as it sounds at first.

I dunno, it just means either throwing a few abilitys on extra keys (4 keys somwhere), using a button to change bars (I have something like this on my priest, I use the middle mouse button to switch between bar 1 (healing abilitys) and 2 (damage abilitys) or waiting a week for the inevitable mod.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's far too cumbersome, I could "Shift-Mousewheel" to my second bar, but in the heat of the battle while circle strafing someone and running through them, it's just a giant pain in the ass.

What I suggest is for certain abilities to "swap" on your non-stealth bars, like kidney shot will get temporarily turned into cheapshot, etc etc. That way you get to use the superior stealth abilities, but not sit there scrolling through stupid action bars and shit.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's far too cumbersome, I could "Shift-Mousewheel" to my second bar, but in the heat of the battle while circle strafing someone and running through them, it's just a giant pain in the ass.

What I suggest is for certain abilities to "swap" on your non-stealth bars, like kidney shot will get temporarily turned into cheapshot, etc etc. That way you get to use the superior stealth abilities, but not sit there scrolling through stupid action bars and shit.

A simple mod, maybe a macro, could easily "if Shadow Dance is up then Kidney Shot = Cheap Shot" or whatever.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Frankly I wouldn't be too surprised to see it get changed before go-live. They don't seem to know how they want this thing to function yet, and by all accounts Killing Spree is still a garbage abililty, especially for a 51 pointer, so there's lots of work to be done still. As to whether that gets done before or after 3.0 though, that's anyone's guess.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »

A simple mod, maybe a macro, could easily "if Shadow Dance is up then Kidney Shot = Cheap Shot" or whatever.

On my feral druid, I just take my first three slots which are my three most used normal moves, and set my stealth openers to those keys plus an alt press.

What do you really need for shadow dance other than ambush, sap, cheap shot and garrotte?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why not just have a pet bar pop up with all the stealth abilities on it?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Why not hire 3 korean kids to push the buttons for you? Seems like the only reasonable way since pushing an extra button or copy pasting a macro is such a huge pain.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    While I agree that there are macros that make life much, much easier (see; the paladin taunt ability for the longest time), I disagree with having to require extensive macro'ing and whatnot for a 51 point talent (and yes, I'm sure someone else will point out that another class or spec has to / should do it too, I don't think that's right either). Talents should be usable 'out of the box', with macro'ing and whatnot having the potential to make life easier. Not be requisite to playing the class.

That said, I should probably look more deeply into mutilate, as I may be spec'ing into it for raiding if we keep at it, and if it's truly the king of kings in terms of dps.

Unenchanted as they may be, I've already got a Shard and a Fang on hand for that day, should it come.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Scroffus wrote: »
    Why not hire 3 korean kids to push the buttons for you? Seems like the only reasonable way since pushing an extra button or copy pasting a macro is such a huge pain.

Why don't you go choke on a giant throbbing cock?

Well, that and see Forar's post above, as it mirrors my opinion.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    While I agree that there are macros that make life much, much easier (see; the paladin taunt ability for the longest time), I disagree with having to require extensive macro'ing and whatnot for a 51 point talent (and yes, I'm sure someone else will point out that another class or spec has to / should do it too, I don't think that's right either). Talents should be usable 'out of the box', with macro'ing and whatnot having the potential to make life easier. Not be requisite to playing the class.

That said, I should probably look more deeply into mutilate, as I may be spec'ing into it for raiding if we keep at it, and if it's truly the king of kings in terms of dps.

Unenchanted as they may be, I've already got a Shard and a Fang on hand for that day, should it come.

Exactly. Any talent that requires a Macro to use properly is broken.

Shadow Dance was a good idea ("Let's let them use Stealth Abilities in the middle of a battle!!") that they're having a devil of a time implementing.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It's a neat ability and it dosn't require a macro/addon for it. You could keybind 4-5 extra keys (keyboards are pretty big these days, there is plenty space to accomodate this) or heck, even click them if you feel like it.

Using a macro/addon makes it a heck of a lot easier but its not required. How else could they have done it?

Scroffus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'll leave the clicking to you.

Well that, or the chinese people I have to hire to click my buttons for me? Or, something?

tldr: I won't be speccing into the Sub 51 pointer, it is too clumsy and underwhelming to be worth it.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm glad you agree.

Now excuse me I need to go find a dick to choke on. Any volunteers?

Scroffus on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Considering the suggestion was mine, I would like to be the first volunteer.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't understand how adding 4 more things onto an action bar is difficult. I mean, hunters at 70 are actually able to fill up ALL of the action bar slots with abilities, different abilities. All their aspects, melee abilities, tracking, shots, etc.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Why would you keybind tracking types? You can select them from the map icon.

I only keybind reflex stuff, combat moves basically. As well as stuff often used like bandages and mounts.

That said, I do have a warlock and hunter and it is a god damn pain in the arse binding all their shit, mostly trying to remember if I need to shift click or alt click for some rarely used ability that just so happens to be required right now.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I would go through my entire keybinding setup, and explain exactly why the Sub 51 pointer is a giant pain in the ass, but I really don't feel like it.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    gosh forbid anyone coming up with a ui mod that pops up those 4 buttons when you activate shadow dance

but how does it work with sap? wouldn't all your nearby targets be in combat anyways? it made sense when the skill put you in stealth

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They need to just axe the talent, make Killing Spree the Sub 51 pointer and come up with something that makes sense for Combat.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    is there something I'm missing about it? whats bad with 3-5 free ambushes? that with tricks of the trade for pve seems like a nice deal.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    well more like 2-3 I guess. what with energy costs. or until the level cap is high enough to get adrenaline rush as well.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I think it's mostly the fact that everyone who I've read that's used it finds it cumbersome and in a tree that, let's face it, is primarily suited to PvP, that's not all too desireable a trait in a top-tier ability. Plus, Killing Spree makes sense in terms of progression from Shadowstep; an "upgrade" of sorts, in that it's a shadowstep-auto attack-sinister strike (sort of, doesn't add a combo point but still).

Halfmex on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would go through my entire keybinding setup, and explain exactly why the Sub 51 pointer is a giant pain in the ass, but I really don't feel like it.

You don't have to, anyone who has Arena'd will get how much of a bumblefuck this would be to co-ordinate.

I am staying muti and never changing now I can do it to their face 8-)

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    well I'll still take it

and impress all the other sub. rogues as I picketpocket 5 enemies at once.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I never thought about having to pull stealth-only abilities out to be usable while running around normally for that talent.

... Damn, that's kinda clunky.

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.