Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Free MMO Überlist (updated: Oct 11)

AldoAldo Hippo Hooraythe swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
FREE MMO UBERLIST

Goal of this thread: make other PA'ers aware of free MMOs and point out whether these games are actually fun to play or should be avoided. I hope people will check on this list when they want to play a free game and have the balls to jump into the retarded world of free MMOs. There is fun to be had in them, really. Just not in all of them and not for everyone and certainly not when you're jumping in them with high expectations.

MMORPG
#-O
Spoiler:
Next post more!

Aldo on
Elendil wrote: »
said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    P-Z
    Spoiler:

MMO-strategy
    Spoiler:

MMO-other
    #-K
    Spoiler:

edited November 2007
    L-Z
    Spoiler:

Trials
    Spoiler:

Promising titles
    Spoiler:

Free MMOs are full of the following two types of people:

Those who are too young to pay a monthly subscription
    Those who are too cheap to pay for a monthly subscription.

As such, the community in free MMOs is, on average, horrible. This is why I advice you play this sort of games together with friends or people you've played other games with. These games can get boring very fast when you play alone, you need others to have someone fun to talk to and do stuff together with.

--

Looking over this list, I see a lot of MMOs that are practically the same, or they only have one feature that makes them stand apart from the rest. It is important to realise that just because these games are free, this doesn't mean the companies making them don't want to make profit. Especially in Korea these games thrive on so-called cash shops. Shops that sell items in-game for RL money. To make enough cash to pay the bills and get a Ferrari it is important for developers that they make something that people are going to enjoy or at least get addicted to easily.

--
    Aldo's recommendations:

Dragonica, Atlantica Online, Dungeon Runners (with a friend), Perfect World, Lunia, Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine, Sword of the New World, Puzzle Pirates, Zu Online.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kajusta wrote: »
    You might want to add that free accounts of AO might end in January 2008.

They've been saying they are going to end for like what? 6 years?

Keyword is might.

XBL - ArchSilversmith
    edited November 2007
    I'll change it if it turns out to be true.

• NorgothNorgoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aldo wrote:
    Asda
    Free
    In development.
    The quote on their site made me giggle. Besides that: this is a game you should play with someone else. You can be soul mates and share exp between each other. You also gain access to special skills. The game looks painfully cute and is obviously tailored towards girls. If anything, it will be fun to see desperate teenagers asking you to be their soul mate.

The funniest thing about this is that Asda is the Uk name for walmart. Walmart, the MMO.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Norgoth wrote: »
    The funniest thing about this is that Asda is the Uk name for walmart. Walmart, the MMO.
    Really? That is pretty funny. :P

• Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    from the little i've played of audition, you pick a song and the game throws you a big list of arrows to try to press in that order. when you do it right, your character does a little dance flourish, and they give you another list of arrows to copy. nothing goes to the beat of the song, so it's not really a rhythm game, it's more like a...copy the arrows game...and being korean and free, you can buy little hats for your avatar and other crap

it was pretty awful

edited November 2007
    Ah. Thanks Asamof.

• NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So ... is it possible to play Cabal Online? It looks interesting, but I can't find a place on the website to even download the client. All the installation section has is "Coming Soon" and the last news post (from January) has that the closed beta has ended. Anyone here know what state the game is actually in?

moebius.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Oh wow, I got an error message before it let me in "This game is for European players only" D:

Time to add that little bit of information in.

• DremDrem Registered User
    edited November 2007
    The keyword for Audition is "Bust-A-Groove." Bust-a-Groove was music/rhythm game released back for the PSX that revolved around you pressing the displayed buttons within four beats, and then pressing a specified button exactly on the fourth beat. You'd dance aside an opponent, and the objective was to get a higher score than your enemy. You could also do these attacks that would mess up your opponent for a while, though you also could dodge it with a special button if you saw it coming. It got two sequels, Bust a Groove 2 and Dance Summit 2001, and the first two games were pretty good (DS2001 changed things and ended up pretty horrible).

Audition is pretty much a direct copy of the game, except Audition is of course online and has some new modes and features. There's the obvious character customization and the ability for 8 (I think) people to play at once. The gameplay is the same as Bust-a-Groove (sans attacks), but features some enhancements, such as rather than each player given the same linear move lists, you can instead have multiple choices for moves to be entered that will branch you off to different moves requiring different button presses, resulting in different dances. It adds more variety to what your pressing so it doesn't get old quickly. It also features freestyling mode where you can press any buttons you want for 3 or 4 buttons before following a required list of button presses. The button lists themselves can get pretty long, with you having to press over 7 keys within a couple of seconds for some songs. You can also activate 8-key mode, where you'll have to use the numpad to use the cardinal directions and diagonals, and a reverse mode where some buttons will require you the press the opposite direction of what you see. There are also a good variety of game modes, ranging from solo to team to couple (teams with one boy one girl and you're both this one long button list with the buttons in alternating colors, and the boy must press the blue buttons while the girl must press the pink buttons) to b-boy (a team mode where each person takes a turn doing a dance move, and then one person on the opposing team will have that list flashed for a second on his screen and must then remember and mimic the same buttons on his turn). The gameplay system is pretty sound, I'd say.

What might not be sound for many people is the sound (har har har). The music list consists mostly rap, hip-hop and pop, and it's really up to your personal preferences as to whether you'll like the music or not. If you can't stand it, you aren't going to be playing the game for long. The music generally made me laugh with their bad lyrics, but I grew accustomed to the songs themselves. It's really up in the air as to whether you can stand it or not.

So I actually got a decent amount of time from the game a while back. I found it pretty enjoyable overall, but that was a while ago and I don't know if it's changed much. But really, it's free. So if you enjoy music-rhythm games at all and are curious, it doesn't hurt try it out.

And Asda Story's website is a barrel of laughs. I'm pretty sure every page there had something that made laugh out loud.

hacksigsig.gif
  • NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just noticed that RF Online isn't on the free MMO list. It previously required a monthly fee, but recently switched to the free to play (with optional micro-payments).

http://www.codemasters.com/rfonline/splash.php?return=index.php

As for the content ... it's more or less like every other Korean grind MMO, but one of the races is a bunch of robots. It looks really pretty though.

moebius.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the information Drem, I'm not quite sure what to do with it, but maybe if someone is reading the thread they'll see it and decide for themselves if they'd like it.

Thanks NAND NOR, I tossed it on the list.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dungeon Runners
    Based on the Guild Wars formula. Which means everything is instanced. Combat is not really exciting and it looks a bit dated. This game is probably fun for a day or two.
    Actually, it has very little to do with Guild Wars. It is a humorous parody of Diablo and Diablo-Clones, which happens to also be a MMO. More of an Action RPG meets instanced MMO, with a lot of parody thrown in for good measure. I do agree with the assessment that it's fun for a day or two.

Also, it should be noted that Anarchy Online Classic + Notum Wars is free, but the Expansions are your typical monthly fee MMOs. The two populations (free and paying) do mingle with each other on the same servers.

Steam ID: Hahnsoo, Steam Name currently: Hahnsopolis | PSN: Hahnsoo | Monster Hunter Tri: Hahnsoo, E8HJCA
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    shadowbane was great fun in the starting areas, but once you get out into the world it gets very bleh. could've used way more polish overall (it rains underwater, lols), but I did like the combat and races/classes. nice to have more untraditional playable races for a change like the minotaur and the centaur

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm going to do something for people who are interested in this thread. I'm going to go through this list and one by one play these games and do a short rating for them one to 5 stars and hit on some keynotes such as player base, grind, storyline, graphics and fun.
    I'm only going to do this because I tend to play a lot of free MMO's and whenever I look at this list it's overwhelming because I have no clue what to try.
    I will hit at least level 10 on each game no matter how horrible it is, I figure that's a good amount of time to figure out whether it is enjoyable or not, if anyone has any suggestions on a better way to do this let me know.

*edit*
    That being said, I will not spend all my time doing this, I work 40-55 hours a week and have a social life so I won't be able to do this all day but I will do what I can to update regularly.
    Also, I would like to work with you Aldo to integrate these mini-reviews with the OP.

First review, if you guys like it I'll do the rest of the list.
    Spoiler:

If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    AtitD is free now? We should totally get in on that. It's like Wurn with a better UI and an egyptian theme ( and no getting killed by spiders while making multiple hour journeys to the town). Although I find it confusing that I still hold it in such high regard considering that I quit because I felt like I was just playing a single Age of Empires peasant. But I remember it being slightly less boring than wurm which is a plus.

• JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    AtitD is free now? We should totally get in on that. It's like Wurn with a better UI and an egyptian theme ( and no getting killed by spiders while making multiple hour journeys to the town). Although I find it confusing that I still hold it in such high regard considering that I quit because I felt like I was just playing a single Age of Empires peasant. But I remember it being slightly less boring than wurm which is a plus.

I'm 99% sure AtitD is 24 hour trial then P2P, and you can only have one trial account, they check your subnet and will actually permanently jail your duplicate account.
    Also, at the beginning of Tale3 I stayed up 26 hours straight to get my guild's town set up and running and shortly after burnt out on the game. I hate community based games because I always work way too hard for everyone else's benefit.

If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Swords of the new world:

http://www.swordofthenewworld.com/

This game is actually pretty good for a free MMO - I spent a good 10 days /played on it over a couple of months with some mates. The community's pretty atrocious as you'd expect from a free MMO, but it looks fuckpretty and the 3-character system is actually pretty good. High level PvP I'm told, is very fun and competetive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • -SPI--SPI- Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Swords of the new world:

http://www.swordofthenewworld.com/

This game is actually pretty good for a free MMO - I spent a good 10 days /played on it over a couple of months with some mates. The community's pretty atrocious as you'd expect from a free MMO, but it looks fuckpretty and the 3-character system is actually pretty good. High level PvP I'm told, is very fun and competetive.
    God I wish that game wasn't a boring afk grindfest. It has a fantastic style and the graphics are great. And I love the 3 character set up.

• falsedeffalsedef Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Earth 2025, a post apocalyptic text based MMO strategy game.

Essentially you create a small nation under a predefined government system (tyranny, theocracy, republic, etc) each giving certain advantages (e.g. bonuses to attack, production, population, etc.). Your nation competes with other nations for gaining the most net value (there's dates for when winners are decided and the game restarts). This is mostly achieved by making profit off the player run resource market (oil/food/weapons) and/or attacking other countries for resource/land grabs. You can compete in an alliance, which provides mutual benefits like protection. Alliances also might participate in large wars against other alliances, involving hundreds of countries.

You get something like 50 turns a day, which may be stored for a few days. This allows the player to play his turns quickly every couple of days, or be more calculating and spend a few hours each day to get maximum efficiency.

http://games.swirve.com/earth/

A similar and more popular concept, Utopia, but in medieval fashion:
    http://games.swirve.com/utopia/

Both are fairly complicated with a steep learning curve, but some people might like it.

edited November 2007
    Updated

I can't find any information on A tale in the desert, all I see on their site is a fancy Download button and it doesn't say anything about how long you can play it, nor did I see anything about monthly costs. If someone can find me some proof, I would appreciate it.

JamesDM, I figured that if people wanted to know more about these games they'd hit mmorpg.com or something. I don't really want to make reviews of all these games, I want this to be more like a small list for people to look through and see if there's anything they might like.

If you want to go through with this, be my guest, but I honestly can't see how I could put this in the OP without making it a ginormous monster. Maybe you could start a blog or something? I don't know.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just spoiler his descriptions. Won't clog up your list

t5qfc9.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Just spoiler his descriptions. Won't clog up your list
    Hmm, I can manage that.

Good idea

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I played Runescape for about three years, and I can honestly say that the comment about free MMOs was bang on correct.

Runescape's free community is absolutely terrible.

The paid member ($5 a month) is not much better, but it is a little better, and the game is much better as a result.

It does, however, have almost no emphasis on gear, and every emphasis on skills.

EDIT: To clarify, by skills I mean Mining, Fishing, Smithing, Slayer, Runecrafting, etc.

Tube-san wrote:
    I apologise for my rudeness desu.
    edited November 2007
    21/11/07: JamesDM reviewed 2Moons and kinda liked it. He also linked me to http://www.irthonline.com/ Irth Worlds, an MMO that's going to be free to play in two days. The game looks dated, but it sounds like something very decent.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Drift City is pretty fun for the occasional play. It's a racing MMO, and actually pretty fun. Only complaint is that delivery quests where you have to avoid collisions are somewhat hard as other players like to go out of their way to hit you.

edited November 2007
    Okay, I finally got around updating the list:

Added:

* Drift City
    * Perfect World
    * Exteel
    * Pirates of the Caribbean Online
    *Freestyle Street Basketball.

I also asked Echo to move some posts around on page 1, because I hit the limit of the OP and require a second post for it. Once JamesDM finishes up some more reviews we're probably moving that part to a website. I think I'll write some about the cutesy MMOs I've been playing over the years. FlyFF and Trickster Online both are very decent. It seems like the developers finally received those English dictionaries I've begged Santa to give them.

• JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well SpaceCowboy is toast:
    Space Cowboy servers will be shutting down on 12/26/2007. Gala-Net cares deeply for our users, and we wish to provide those who have supported us with various forms of reimbursement. E-mails will be sent out in the coming weeks to your respective email addresses detailing any reimbursements that your account is eligible for.

For SCO Forum, please click here

Thank you,

GM Xarfox

steam_sig.png
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tale In The Desert isn't free, is it?

lolol_zps7df95a14.png
    edited November 2007
    Greeper wrote: »
    Tale In The Desert isn't free, is it?
    I can't tell from their site, if you can show me where it details how one can go around playing the game, please do.

Jelloblimp, eek, I should stop recommending the game to people, then. :P

• Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I downloaded Lunai today and it is pretty fun, doesn't really feel like an MMO, but more like a Shining Force game with online play. It has an actual story and you fight in stages, levels, not in an open world.

The fighting is good, you can form different combos and whatnot, only really played as a knight so far. Also it only has 3 characters, the healer, the knight, and the mage.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • froggyfroggy Registered User
    edited December 2007
    edited December 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »
    So I downloaded Lunai today and it is pretty fun, doesn't really feel like an MMO, but more like a Shining Force game with online play. It has an actual story and you fight in stages, levels, not in an open world.

The fighting is good, you can form different combos and whatnot, only really played as a knight so far. Also it only has 3 characters, the healer, the knight, and the mage.
    It's still in some sort of beta-stage. Not quite sure what's up with that. It'll have about 8 classes if they ever get around finishing it.

t froggy: I'll look into it.

edited December 2007
    So against better judgement I'm playing Trickster Online again. Apparently there was a massive overhaul a while back, there's hardly any engrish and the quests make sense now. Anyway, because of this overhaul there are like zero beginner's guides around. There's just no way to see if you're allocating your skills properly or how you can earn enough money to buy your skills and some new armour.

I did learn one thing today: you can better grind on low level enemies that you can 1shot than kill monsters twice your level by kiting. Tearing through armies of cute little penguins gives more money and exp than slowly tearing down giants.

I'll keep playing this game for a while, at least until my new PC arrives, then I'll be busy with playing demos and playing the trial of LOTRO on max details. <3

• JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User
    edited December 2007
    ATITD (A Tale in the Desert) isn't free. You get the first 24 hours (actual playtime, not account age time) for free. After that, you have to subscribe.

Game programmer
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anyone know why Space Cowboy Online is shutting down? That game was kind of fun.

EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    So against better judgement I'm playing Trickster Online again. Apparently there was a massive overhaul a while back, there's hardly any engrish and the quests make sense now. Anyway, because of this overhaul there are like zero beginner's guides around. There's just no way to see if you're allocating your skills properly or how you can earn enough money to buy your skills and some new armour.

I did learn one thing today: you can better grind on low level enemies that you can 1shot than kill monsters twice your level by kiting. Tearing through armies of cute little penguins gives more money and exp than slowly tearing down giants.

I'll keep playing this game for a while, at least until my new PC arrives, then I'll be busy with playing demos and playing the trial of LOTRO on max details. <3

I got a Raccoon to 40, looked at the XP the monsters at all levels give, and said "wait, what?".

Also, Ghost Blue (I think that's the name) is a ghost town (completely empty), so much of the good low-level training is gone. I haven't dropped by in a few weeks, so things may have improved.

• CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Exteel
    Free to play
    MMO with mechs. Heavy focus on PvP. Looks pretty enough, but I'm not sure if this game is fun to play. It seems like it's mostly about getting the biggest guns and then killing everyone else. If anyone has played this, please let me know what it was like.
    I was in the closed beta for this for a while, I'm going to go ahead and steal JamesDM's review thingy.
    Spoiler:

GxewS.png
    edited December 2007
    JNighthawk wrote: »
    ATITD (A Tale in the Desert) isn't free. You get the first 24 hours (actual playtime, not account age time) for free. After that, you have to subscribe.
    ah, thank you.

t MKR: yeah, that's grind MMOs for you. I picked sheep so I can AoE grind later on. Or at least, if I make it that far. Probably not. :P

t CmdPrompt: I'll throw it on the list. I'm afraid we'll be needing to host these reviews on some other place soon, JamesDM had a site set up, but I'm not sure how much traffic it would get and what else he does with his webspace.

This discussion has been closed.