As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex 3

KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
Courtesy of Gamasutra:
Developer-publisher Eidos has revealed that its new studio in Montreal, Québec, first announced earlier this year, has opened its doors to the public, and the company is inaugurating the facility with the announcement of its first project: a third installment of the futuristic first person-shooter/RPG Deus Ex.

Gamasutra spoke to Eidos Montreal's general manager, former Ubisoft exec Stéphane D’Astous, about the studio's business plan and the new title.

The Studio Setup

"We’re pretty much on track on our business plan if not ahead," D'Astous said. "Right now we're almost 80 people. Our business plan is over three years – we have three phases of expansion. The ultimate goal is, by 2009 we should be 350 people."

According to D'Astous, Eidos Montreal currently has two groups -- a Q&A group that is responsible for testing all of the developer's games from anywhere in the world, and an in-house development team that D'Astous says has just passed proof of concept for Deus Ex 3.

"This game was very highly rated at its release in 2000, and we have this great huge mandate to do the third one, and everybody is very excited," added D'Astous.

So how many developers will be working on the game? According to D'Astous, teams will stay small and dev cycles will be lengthier. He stressed, "We’re only working on AAA, major titles. We’re going to be developing only major AAA games, using only next-gen technology."

Therefore, he continued, "We will want to limit our dev teams to a human-sized team of 80 people at the very highest of the peak in the production cycle. We don’t want to become a huge studio where there’s over 100 people on a title. We want a smaller, multi-discipline group that are tightly knit together. But by doing so, we will give them at least 18 to 24 months for the production cycle."

D'Astous believes that attitude will be appreciated on the local development scene and in the industry as a whole: "That's music to a lot of ears over here," he said. "Some developers are really trying to push titles out the door within 12-15 months; we're working on plans for our first few titles that will only be released after 24 months."

The Appeal Of Montreal

The development scene in Montreal has seen a lot of activity recently, most recently with French developer Cynanide opening a studio there alongside existing developers Ubisoft, Electronic Arts, A2M. We asked D'Astous why Eidos chose the area.

"I think Montreal has really a unique offering to the foreign developers," he opined. "To my mind, there aree at least five elements that are very attractive about Montreal. First, there's huge pool of talent -- people have estimated between five and six thousand people. And this pool is growing year by year. Second, we’re having successful ways to grow this pool – good schools, good universities helping us to identify what type of talent that we need for the future. So I think the schools are pretty much aligned for the future."

He continued, "The third point is we have a crowd of companies in the middleware zone -- Autodesk, and SoftImage, for example. We also have a huge film and animation industry. So that really helps to grow this industry here in Montreal."

D'Astous highlighted, "Montreal has low operational costs compared to other cities. Montreal has always been a city where the cost of living has been very reasonable, and this is also true for companies. So we can control our costs. The real estate is quite reasonable, the talent is there and that’s certainly an important point -- even though our dollar is going up, I think we are still very competitive on that side."

Finally, "The last element is that in Montreal, we're pretty lucky because it's very multicultural. I think that Europeans that come here don’t feel [like] strangers. We have this connection with the European people, but we're working at the fast-paced business style of North America. And that, I think ,is quite interesting, and I noticed that it’s appreciated from foreign developers."

Returning to the subject of his preference for a smaller team and a longer development cycle, D'Astous concluded, "We’re trying to be as transparent to our employees, as transparent to our external people of the studio – we don’t like bullshit. We want to have a clear plan and stick with it. Too often I think products being delayed several times is a disaster for morale, quality and efficiency."

Linky: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16365

So. Deus Ex one? Awesome
Deus Ex two? Pretty ok. Some stupid stuff and was dumbed down.

Deus ex three? Hell yes. Want now. Looks like it'll be a smaller team working on it, though it doesn't really talk too much about if it's going to be more like one or two, other than the release mentioning one more than two.

Also it looks like it won't be out for a long time, but that they're trying to make it worth playing.

Khavall on

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Didn't Deus Ex 2 also have three endings? Is it possible for all of those to happen?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    KesterKester Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    agoaj wrote: »
    Didn't Deus Ex 2 also have three endings? Is it possible for all of those to happen?

There were 4 I think. You could just about have some kind of messy conglomeration of three of them, but seeing as one of them involves all life on Earth being wiped out in thermonuclear war except some cyborg guys, I don't think that one can really work with anything else ;-)

Kester on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh please take your time with this one. I'll be waiting eagerly to purchase this. Hopefully it's a PC game, and they port it to the other systems. Not the other way around.

urahonky on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    all my...

yeah.

redfenix on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    starting- 12:50 pm

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nah. You either side with the Dentons, the Illumniati, or go rogue.

notagame on
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kester wrote: »

There were 4 I think. You could just about have some kind of messy conglomeration of three of them, but seeing as one of them involves all life on Earth being wiped out in thermonuclear war except some cyborg guys, I don't think that one can really work with anything else ;-)

The problem with combining the endings is that they show the long-term (hundreds of years) effects of your decisions, with endings showing futuristic utopias or barren nuclear wastelands, depending on what you choose. Not exactly something that can be combined, like the first's endings were.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No Warren Spector, as expected. I didn't care much for Deus Ex 2, as most people don't, but I can't say I won't welcome any game in the FPS/RPG mold at this point in time. They're a rare breed, and I'll be willing to accept its announcement in the hope that it'll be good.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, someone get Ken Levine or Warren Spector on the phone, stat.

Brolo on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Or both

Khavall on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Isn't this really old news? Wasn't this announced ages ago, or am I just not able to distinguish between internet speculation and real new anymore?

Tav on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007

Hopefully they'll pretend Deus Ex 2 didn't happen.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hell, I try to pretend Deus Ex 2 didn't happen.

I hope the new game just makes you JC again. Alex (male or female) was a whiny bitch.

Brolo on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I actually hope you're not a Denton at all.

Also, small development team + longer production cycle = <3<3<3

Kami on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wish I could get excited about this game, but after DE2 I'm just going to wait and see.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fingers crossed.

I have faith this will be good. Its a new studio- so this is a make or break game. I highly doubt that they would ignore all the bad feed back on DX2. Most likely they looked at what made the first one so much fun and are taking that to the drawing board and not any concepts from the 2nd.

Good luck Montreal Edios.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    I actually hope you're not a Denton at all.

Also, small development team + longer production cycle = <3<3<3

I would love to hear who some of the project leads are going to be. Also I find it funny that an 80 person dev team is considered a small team these days. I am interested but very much in the wait and see camp.

corin7 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'd prefer it if it doesn't have any direct ties to any of the other games. It's cool if there are references and such, but I think a complete reboot is the best thing that can happen to the story at this point.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    steejee wrote: »

Oh my god.

I didn't know where it was going at first, but then when I heard the DX Title Screen music I freaked the fuck out.

Yay Eidos!

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That teaser is ridiculously infinitesimal (as all teasers are) but it still gives me a glimmer of hope. Here's to a Deus Ex 3 that's actually a prequel focused on Paul or a sequel set before Deus Ex 2 or something.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    wait.. is Warren Spectre not involved in this?? :(

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Spector is at Junction Point Studios: http://www.junctionpoint.com/index.html, who are under Disney Interactive Studios and are working on something not yet announced.

steejee on
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    God damn it I still need to play Deus Ex 1

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why does everyone hate Deus Ex 2 so much?

I never played either of the Deus Ex games, but I think I remember seeing generally positive reviews for DE2 when it hit.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I enjoyed it, but it's definitely not a good sequel to the amazing Deus Ex 1.

urahonky on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I never played either of the Deus Ex games, but I think I remember seeing generally positive reviews for DE2 when it hit.

Simplified rpg elemnts, unsatisfying combat, tiny TINY maps which were a concession to the X-Box's RAM limitations. Uninteresting story, unlikable characters. That's about it.

Really, all I want for certain is some assurance that the level will be hug and fun. And an epic if silly plot.

august on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Let me see:

Small, confined levels with few ways to travel around them.

Unified ammo for all weapons.

Shitty story.

No real consequences for your actions throughout said story.

Annoying main character.

Simplified Augmentations and modifications.

And these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Now I get to go on the official forums and write a small essay on 1 and 2 because I am a huge nerd.

But first I have to go get a haircut!

august on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    GACK!

Okay, I admit I'm filled with skepticism. Sort of. I want this SO BAD.

Deus Ex 1 is my favorite game of all time. Deus Ex 2 was very, very solid(as long as you ignored the fact that it was an unfinished sequel. Certain sequences were mindblowing.)

Deus Ex 3? It could be worse, or better. I'll still play it through at LEAST once, probably twice.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pants asplode!

The original Deus Ex is my favorite game of all time (#1).

...I hope they go back to the roots and not more of a Bioshock thing. We sort of already had a Deus Ex fps ala Project Snowblind, which wasn't bad but it was no Deus Ex.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Although they could take the BioShock engine and change the setting to cyberpunk without anybody noticing, I am glad a Deus Ex 3 is being made. I loved Deus Ex 2 and will anxiously await this.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    Although they could take the BioShock engine and change the setting to cyberpunk without anybody noticing, I am glad a Deus Ex 3 is being made. I loved Deus Ex 2 and will anxiously await this.

What did you not play system shock 2?

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    melatoninmelatonin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    At around 0:37, there's a sequence of flashing images. Through the magic of freeze frame, a selection of those images have been captured and uploaded for your viewing pleasure.

Spoilered for big and many.
    deusex1wx0.jpg

deusex2qi9.jpg

deusex3go9.jpg

deusex4vo9.jpg

deusex5mn0.jpg

deusex6dd4.jpg

deusex7uj6.jpg

deusex8vg8.jpg

deusex9ah5.jpg

deusex10ez4.jpg

deusex11vt1.jpg

deusex12xu5.jpg

deusex13xd6.jpg

Representations of religious ceremonies, enhanced citizens, some fairly obscure diagrams and a political backlash against the augmentation movement.

I'll be honest with you, I'm excited.

melatonin on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What is a man? A misera-

Oops. I mean,
    What can change the natu-

Argh.
    Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become.

Ah ha.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    melatonin wrote: »
    At around 0:37, there's a sequence of flashing images. Through the magic of freeze frame, a selection of those images have been captured and uploaded for your viewing pleasure.

Spoilered for big and many.
    Pictures

Representations of religious ceremonies, enhanced citizens, some fairly obscure diagrams and a political backlash against the augmentation movement.

I'll be honest with you, I'm excited.

GJ, and that also got me a little more excited.

steejee on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Spector is at Junction Point Studios: http://www.junctionpoint.com/index.html, who are under Disney Interactive Studios and are working on something not yet announced.

It is some kind of crazy cartoon-world project. I remember hearing the words 'Looney Toons MMO' bandied about.

Brolo on
  • Options
    melatoninmelatonin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Something that needs stating - the image with the ballot box stating "Biopolitic Vote 2027". Deus Ex was set in the 2050s...

Do we dare say 'prequel'?

melatonin on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    From those posted images, it could be taken that they're going in an unrelated route, not continuining the storyline from the previous game (Deus Ex 1) if only by all the augmentist signs.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007

Oh man that gave me the chills. DX1 music for the win.

Urian on