As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny-Arcade vs xkcd

• Options
    Matt!Matt! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had never heard of xkcd before, but i found this to be comedy gold

http://xkcd.com/44/

Matt! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I like this one: http://xkcd.com/337/

I also have imaginary fight scenarios running in my head.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I like this one: http://xkcd.com/337/

I also have imaginary fight scenarios running in my head.
    I think everyone who's ever watched an action movie does.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mithrandir wrote: »
    I'm sorry if I somehow framed my OP as some sort of competition, I didn't intend that. I'm not trying to argue against penny-arcade, I'm just trying to figure things out.

What actually happened was, I stumbled across the youTube video of the xkcd guy giving a talk at Google. This got me to wondering just how popular is xkcd, overall? My expectation was that it would be maybe half as popular as Penny-Arcade. PA has been around for at least 3x as long, PA is widely acknowledged and looked up to as an industry leader in the web-comic space. PA is a company employing at least half a dozen individuals, and AFAIK, xkcd is just a guy and a webserver.

So, those graphs I linked to really challenged my pre-conceived notions.

Maybe the graphs are wrong. As Thinatos points out, it is difficult to say in any detail where the data for the graphs even comes from, let alone how accurate it is.

But, if they are right (and they all seem to show a similar trend, though not the same exact path), then the question that nags at me is, "how did he do it"? How, in such a crowded field, did xkcd reach the same heights as an industry leader in such a short time? And then the next question that occurs to me (from the other side of the coin, so to speak), is, "is this a demonstration of xkcd's success, or of Penny-Arcade's failure?" Has Penny-Arcade in some way failed to capitalize on their status and notability to climb to ever higher heights? Should Penny-Arcade really be 2x as high on those charts as xkcd but they've somehow failed to manage it?

I just really, really expect to see Penny-Arcade higher up on those charts. When my assumptions are proven wrong, I really, really like to know why. I've not been able to come up with an explanation that I'm happy with, on my own.

Well, one thing is that it really appeals to tech people. Those same tech people tend to spend a lot of time on the internet, and tend to run some of the larger sites. They also have a tendency to be big into social bookmarking types of sites.

XKCD has been linked on BoingBoing.net probably a dozen times now, and there were periods when pretty much every one was on the top page on reddit, digg or both.

So, in conclusion, if you want to get a lot of internet traffic, do something that nerds really like. The more nerds you appeal to, the better.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Heh, I must be super fucking busy as I barely get to keep up with either comic. xkcd has the dry with that I love though. It's like comparing Jerry Seinfeld to Eddie Murphy.

FoxTrot could have ruled them all...

PA is Eddie Murphy

No, I dislike seinfeld immensely but love xkcd. They are different genres of webcomics, but I prefer xkcd (I also don't keep up with gaming news much, so don't get quite a lot of PA stuff).

L|ama on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Some of my favorites:
    http://xkcd.com/135/

This is the best xkcd comic.

tofu on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    tofu wrote: »
    Some of my favorites:
    http://xkcd.com/135/

This is the best xkcd comic.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, xkcd really has been in a slump lately.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Meh. PA does on occasion too. Most artists do at some point.

Quid on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I like xkcd a lot, but in a different way. xkcd is very clever, but PA is funnier (to me). xkcd is kind of sentimental, but PA is sarky.

And PA, just by dint of having two recognisable characters, allows you to identify, which is probably why there's a community connected to it.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Quid wrote: »

Honestly, I can't ever remember a PA slump. They have had an off comic here and there, sure.

But then again. I am basically Tycho, and my best friend of over a decade is basically Gabe. So In a way I am the target market.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

Honestly, I can't ever remember a PA slump. They have had an off comic here and there, sure.

But then again. I am basically Tycho, and my best friend of over a decade is basically Gabe. So In a way I am the target market.
    I remember when they did the Nerf comic and a lot of people were happy they'd gotten out of a slump.

Iunno, maybe I was just imagining things.

Quid on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Im not a regular reader of xkcd, but upon reading the most recent 10, I feel only about two of them were bad - and those are like 4 back from the first.

I do not feel there is a slump.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    http://xkcd.com/154/

sums up every Intelligent Design discussion

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Back when I first started reading PA (around October 2002 or so) I remember people complaining that it wasn't funny anymore.

I don't really see either one as being in a slump right now- although I do think XKCD makes more comics that aren't really intended to be funny, penny arcade can sometimes go a while without a new favorite popping up.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I say read both and damn the fact one may be better
    its only an extra 30 seconds to look at the other

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    PA is also heaviliy influenced by whether you're playing the game they're talking about that week.

It's a little tough to keep up otherwise

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    At any given point in time, a certain portion of any given fanbase will consider whatever media they have been following to be "in a slump."

Sometimes, this is an accurate perception. Other times, it seems largely imaginary.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    PA is also heaviliy influenced by whether you're playing the game they're talking about that week.

It's a little tough to keep up otherwise

Honestly at this point I think I've played enough videogames to understand what they are talking about, even if I haven't played the game in question.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You know, looking over his stuff... 1/3 of it is Long Distance Relationship Moping.

That's... not a good sign for the future of the thing... or the writer...

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    You know, looking over his stuff... 1/3 of it is Long Distance Relationship Moping.

That's... not a good sign for the future of the thing... or the writer...

He's just emo like that sometimes.

Doc on
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Call me shallow, but after looking over xkcd I can't get over the fact most of it's poorly drawn stick figure art. I know it's got some actual points in there, but they're lost when the visual presentation is lacking in delivering them properly.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Call me shallow, but after looking over xkcd I can't get over the fact most of it's poorly drawn stick figure art. I know it's got some actual points in there, but they're lost when the visual presentation is lacking in delivering them properly.

Do you also dislike Achewood because of the art?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If you blow xkcd off because of the art then it is really your loss man.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hah,

http://xkcd.com/356/

My roommate had a problem just like that for an engineering class in college.

Savant on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    penny_arcade_parody.png

Duki on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I enjoy xkcd more. PA comics rarely make me laugh out loud.

Also, I strongly dislike Tycho's writing style. He comes across as a college freshman who uses big words in his papers to impress his professors.

ege02 on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    He comes across as a college freshman who uses big words in his papers to impress his professors.

You would say that. God forbid someone enjoy writing.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I like xkcd a lot, but there's not much to the art. I'm not saying 'ooh pretty good'.

Just PA has more interesting and enjoyable art.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Also, I strongly dislike Tycho's writing style. He comes across as a college freshman who uses big words in his papers to impress his professors.

His writing style mirrors his speaking style, so it's not like he actually sits there with a thesaurus.

Doc on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also, I strongly dislike Tycho's writing style. He comes across as a Podly.

:P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007

His writing style mirrors his speaking style, so it's not like he actually sits there with a thesaurus.

D:

That's even worse.

It's just my personal taste though. I appreciate brevity and conciseness over verbosity.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I really can't comprehend how anyone can dislike Tycho's writing style, especially after carrot cake soup.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

D:

That's even worse.

It's just my personal taste though. I appreciate brevity and conciseness over verbosity.

Just like that fucking sentence right there.

Duki on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Why Tycho is better than you:

Long story short, I'm getting my chicken soup on, it's Sunday afternoon, and Gabe's reading some Preacher in the Den, which is also the living room, the bathroom, and the foyer. I am interacting with pasta dough in what I think is a stern way, when I hear him say that he might like the soup better if it were, in fact, carrot cake. It hits us, hits us both, simultaneously, like a semi made out of lightning which is also a professional boxer. Carrot Cake Soup. You cube the carrot cake, some pieces have frosting and some don't, and you put a handful of these chunks into a bowl full of milk. So let's go do it. We'll do it later this week, he says. But I know that's the same as not doing it. Why not now, I say? I know a store where we can get all the stuff. You can just buy it, the way you can buy stuff in the household cleaners section and make a bomb big enough to kill God. The stuff is just lying around there and nobody's doing anything with it. It's not a crime to buy them separately, and what we do at home isn't any of their fucking business.

I think someone might have been following us as we pulled into the parking lot, we walked toward the grocery store and tried to keep the conversation natural. We certainly didn't discuss carrot cake or the soup one might make by cutting it into cubes and swimming islands of it in cold milk, pleasure islands, like you'd see in a magazine. At the bakery counter, a woman asks if she can help me, and I'm so nervous that as I'm pointing to the carrot cake behind the glass, my finger starts to tap in Morse Code that reads:

I AM ABOUT TO COMMIT A CRIME AGAINST GOD AND MAN STOP

And where is Gabe with that Goddamn milk? There he is, in the self-checkout. Idiot. There's cameras all over that thing, it's like a Goddamn surveillance tree. It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together. A red light flashes on, and off in my mind. At another checkstand, I pay with untraceable cash, assuring the woman that I will eat the cake by myself, without assistance from cows. I smirk. This woman has no idea that she's just sold me the trigger to a flavor gun. Carrot Cake Soup is like the taste of watching girls make out. It has an extraordinary power that oscillates between gentle and overwhelming, between light and dark, between pleasure and more pleasure. When it was over, I realized that I was panting. I was in possession of carnal knowledge. And I knew that, somehow, every taste beyond this point was in the service of the one that still lingered, waited, to remind me that nature has laws, and those that break them are criminals, and though they roam free enough the knowing will hold them, and keep them, until the last.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I don't even know what that is, link please?

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

• Options
    edited December 2007

I don't even know what that is, link please?

http://achewood.com/

But I don't like the recent arc. Start reading here:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01252006

Doc on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    http://achewood.com/

But I don't like the recent arc. Start reading here:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01252006

Now that I can enjoy, it may not be first rate art like penny arcade or ctrl+alt+del's current comics but it's a coherant visual attempt to convey a point. I harp on the whole stick figure thing because to me it seems like a lazy excuse to ignore the fact that the second word in web comic is comic, and that implies drawing to a certain level of artistic quality with regular consistency. Then again, I'm also one of those twelve people who hated napolean dynomite and most of anchorman, so maybe I just have bad taste.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:

• Options
    edited December 2007
    it may not be first rate art like ... ctrl+alt+del ...

What the fuck dude.

Duki on