As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Have Never Seen ________.

1235»

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    I'unno. it just doesn't appeal to me, and as it's been parodied to death I think I'd have difficulty keeping a straight face.

Ah, but it is parodied because of its place in cinema history, not because it is ridiculous. I cannot imagine that the Godfather's je nous se qua is in any way diminished by knowing the parody before the source material.

I can. My Dad was invited to a special screening of the remastered version of Part One, and he told me that there were several points in the film there the audience laughed at a "classic" line because it had been lampooned so often.

In any case the point is mostly moot, as it just doesnt' appeal to me at all. Some don't want to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, some think the concept of Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is ridiculous, and I don't particularly have any pressing urge to see The Godfather. It's all down to personal tastes, really.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'unno. it just doesn't appeal to me, and as it's been parodied to death I think I'd have difficulty keeping a straight face.

You won't know if it'll appeal to you until you've seen it. I've seen loads of great movies that I didn't think would appeal to me. A movie is a movie, and you can recognize quality even if the premise isn't something you think you'd like
    je nous se qua

Exactly. S' ehst le viye

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ive seen the Godfather movies, own them, love them. (except 3... obviously...).

I hated Scarface. I just fucking hated it. I can admit that it is a good movie, which makes my statements seem like an oxymoron, but let me explain.

My main issue is all the fucking idiots such as some people who went to my highschool that were obsessed with "thug lyfe" (yo) who fucking worship that movie, like their goal in life is literally to be Tony Montana.

I hated his character. There is nothing appealing about his character to me. That is pretty much supposed to be the damn point - a gangster lifestyle can be glamorous for a bit but then you die violently and so does everyone you love.

I just think it is so, so overrated.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008

Ah, but it is parodied because of its place in cinema history, not because it is ridiculous. I cannot imagine that the Godfather's je nous se qua is in any way diminished by knowing the parody before the source material.

I can. My Dad was invited to a special screening of the remastered version of Part One, and he told me that there were several points in the film there the audience laughed at a "classic" line because it had been lampooned so often.

In any case the point is mostly moot, as it just doesnt' appeal to me at all. Some don't want to read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, some think the concept of Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is ridiculous, and I don't particularly have any pressing urge to see The Godfather. It's all down to personal tastes, really.
    Then you really shouldn't comment on it. I wouldn't comment on the Harry Potter series of books or films because I haven't read/seen them. Just because the audience one person was with was a bunch of idiots doesn't mean you should toss it out, too.

Satan. on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've already stated that's not a deciding factor. I'm merely re-stating a point that there's the worry that the impact of these moments in the film has been irrevocably damaged because of the extent to which it has been spoofed and parodied over the years.

The logn and the short of it is this: I don't particularly want to see The Godfather because it doesn't look to be my sort of thing. Maybe I'll watch it one day, and maybe when I do I won't particularly care that I've heard the "I'm going to make him in an offer he can't refuse" line used a hojillion times elsewhere. I acknowledge that for so many people to consider it a cinematic masterpiece there must be something going for it, but it's not for me. Not yet, at least.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    Double DeuceDouble Deuce Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wasn't a big fan of the Godfather, actually. Granted, I've only seen it once and I recall already being tired when I watched it, so maybe it wasn't the best environment to check it out. I remember it being very slowly paced, though, which made it tough to watch. I never got to the sequels.

I think I feel that way about a lot of "classic" old movies, though. I didn't like Cool Hand Luke for similar reasons, or Easy Rider. I think movies generally just had slower pacing in the old days, and I find some of them hard to sit through.

As for stuff I haven't seen, but should, there are a bunch, but Schindler's List, American History X, Apocalypse Now, and all the Alien movies except for the first stand out in my mind.

Also, I couldn't get through Full Metal Jacket. I watched half of it and turned it off.

Double Deuce on
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Since nobody has mentioned it, I will assume all of you have seen Glengary Glenn Ross. If you have not, it should be on your lists of movies you are ashamed to have not seen.

Go watch it now. Make post when you are done.

The Gil character on the Simpsons is largely based on Shelley Levene (Jack Lemmon's character) in that movie. It's totally obvious that the movie is based on a play because it's filmed on like two fucking sets.

And Sin City doesn't belong anywhere in the top 250. It was a badass movie once, but it just gets dumber and dumber on repeat non-theater viewings.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wasn't a big fan of the Godfather, actually. Granted, I've only seen it once and I recall already being tired when I watched it, so maybe it wasn't the best environment to check it out. I remember it being very slowly paced, though, which made it tough to watch. I never got to the sequels.

I think I feel that way about a lot of "classic" old movies, though. I didn't like Cool Hand Luke for similar reasons, or Easy Rider. I think movies generally just had slower pacing in the old days, and I find some of them hard to sit through.

As for stuff I haven't seen, but should, there are a bunch, but Schindler's List, American History X, Apocalypse Now, and all the Alien movies except for the first stand out in my mind.

Also, I couldn't get through Full Metal Jacket. I watched half of it and turned it off.

The only Alien movies worth watching are the first 2

you should just stop after Aliens

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, Easy Rider is one I really didn't care for at all. There's slow pacing, and then there's no pacing, and that movie just seemed to be headed nowhere. Chinatown is slow-paced, but it's still incredibly watchable and is one of my favorite movies or all time. Easy Rider just left me incredibly nonplussed.

Full Metal Jacket and Scarface are both really overrated. I like Cool Hand Luke, though.

darthmix on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Was it the 1st half? That was the decent half, even though it proved that R. Lee Ermey can't save everything.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Double DeuceDouble Deuce Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Was it the 1st half? That was the decent half, even though it proved that R. Lee Ermey can't save everything.

Yeah, watched the first half, didn't like it at all, gave up.

I don't even remember it very much. I just remember disliking it.

Double Deuce on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    je nous se qua

Exactly. S' ehst le viye

:lol:

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    darthmix wrote: »
    Jasoco wrote: »
    I went through the 250 movies in the list and removed all the ones I've seen.

I went through your list and removed everything that is not required viewing. Here's what was left. (I'm not saying these are the best movies on your list; just that they're the most relevant to where film is right now, and you'll miss out on a lot of important context if you don't see them.)
    Alien (1979)
    Aliens (1986)
    Amadeus (1984)
    Annie Hall (1977)
    Apocalypse Now (1979)
    Casablanca (1942)
    Chinatown (1974)
    Citizen Kane (1941)
    Cool Hand Luke (1967)
    Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
    Gandhi (1982)
    Gladiator (2000)
    Glory (1989)
    Goodfellas (1990)
    L.A. Confidential (1997)
    Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
    Life of Brian (1979)
    Mononoke-hime (1997)
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
    North by Northwest (1959)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    Platoon (1986)
    Psycho (1960)
    Raging Bull (1980)
    Rear Window (1954)
    Rosemary's Baby (1968)
    Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    Schindler's List (1993)
    Se7en (1995)
    Sin City (2005)
    Taxi Driver (1976)
    The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
    The Departed (2006)
    The Exorcist (1973)
    The Godfather (1972)
    The Godfather: Part II (1974)
    The Graduate (1967)
    The Great Escape (1963)
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
    The Princess Bride (1987)
    The Usual Suspects (1995)
    Trainspotting (1996)
    Vertigo (1958)

Unless I'm missing something, Seven Samurai was on his list of haven't-seens. That your list lacks that is an awfully glaring mistake. That one movie seriously sets the context for half of all following media period.

That's hyperbolic, but seriously, that's required watching.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Seven Samurai was one of my close calls. Rashomon was another. I love Kurosawa. But in the end I decided I was trying to pare the original list down to a smaller set of films you really need to have under your belt to participate in the american pop-cultural exchange, at least as it regards film. To catch the direct homages in other movies, or the references and parodies that fly around your average internet message board or Simpsons episode. And so on. Seven Samurai is a must-see if you're out to be a film major, or a high-end video store nerd, or something like that, but it's not something you'll need to know when you watch I Love the 1900s on VH1. And that's what I was going for.

And in the end it's just my opinion, so whatever.

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    But the introduction convention was carried in to literally every other ensemble movie ever made. Maybe you're right, but I think it's one of those movies that people just plain need to see if they're interested in movies in any capacity, even if it's the most passing interests.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Seven Samurai was one of my close calls. Rashomon was another. I love Kurosawa. But in the end I decided I was trying to pare the original list down to a smaller set of films you really need to have under your belt to participate in the american pop-cultural exchange, at least as it regards film. To catch the direct homages in other movies, or the references and parodies that fly around your average internet message board or Simpsons episode. And so on. Seven Samurai is a must-see if you're out to be a film major, or a high-end video store nerd, or something like that, but it's not something you'll need to know when you watch I Love the 1900s on VH1. And that's what I was going for.

I love the Seven Samurai. What's great is that it isn't even Kurosawa's best film. That honor goes to Ikiru, which is, pound for pound, one of the best movies anyone has ever made about any subject.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Since nobody has mentioned it, I will assume all of you have seen Glengary Glenn Ross. If you have not, it should be on your lists of movies you are ashamed to have not seen.

It's one of my favorite movies. Really stellar. Whenever Mamet disappoints me, as he is apt to do, I think back to Glengarry Glen Ross.

A set of steak knives. That's the best fucking motivational speech in all of dramatic entertainment. No, it wasn't "friends, Romans, countrymen", nor "either your brains or your signature will be on this page (paraphrased)", it's the steak knives speech.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    But the introduction convention was carried in to literally every other ensemble movie ever made. Maybe you're right, but I think it's one of those movies that people just plain need to see if they're interested in movies in any capacity, even if it's the most passing interests.

Not to mention that it may be the movie that started the whole "unrelated introductory sequence" that Bond movies use so frequently.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I just saw The Shawshank Redemption for the first time. There's no question that it's a really powerful movie, but at the same time it is really blatant tearjerkery, so I'm not really sure how I feel about it.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, I finally got Blazing Saddles courtesy of Netflix. I have not seen this yet, which is why I rented it in the first place. I'm gonna check it out later tonight.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »
    So, I finally got Blazing Saddles courtesy of Netflix. I have not seen this yet, which is why I rented it in the first place. I'm gonna check it out later tonight.

You made the correct choice for the evening.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Al_wat wrote: »

I hated Scarface. I just fucking hated it. I can admit that it is a good movie, which makes my statements seem like an oxymoron, but let me explain.

My main issue is all the fucking idiots such as some people who went to my highschool that were obsessed with "thug lyfe" (yo) who fucking worship that movie, like their goal in life is literally to be Tony Montana.

I hated his character. There is nothing appealing about his character to me. That is pretty much supposed to be the damn point - a gangster lifestyle can be glamorous for a bit but then you die violently and so does everyone you love.

This is why I have no desire at all to watch Scarface. I know that it's a bad idea of totally dismiss a movie based off other peoples opinions of it, but the calibre of idiot in my school who worship it is completely putting me off it.

Also, thanks for ruining the ending :P

Tav on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I watched Donnie Darko last night. I really liked it until the end, when they
    just pulled the sci-fi version of the "woke up from a dream" move. I still liked it though. Going back in time and letting yourself die thus negating the last 26 days ever happened.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    mastman wrote: »
    just pulled the sci-fi version of the "woke up from a dream" move. I still liked it though. Going back in time and letting yourself die thus negating the last 26 days ever happened.

That wasn't what happened.

Do you not know what happened?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

yeah, he saw the time portal that his mom's plane flew in, and since jack saved him and he killed jack, he went in the time portal with the plane and appeared back in his room and stayed in bed for the engine to kill him instead of leaving with jack. Then gretchen drove by on her bike and was all like "no, I never knew him."

At least thats what I gathered after I thought about it.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited January 2008

yeah, he saw the time portal that his mom's plane flew in, and since jack saved him and he killed jack, he went in the time portal with the plane and appeared back in his room and stayed in bed for the engine to kill him instead of leaving with jack. Then gretchen drove by on her bike and was all like "no, I never knew him."

The whole point of the ending is that Donnie realizes that the people he loved would be better off if he had died, he then teleports the engine back to that night, and kills himself with it, essentially.

The ending is the thing that makes DD such an amazing movie... unfortunately, I saw it like, two years after everyone else, so no one wanted to talk about it...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

The whole point of the ending is that Donnie realizes that the people he loved would be better off if he had died, he then teleports the engine back to that night, and kills himself with it, essentially.

The ending is the thing that makes DD such an amazing movie... unfortunately, I saw it like, two years after everyone else, so no one wanted to talk about it...

That's because everyone has been busy calling it overrated.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I figured that he let himself die for the better of everyone. Well, except that douchebag played by Swayze. Without Donnie around there'd be no one to get the guy caught with all his kiddie porn, and lord knows what acts he would be committing later.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, I figured that he let himself die for the better of everyone. Well, except that douchebag played by Swayze. Without Donnie around there'd be no one to get the guy caught with all his kiddie porn, and lord knows what acts he would be committing later.

Right, but the thing is, he doesn't let himself die..
    he kills himself. He was the cause and the end of the whole thing. In other words, the engine would never have fallen on him if he hadn't made it fall on him.

Which is what makes his laughing at the end so interesting... it's like he's actually happy...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    PlutocracyPlutocracy regular
    edited January 2008
    Tav wrote: »

This is why I have no desire at all to watch Scarface. I know that it's a bad idea of totally dismiss a movie based off other peoples opinions of it, but the calibre of idiot in my school who worship it is completely putting me off it.

Why are you placing blame on Scarface because you know so many people who didn't appreciate the point the film is trying to make?

If they want glamorisation of gangster culture, pop the collected works of Guy Ritchie in front of them and then ignore their opinions on serious gangster films.

Plutocracy on
    They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tav wrote: »

Umm... eerrr.. I mean... uhh...

yeah sorry about that.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Right, but the thing is, he doesn't let himself die..
    he kills himself. He was the cause and the end of the whole thing. In other words, the engine would never have fallen on him if he hadn't made it fall on him.

Which is what makes his laughing at the end so interesting... it's like he's actually happy...

See, I thought he was laughing because...
    By traveling back in time he proves to himself that there must be a God (based on that conversation with his physics teacher) and so he knows that he isn't dying alone.

Right or wrong, I like an ending that you need to interpret. Makes for good post-movie discussion.

Antishow on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dude, you haven't seen The Princess Bride?

That movie is amazing.

Oh, shoot. I missed one. No, I have seen it. I swear I meticulously went through that list.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008

I love the Seven Samurai. What's great is that it isn't even Kurosawa's best film. That honor goes to Ikiru, which is, pound for pound, one of the best movies anyone has ever made about any subject.

The movie was unbearably slow in its pacing. You know what would have made it awesome? Not being three and a half hours long.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Shinto wrote: »

The movie was unbearably slow in its pacing. You know what would have made it awesome? Not being three and a half hours long.

I know you don't mean Ikiru, which is at two and some change, but c'mon, it has Samurai and it has Toshiro Mifune. There's little more you need.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »

It's one of my favorite movies. Really stellar. Whenever Mamet disappoints me, as he is apt to do, I think back to Glengarry Glen Ross.

A set of steak knives. That's the best fucking motivational speech in all of dramatic entertainment. No, it wasn't "friends, Romans, countrymen", nor "either your brains or your signature will be on this page (paraphrased)", it's the steak knives speech.

I love this movie.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The steak knives speech isn't in the stage play, interestingly. Mamet has said he prefers the screenplay to the stage version largely for that reason.

darthmix on