As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How Call of Duty 5 could rock.

widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
Even though it's rumored to be set in WW II.....

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/08/rumor-call-of-duty-5-to-be-set-during-world-war-ii/

.... I still think it could be good, if they just set it in the Pacific theatere.

Press "F" to:

WW2_Iwo_Jima_flag_raising.jpg

There's a lot of ground they could cover, Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, the retaking of the Phillipines in 1944 even Wake Island where the Americans loose but it's a valiant, alamo-like last stand where your guy could go out like a champ instead of getting radiation poisoning.

Plus, due to Japanese tactics that involved....hrm...."a lack of concern for individual lives" shooting down waves of soldiers or Kamakaze zero pilots by the dozens would actually make sense.

There's a lot of cool, historical stuff here. Imagine, say, manning a turret during the Dolittle Raids over Tokyo, then crash-landing in occupied China and having to fight/sneak out. Or manning a turret on the Enterprise during Midway or during the massive, 1000+ plan akakaze assault prior to Iwo.

Or, as the top-off, being there for that last, 300 man Banzi charge on Iwo, which really did happen.

Thoughts?

-I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
widowson on

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    the pacific naval battles would be sweet

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    History-Channel-Battle-For-The-Paci.jpg
    Beat'd!
    seriously though i play tested this, it wasnt that fun

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    More like Medal of Honor: Rising Sun 2, am I right?

Seriously though, they really need to not set it during World War 2. They should put it in a more modern setting. If they want to cover territory that's not done to death... why not the Korean War?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    World War I.

Two months of waiting in a trench. Then you die of trenchfoot.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Medal of Heroes: Company of the Pacific in Arms 2: The Hitlering

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    No... please, no.

This is where medal of honor went to die. Seriously, at MOH's height, when I actually liked their games decently, they were pretty much all europe, with a little africa sprinkled about, and it was good. Every one of their pacific games, though, just sucked. Hard.

If CoD5 wanted to go in a different direction, go for some of the lesser played stuff in the game. For example, maybe have it revolve around a french unit. Think about it.

1940, the germans push into belgium. You defend it, but ultimately get routed. Another map, inside france now, maybe a tank battle. Then a run to dunkirk map.

1942, you're remaining unit has been merged with a few others to make a new free french unit. Cue fights in africa, then italy in '43-44.

1944, operation dragoon. Finally, battles on the outskirts of paris, then freeing the city.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    They might as well just kick a hornet's nest and portray the 5-day war

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    God I wish people would realise we were bored with WW2 so long ago that it was probably still being fought at the time.

Why did COD4 sell 3 million? Because it wasnt in fucking world war fucking two thats why.

Why cant a developer use their time and effort to make something more worthwhile than what is basically shovelware riding on a popular name long ago abandoned by its own creators.

If Inifinity Ward just off the WW2 ship, then what makes you think anyone else could do it better.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Call of Duty 5 will come out, but nobody will care because it is an odd number.
    Then Call of Duty 2042 will come out.

That's right, I'm calling it now.

Sanders on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wouldn't mind them taking a swing at Vietnam. Battlefield Vietnam was my favorite game of the BF series. It had perfect atmosphere, level design, and the licensed music was a lot of fun (Ride of the Valkyries in a helicopter, anyone?). They need to make a sequel to that game, dammit. But anyways, if Infinity Ward made a game set in that era, I can only imagine how great the multiplayer would be.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Treyarch,

That's as far as I read. I really don't care what CoD they put out in the meantime, I'll be waiting for Infinity Ward's next offering.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sanders wrote: »
    Call of Duty 5 will come out, but nobody will care because it is an odd number.
    Then Call of Duty 2042 will come out.

That's right, I'm calling it now.

That's what I'm saying! Either take it farther into the future (sci-fi mumbo-jumbo shit) or farther into the past (I wanna shoot a blunderbuss). It'll either be the greatest or worst thing evar.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gentlemen. It's obvious they should make CoD5 take place in the Hundred Years War. You could be Joan of Arc! Or take part in the battle of Agincourt.

400px-Map_Agincort.svg.png

I mean cmon, no one would expect it.

Athaedos on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Voro wrote: »
    Treyarch,

That's as far as I read. I really don't care what CoD they put out in the meantime, I'll be waiting for Infinity Ward's next offering.

Christ, why do they keep letting them develop Call of Duty games? Fuck you, Activision. Call of Duty 3 was horrible.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Might have something to do with that "We'll exploit all of our franchises yearly" comment.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I still want to see a WWII game that creates an emotional response. As far as I'm concerned they only skimmed the surface in COD4.

I want to see WAR... not glorified 'brotherhood' and all that bullshit. I want to walk away from a WWII game and say "holy shit that must have sucked" and have an urge to go visit a memorial.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    ZuorZuor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    No more wargames of WW I & II please. Just stick with the modern warfare theme. COD4 was the first wargame I got really excited about and I'm hoping more of this will come.

Zuor on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Chances are, CoD5 won't be hitting the PC either.

I never bought CoD4 because I heard the single player campaign was way short, and because I have zero interest in a modern combat setting. Was there anyone else turned off by the modern combat aspect?

Not saying I'd prefer WWII. I'm pretty much fried on realistic/historical FPS games all around.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's going to be WWII guys.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    If you don't like modern OR historical combat you realize that basically leaves spaces marines

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    themocawthemocaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    COD 5: Waterloo

Because everyone should have the opportunity to stand in a line with a hundred other poor saps wielding guns that take thirty seconds to reload, frantically scrambling with your ramrod as, a couple hundred yards away, another hundred poor saps stand in a line and frantically reload and fire their own muskets. . . up until one or the other side has enough, yells, "FIX BAYONETS!" and charges towards the other side wielding muskets tipped with thirteen-inch metal spikes.

themocaw on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I never bought CoD4 because I heard the single player campaign was way short, and because I have zero interest in a modern combat setting. Was there anyone else turned off by the modern combat aspect?

Not saying I'd prefer WWII. I'm pretty much fried on realistic/historical FPS games all around.

I didn't much like the idea at first, but a friend bought me the game on Steam and I got to playing it... It's actually really good. I wish there was a demo out for you to give it a shot, because it still has the feeling of Call of Duty, even with modern weapons.

urahonky on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I wasn't turned off at all. It was a bit short, but it was also probably the most cinematic FPS campaign I've played.

The problem with historic FPS games is that there's really not much territory to cover. WWI was a very static war - most of it consisted of shooting out of holes at other holes. Most of the front was at a standstill for months at a time. Korea had much the same weaponry and tactics as WWII. Vietnam hasn't had much video game treatment. Go back much further, and you're getting into a time where the limitations of firearms becomes a major gameplay issue. Think of a Civil War FPS: Even with a repeater, you spend more time reloading than you do shooting.

Edit:
    urahonky wrote: »
    I wish there was a demo out for you to give it a shot

There is. Probably better links out there for it, but first thing I turned up in google.

Hevach on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Glad to know I can skip cod:5. One less game to buy.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    If you don't like modern OR historical combat you realize that basically leaves spaces marines

Space Marines are pretty sweet.

Not really. I'm getting burnt out on that, too.

Isn't Infinity Ward working on a new IP now?

There isn't really anywhere to go besides WWII and Modern Combat. I don't think anyone wants to try a singleplayer Vietnam game after those travesties that came out a few years ago. And if you step before that, the wars obviously didn't move quickly enough to translate well to gameplay.

Even if everyone jumps to modern combat, that'll get old pretty quickly, and then what will we do?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I didn't much like the idea at first, but a friend bought me the game on Steam and I got to playing it... It's actually really good. I wish there was a demo out for you to give it a shot, because it still has the feeling of Call of Duty, even with modern weapons.

There is a demo, and I've played it. At first I was afraid they'd deviate from the formula too much and it'd be uber realistic and not much fun. Then I played the demo and it felt exactly like CoD2 with new skins and tons of new particle/lighting effects. And that somehow made me even less interested.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know, I'm probably the only person on the planet to, but I really enjoyed Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault. But to be honest, I think that was all the WW2 Pacific Theater FPS I needed and I'd rather not see another one.

It might be interesting to see what CoD5 will do with it, but with Treyarch at the helm, great things are probably not to be expected so maybe it's good that they're taking a setting that Infinity Ward might be able to do far more interestingly (not that the Pacific isn't one of them but it's one I don't care about).

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

There is a demo, and I've played it. At first I was afraid they'd deviate from the formula too much and it'd be uber realistic and not much fun. Then I played the demo and it felt exactly like CoD2 with new skins and tons of new particle/lighting effects. And that somehow made me even less interested.

In the game's defense, I thought the demo was terrible. Someone bought me the game for christmas however, and it is EASILY my favorite CoD game of the series. The story is incredible; the action is so brisk and polished it's hard to put it down.

Then I played the multiplayer.

I haven't stopped playing it since.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It is abundantly clear that the MOH franchise is dead, especially if you compare CoD4 with Airborne

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Since people didn't seem to like my idea of Call of Duty 5: Napoleonic Combat. . .

Call of Duty 5: Six Shooter

Civil War: You are a soldier wielding a Henry Repeating Rifle against the enemy. Setpiece battles include picking up a scoped rifle and sniping enemy officers at Anteitam, manning a gatling gun against hordes of enemy soldiers, and serving as a gunner onboard the USS Monitor as it fights the USS Virginia in the first historic battle between ironclads.

The Alamo: Revolvers, rudimentary repeaters, and the ability to stand on the walls of the Alamo fighting Santa Anna alongside Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett.

The West: In a First for Call of Duty, you answer the call not of the military, but of the forces of law and order. Ride shotgun on a stagecoach defending a shipment of gold and mail from bandits.

themocaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Wasn't bowie laying in bed for most of the alamo fight after he got smashed with a cannon?

They should just call this Call of Duty 5 "Yeah you can miss this one".

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wasn't bowie laying in bed for most of the alamo fight after he got smashed with a cannon?

They should just call this Call of Duty 5 "Yeah you can miss this one".

I think he had dysentery or something, actually.

Anyway, I'm just tossing out ideas.

themocaw on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Gah. Not another CoD 3. Well, I know nothing of the game, but I'm ready to call this shit a wash. Skip it over folks; do yourselves a favor.

Also, could someone put up that Super Paper Mario screen with Peach, and such in response to my post? Thanks.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    They should just use my favorite setting for everything: post-apocalypse wasteland.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Gah. Not another CoD 3. Well, I know nothing of the game, but I'm ready to call this shit a wash. Skip it over folks; do yourselves a favor.

Also, could someone put up that Super Paper Mario screen with Peach, and such in response to my post? Thanks.

Activision needs to listen to these complaints, how did cod3 sell compared to 2 or 4? It couldn't have done too great.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    They should just use my favorite setting for everything: post-apocalypse wasteland.

Holy shit good idea! Get this man a hooker.

urahonky on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Call of Booty 5: In da hood

On the hard streets of south central, you and your crew stab, shoot and occasionally dance your way to dominance of the city.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

Activision needs to listen to these complaints, how did cod3 sell compared to 2 or 4? It couldn't have done too great.

My brother has CoD 3. (I have 1, 2, 4, for the PC). 3 was awful. It was just terrible.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Call of duty 3 is a disgrace.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Tim James wrote: »

Holy shit good idea! Get this man a hooker.

If Infinity Ward got permission to use the Fallout license and made Call of Duty Fallout: A Post-Nuclear Apocalyptic Warfare Game, I'd cum gallons.

GALLONS.

themocaw on