As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Debate Competition: The Hub

13»

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    But my plans are right on track.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    And look who goes first!

The first four people on the list?
    Nope. Quid vs. Not Sarastro, and you vs. Kilroy.

Best get started.

You should make our topic "Kentucky". Then I could argue how much it sucks, and he could argue how great it is.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey moniker. I apologize in advance for all the comments about your tiny penis that will inevitably be coming your way.

jotate on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Who is Kilroy and why was he here?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So allowing people to take either side. What if they both have the same opinion?

Isn't the idea that you assign each of them a side and they have to run with it?

jotate on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If they have the same opinion, I'd hope they look for little nuances they disagree on and debate those. Like if both are in favor of, say, a tough baseball steroid policy but disagree on how many positive tests triggers a lifetime ban, argue the number of tests. It's how an actual debate would go. You might agree on the larger points but disagree on the little particulars.

I would think you do your best debating when you truly believe what you say. That's what I want. I want your A game. I've never liked the 'you're in favor, you're against' assignment system. They wouldn't do that in a real debate. If McCain and Giuliani are both for the war in Iraq, the moderator isn't going to go 'Okay, Senator McCain, tonight you'll be arguing against the war'.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Alright.

I think I'm just going to dedicate myself to taking the opposite position on the issue. Partially because it'll be more awesome that way. Partially because then I'll have an excuse when I get curb stomped.

jotate on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    jotate wrote: »
    Alright.

I think I'm just going to dedicate myself to taking the opposite position on the issue. Partially because it'll be more awesome that way. Partially because then I'll have an excuse when I get curb stomped.

I'm sure that'll make whoever plays you feel real good about beating you.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Alright.

That's the idea. :)

jotate on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Alright.

That's the idea. :)

...I hope I don't play you.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You realize that you're playing right now, right?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=48107

Shouldn't you be gathering information and smiting your enemies?

jotate on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Ah, I didn't notice, thanks for letting me know.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I was wondering why there weren't any responses yet.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, I'm waiting on Kilroy to get back to me so I know what I'm arguing.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If they have the same opinion, I'd hope they look for little nuances they disagree on and debate those. Like if both are in favor of, say, a tough baseball steroid policy but disagree on how many positive tests triggers a lifetime ban, argue the number of tests. It's how an actual debate would go. You might agree on the larger points but disagree on the little particulars.

I would think you do your best debating when you truly believe what you say. That's what I want. I want your A game. I've never liked the 'you're in favor, you're against' assignment system. They wouldn't do that in a real debate. If McCain and Giuliani are both for the war in Iraq, the moderator isn't going to go 'Okay, Senator McCain, tonight you'll be arguing against the war'.

but the entire point of debate is being able to know both sides of the issue

someone who can only argue one side is a terrible debater

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, okay, if you think you can beat the other guy going the other way, that's your perogative. But I'm not going to force you one way or the other.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    in that case, to make sure there is hella clash in my rounds I am going to pick the most extreme positions possible all of the time

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    in that case, to make sure there is hella clash in my rounds I am going to pick the most extreme positions possible all of the time

Your topic is: Term limits
    We should definitely have term limits, because if we don't then the mole people will be able to infiltrate our government and sabotage our country from the inside.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I could argue that position, easy

a good debater can argue any position, regardless of how ludicrous it may seem on face. This is not hyperbole.

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I could argue that position, easy

a good debater can argue any position, regardless of how ludicrous it may seem on face. This is not hyperbole.
    You'll be my special friend.

DISCLAIMER: Randall_Flagg being my special friend relies solely on the RNG being mine.

Gosling on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Has Quid lost yet?

Satan. on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, I'm waiting on Kilroy to get back to me so I know what I'm arguing.

Whoops, I didn't know we were starting tonight. I shall rally my forces, prepare my information, and go forth to smite mine enemies!

...after a good night's sleep and a healthy breakfast of Kashi® organic oatmeal. ;-)

Kilroy on
  • Options
    AcidSerraAcidSerra Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Your topic is: Term limits
    We should definitely have term limits, because if we don't then the mole people will be able to infiltrate our government and sabotage our country from the inside.

Actually I can pick this one up. Going with US since I don't really know UK term limits and so forth.

The concept of term limits has been, and always will be the limiting of any single political organization or person's control of the executive branch of the government. Now I'm not saying there are mole men... but if there were, wouldn't it make sense to add a simple preventative measure such as term limits?

Getting any single spy into a foreign country is hard enough and getting one into a position of power is extremely difficult, but so long as there are term limits the ability of any one foreign agent will be severly limited. The number of incursions needed to maintain a solid political base will increase the likeliness of our detecting a spy, human or otherwise. Especially mole men, with their uniquely long life spans, were they to exist and I don't intend to imply that they do, could possibly hold a position long enough for an entire generation to be sanitized to the effect of having any single person holding a political office, as the mole man in question will have held it their entire life. After thirty odd years of dedicated leadership, they may even be able to pass an otherwise ludacris bill for deep mining in unprofitable locations, places where an army of mole men may lie in wait for a chance to conquer an unsuspecting populace...

Of course this is equally true of any power, foreign or domestic, who wish to harm our great nation. They, through lack of term limits, may well have the chance to weaken key institutions and cause great harm to our great people.

tl;dr: I agree with Randall.

AcidSerra on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    OH GOD DAMMIT.

Kissy kissy ;-)

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Okay, competitors. I think we need to go over a little something called time limits.

I know you're off putting together big, detailed things to use as your arguments, but know that eventually I need to move things along. So let's say, hard and fast, what the time procedure is.

I am using Page 1 of the D&D forum as my timer. As long as your matchup thread stays away from the bottom of the page, and your arguments remain decent, I'm good. But when you're the last thread on the page, or have dropped to Page 2, I will jump in.

*If both sides have made at least one post on a topic to that point, I will simply move on to the next topic.
    *If one or both sides have failed to present an argument, I will open things up to the alternates. At that point, if you are the next to post, and that post is your argument, you stick around. But if an alternate presents their argument before you, the alternate will take your spot and inherit any arguments you've made to that point as their own.

Sound good? Let's move a bit faster.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    AngelHedgie, via PM, is in the alternate pool. He won't be available for the current alternate situation with Not Sarastro, but he will be for the next time. Or if the alternates fail to jump in within the allotted time, AngelHedgie will become eligible at that point.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Quid has withdrawn from the competition in order to see his ailing grandmother in Seattle. If anyone has an opinion on whether I should move AngelHedgie through, or if an alternate should come in to inherit Quid's arguments for topic 3, please say so here.

Gosling on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll sub for Quid I guess.

edit: that is, if there isn't already an alt lined up.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ::shrug:: it looks like the first four people altogether didn't do much. I don't have a problem with you pushing him through.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The alternate procedure is basically 'whichever one gets in first, and if none of them shows up I throw it to the general population'.

I haven't heard anything from any of our alternates since they signed up, though. So I guess you can head on in. I'll get Topic 3 ready.

Gosling on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sorry about that, I wanted to jump in on the "A la Carte cable" thing but work got nasty for me over the last few days. I am on my weekend now and ready to rock and roll.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    clownfood wrote: »
    Sorry about that, I wanted to jump in on the "A la Carte cable" thing but work got nasty for me over the last few days. I am on my weekend now and ready to rock and roll.

THINGS. THINGS WHICH I WISH TO SAY.

Fine then. clownfood, you have priority since you did sign up. deadonthestreet, I'll stick you in the pool for next time.

Gosling on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ok cool

Edit: deleted my post in the debate thread

deadonthestreet on