As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BIG MAN! BIG MAN! LET'S HUMP THIS SHIT UP!

• Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    12 at 120
    10 at 135
    8 at 135
    6 at 155

Does the two sets of 135 bother anyone?

Shoud I be adding 10 pounds to vary it?

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2008
    hey filler how much do you weigh

Tube on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Cum Hero wrote: »
    So I realized tonight that my Monday afternoon bench stuff sucks because I've been underestimating myself.

I've been doing 12 reps of 65, 10 of 75, 10 of 85, and finally 8 at 95.

I just did two sets of 8 at 95 without too much trouble at all.

Thoughts?

I think I told you something along the lines of "You can do more than you think"

Don't jump up too fast, but I'd go for a solid 125 at 8 reps, x3. Probably be good to have someone spot you for a jump in weight like that.

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    RedTide wrote: »
    That's cool man, is that including the bar? How long have you been lifting?

I'd imagine bar included since from what I recall hes pretty tiny (could have forumers crossed though).

Here's my question though SH, have you ever bench till you failed on a rep and needed a spot?

Hey I'm not tiny :(

(about 135 at 5'8" so yeah maybe)

And yeah. We (my roommate and another buddy we work out with) have all agreed we haven't really been pushing ourselves lately. I did a burnout (bench till I fail on my last set, or if I fail early finish the rep with a spotter) and I've been good-sore for a day or so.

Thursdays seem like a good day to focus on chest as only two of us are around (one's got class) so we can just take turns spotting for each other, and because it's the furthest day from Monday, when I usually do chest stuff.

t Tube: yeah, that's including the bar

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    So I'm about to be done school, which will give me tons more time to go to the gym. I've never really got a clear answer about this: is it better to do a lot of lighter weights, or a smaller amount of heavier ones?

It sort of depends on what you want to do, meiss. More reps at a lower weight will give you a more lean look, while fewer reps at a higher weight will help to build mass.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    KingAgamemnonKingAgamemnon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I'm about to be done school, which will give me tons more time to go to the gym. I've never really got a clear answer about this: is it better to do a lot of lighter weights, or a smaller amount of heavier ones?

It sort of depends on what you want to do, meiss. More reps at a lower weight will give you a more lean look, while fewer reps at a higher weight will help to build mass.

Just do both.

KingAgamemnon on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PUMP PUMP PUMP IT UP!

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    well, shit.

I don't want to gain mass, i'm big enough as it is. I'd like the strength though.
    should i be doing 5x5's?

redfenix on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hey filler how much do you weigh

270ish

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I think the whole "lean" look thing is pretty much considered garbage, leanness is purely a matter of body fat. Low to medium reps = size and strength, high reps = muscle endurance (really dumbed down simplification)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I think the whole "lean" look thing is pretty much considered garbage, leanness is purely a matter of body fat. Low to medium reps = size and strength, high reps = muscle endurance (really dumbed down simplification)

It has more to do with tension and fatigue than reps.

High tension + low fatigue = strength and power gains

Medium tension + medium-high fatigue = hypertrophy

Low tension + high fatigue = endurance

Low tension + low fatigue = no point.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    just push weight

do work

KingAgamemnon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So I just spent 45 minutes doing various curls.

Pretty sure that was the biggest waste of time of my entire life.

Tube on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, of your entire life?

Defender on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dudes I am still a total fatty but my shoulders and upper back are feeling wicked strong and awesome and I'm so pleased

#pipe on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I feel like my calves were replaced with knives.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think I'd rather get some strength going, and become leaner. So lots of reps at a lower weight?

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    THUNK

THUNK

THUNK

Tube on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    TUBE ONOMATOPOEIAS WON'T HELP ME

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If you are going to go light with high reps, just do bodyweight exercises or use kettlebells

In fact, I'm looking into kettlebells to incorporate a cardio exercise that doesn't involve me trying to avoid eye contact with the people on the floor

Don't you hate that? Fucking elliptical is facing the weights, I can't help but to stare, don't judge me

KingAgamemnon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So am I wrong in thinking that there's basically no excuse for putting your feet on the bench when you're bench pressing.

Tube on
  • Options
    Riggs BlitzkriegRiggs Blitzkrieg Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I hate it when these bitches use up machines or just sit on the mat talking and not even doing anything. just fucking talking wasting up space when I could be using it.

Riggs Blitzkrieg on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So am I wrong in thinking that there's basically no excuse for putting your feet on the bench when you're bench pressing.

Every other week we set the bench to flat, incline, and then decline. Since I'm a bit shorter than the other guys I work out with I tend to have to put my feet up.

We got the bench for free and it has a very slight wobble to it that can become disastrous under the wrong circumstances.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think I'd rather get some strength going, and become leaner. So lots of reps at a lower weight?

Look a few posts previous, and lose fat

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Every other week we set the bench to flat, incline, and then decline. Since I'm a bit shorter than the other guys I work out with I tend to have to put my feet up.

We got the bench for free and it has a very slight wobble to it that can become disastrous under the wrong circumstances.

I think that putting your feet up makes it a harder lift because you can't push down off the floor to help yourself out. Downside is how it makes you more unstable and is therefore riskier

edit: see page 95-96 in SS:BBT, talks about it there

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This guy said "I'm a personal trainer and it means you can't use your back so it's better" and I went "whatever dude" and went back to my bitchin' curls.

Tube on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    putting your feet on the bench provides no more benefit than simply taking your feet off the floor.

at the same time, i'd much rather have the support of the floor, thank you very much

the wook on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That was the only time I'm ever going to say to someone "hey you might want to not do that because it could be dangerous" because no one cares and it's not my problem.

God I hate the gym.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I keep my feet off the floor during warmups and lightweight, I try to tighten my abs as I do it.

Then I put them down when I am nearing my max. Eh, I don't know if it really matters anyway; assuming you can stay stable, which is easy to do with experience.

KingAgamemnon on
  • Options
    Mojo the AvengerMojo the Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've read in a few different places that feet up is a good way to screw up your neck or back.

also; oh god woodchoppers

Mojo the Avenger on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    choppin wood all day will turn you into a man

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I've read in a few different places that feet up is a good way to screw up your neck or back.

also; oh god woodchoppers

I think what really fucks it up is the dumbass move of bridging with your fucking head like you're trying to wrestle the bar. Yeah, hey, guess where the weight goes when you do that?

Defender on
  • Options
    Mojo the AvengerMojo the Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No doubt that's true, but putting your feet up on the bench fucks up your spinal position and "reduces lateral stability". I mean it's obvious if you lie down on a flat surface and then pull your feet up. Your spine curls up a little and your neck muscles stretch out.

Mojo the Avenger on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm doing romanian deadlifts tomorrow, I checked out some form videos and guides and have rippetoe's guide, but any other tips would be appreciated.

Also, I woke up today with a screaming assfuck headache, went to the gym anyway and that cleared it for three hours, and also cut my lower back DOMS down to a manageable level. Exercise is great.

Way late on this, but

Make sure you're bending at the hips and not at the waist. If you feel strain in your back, you're doing it wrong.

You don't have to go down to parallel, just until you feel a really good stretch in the hams.

Then (the best part) thrust your hips forward forcefully to bring the weight back up and, as someone else said, make sure you squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement.

Rinse and repeat.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Cheerse necro, I don't think I did the hip thrusting hard enough. I will improve on this next week.

Today I got kicked out of the gym because they close early on saturdays apparently and had to finish up in ghetto gym. I also had to do reverse grip bench presses which are fucking bizarre.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Reverse-grip? Like, palms facing up toward your face instead of down toward your feet? That sounds awkward as fuck. How much weight did you have to take off to do it that way?

Defender on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I tried it on my bar at home with 7.5kg on either side to get the feel for it. It's really awkward getting it off the supports. I'm going to ask to change it, along with the decline stuff.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I tried it on my bar at home with 7.5kg on either side to get the feel for it. It's really awkward getting it off the supports. I'm going to ask to change it, along with the decline stuff.

Dunno Tube, seems like that's a good way for this to happen.

KingAgamemnon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

oh man that horrible. How the hell could he figure he could handle that

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited April 2008

oh man that horrible. How the hell could he figure he could handle that

Looks like he took his eyes off the bar, or started before his grip was tight enough. Too much adrenaline.

KingAgamemnon on
This discussion has been closed.