As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pirates of the [Chat]

• Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueberries!

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gim wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Gim wrote: »
    Penn Jillette is going to be on Dancing With The Stars. The man is 17 feet tall. I am unsure of how this will work out.

Magic.

He will build a dancing machine powered by his libertarian rage

I'll watch just to see the inevitable moment when someone thanks God and he runs in and punches them in the face.

It would be interesting to watch him dance, he seems like the kind of guy who is big but graceful. Or he could be a horrible dancer and it would be hilarious to watch his poor partner suffer.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »

Edit: What's audiosurf?

Audiosurf is a game thats a cross between tetris, guitar hero and a media player visualizer

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

:^: Good man!

I swear I am one of the few people who really like Pale Rider, and I have no idea why. Also if I ever met Garth Ennis in person I'd really be worried, his comics are at times very disturbing.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want to be able to buy it in a store.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueberries!

are delicious

Gim on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Isn't steam quicker and easier?

real men use steam

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Pale Rider is a great movie.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gim on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Picking up a USB headset from Best Buy after class. Wooo.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

:^: Good man!

I swear I am one of the few people who really like Pale Rider, and I have no idea why. Also if I ever met Garth Ennis in person I'd really be worried, his comics are at times very disturbing.

Yeah, that's true. He's probably one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet, though.

t nexus: While it sounds interesting, I'd probably suck on multiple levels playing this game.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Isn't steam quicker and easier?

real men use steam

Well I can pick it up on the way home if it's in a store and I'm not ordering anything in class.

Also: people who check their bank things in class are stupid. La la la I have your bank password/account now if I want it.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Pirates aren't too much trouble later on. If you've got your planets armed to the gills the pirates don't stand much of a chance. In the later parts of our game last night dyna and I quit paying off the pirates all together and I just used the money to make more cruisers to kill pirates with.

The pirates are great experience providers for your capital ships!

Another early trouble that vexed me for a while: "Well defended" means a planet with ~15-25 gauss/beam/missle emplacements, or ~3-6 hanger bays full of fighters.

It seems impossible early on, but if you keep in mind that you should allocate a few hundred credits every once in a while to pumping up the defense of that one choke-point planet, you will find that far fewer annoying siege raids get through.
    I've found hangars to be way more effective than gauss cannons. Also, I think now I know enough to put the gauss platforms close to my planet to keep it from being bombarded and not worrying so much about the orbital structures.

Also, the computer can be a complete jerk with the orbital bombardment stuff. They'll ignore everything else and just send 10 or so siege frigates to wipe out a planet.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Pirates aren't too much trouble later on. If you've got your planets armed to the gills the pirates don't stand much of a chance. In the later parts of our game last night dyna and I quit paying off the pirates all together and I just used the money to make more cruisers to kill pirates with.

The pirates are great experience providers for your capital ships!

Another early trouble that vexed me for a while: "Well defended" means a planet with ~15-25 gauss/beam/missle emplacements, or ~3-6 hanger bays full of fighters.

It seems impossible early on, but if you keep in mind that you should allocate a few hundred credits every once in a while to pumping up the defense of that one choke-point planet, you will find that far fewer annoying siege raids get through.
    I've found hangars to be way more effective than gauss cannons. Also, I think now I know enough to put the gauss platforms close to my planet to keep it from being bombarded and not worrying so much about the orbital structures.

Also, the computer can be a complete jerk with the orbital bombardment stuff. They'll ignore everything else and just send 10 or so siege frigates to wipe out a planet.

Do you guys focus on military or Civilian Research mostly? I've only played the TEC so far and the civilian stuff seems so much more useful than the military (except the prototypes, obviously).

JPants on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Depends. If my economy is lagging I will research civilian stuff to up my production, but if I have a surplus of funds I do military research. The ship upgrades (armor, shields, healthpoints, weapons) make a huge difference.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Ghost Rider is a great movie.
    Wha?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I hold it loke Gooey with research.
    Planetary defenses are normally a mix of hangars and weapon platforms (the hangars mostly for fighters, you don't need bombers when you have platforms).

Edit: Oh, you, Will!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    I tend to concentrate more on military research than civilian. I do try to get the production and economic bonuses out of the way early though.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The amount of information shat around public wifi is disturbing.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I dunno, Irond. Playing this game on the heels of Eternal Sonata have left me jaded with this generation's JRPG offerings.

The fact that you aren't scoffing leads me to think you haven't gotten into the tear jerkfest that's around 3/4s in of disc one.

The skill system is endlessly fun to obsess over though. I spend forty minutes last night debating what the best system would be. I guess the game gets kudos for forcing me to think strategically.

I just hit the plot-point you're talking about and... well.. I liked it. I thought it was well-done and kind of affecting. I find the little dream vignettes interesting and refreshing.

I mean, that said, the last JRPG I actually played all the way through was FFVII, so maybe I don't have the right context to really judge such things. I nearly finished Enchanted Arms, which I thought had a puerile story, and I found Blue Dragon's story and characters grating. I've not yet picked up Eternal Sonata because so many people have been griping about it that I didn't really want to risk the $60

My huge beef with Eternal Sonata was that it's story was terribly incoherent and the dialog inane a good 40% of the time.

Lost Odyssey, it's not so much the fact that it tries to involve you emotionally. I really enjoy the vignettes, although I think it's uncanny how many ten year old girl's Kaim has left an impression on through his wanderings. I'm more upset at the sheer volume of tear jerking moments going on. Get to the end of the crimson forest, and if you still feel the way you do, then I guess it either means I've become somewhat jaded with regards to becoming emotionally involved in games, a prospect I don't find enticing, or maybe it just doesn't grate as much to someone that hasn't seen it at all before.

Lost Odyssey is extremely original with regard to some of its characters though. Have to give it that.

Yeah it sounded like Eternal Sonata basically failed to deliver on it's promise of a high-concept story. Cool premise though.

I'll let you know if I start to find Lost Odyssey especially manipulative or grating or anything - maybe I just haven't explored the medium enough to have very refined sensibilities in that regard, much like all those drooling proles and simpering man-children who cried during The Shawshank Redemption.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    :cry:

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

You're German, Haps. If Goethe or Mann are any indication, you guys cry over getting caught at red lights.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

You're German, Haps. If Goethe or Mann are any indication, you guys cry over getting caught at red lights.

Well, I won't necessarily weep because some fool sold his soul to the devil, but... yeah, I weep easily.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Interesting. I always find myself lacking in crystal so i was bumping up 2 civilian labs before even 1 military one.

Talking about the game is making me really excited to play it, and also really sad because i don't think i'll have any time this week at all :(

JPants on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Hesse was an awfully sunny fellow right?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hesse killed [chat]!

But there are many more, like Lessing and Brecht and...
    Printing4_Walk_of_Ideas_Berlin.JPG

Speaking of Lessing, more people should read Nathan the Wise.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Crystal is the Vespene Gas of SoaSE. You're always supposed to be short until late game.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Hesse killed [chat]!

Only the giant metal books survived, huh?

Oh, wrong Heß, because I can't spell in German.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    At 1000 local time I mailed two group members asking for their input. We have to decide on a subject to write a paper about. It is 2107 local time now and I have not heard back from either one of them. <_< Angrrrr

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hesse killed [chat]!

Only the giant metal books survived, huh?

Har, har!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hesse killed [chat]!

"Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair! . . . also available in paperback"

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Haps you're only helping convince me that all German writers are a bunch of whiny sadsacks

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You're a whiny sadback.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The rest of this decade is going to be friggin insane, isn't it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Haps you're only helping convince me that all German writers are a bunch of whiny sadsacks

... and? :P

Haphazard on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The rest of this decade is going to be friggin insane, isn't it.

?

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You're a whiny sadback.

PIP PIP

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You're a whiny sadback.

PIP PIP
    CHEERIO

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You're a whiny sadback.
    PIP PIP
    CHEERIO
    The English stole all of the German cheer. I guess they needed it to offset the weather.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    onnoticegp2.jpg

Zen Vulgarity on
This discussion has been closed.