Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[CoH/CoV] Chat: Issue 12 info arrives!

HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
OP shamelessly stolen (but tweaked slightly!) from Gear Girl, who shamelessly stole it from Bucketman, who shamelessly stole it from Accualt. Pretty much all of the credit goes to them.
BREAKING NEWS!

INFORMATION FOR ISSUE 12 - MIDNIGHT HOUR!

What's new in Issue 12?

The Midnight Squad
An organization of mystics, the Midnight Squad has a secret to end the Rikti Invasion, but without your help, it will remain 'Lost' forever...

Cimerora
"The Midnighters hold many secrets within their walls, including a highly coveted Ouroboros crystal, enabling them to travel to the far reaches of time. There is a familiar threat in an ancient land and the Midnighters need the help of both Heroes and Villains to stop it. Players step foot upon the ancient land of the Roman Cimeroran Peninsula, where they battle deadly creatures, defend an ancient city and ultimately come face to face with the enemy of time itself. Throughout this journey players uncover the mysteries of power and the origins that guide them today."

Roman Style Costumes
Unlocked through achievements ingame, make your Hero or Villain look like a true gladiator.

Epic Archetypes...for Villains!
When a villain hits level 50, they now have two epic archetypes available: Wolf Spiders and Blood Widows. Each of these can branch off into their own different powersets - Wolf Spiders can work as either Bane or Crab Spiders and Blood Widows as Fortunata or Night Widows. All of this comes with a unique story, costume set, missions, and more.

Powerset Proliferation
With Issue 12 comes a brand new opportunity - almost every Hero and Villain archetype will gain access to powers that they didn't have access to before!

Hollows Zone "Gameplay Makeover"
"Significant changes have been made to the Hollows zone to make it more fun! NPC encounters have been rebalanced, including new spawns, new villain groups, mission door improvements, and a mobile hospital has been added to the entrance of the zone. Additionally, Meg Mason, a new contact, has been added to give out repeatable missions."

What else?
Configurable new power trays - customize your UI by placing them anywhere you want.
Contact display redesign - display your contacts as active and inactive, sorting them by a number of criteria.
Inspiration conversion - change three of one kind of inspiration into one of another.
Level-up boost - gain a massive (if temporary) boost to your stats on a level up, as well as full HP and Endurance.
Chat improvements - right click on character names in chat window to ignore, add to friends list, invite to team, etc. Drag any item (enhancement, inspiration, salvage, etc.) into the chat window so that you and others can click a hotlink to view the complete info box.
More real numbers - players can now display stats on powers before they choose them enabling more informed power selection and new temporary powers allow players to display enemy stats.

Credit for the following belongs to Accault.

How good is CoX?
Spoiler:
Soooo good.

In this thread we discuss all things City of Heroes and City of Villains. For those new to our world here is a brief FAQ.

City of Villains___________________________________________________________________________________________City of Heroes
cityofheroesvillainslarun8.jpg

Get ready to put the tights on because Cryptic is serving up a 10 Day Free Trial. What does that mean? It means you get a the chance to play the Best Super Hero based MMO of All Time*for FREE!
*By best we mean only, though it is very good.

10 Day Free Trials, EXCELSIOR!

Any active (or inactive) subscriber can send out a few Friend Invites which have a 10 Day Free Trial. We simply need your e-mail to do so. If you decide you like the game and subscribe for two months the person who sent out the invite gets a free month of game time. Very niiiice.

PA plays on the Virtue server.

If you want in, make with the post asking for someone to PM you, then respond with your e-mail. We don't want to accidentally send one person multiple invites since there are only a limited number available. If you end up liking it you can buy the Good vs Evil edition in stores or online for $30 which gives you access to both games and a free month or get just CoH or CoV from the NCSoft store for $20 each. They also include a free month so for $40 you can get two months...meaning you pay $10 for the client instead of $15 when buying the GvE edition. It should be noted GvE comes with some special costume parts, badge, and a jump jet thingy that is okay. ALSO, if you are ACTUALLY INTERESTED and are WILLING TO PAY A MONTHLY FEE for a game someone MIGHT be able to hook you up with a Buddy Pass. All active CoXers got ONE Buddy Pass, which is a 10 day trial that lets you start playing the game for $15 a month afterwards without having to buy the client. Don't be a douche and try to get a Buddy Pass if you don't think you'll actually pay to play the game.

The 411 on City of Heroes/Villains, yo.

Character Creation is likened onto a game of its own.
At launch CoH had something like 3 trillion potentially different costume configurations. Since then they have easily doubled the number of costume pieces, not to mention added face scalers, particle effects, wings, capes, trench coats, etc. So the current number of potential costumes numbers somewhere in the range of awholefuckinglot.
Spoiler:
Here is a sample of some of the PAers Team Night characters.
Spoiler:

If you've ever wanted to be a robotic undead pirate with a leather fetish and fondness of 80's colorful fashion who can shoot electricity from his hands THIS is the game for you.
patronpowersciroccothumzl2.jpg
Download this Character Builder or Mid's Hero Designer for a list of all powers and Archetypes in the game.

Continued in the next post...

Hylianbunny on

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just buy a time card or find a cheap CoV box and add the code to your account.

bO0v7.png
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Information about -useTexEnvCombine has been added to the Other FAQ's section.

• Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What are the prices for time cards?

TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »

I hope that wasn't targetted at me.

I really don't want to spend thirty dollars (because hereabouts, all you find are the 2-month cards) just to log in once and see that the game still runs terribly.

sometimes you just gotta do a thing
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What are the prices for time cards?

$15 for 30 days and $30 for 60 days.

Macro9 wrote: »

I hope that wasn't targetted at me.

I really don't want to spend thirty dollars (because hereabouts, all you find are the 2-month cards) just to log in once and see that the game still runs terribly.

bO0v7.png
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm in your base blue dottin' your thread. Also PM me your email salt.

• ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have three trials currently available.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: Hyougen
  • GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I remember our first megathread back in the first MMO subforum.

What a golden age that was.

steam_sig.png
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I remember the first CoH thread I made in G&T and how epic it was.
    Then waking up one day to find it got moved to its own Hot Topic forum.
    And then later in the day discovering I was a mod in the hot topic forum by accidentally editing someone else's post when I meant to hit the quote button. I was so confused.
    Information about -useTexEnvCombine has been added to the Other FAQ's section.

Awesome, I was thinking about editing that in to the old one.

• randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I wonder if we will see a change in quality of the issues now that cryptic has moved on.

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User
    edited February 2008
    I wonder if we will see a change in quality of the issues now that cryptic has moved on.

I doubt it, NCNC is still the same team as when CoX was under Cryptic managment. I guess we might see some even more awesome issues now that NCSoft is hiring more staff to the liveteam.

LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hopefully the increased staff will mean more art & costumes, and the ability to code more new features...so the quantity will at least go up, and the quality stuff will come faster.

• Gear GirlGear Girl Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hmm well thanks to ubergeek I got my card running at about 63 idle and 82 playing a game. That is a bit better I guess.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    Oh man City of Heroes runs so much better on this machine

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i will not allow you to get married Accoult!!! I WANT YOU ALL TO MYSELF!!!!!!

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Speicher, GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    HEY COH DEVS, HOW BOUT SOME UPDATED LOADING SCREENS? STATESMAN HAS HAD A CAPE FOR YEARS NOW. CAPS LOCK KICKS SO MUCH ASS KTHX.

XBL: Mega Spooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can change your loading screen with this. I have spiderman as my hero background and venom as the villain.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: Hyougen
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User
    edited February 2008
    I want to have screenshots of Accualt's wedding as my loading screens. This needs to happen soon.

QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
    edited February 2008
    Sonna says, "I will get on it and design some dresses and crap tomorrow and let me look at my calender, I'll give you a tentative date."
    Probably be a Monday or Tuesday night, since she isn't on call then. If we need it to be a weekend night it'll have to be the 15th/16th.

If you guys have any suggestions/ideas please lay them out.

edited February 2008
    Mons/Tues I'm in class all day, but my account's inactive atm so I guess it's moot.

edited February 2008
    But Scoot you have to be there.
    I mean, like, absolutely must be there.

• HJFrewHJFrew Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Are you still going to do it in Perez Park? That would be wonderful supreme.

• RingoRingo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The 15-16th is the end of Championship week.

ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hrm, I'm torn between making an AR/kin and an AR/rad.

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    stand up! It was the smallest on the list but
    pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know, I might resub for Acc's wedding. Just wondering if I should take Nan or make a whole new guy.

newSig.jpg
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Speicher, GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How are Arch/Dev blasters? I was thinking about making one in my latest fury of alts.

XBL: Mega Spooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • korodullinkorodullin What. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think the general consensus is "Good, but not as good as the new batch of players playing them may have you think". The new animation times for the powers are great, and it goes really well with the new Defiance. But its damage is still really low, and only gets lower as you come across stuff in the 30s and 40s with shedloads of Lethal resist. The only problem is, from a gameplay standpoint, /Dev does next to nothing to offset Archery's big problems, which are damage and endurance usage; you end up devouring your End due to the speed of the set and the frequency at which you use attacks.

A secondary like /Energy or /Elec does wonders to address both issues, but it tends to ruin 80% of the character concepts people may have for an Archer.

impale.png
  • RagRag Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Man, I didn't even pick up stamina on my archer until the late 20s, and I had hasten going as often as I could.
    The attacks cost a ridiculously small amount of end, you don't eat it up at all.
    I'm also really tired of seeing the lethal resist argument. The mobs also get pretty much every other type of resist at that level as well, and scrappers, who have five lethal sets, seem to do alright.
    As for the damage, it's not really as much lower as you're making it out to be. Really, only the first two powers are low, but they recharge incredibly quickly. The cone and targeted AoE do EXACTLY the same damage as AR's. The nuke does about 6 less damage than Full Auto, has a much smaller animation time, and it, much like FA, blows away conventional nukes in term of overall usefulness. The high damage arrow does about as much damage as snipes and things like blaze from the other sets. Furthermore, archery has an even higher base accuracy than AR, leaving it with 86.6% acc, base, opposed to 75% for the elemental sets.

• PbPb Registered User
    edited February 2008
    With the animation times I'm almost tempted to make another, but I still don't quite get the love for /Dev. It would make sense a few Issues ago, where you could use Targeting Drone (and maybe tactics) and the inherent accuracy to potentially skip slotting for accuracy, but with IOs it's worthless. It really don't have any synergy.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The problem with all the blaster secondaries is that the force you into melee, which seems to me like it would hurt archery a lot more than other sets, because of redraw time. Dev is the only ranged-support set that blasters really have, in addition to being really the only set that makes any sort of conceptual sense with archery.

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
  • GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That has been my long standing issue with it. /Dev always seemed to make more sense from my squishy perspective. Going toe to toe with a Crey Power Tank or the goddamn Envoy of Shadows is a bad idea.

And for an energy blaster it makes even less sense since my primary forces me to create distance between a target whereas all my secondary powers want me to wade into them.

With all the changes to the various powers and the decreases in debt I suppose it's not nearly as attractive as it used to be. Dying being less of a deal and xp being easier to come by so who knows.

steam_sig.png
  • CorvusCorvus Caw? VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    The problem with all the blaster secondaries is that the force you into melee

Thats because Blaster are not a ranged AT, they're a damage AT. The range at which its done is not all that relevant. Sure, you don't necessarily want to spend all your time in melee, but the danger of being in melee is vastly over rated IMO.

Ice is a very good secondary if you want to avoid melee by and large though. It has only three melee attacks, one of which is a hold. Shiver is an excellent tool for keeping mobs at range, as is Ice Patch. Ice Patch *is* PbAoE, which is unfortunate, but its something you can work with easily.

Hell, you could easily make a ranged only Arch/Energy and Perma-boost range with it.

As for concepts, there are more archer concepts going around than "guy who makes arrows/gadgets and has no other powers" If thats the concept you're going for, sure Dev might be the way to go, but with sufficient application of creativity, you can create a concept with any combination of powersets. AR/Elec? Mutation or Electrical generation gauntlets/implants/magical artificat, etc.

edited February 2008
    Yes I realize the broadness of the human mind makes almost any character concept possible. The point is most people seem to like the idea of arch/dev.

Also, WRT the half-sentence you quoted, the point is that Arch/ is singularly poor at melee combat because of the redraw times on your bow. You're in melee, you can't use range as mitigation, and you're wasting time in which other blasters would be blasting drawing your weapon.

The point about ice is a good one.

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Whoops, meant it for the champions thread.

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    So I got a random urge to try CoX again. I did a two-week trial years ago, and that's pretty much all I've played.

So what are the options? I can't get a new trial to my old account, right?

edited February 2008
    No, otherwise people would just play on free trials all the time. You'd have to start a new one.

• EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    I don't really care about my old character (level 15-ish mind/gravity controller), but I hate having to add numbers to my account name. :P

Eh, guess I'll go for a trial for now.

edited February 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    No, otherwise people would just play on free trials all the time. You'd have to start a new one.

For what it's worth, someone sent me a 10-day trial and I slapped it onto the account I've had since like Issue 2.

It was the first trial code that account's used, though.

• GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    The problem with all the blaster secondaries is that the force you into melee, which seems to me like it would hurt archery a lot more than other sets, because of redraw time.
    There is no such thing. If your attack requires a weapon redraw the attack animation will be sped up to compensate, the total time will be exactly the same as if you already had the weapon ready.

edited February 2008
    Is that really how it works? I guess I haven't done any testing, but it doesn't seem like any of my AR/ characters work that way.

gkcmatch_zps97480250.jpg
This discussion has been closed.