As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix - Now playing on Steam and the DS

El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix!

What is it?

It's the sequel to Puzzle Quest, but the gameplay now has a sci-fi setting. The gameplay has changed significantly from a simple grid, to a hexagonal playing field. The idea of classes is right out and the RPG elements will be more free-form as to how you develop your character/ship(s). "Gems" are still collected by matching 3, 4, or 5 in a row, and new gems slide into play based on the move you made to match (move a gem up to match, new gems come up from the bottom).

When is it coming out?
It's currently available for the PC on Steam and other online retailers. The DS version has shipped as well. No word on when other versions will be released.

What platforms?

PC, Xbox 360 Live Arcade and Nintendo DS, UPDATE! PS3 and PSN are now included as well

Official web site: http://www.infinite-interactive.com/galactrix.php

Screenshots!
GAL_Screen1.jpg

GAL_Screen6.jpg

GAL_Screen5.jpg

Update 7/25/08:
Videos! Flash Demo!

Linky

The Flash demo is similar to the full game but some of the play mechanics are different from the final version. You're better off trying the downloadable version.

Download the full demo!

http://www.bigdownload.com/games/puzzle-quest-galactrix/pc/puzzle-quest-galactrix-demo/

El Guaco on

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i dont know if im prepared to lose as many hours from my life as the original puzzle quest consumed... but sci fi puzzle quest is a mightily awesome concept so...

yea this is bought

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bought on day one.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can't see the pictures, but a Puzzle Quest set in Space sounds awesome. I will buy it day 1.

urahonky on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I can't see the pictures, but a Puzzle Quest set in Space sounds awesome. I will buy it day 1.
    Shit yeah. Space + improved puzzle mechanics + more character building freedom = many, many hours lost. Many a commute will be brightened by this game.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm there.

Hm, so four-of-a-kind produces a double effect rather than an extra turn this time? Could be less annoying when your opponent gets five of them in a row.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ugh. No PSP version? Aside from the companion bug (which was no big deal) it was arguably the best version of the game owing to its portability and production values.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got the PC version of Puzzle Quest recently and though it is awesome, I'm actually beginning to see matching gems when I close my eyes, no joke.

Puzzle Quest in Space will kill me, and I will love every second.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    stranger678stranger678 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DS and XBLA, I love the first one far too much to resist this.

stranger678 on
    PASig.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've heard it will be on every console.

And the companion bug was a huge deal.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What was the companion bug? The companions were pretty useless so I can't see having them bug out being a big deal.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    What was the companion bug? The companions were pretty useless so I can't see having them bug out being a big deal.

They didn't work. It wouldn't have been a big deal if PQ had only been on the PSP. But since you had like 4 other platforms it worked completely on for the same price...

Yeah.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bought.

But man, I hope they fix the AI so it doesn't feel like it is cheating.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Bought.

But man, I hope they fix the AI so it doesn't feel like it is cheating.

Not much info has been released so far about details of game play, but I did see a brief comment about how developers were concerned about players feeling cheated (despite the fact they insisted it wasn't so). From the screen shots it looks like 4 in a row doubles the effect instead of giving an extra turn, which will prevent seemingly endless turns by the AI. If that's true, looking for chains of 4 or more won't be as critical as it was in PQ.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I loved that shit. Whenever I got huge strings of combos, I'd woot. Whenever the Ai did, I 'd hollar cheat.

Even tho I knew for a fact it was just all random.

I think it was the same with all of us. It was just so easy.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Argh. I JUST FINISHED Puzzle Quest D:

Rhaka on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hope the price range dosent change, ill buy it on steam, and the ds for sure.

Lets not talk about how the ai cheats please. I like unlocked threads......

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm excited, but to be honest I would have liked to see them tackle a different puzzle game. Make it a companion piece to Puzzle Quest, as it were, rather than Puzzle Quest 2.0: In Space!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm still trying to beat Lord Bane D:

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Kain_HighwindKain_Highwind Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Crack 2.0 -- just what my already unproductive day needed.

This'll be sweet to pop in when the g/f starts watching her wedding shows/lifetime movies/vag chronicles/etc.

Kain_Highwind on
    kainhighwindsigxz2.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm scared about the changes.

Doesn't really matter though, bought so hard

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rhaka wrote: »
    Argh. I JUST FINISHED Puzzle Quest D:

This sounds like the perfect opportunity to play it again as a different character class. :D
    At least that's what I kept telling myself to combat the empty feeling inside. D:

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »

They didn't work. It wouldn't have been a big deal if PQ had only been on the PSP. But since you had like 4 other platforms it worked completely on for the same price...

Yeah.

The game was horrendously easy without them, I can't imagine it with them functional.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's about the same. They really don't do a whole lot for you, though one gives you extra red mana to make that first turn deathbringer/berserk rage all the stronger.

Regarding the AI: I recently picked up the PC version and, though I'm only a few fights in, it seems that the AI doesn't pick up available 4+ combos every time like in the DS version. I'm still pretty convinced that the DS AI at least knew when a regular match would give an extra turn through elemental mastery, but most other things happen infrequently enough to easily attribute to chance.

Bama on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Urgh, no PSP version??

Well it won't be released for some time yet so hopefully they'll eventually release it on every concievable medium like the original PQ.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    I'm excited, but to be honest I would have liked to see them tackle a different puzzle game. Make it a companion piece to Puzzle Quest, as it were, rather than Puzzle Quest 2.0: In Space!

What -- a hexagonal board with gems falling from more than one side isn't different enough for you? :P

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I honestly just hope this one is more balanced than the original. Got sick of Warrior abuse. Still buying it though.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I honestly just hope this one is more balanced than the original. Got sick of Warrior abuse. Still buying it though.

Every class of PQ could be exploited in some way if some key element of the gameplay was taken to the extreme. Eventually your skills outpaced the AI so much it was just going through the motions to get to the final boss. My hope is that by doing away with class systems, the new PQ will make building your character require more thought than boosting skill X to maximum.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    wolfman405wolfman405 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The only thing that bothered me about PQ was how short it was... I was left hanging because ooop there's Bane ooop he's dead... and now I'm left with no more PQ... I'm buying this one right away.

wolfman405 on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Argh. Do I take the pretty graphics of the Xbox? Or the portability of the DS?

I'll probably get the DS version first, then the XBLA one later.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    wolfman405 wrote: »
    The only thing that bothered me about PQ was how short it was... I was left hanging because ooop there's Bane ooop he's dead... and now I'm left with no more PQ... I'm buying this one right away.

I actually disagree completely, I felt Puzzle Quest went on too long. This was my progression:

25% in: This game is freaking sweet!
    50% in: This is cool. I'm getting pretty powerful. I wonder how much gameplay is left?
    75% in: Shouldn't this be over by now? How many more battles do I need to fight?
    Completion: Praise the Lord, I can finally stop seeing gems every time I close my eyes!

That said, I still really liked the game, so this is bought day one. Based on these screenshots, it looks like they're abandoning the over-the-top anime art style, too? If so, that can only be a good thing.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I love the DS version for the stylus control. I can't even wrap my head around the concept of a different input method.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    IdolNinja wrote: »

I love the DS version for the stylus control. I can't even wrap my head around the concept of a different input method.

Same

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thirded. Even the PC version feels a bit off.

Bama on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think this game has been in development since before the original Puzzle Quest was finished. I remember seeing it on their website after playing the original PQ demo. I guess they added "Puzzle Quest" to the title for the name recognition.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. The game looks great. I still need to finish the original game.

SteevL on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I bought the DS and XBLA versions of PQ and felt both forms of gem selection worked great. I made fewer mistakes on the XBLA because of the size, clarity, and color differences, though.

Puzzle Quest must have done bang up business because when this game was first announced it didn't have the Puzzle Quest name attached to the front of it.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Speaking of mistakes, did anyone encounter a bug in the DS version of PQ where the selection would be a few gem widths to the left of where the stylus was touching? I had it happen in a few sessions during a trip back home and thought the x-ray machine at the airport had fried either the ds or my PQ cart. It stopped after a couple of screen calibrations, several reboots, and a few days, but boy was I pissed.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    All I had was a bunch of crashes (on the DS)

LewieP on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    2008, the year of wallet rape continues. I may just resist this one just to save my sanity.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    2008, the year of wallet rape

I thought that was last year, primarily a few months ago.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hope the PC version comes out at the same time as the other versions this time. Oh man this looks so good I can't wait.
    From the official page:
    * Create a persistent pilot who gains skills and ships as he completes more battles.
    * Each enemy you fight will require different tactics.
    * Individual battles require only 5-10 minutes of time.
    * Experience a conquer-the-galaxy style campaign mode.
    * Find new objects to make your pilot and ship all-powerful.
    * Trade supplies throughout the galaxy to increase your wealth.
    * Meet companions who will join your crew and aid you in battle.
    * Take your pilot and ship online against other players.
    * Compete for positions on the online high score tables.
    * Download new content - ships, items, plans, planets, factions and missions.

vhzod on